Great show
29%
The greatest show
62%
Otter/Duck
9%

Total votes: 619

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: Firefly

Postby Moo » Fri May 15, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

I would just like to thank everyone who completely spoiled
Spoiler:
Wash's death
for me. I thought that reading a Firefly thread, as opposed to a Serenity thread, having watched all of Firefly, I wouldn't have to worry about spoilers. Just saying. I just got round to watching Serenity too now. And I kept thinking "is this the point where <that> happens?". Other than that, very enjoyable.
Last edited by Moo on Fri May 15, 2009 3:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Fri May 15, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

I sympathize, Moo, but unless you're trying to pass the torch, you might want to spoiler that. :)
Last edited by Kaelri on Fri May 15, 2009 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri May 15, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

It's not that it didn't occur to me, I just thought "what's the point, it's all over this page alone already"... I just didn't realise that was going to be a page topper :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri May 15, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I would just like to thank everyone who completely spoiled
Spoiler:
Wash's death
for me. I thought that reading a Firefly thread, as opposed to a Serenity thread, having watched all of Firefly, I wouldn't have to worry about spoilers. Just saying. I just got round to watching Serenity too now. And I kept thinking "is this the point where <that> happens?". Other than that, very enjoyable.

It's a Joss Whedon show. We presumed that the brutal, senseless death of the
Spoiler:
happy sane man in a stable relationship
would seem so obviously immanent that telling you wouldn't count as a spoiler.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

The first time I ever heard of Firefly was in some Empire magazine articles just before the release of Serenity. I didn't get round to seeing it at the cinema (though I intended to), but fortunately several months later a print of it was shown at the film society at uni. I thought it was fantastic, and always intended to watch the series. Back when I was sharing a house at uni that had cable, I caught a few episodes on the Sci-fi Channel (which turned out to be some of the best: "Out of Gas" and "Ariel"), and nearly bought the series on DVD when Amazon were selling it for £8(!) a few months ago. But I missed that opportunity so now I suppose I'll have to pay the extortionate sum of £11.47.

But thanks to recently joining Lovefilm, I've finally been able to watch it from start to finish! At first I was a little disappointed that it was so obviously made for the small screen, compared to Serenity. But I soon got into it!

I was also quite surprised that the Reavers only really feature prominently in the first half of the series.

The Objects in Space and Serenity (movie) commentaries by Whedon alone are great, but EVERY DVD should include a commentary by Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion together. Even the ones they didn't work on.

(Incidentally, in the Serenity (pilot) commentary, Whedon mentions their "handheld" CGI zooms and points out that Star Wars Episode II did them at around the same time. When I first saw Episode II, I thought those zooms were cool, but yeah, in retrospect I agree with Joss that they really don't fit the style of AoTC, or Star Wars in general.)

Favourite episodes:
Out of Gas - As well-constructed a non-linear tale as any I've ever watched, read or heard. In that respect, a small screen Pulp Fiction! (And not just because they both feature adrenaline shots directly into the heart.)
Ariel - "We applied the cortical electrodes but were unable to get a neural reaction from either patient!" :mrgreen:
Our Mrs Reynolds - The funniest episode, though the third act still features a dramatic peril.
The Message
Objects In Space - Deeeeeep, maaaaaan.

Least favourite
Heart of Gold. How did I predict from the title that it would be about prostitutes? :roll: (The series' portrayal of prostitution/"companionship" in general was one of its clumsier elements, for me.) Some funny bits near the start, but the shootout at the end was probably the one action sequence of any episode (except possibly the fencing in Shindig) which most betrays the series' made-for-TV origins (though admittedly that's not a bad hit rate).

Trash - Some fun Mission: Impossible-type stuff, like in Ariel, but although Saffron would have been a good character to bring back in a second season (if there had been one), this episode took place too soon after her previous appearance to really have much impact.

