Dark Knight Rises

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Endless Mike

Re: Dark Knight Rises

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
IcedT wrote:All I know is I couldn't be more stoked that Bane is in it.

Considering half the comic writers can't even write Bane... I am not. At all.

While true, it is pretty hilarious when you realize he was created by Chuck Dixon, whose writing is best described as "generic."

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Everytime I think of the Dark Knight I get depressed because Heath Ledger won't be reprising his role as the best Joker I've ever known. God, why did he have to accidentally OD?

I was looking at the Arkham Asylum game and just sulking at how bad the Joker was compared to Heath's Joker. I look at Nicholson and can't help but resent him deeply.

Oh, and anyone see Anne in the Catwoman suit? That suit is atrocious. As in, worse than campy TV series Batman suits. I'll watch anything with Tom Hardy in it though -- he's too pretty to neglect.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

It's a black catsuit with goggles and sensible boots. I think it looks fine. I'm not really sure what more you expected?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:I was looking at the Arkham Asylum game and just sulking at how bad the Joker was compared to Heath's Joker. I look at Nicholson and can't help but resent him deeply.

Ehh, I like Nicholson's joker for the familiarity it has with the comics. Ledger's joker was very good, though it felt like a completely different character.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:It's a black catsuit with goggles and sensible boots. I think it looks fine. I'm not really sure what more you expected?
I was expecting it to be cat-themed, not just generic black kit.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

It's literally the Darwyn Cooke design without a hood and plus a utility belt.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

What is she doing there, stomping grapes for wine? The jumpsuit looks handy for keeping clean during wine-making. :mrgreen:

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
IcedT wrote:All I know is I couldn't be more stoked that Bane is in it.

Considering half the comic writers can't even write Bane... I am not. At all.

While true, it is pretty hilarious when you realize he was created by Chuck Dixon, whose writing is best described as "generic."

Really all of my experience with Batman comes from the cartoon, which I remember being pretty excellent. But I was like 12 at the time, so maybe I was being generous. Either way, Bane. I'm stoked.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:38 am UTC

Does this look to you like Catwoman? Or, some generic thief chick archetype in the history of action film? The hair, dear goodness. Where's the cat theme?

Compare that to the Joker or Bane. Pretty unique aesthetics that make the character stand out without having to repeat the name.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:44 am UTC

Maybe they were going more for this type of cat theme.

No it's not really related but I kind of love that video...
double epsilon = -.0000001;

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:
Does this look to you like Catwoman? Or, some generic thief chick archetype in the history of action film? The hair, dear goodness. Where's the cat theme?

Compare that to the Joker or Bane. Pretty unique aesthetics that make the character stand out without having to repeat the name.

That is a little worrisome.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 am UTC

Well, remember, Batman looked like this at first.
Spoiler:

I wouldn't assume that this is the final incarnation of her costume.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Image

She looks like a cat burglar. Why does she have to be cat themed? I would also argue that the goggles give a reasonable cat look.

And yes, it might not be the final version of it.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

Well you give batman goggles instead of the mask and change his cape for some nifty accessories. Try telling me he's Batman after that.

The cat mask is as much Catwoman as Batman's mask is.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

Hm, yes, because there are long-used Batman costumes that have a prominent pair of goggles as their main feature.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:It's literally the Darwyn Cooke design without a hood and plus a utility belt.

It's the hood that makes the catness :P Plus the goggles here are more cat-eye shaped than the plain black ones on the new costume.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

Yeah, they could've at least put some cat-ear-thingies on the goggles.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Hm, yes, because there are long-used Batman costumes that have a prominent pair of goggles as their main feature.

Ugh, the point keeps going right past you.

It wouldn't be Batman because Batman withot his bat mask and cape is not Batman. The theme is important. Likewise, Catwoman without the cathood and some generic, non-cat eyed shaped goggles just becomes generic sexy thief.

The costumes and particularly masks are mainstays of the brand. It's like changing Superman's emblem to some other letter, removing the cape, and changing the colors. He might look cool, but he's not Superman any longer.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

No, I get the point. I just don't consider it a valid one. If having cat ears is Catwoman's defining trait, then she's a horrifically boring character.

The Penguin doesn't look like a penguin so clearly he shouldn't be the Penguin am I right?

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:No, I get the point. I just don't consider it a valid one. If having cat ears is Catwoman's defining trait, then she's a horrifically boring character.

The Penguin doesn't look like a penguin so clearly he shouldn't be the Penguin am I right?

Her ears aren't her defining trait, but it lends to the aesthetic appeal of the character. Those little hooks and tropes from which we can build the character from, ANY character can be well written but when you're working from years of source material and an existing character, you'd expect them to keep the most noticeable features. That said, I want to see Nolan's take on Catwoman because I'd like to be surprised with a new, clever incarnation that works well in a plot.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Well you give batman goggles instead of the mask and change his cape for some nifty accessories. Try telling me he's Batman after that.

The cat mask is as much Catwoman as Batman's mask is.

Sorta? I mean, it's not even close to the same mask, and seems to range from no mask at all to a complete head/hair covering. Might as well demand that she have a tail too.

Really, so far I liked the Hathaway one because she was wearing a black suit but her tits weren't hanging out and .. then I saw that picture. Which.. well, no, her tits aren't hanging out, but... still annoys me.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:19 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:No, I get the point. I just don't consider it a valid one. If having cat ears is Catwoman's defining trait, then she's a horrifically boring character.

Nose, body shape, the attire imitating the black and white contrast, stature.

