Dexter

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Dexter

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 am UTC

You promised that BEFORE Christmas....

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

I just picked up the first season at Target yesterday. I'll finally have time to sit down and start watching it tonight, hopefully.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

I dig it. Heavy handed dialog but pretty entertaining overall. I'm on the fourth episode.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Resurrected because now I've actually seen some of it.
I've gotten through most of season one, and besides one incredibly obvious reveal, it's pretty darn awesome.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:57 am UTC

I just started watching it and finished season two yesterday. Can't wait for season 3, I love this show.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:13 am UTC

I haven't seen ANY :( . I really want to though.

I did get a free Dexter shirt because my bro works at JB HiFi atm.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

I was kind of sad about how Season 2 played out because

Spoiler:
I really kind of hoped/wished (even though it would have been a little too implausibly perfect) that Doakes and Dexter would end up becoming buddies. I mean, there was all that build-up of Doakes tending to take the law into his own hands when someone evil was not brought to justice. The Haitian guy, the organized crime guy, his surveillance/harassment of Dexter...

I thought for sure they would team up and be an unstoppable crime-fighting duo... or at least that Doakes would eventually be like "ok... what you're doing's cool. I'm going to pretend I didn't see anything, and possibly help you frame some other evil serial killer for the Bay Harbor Butcher killings."
Fish cannot carry guns.

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:43 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:I was kind of sad about how Season 2 played out because

Spoiler:
I really kind of hoped/wished (even though it would have been a little too implausibly perfect) that Doakes and Dexter would end up becoming buddies. I mean, there was all that build-up of Doakes tending to take the law into his own hands when someone evil was not brought to justice. The Haitian guy, the organized crime guy, his surveillance/harassment of Dexter...

I thought for sure they would team up and be an unstoppable crime-fighting duo... or at least that Doakes would eventually be like "ok... what you're doing's cool. I'm going to pretend I didn't see anything, and possibly help you frame some other evil serial killer for the Bay Harbor Butcher killings."

I agree, mostly.

Spoiler:
The fact that Doakes had to take the fall for Dexter, when Doakes was more or less innocent was rather disappointing. One thing is for sure, I'm extremely glad Lila is dead. I liked her character at first, but she really made me cringe towards the end of the season.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

swik

Postby swik » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 am UTC

I've only seen the first season, but I really liked it. However some of the acting is not always that great and the dialogue is often bad. That said the overall premise of the show is fantastic and the main character is very interesting so the bad dialogue and sometimes bad acting are easily overcome.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:04 am UTC

*finishes reading Dexter in the Dark*

Did anyone else find book 3 a bit of a shark-jump? Here's hoping the telly series stays well away from that...
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:*finishes reading Dexter in the Dark*

Did anyone else find book 3 a bit of a shark-jump? Here's hoping the telly series stays well away from that...

I heard somewhere, and don't ask me where because I can't remember now, that the 3rd season doesn't follow the 3rd book very much.
- Sunkist -

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

Do share.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Jack.H wrote:

Do share.

Spoiler:
Apparently, Dexter's "Dark Passenger", rather than being simply an aspect of Dexter's personality, is in fact an offspring of the ancient god Moloch, who is now, through his worshippers, trying to kill said offspring due to it being competition. Or something stupid like that. After two books that seemed to be based in the real world, adding a supernatural element counts as a shark-jump imo.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

Well I thought that books were pretty lame in the first place.
Spoiler:
I mean honestly, it just turns out that his brother is randomly the Ice Truck Killer, and that when they met they just somehow "knew" that they were brothers? Rudy actually taking the time to track down Dex makes a LOT more sense
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Jack.H wrote:I agree, mostly.

Spoiler:
The fact that Doakes had to take the fall for Dexter, when Doakes was more or less innocent was rather disappointing. One thing is for sure, I'm extremely glad Lila is dead. I liked her character at first, but she really made me cringe towards the end of the season.

I really enjoyed Lila's character...

Spoiler:
She was really fun to hate because when she was first introduced, it wasn't clear whether to dislike her or not. It was a back and forth-- "Oh no, that stupid bitch is going to ruin Dexter and gf's relationship; and I so see through the skank's 'ooh I'm so edgy, hip and dangerous!' act." Then, "ok, maybe it would be good for Dexter to be with someone he can truly confide in; maybe she just seems obnoxious because characters that are written to be 'hip' or 'quirky' often come off as a little contrived at first." Then it was "Oh! Oh! I had it right from the beginning! She's a psycho bitch!"

Somehow they always manage to keep you guessing, but without overdoing it to the point where you're guessing what's going to happen based on your theories about what the show's(/book's) creators believe will trick the audience...

Wait, sorry, that sentence is sort of incomprehensible. What I mean is, usually when a movie/show tries to be suspenseful, you usually can just do a sort of game-theory-esque analysis of how they're going to try to surprise you, and that kind of detracts from the integrity of a story when it's so obviously more about the audience and the gimmicks than about the narrative. Dexter just... continues to not suck in that way.