After watching the series, I read through these screen-grab-episode-summaries, which someone linked to in one of the recent individual xkcd comic threads. I really like their deadpan style: it's surprising how funny a simple "OK" caption can be. :mrgreen:

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Wed May 27, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:After watching the series, I read through these screen-grab-episode-summaries, which someone linked to in one of the recent individual xkcd comic threads. I really like their deadpan style: it's surprising how funny a simple "OK" caption can be.
Awesome!
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Wed May 27, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

i've spent the last two weeks watching firefly for the first time in an effort to understand why mr. munroe continues to reference it.
it's quite good.
not so good that i would be writing comics about it several years from now but still.

good things:
character relationships were played out really well. war buddies and out of gas really shined in that respect.
settings design was excellent, camera work and acting were good.
dialogue was pretty solid.
straddled the line between "there is no past" and "everything which has happened before the work is explained explicitly" pretty well
a really fun viewing experience.

bad things:
i'm all for cheesy lines in my space westerns but some were just too much.
characters could've been more developed. to me jayne is the only really interesting character (gun for hire except when he isn't except when he is, dumb except when he isn't, some bizarrely placed loyalties, and jaynestown presented a real pretty inner conflict), the rest are pretty straightforward.
there were some missed opportunities. what stuck out in my mind the most is in safe, as cool as witches and big damn heroes are, forcing simon to decide whether serenity is the best place for he and river to recuperate and to live would've been moreso. it seemed to be going in that direction too, but nope.
a few of the episodes (the train job particularly comes to mind here) were totally generic. could have been an episode of any other space western series.

wait what the hell things:
as mr. munroe noted, chinese interjections and the almost complete lack of han chinese people (iirc there were like three chinese extras in one episode?) make for a weird combination

favorite scene:
very end of out of gas (the flashback part)

now to figure out how to watch serenity. pity i just recently cancelled netflix.

fun fact: you can't do nested spoilers.

Jourdy289

Postby Jourdy289 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote:I was also quite surprised that the Reavers only really feature prominently in the first half of the series.

The Objects in Space and Serenity (movie) commentaries by Whedon alone are great, but EVERY DVD should include a commentary by Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion together. Even the ones they didn't work on.

(Incidentally, in the Serenity (pilot) commentary, Whedon mentions their "handheld" CGI zooms and points out that Star Wars Episode II did them at around the same time. When I first saw Episode II, I thought those zooms were cool, but yeah, in retrospect I agree with Joss that they really don't fit the style of AoTC, or Star Wars in general.)

Favourite episodes:
Out of Gas - As well-constructed a non-linear tale as any I've ever watched, read or heard. In that respect, a small screen Pulp Fiction! (And not just because they both feature adrenaline shots directly into the heart.)
Ariel - "We applied the cortical electrodes but were unable to get a neural reaction from either patient!" :mrgreen:
Our Mrs Reynolds - The funniest episode, though the third act still features a dramatic peril.
The Message
Objects In Space - Deeeeeep, maaaaaan.

Agreed.
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!

Jourdy289

Postby Jourdy289 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Moo wrote:I would just like to thank everyone who completely spoiled
Spoiler:
Wash's death

It's a Joss Whedon show. We presumed that the brutal, senseless death of the
Spoiler:
happy sane man in a stable relationship
would seem so obviously immanent that telling you wouldn't count as a spoiler.

I didn't see it coming until I read the spoiler.
WARNING: If you are good at predicting WHEN things will happen, and want to see Serenity, DON't read the spoiler.

I really didn't expect it. I though "Oh no, it's about to happen now" when it didn't. It came when I least expected it...
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Jourdy289 wrote:I really didn't expect it. I though "Oh no, it's about to happen now" when it didn't. It came when I least expected it...

Watch in amazement, Ladies and Gentlemen, as Joss Whedon does his thing AGAIN
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

Well, I just finished the show. Strangely enough, I thought that the pilot and "Objects in Space" were the two best episodes. Every episode was better than nearly everything else I've seen on television, but those two were among the best entertainment I've ever experienced in any medium. Wash's line "wacky fun" is the thing that, for some reason, most makes me wish the show had continued.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:28 am UTC

so i torrented this and serenity, started watching it today.

needless to say, it's the first tv show that's had me screaming at the computer in a long time. i love it

Spoiler:
it was in episode 3, when river and simon are standing there with the reaver guy, and simon's like LET'S GO INSIDEHURRDURR

NO YOU DO NOT GO INSIDE, YOU WILL DIE LISTEN TO SUMMER GLAU SHE IS CUTE

missbittens

Postby missbittens » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

Yeah, she's not super fancy or anything, but she does have, like, sun dresses and cleavage shirts, and more than a few outfits.

