Futuroomba!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Bender's Big Score (watch out for spoilers)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

It sounds like Sweden, and that's close enough for TV?

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It sounds like Sweden, and that's close enough for TV?

Yeah... yeah... I know. :(
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Hey, I'm Swedish, I feel your pain...

Let's stop distinguishing between americans and mexicans! That'll teach 'em!
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

In some parts of the US, it's not even that inaccurate.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

Geekthras wrote:Wait, he made it all the way to New York with them still on his tail... dang.

I'm thinking he got bored after escaping them and decided to destry New York. He is Bender, after all.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:59 am UTC

This movie was awesome. I've seen it twice so far. Futurama has never been full continuity, if you think about it. Think about how many episodes Fry has gotten Leela to final love him in the end? A lot, that's how many. It was full of great quotes and it was in all a good movie. It was truly like a movie length episode. An epic one at that.

I'm loving the holiday song mp3. I'd been looking for one since I saw the movie.
Also, can someone get the timecode in a binary translator? There's no way it doesn't have significance. This is the show that had advanced cryptography randomly inserted.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:51 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Also, can someone get the timecode in a binary translator? There's no way it doesn't have significance. This is the show that had advanced cryptography randomly inserted.

I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but from memory:
The left half is the numbers 1 through 6 written in binary. The right half is a mirror image of the left half.

Code: Select all

No real mathematical significance that I'm aware of, but certainly pretty.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 am UTC

It's stated in the commentary that they carefully made it be palindromic since Fry reads it with a mirror.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

I probably should have checked the commentary.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Stief

Postby Stief » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 am UTC

I really liked this film ^_^
@Sir_Elderberry...you have part of my eternal love...

Spoiler:
I loved how they had Bender causing New York's destruction in the background from the first episode :D
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

backrub

Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs

Postby backrub » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Good news, everyone!

sorry couldn't resist... but I just wanted everybody to know that the next straight to DVD Futurama movie (The Beast with a Billion Backs) is now available for preorder on Amazon. (Preordered mine this morning)

I am sure many of you enjoy the show, as it is intelligent and funny at the same time (similar to some webcomic I read whose name escapes me...). I am also sure many of you remember how evil Fox was for taking it off the air.

Well I am still new here so maybe nobody cares, but I personally would really love for the show to make a return (either on Fox or Comedy Central).. and I think the only way to do that, and I think many fans would agree, is to really show our support by buying (and preordering) these DVDs. If I am not mistaken, that is how Family Guy made it back. (Although that show is not my cup of tea, and so I am not well informed of its history)

So if you want to preorder, or wait until it is available to just buy, here is the link to amazon: amazon link

And for those who have not seen the first straight to DVD movie (Bender's Big Score), take note:

Comedy Central will be showing "Bender's Big Score" on Easter Sunday (March 23rd) at 8:00 PM. The movie is split into 4 parts, going to 10:00 PM including commercials.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Futurama

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Mashed together Futurama, Bender's Big Score, and a brand new topic about Futurama. Leaving the Favorite Futurama Episodes topic alone.. for now.

So, Pre-release on Amazon... looks like the June release date is a good date.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

backrub

Postby backrub » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

Oh.. sorry about that SecondTalon. Did a search for Futurama and just found a bunch of references... but no clear cut Futurama specific topic. Thanks for the merge! ^_^

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Billion Backs comes out in June? Awesomesauce.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:19 am UTC

backrub wrote:Oh.. sorry about that SecondTalon. Did a search for Futurama and just found a bunch of references... but no clear cut Futurama specific topic. Thanks for the merge! ^_^

No biggie. Good to know that the new one's coming out relatively soon, though.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Linosh

Postby Linosh » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:34 am UTC

Actually that's probably because a lot of people outside of Europe can't distinguish between Sweden and Switzerland.
I hope you didn't really get this and were beeing sarcastic, and I end up looking like a fool for not realizing that. :oops:

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

Yo I dunno what the hell you guys are talking about. Futurama has never made me cry...it's supposed to be funny. Like haha funny. Scrubs is a funny show that will make me cry but that's about it. Futurama just occasionally makes me piss myself.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

So, what you're saying is.. the following image does nothing for you?
Spoiler:
loyalty.gif

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

GAAAHHHHH BLUBAHH JESUS NOT BEFORE WORK!

*sniffle*

CHEAPSHOT! SPOILER THAT SHIT!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

You're right, you're right. That was too harsh to spring on someone.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

I think I laughed because I knew exactly what you were going to put. And you carried it out like a 4channer.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:09 am UTC

I fell in love with the show when the kids delivered paper to Le Petit Prince on their route, mainly because I respect the writers' knowledge of semi-obscure yet great literature.

(excuse my blatant ignorance for character names, I only just started following it)
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:41 am UTC

apeman5291 wrote:I fell in love with the show when the kids delivered paper to Le Petit Prince on their route, mainly because I respect the writers' knowledge of semi-obscure yet great literature.

(excuse my blatant ignorance for character names, I only just started following it)

I read Harry Stephen Keeler's The Riddle of the Traveling Skull as a result of this show, and Karel Čapek's R.U.R. There's loads of obscure references to well-known and not-so-known stuff in the show. I warmly recommend watching the DVD Commentaries.
- Hesiod, Theogony

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Linosh wrote:

Actually that's probably because a lot of people outside of Europe can't distinguish between Sweden and Switzerland.

