Les Miserables

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

torontoraptor

Les Miserables

Postby torontoraptor » Thu May 31, 2012 12:04 am UTC

A classic (if bit dry book), an award-winning musical that ran for something like 50 years, and now a movie with Hugh Jackman as Valjean, Russel Crowe as Javert, and Anne Hathaway as Fantine. I am so freaking excited right now.

official trailer here.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Re: Les Miserables

Postby Jesse » Thu May 31, 2012 8:23 am UTC

I have watched the trailer so many times.

dcb2011

Postby dcb2011 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

The 1998 version of `Les Misérables`, starring Liam Neeson and Uma Thurman was very good. I wonder why they are re-making another version.

And the musical, the 10th anniversary (I think) is also available on DVD. That is the one in which all the singers who played the part of Jean Valjean get together on-stage to sing in the closing number.

If you like that genre of story, you might also be interested in `The Count of Monte Cristo`, starring Jim Caviezel.
I was told it was better than `Les Misérables`, but after watching both of them, my favorite is still `Les Misérables`.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:36 pm UTC

I'm super-excited about this one as well. And whether or not the 1998 version was "very good" is very much a matter of opinion. Either way though, there have been something like a dozen different film adaptations of the book. Why not another one?

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

also the 1998 one was an adaptation of the novel whereas this one is an adaptation of the musical adaptation of the novel. so they can be exciting for different reasons, i liked the movie alright (i think, it's been a long time since i watched it) but that's entirely different than wanting a musical.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

NeilFann

Postby NeilFann » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm UTC

My fear for this one is if they cast non-singers in an, er, musical. They did this for Phantom of the Opera with Gerard Butler in the title roll. Yes, he's famous and stuff but he can't SING.

Not hopefull looking at the cast with Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe etc.....

jaap

Postby jaap » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

NeilFann wrote:Not hopefull looking at the cast with Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe etc.....

Hugh Jackman has a lot of stage musical experience, and has even won an Olivier award for it. Russell Crowe has been singing in his rock band for years, but I guess it remains to be seen how well his singing will work in a musical.

Alder

Postby Alder » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

NeilFann wrote:...not hopefull looking at the cast with Hugh Jackman...

This Hugh Jackman...?
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:40 pm UTC

natraj wrote:also the 1998 one was an adaptation of the novel whereas this one is an adaptation of the musical adaptation of the novel. so they can be exciting for different reasons, i liked the movie alright (i think, it's been a long time since i watched it) but that's entirely different than wanting a musical.

To be clear, I'm not saying the 1998 movie was terrible. I just don't think it was so amazing as to render future versions (even ignoring the book vs. musical issue) pointless.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

oh, i was responding to dcb2011's
dcb2011 wrote:The 1998 version of `Les Misérables`, starring Liam Neeson and Uma Thurman was very good. I wonder why they are re-making another version.
sorry for notquoting!
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 pm UTC

NeilFann wrote:
Not hopefull looking at the cast with Hugh Jackman,

The first I heard of this movie was when Hugh Jackman was doing a 1 man musical show. That man can SING.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

NeilFann

Postby NeilFann » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 am UTC

Not heard him but if Hugh Jackman can sing as well as say Colm Wilkinson then yes that is encouraging. I've heard Crowe's rock band before and there's nothing there to suggest he can do something like "Stars" justice.

I guess I'm just inclined to prejudice after Gerard bleeding Butler in the Phantom. Nobody will be happier than me if I'm wrong though!

Blackdomino

Postby Blackdomino » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Jackman I saw Hugh Jackman way back in the 90's as Gaston in "Beauty and the Beast" here in Australia. He was bloody good. His bread and butter was stage musicals for years, he still does various Broadway things between film projects. Can't vouch for Russell Crowe though, only seen his band on TV. Still I am hanging out for Les Mis, should be great!
"It's not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. ' Isms' in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in any 'ism' they should believe in themselves." - Ferris Bueller

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”