When the hell did Kaylee wear a sun dress? As far as I remember, she was pretty much always dressed in her mechanic coveralls or T-shirt/blouse-y things. And I wouldn't say they were even cleavage-revealing, either.
Jayne wore a ton of short-sleeved shirts, and so did Book (probably to suggest at his past). Simon probably doesn't have any t-shirts.
Jayne and Book are not as pretty as Simon, and wasn't he trying to blend in?

I have to point out that this really ain't fair - you're complaining that the fanservice wasn't equally distributed between genders, but then when they give you Jayne and Book fanservice, it doesn't count because you personally didn't find them as attractive as Simon. And the idea with him was that he was a very stiff, formal person, used to living in an equally stiff, formal society, whom could also afford to wear dress clothes all day, every day. Therefore, I don't think T-shirts would have really suited him.

Oh, while I'm on about unfair complaining regarding gender and fanservice on Firefly - anyone read the TWoP recaps of the show? One of the things that really bugged me was that the recapper would complain whenever there was gratuitous female fanservice [I think she thought it was sexist] but when Jayne had his shirt off, for example, she was most appreciative. Yeah, I used to do that, when I was about thirteen, and then I realised it was a double standard. So you'd think the adult recapper would have worked it out by now.
Click the egg, help it hatch. Or else it dies.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

missbittens wrote:
Yeah, she's not super fancy or anything, but she does have, like, sun dresses and cleavage shirts, and more than a few outfits.

When the hell did Kaylee wear a sun dress? As far as I remember, she was pretty much always dressed in her mechanic coveralls or T-shirt/blouse-y things. And I wouldn't say they were even cleavage-revealing, either.
I assume they're referring to Out of Gas, where we see in a flashback, Kaylee wearing a very pretty dress (or not wearing, as the case may be ;) ).

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:34 am UTC

so i saw serenity.

hell's bells that was a crazy action:other stuff ratio.
off the top of my head there was
Spoiler:
1. river/simon breakout
2. that dude vs some desk staff
3. initial raid/reaver attack
4. simon/mal punchout
5. river beats up everyone
6. mal and inara and that guy
7. river beats up the crew
8. partially book's hideout and entry into reaver space idk
9. ridiculous climax sequence

could someone with the ability to watch it again keep notes of times so that it can be measured? i'm honestly really curious.
trying to decide which are dead weight is a bit hard.
Spoiler:
1 is nice back and has some decent lines, 2 introduces a character, 3 and 4 set up an interesting conflict (which doesn't go anywhere), 5 introduces some interesting characteristics of river and another good conflict (I think the first could have been left to the end but I don't know how else the second could have been produced otherwise), 6 is kinda gratuitous (few good lines though, and develops that guy a bit), 7 strengthens the tension between river and the crew, 8 is weird--i can't really see what book's death did for anything and mal's behaviour immediately afterwards is utterly bizarre*, 9 was fun but over the top
*this still bothers me: friend dies therefore become a dick and focus singlemindedly on some mystery which may well have nothing to do with anything? huh?

character relations could have used more polishing, there were a few things which weren't resolved well or at all. the show did better in this regard.
got most of the other things serenity had right right, likewise with the wrong. the above really the only complaints i'd attribute to it and not to firefly.

favorite part: takeoff at the very end

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:37 am UTC

It's more like,
Spoiler:
Book dies.
Suddenly, the Operative isn't just pursuing them, he's killing people. He's killing Mal's "crew", most importantly. At that moment, Mal goes from "we are trying to avoid capture" to "I am going to beat that motherfucker down".