The point of these characters is to quickly stand out for what they represent, and in comics this is done aesthetically. In Batman, the characters that are not part of society are aesthetically different.

If you can't respect the style, choose something else to bring to the big screen.

SecondTalon wrote:
Sorta? I mean, it's not even close to the same mask, and seems to range from no mask at all to a complete head/hair covering. Might as well demand that she have a tail too.

Really, so far I liked the Hathaway one because she was wearing a black suit but her tits weren't hanging out and .. then I saw that picture. Which.. well, no, her tits aren't hanging out, but... still annoys me.

And the majority of those incarnations have the cat hood. What has been the comic presence of those two unmasked and the semi-mask? Batman has similarly had various incarnations, but the images for both Catwoman and Batman remain the bat mask and cape, and the cat hood.

Hathaway's cat suit didn't have the tits hanging out, but they babe-fied her via the hair.

She's said that the suit does a lot in the movie, and one of the things I'm hoping it does is a change of costume into Catwoman. Nolan did well by Dark Knight, so I'm holding out hope.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:

Nose, body shape, the attire imitating the black and white contrast, stature.

The point of these characters is to quickly stand out for what they represent, and in comics this is done aesthetically. In Batman, the characters that are not part of society are aesthetically different.

If you can't respect the style, choose something else to bring to the big screen.

Or you could, you know, pick a comic version, not one from one of Burton's awful movies. (Sorry, it's true.)

I mean, I'm not sure what "short fat guy who wears a top hat and likes umbrellas and sometimes has a pointy nose" is reminiscent of an antarctic aquatic bird, but whatever.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Burton's version has gothic make-up and long hair. That's pretty much the difference with comic depictions.

You can't see how a rotund, short, beak-nosed, tuxedo wearing character resembles a penguin? Somehow I doubt that :roll:

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Really, so far I liked the Hathaway one because she was wearing a black suit but her tits weren't hanging out and .. then I saw that picture. Which.. well, no, her tits aren't hanging out, but... still annoys me.

Toning down the overt sex appeal is nice. However I think what will really matter is how her character is played out in the movie, and whether or not she is replaceable by a blow-up doll.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

She has stupid cat ears and high heels. Happy now?

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Seriously? Those HEELS! I mean, I have limited experience walking in heels but fuck, how are you meant to fight people in those? How can you walk fast and over large distances without serious damage to your feet? Shit, even having to act in those must be painful. It hurts me to think about it...

*shudder*
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

Aw man, that's disappointing. After all the hype about a "sensible" costume and they cripple her right out of the gate.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

The problem is those ears/head area. She looks silly, and part of what's made this movie series successful is that they manage to take ridiculous outfits and make them not look silly, but in fact like they fit into the world.

We'll see, although I'm fine with the catsuit if only wished a little bit more detail to gadgets and tools since the character akin to Batman was big on them. I'm fairly sure sex appeal is staying in since Catwoman was all about the femme fatale look. A Batman but with a 1930's guy's ideas of female sensibility.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

A good point that I've read online: if she's a super cat burglar, then she should have short hair and a costume that covers her head (like she does in Arkham City), because she doesn't want to leave any DNA evidence.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:Seriously? Those HEELS! I mean, I have limited experience walking in heels but fuck, how are you meant to fight people in those? How can you walk fast and over large distances without serious damage to your feet? Shit, even having to act in those must be painful. It hurts me to think about it...

*shudder*

They're actually knives with which she can slit throats. They're probably sharp enough for that.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

I'll still wait and see how it looks in the film, rather than a poor quality photograph. There's still a lot that can be done post-production to make things look different.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:11 am UTC

That would make sense for the headgear, but why would they put her in heels just to take them out in post-production? I just look at those and I go, there is no way she'll be climbing up any walls anytime soon.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:15 am UTC

She may well have more than one costume / costume variant, I'd think. I'm with Jesse in the wait-and-see brigade. Nolan normally has a reasonably solid artistic vision.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:55 am UTC

Maybe the heels are springs that she uses when she isn't on all-fours! Or magical boots like Chell had in portal. I'd even accept Inspector Gadget heels that will extend, for whatever good that does.

mister k

Postby mister k » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:That would make sense for the headgear, but why would they put her in heels just to take them out in post-production? I just look at those and I go, there is no way she'll be climbing up any walls anytime soon.

I suspect/hope that there'll be two costumes. If we imagine catwoman as an inspired thief playing dress up (as I feel like Selina is meant to be in Year One, from which the dark knight series has gathered inspiration), then perhaps she'll begin with the heels and realise that they are utterly impractical. If she spends the entire film fighting the Bat in heels then I will be very disappointed.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:42 am UTC

I don't think they are different costumes. It looks like the "cat ears" are just the goggles when she takes them off and puts them on top of her head.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

Her stunt double is wearing some sort of elevated heel shoes that just have really tall heels that just make the back of the shoe taller(sorry bad with fashion). If you look up the pictures of the stunt double on a bike you will see she clearly won't be always wearing heels.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:Her stunt double is wearing some sort of elevated heel shoes that just have really tall heels that just make the back of the shoe taller(sorry bad with fashion). If you look up the pictures of the stunt double on a bike you will see she clearly won't be always wearing heels.

If we weren't talking about a Comic Movie, where history shows that Film, TV, Books, and often even Comics have a habit of shitting all over the Comic medium, you'd be talking sense.

But since this is Comics we're talking about... it.. wouldn't surprise me at all if the heels flip up or something for when she's on the bike, and flip down the moment she gets off.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 am UTC

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”