Sadly, it's true. We should buy them all maps.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:20 am UTC

backrub wrote:Good news, everyone!

sorry couldn't resist... but I just wanted everybody to know that the next straight to DVD Futurama movie (The Beast with a Billion Backs) is now available for preorder on Amazon. (Preordered mine this morning)

I am sure many of you enjoy the show, as it is intelligent and funny at the same time (similar to some webcomic I read whose name escapes me...). I am also sure many of you remember how evil Fox was for taking it off the air.

Well I am still new here so maybe nobody cares, but I personally would really love for the show to make a return (either on Fox or Comedy Central).. and I think the only way to do that, and I think many fans would agree, is to really show our support by buying (and preordering) these DVDs. If I am not mistaken, that is how Family Guy made it back. (Although that show is not my cup of tea, and so I am not well informed of its history)

So if you want to preorder, or wait until it is available to just buy, here is the link to amazon: amazon link

And for those who have not seen the first straight to DVD movie (Bender's Big Score), take note:

Comedy Central will be showing "Bender's Big Score" on Easter Sunday (March 23rd) at 8:00 PM. The movie is split into 4 parts, going to 10:00 PM including commercials.

I do not like that cover picture. I don't like it at all.

At least they should try to move it away from "tentacle rape" territory more towards "Cthulhu from outside the universe" territory.

YAY! Cthulhu!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

leigao84

Postby leigao84 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Just saw it last night. I loved the tentacle part actually.

Spoiler:
I loved the play on Christianity and flying tentacle/spaghetti monster reference. Oh the fact that the flying angels are just symbiotic birds that eats his skin follicles! lawl!

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

The new one is pretty great - I probably preferred it to the first one. However I don't like how these movies are made to be easily sectioned up; it makes them a lot less cohesive. Its a bit all over the place, but still lovely.

Spoiler:
I loved the tentacle parts towards the end especially. I don't know why/how but it was quite a touching love story...

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

That tentacle thing was probably one of the more disturbing things ever. I thought it was a pretty good movie.
Spoiler:
The part where Bender makes his deal with the Robot Devil was great. And horrifying. And great.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:The new one is pretty great - I probably preferred it to the first one. However I don't like how these movies are made to be easily sectioned up; it makes them a lot less cohesive. Its a bit all over the place, but still lovely.

I would agree with that. I loved both movies but it is a valid critique, imo.
Spoiler:
Also, I didn't really like how little Fry cared about Leela anymore, even though it was adressed tounge-in-cheeck towards the end. But I loved it when the tentacle first invades, I actually found it quite creepy. If they'd cut out the comedy, it wouldn't have made such a bad sci-fi horror flick. Also Wernstrom and Farnsworth teaming up- yaay! There was a whole enormous bunch of stuff I loved about it, but I don't have time to list it all now... BendertryingtokillallhumansCalculon'sreturnKifpunchingZappDeathballthemovingapartmentcomplexesthe2dtunnelofloveandStAsimov'sday

But I picked up on a continuity error/bad science:
Spoiler:
When the Earth is being incased in Diamondillium, we see the Earth rotate while the Diamondillium sphere remains stationary, this remains so after the sphere's completion. However, when viewed from the Earth's surface, the sphere appears to be in geo-stationary orbit.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Boximaxio

Postby Boximaxio » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Just for that scientific faux-pas, I'm boycotting the movie.
All Christians are atheists... I just take it one god further than they do.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

Boximaxio wrote:Just for that scientific faux-pas, I'm boycotting the movie.

Since when has Futurama ever been scientifically accurate?

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Boximaxio wrote:Just for that scientific faux-pas, I'm boycotting the movie.

But the fact that there are two substances in the movie called "Diamondillium" and "Diamondium"- that's fine is it?

EDIT* @ SomeoneElse: Quite often actually. Well... quite often for a cartoon show set in the year 3000. Which is why I brought the faux-pas in question up. They *did* have three Ph.D-holders on the writing staff during the show's run.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Boximaxio

Postby Boximaxio » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

*whips out the rhetoric-o-meter*

Hmmm, I seem to be emitting dry wit at ten times the background level. Remarkable!
All Christians are atheists... I just take it one god further than they do.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

:P
- Hesiod, Theogony

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Agreed on Kif punching Brannigan. That was...that was just raw awesome. Also, I'm glad I"m not the only one who jumped up and down with joy (figuratively) when I saw St. Asimov's day.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:EDIT* @ SomeoneElse: Quite often actually. Well... quite often for a cartoon show set in the year 3000. Which is why I brought the faux-pas in question up. They *did* have three Ph.D-holders on the writing staff during the show's run.

Well, there are a few bits which are scientifically interesting, but at the end of the day, it is a cartoon. Where a few details have been made, and scientific concepts are referenced to, gaping holes are intentionally left.

Not that it justifies the inexcusable continuity error however.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Spoiler:
Agreed on Kif punching Brannigan. That was...that was just raw awesome. Also, I'm glad I"m not the only one who jumped up and down with joy (figuratively) when I saw St. Asimov's day.

I shouted at pointed at the screen frantically. My brother and his girlfriend just told me to sit down and shut up. :(
- Hesiod, Theogony

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am UTC

I really think the new movie is back up to form..

Spoiler:
The thing at the very beginning with the faux 50s Disney snippet? Had me on the floor. I knew from then it would be an awesome film

I need to watch it again, I'm intrigued by your scientific faux pas and saddened I didn't spot it :-(

SmokyMcpothead

Postby SmokyMcpothead » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

I sometimes worry about my state of mind cause I have a massive crush on Leela. I think it's the cycloptic look that does it for me, that and the fact that she could kick my ass :lol:
Wretched hive of scum and villainy? Woo-hoo, count me in!

Light sabers don't kill people. Jedis kill people.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”