He's not necessarily a super-nice guy. Just not how he rolls.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:40 am UTC

not to everyone, no, but he's nearly paternalistic to his crew. except then.

the more i think about it the more fascinating mal's portrayal is.

Spoiler:
in the beginning he overrides simon's refusal to have river participate in a raid (not wholly unusual, but a novel development from firefly; small point of oddness though: he acquiesced to the wishes of crewmates to the detriment of the job in war stories), in the reaver attack he lets the guy die rather than risk their safety to try to rescue him, when chastised by zoe he voices suspicion as to how useful having a responsibility to everyone is (not wholly unusual, he has enough scruples to put the guy out of his mercy but not enough to put his life on the line for him, not contradictory to the work they take on in firefly, also an interesting reveal that the mal captaining the firefly might not be so much the mal officering browncoats), then he lets river and simon leave (i want to think this a bit odd, but then he let inara go without resolving things), then he lets them back on putatively putting everyone else at risk also (likewise, but also with precedence: mrs. reynolds), then he puts himself in danger thinking to rescue inara (perfectly characteristic).
basically what're talking about here is the mal we know and love from firefly.

then book dies after telling mal to believe in something. then he refuses to give river to that guy in spite of threats of mass destruction (normal, maybe a bit more callous than i want to expect from him), then forcibly (what) drags everyone through reaver space with the reasoning:
I mean for us to live. The Alliance won't have that, so we go where they don't follow...There's a lot of fine ways to die. I ain't waiting for the Alliance to choose mine. I mean to confound these bungers. Take my shot at getting to Miranda. Maybe find something I can use to get clear of this.
(observe: he begins by suggesting their safety as a motivating factor, but after the ellipsis drops any illusions of their chance of survival, instead offering not letting the alliance win and the hope of a deus ex machina as reasons). Then they get there and find the beacon, and he delivers his little monologue
And they were right to fear...because there's a whole universe of folk who are gonna know it, too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons...but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything I know this, they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, they'll swing back to the belief...that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.
(he acknowledges the potential of death for his crew in order to reveal the crimes of the alliance. his sense of obligation has essentially inverted, he and his crew are expendable for the sake of everyone else). then, poignantly, he bodily abdicates responsibility for the crew, seeing to the message himself while leaving the others for the reavers (what).
we're looking at a very different mal. i'm reminded here of another quote from the movie. at mal and inara's first meeting
Inara: I just want to know who I'm dealing with. I've seen too many versions of you to be sure.
Mal: I start fighting a war, I guarantee you'll see something new.

so we have two questions here: how does mal develop in the second portion of the movie, and what precipitates these changes?
in the first quote he begins with concern for serenity and the crew's continued welfare, essentially the motivating force behind his actions for the whole of firefly and the first part of serenity. he immediately, however, discards this, considering instead some sort of victory over the alliance either by not falling by their sword or pulling a rabbit out of his hat. accepting the impossibility of his first desire, he instead looks to find something in that same path. he then browbeats the others into joining him.
it is for this reason that i would reject simple revenge as you posited, his initial concerns are the same, and it is only by his failure to see to them that he considers that in some form (and incidentally that is, as i recall, the point at which he becomes aggressive).
let's consider how this happens: book dies, after advising him to believe in something, all his other retreats have been destroyed, he had recently been floating around bizarre theories about some great mystery linked to river who is in turn linked to the destruction.
i suggest that the reason he behaves as he does is a combination of his lack of recourses, his frustration at being unable to defend his crew, both book after the fact and the others soon, a sort of impersonal revenge (observe: he doesn't propose going after that guy, doesn't even mention him), and a desire for all the pieces to fall into play augmented by book's exhortations.

in the second quote and in the later portion of the film his sense of justice overrides all, he invokes millions to whom they have an obligation, he explicitly asked his crew to sacrifice themselves, leaves them to their fates in order to get the signal across, etc. war mal.
cause is of course the beacon.

and then, after all's done, we have serenity mal again. get the ship back in the air, keep flying.

later i'll write a little something on simon and river's development, battery's dying.

Moo

Postby Moo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:59 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:It's more like,<huge spoiler>.
This is not a Serenity thread, people who read this do not expect the film to be ruined for them if they haven't seen it, can we please pay some attention to this? Or at least change the title.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

I've PM'd SecondTalon with a request for a thread title change, so.

Well. You heard him.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

On the one hand, it's a 14 page thread of a six year old TV show with only 14 episodes that made a 4 year old movie. On the other hand, there's still gobs of people who might take a 14 page thread of a six year old TV show and a 4 year old movie as a reason to finally watch the damned thing.

So.. I dunno, lol.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

Well, since the TV series is over, it seems silly to have separate threads for Firefly and Serenity. How about we change the thread title, and start using individual spoiler warning anyway?

Well. You heard him.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Firefly & Serenity (Use Spoilers!)

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

Alright, erring on the side of people who've watched the show yet not had a chance to see the film, use spoilers.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jourdy289

Postby Jourdy289 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Alright, erring on the side of people who've watched the show yet not had a chance to see the film, use spoilers.

ok!!

Kothos

Comic 561

Postby Kothos » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:42 am UTC

I always assumed that there were few Chinese characters in Firefly because Chinese was the dominant culture, but the series was set on the periphery of human habitation.

I would assume that if China became the world's (or galaxy's) dominant culture in any sort of violent way (or maybe even not), that other cultures would become disenfranchised (if not downright oppressed) and free people of these other races/cultures would gravitate to new places far from the influence of the Chinese.

Makes sense or no?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

It wasn't a violent thing, and Chinese wasn't the "dominant" culture. From what I remember, it's more like the US and China said "Well, crap, this Earth is going to have to be referred to in past tense", teamed up, and went off to colonize space.

My justification is that they colonized multiple solar systems, in an attempt not to put all the eggs in one basket, and the Firefly system was settled mostly by an American ship--but the culture was already heavily Chinese influenced, hence the swearing and what not.

Well. You heard him.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

I saw Serenity last night. I really liked it, and I'm glad I didn't give into temptation and read all of the spoilers because:

Spoiler:
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar. :(

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

It's just that Joss hates Asians.

(except for that one girl in Dr Horrible iirc)
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

^yeah but they are related, so he has to be nice.
I don't blame him too much. I think Maurissa (from Dr. Horrible) explained it well here.

Not a justification for that though...

I like Sir Elderberry's explanation.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:02 am UTC

So...

Fact: I have Serenity recorded on my DVR right now - it aired on the sci fi channel earlier today
Fact: Firefly is available via hulu.com
Fact: I have never watched either.

Can i get by with watching the movie first, or do i really already need to know the show?

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Well the movie sets up a lot of stuff but you'll still be missing some stuff. I suggest watching the series first. It's good and not very long anyway.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:33 am UTC

well there's that, and the movie is meant to be a continuation of the show

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:So...

Fact: I have Serenity recorded on my DVR right now - it aired on the sci fi channel earlier today
Fact: Firefly is available via hulu.com
Fact: I have never watched either.

Can i get by with watching the movie first, or do i really already need to know the show?

You don't have to watch the series first. But the movie is notably better if you do

Mega D

Postby Mega D » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

I saw the movie before the series and disliked it. It put me off seeing the series for a long time, although finally I did see Firefly and became a huge fan. Watch the series first.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:36 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:^yeah but they are related, so he has to be nice.
I don't blame him too much. I think Maurissa (from Dr. Horrible) explained it well here.

Not a justification for that though...

I like Sir Elderberry's explanation.

Hey, Persians are just that great (by which I mean attractive you PC-types). Also, South Americans, read: Morena Baccarin.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

stevegld

Postby stevegld » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Stupid Fox and there need for instant rating. Everyone knows that the best things come later, or more accurately the most beloved things within society do not produce the best stuff in season 1, even though season 1 was magnificent. TV shows are like any other good story, the beginning establishes the character(s) and the reason for their circumstance(s), as the plot develops characters transform, crap happens, and everyone finds their true meaning. Fox doesn't understand this concept obviously.

Spoiler:
Fox sucks, sorry to burst your bubble. :shock:

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:50 am UTC

Watched the entire show and the movie and all of the special features on the box set and collector's edition movie in the past two days.
I loved it. I loved it all.

Favorite characters:
Mal. He's Mal, you know?
Kaylee
Shepherd Book

Favorite episode:
Objects in space

I'm not going to bother with all my opinions here, other than agreeing with the post from like page 2 or something about how Kaylee was there partially because Mal needed to be able to be an older brother. It's completely true.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

_Big_Mac_

Postby _Big_Mac_ » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

I've just went through Firefly and Serenity (no spoilers).

Does Summer Glau look like a young version of Sigourney Weaver or is it just me? I mean the resemblance is uncanny, tell me who do you see smiling here http://www.summer-glau.net/gallery/disp ... pos=%20322

Good show. I liked the characters more than the plot, especially in Firefly since there aren't that many radical twists you can pack into a rolling TV show without screwing up the continuum or cutting your options for future series. You can pull more stuff in a movie, which had been done in Serenity. Not a bad big screen debut for this TV show director.

I also enjoyed the setting, the wild-west meets sci-fi thing. It was odd at first but novel and fun. Just don't try to overanalyze how come people use six round colts when they can fire lasers from near orbit instead.

Summer Glau's character is so refreshingly screwed up in the head and she plays it so well. And it's not the comical loony type of crazy either, worth to see.

The other characters are well written and enjoyable, there's no "dear God, please kill this guy" character designed to annoy the viewer.

My one peeve I hold against the series is when the "drama" and "complex backstories" kick in around halfway through the season. This, among with upholding status quo, is something a TV show just has to do I guess. I mean this is one thing that I personally HATE in running shows - you KNOW they ain't gonna kill off anybody unless the actor has to leave the job and you KNOW they aren't gonna come up with something really major and plot-changing in any given episode because they basically have the formula written out in advance. So they'll give you "oh my, did he really...?" snippets of backstory, a loose end here and there or complicated chemistry between characters (that doesn't lead anywhere) to signalize there's something deeper but don't count on a radical event that will shape all future episodes. I think a full-length movie actually gives more room to character development then a long running show despite less total screen hours.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 am UTC

_Big_Mac_ wrote:My one peeve I hold against the series is when the "drama" and "complex backstories" kick in around halfway through the season. This, among with upholding status quo, is something a TV show just has to do I guess. I mean this is one thing that I personally HATE in running shows - you KNOW they ain't gonna kill off anybody unless the actor has to leave the job and you KNOW they aren't gonna come up with something really major and plot-changing in any given episode because they basically have the formula written out in advance. So they'll give you "oh my, did he really...?" snippets of backstory, a loose end here and there or complicated chemistry between characters (that doesn't lead anywhere) to signalize there's something deeper but don't count on a radical event that will shape all future episodes. I think a full-length movie actually gives more room to character development then a long running show despite less total screen hours.

This is not very useful unless you know Joss Whedon's work well, but his main characters aren't really bullet proof. I mean okay, he wasn't about to kill off any of the main cast in the first season of his freshly spawned TV show, but he does enjoy killing people off now and then.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

stolid

Postby stolid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:25 am UTC

I never watched Firefly until 2 days ago. It was so good I watched nearly the entire series back to back, and then I watched the movie. I can't believe they canceled that show (even excluding the awesome movie's contributions to the awesomeness). I really loved the characters, like all of them. Also, why the hell does everything (all good might I say) Summer Glau is in get canceled?
Registered Linux User #555399

Nhoj Serob

Postby Nhoj Serob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

FYI: Fox has shut down the official firefly forum:
http://www.fireflyfans.net/news.asp?newsid=420

Anyone up for mass e-mailing fox until they bring it back up?
The letters would have to be clean and stay civil, we don't want to cause further trouble, just let them no they can't do this*.

(P.S. we could all opt to end each letter with "Also, I can kill you with my brain")

*well, legally they can, but we ain't gonna let em, are we?
*tends to break things*

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”