[edited to fix quotes formatting]
Fish cannot carry guns.

titanicdaze

Postby titanicdaze » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Spoiler:
I hate that they gave him "Repressed Memories." The only peer-reviewed reproducible studies ever done on "Repressed Memories" shows that they aren't real memories, but reconstructions of real memories. For more please Google Elizabeth Loftus, Joseph LeDoux, or Daniel Schachter, or go to http://www.fmsf.org, which is the Official Site of the False Memory Syndrome Foundation. (not .com. that's a pro-Repressed Memory site designed to reduce fmsf.org's traffic.

It sucks that they had to dredge up the lie that got so many people witchhunted in the 1980s and 1990s (remember what they do to "people like that" in prison) to make up for the fact that serial killers aren't that cool or interesting IRL.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Next season will be starting soon. *cough*youtube*cough*

Any predictions?
Spoiler:
I think this may be the last season...assuming all the similarities to Death Note qualify for anything, and Death Note lasted for 37 episodes, and the last 12 or so episodes were the ones where the main guy chasing after our killer (L/Lundy) is now gone...

This bit of parallelism blatantly stolen from Jack 'Fearbears?!' Saladin!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

It looks like this season will be deviating from my Death Note Theory. But Seasons 1 and 2 lined up so awesomely well it was amazing. So many parallels.

I really hope Dexter gets caught at the end of the show. I'd be disappointed as hell if it just ended with him doing what he does forever.

It's a kind of sadistic desire to see everybody's reactions.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Yeah, I just got a chance to sit down and watch the first season 3 episode on YouTube...I think this is the beginning of the end.
Spoiler:
I do have to agree with you, I want to see what everyone's reaction would be to knowing Dexter was the Bay Harbor Butcher (and that Doakes was innocent).

Spoilahz.

Feer

Postby Feer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

I recommend this show for anyone who likes well-written stories and murder mysteries and such. It's amazingly well-done, one of the few tv-series I follow and I'm just about to watch the fourth episode in the new season. Good times to everyone!
AngrySquirrel <3

slimredninja

Postby slimredninja » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:54 am UTC

Dexter is the greatest show ever created topping even my beloved Sopranos & Babylon 5 if you have not seen it join the cult of Dexter now!

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:15 am UTC

Spoilers up to the end of episode 5 of season 3, "Turning Biminese"
Spoiler:
So, Dexter now has an ally. Not a trainer (Harry), not a groupie (Lila), but a full on ally. I'm surprised that Prado is so gung-ho about this, since he didn't seem to be too big a fan of Doakes as the Bay Harbor Butcher (from the single line we heard him say about it, he seemed unhappy about the Butcher being a cop) I wonder how long before Prado figures out that Dexter was the Butcher and how Prado will be taken care of at the end of the season (since Jimmy Smits seems to be a single season guest star)?
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Sana

Postby Sana » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:15 am UTC

I did not see what everyone was raving about when I watched the first episode as it was nothing special. The show ended up hooking me though. Good thing I didn't quit on it after the first episode.

MiB24601 wrote:Spoilers up to the end of episode 5 of season 3, "Turning Biminese"
Spoiler:
So, Dexter now has an ally. Not a trainer (Harry), not a groupie (Lila), but a full on ally. I'm surprised that Prado is so gung-ho about this, since he didn't seem to be too big a fan of Doakes as the Bay Harbor Butcher (from the single line we heard him say about it, he seemed unhappy about the Butcher being a cop) I wonder how long before Prado figures out that Dexter was the Butcher and how Prado will be taken care of at the end of the season (since Jimmy Smits seems to be a single season guest star)?

Spoiler:
Well he seems to understand Dexter: "I gave you the chance to avenge two women whom the system failed and just like I hoped, you seized that opportunity." I think Miguel Prado will eventually figure out that Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher, and I think he will understand. He certainly understood when Dexter told him he had killed "Freebo".

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Well, my prediction of this being the end of Dexter is clearly wrong.[1]

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:15 am UTC

There are way too many serial killers in the Dexter universe, and they all have something to do with Dexter Morgan. It's less interesting to have a serial killer main character if every other character and their dog also is one.

Spoiler:
Well he seems to understand Dexter: "I gave you the chance to avenge two women whom the system failed and just like I hoped, you seized that opportunity."

That's not understanding Dexter, that's completely and utterly misunderstanding him in the worst way possible. Justice is not Dexter's motive.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:That's not understanding Dexter, that's completely and utterly misunderstanding him in the worst way possible. Justice is not Dexter's motive.

It isn't? I've only seen season 1, so might be off base here, but I was under the impression he was satisfying his need to kill by taking out those who had slipped through the justice system, sort of a vigilante who just really enjoyed what he was doing. Is that incorrect?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Kag

Postby Kag » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

That he kills bad people is Dexter's way of justifying his need to kill, not his motive.

Unrelated, it seems that Miguel is the equivalent of Kira.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

MWPPrule215

Postby MWPPrule215 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Oh me yarm this season just got waayyy more intense. Spoiler up until Season 3 Episode... whatever number was on last sunday.
Spoiler:
I knew it would be a bad idea for Dex to teach Miguel how to kill..... Everyone who finds out Dexters secret ends up dead, and now he's going to have to kill someone he actually liked.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'm under the impression Dexter won't have to kill Miguel. Miguel is going to do something to bring about his own downfall. He's either going to get himself killed somehow, or get himself caught as a serial killer. I'd imagine he won't give Dexter up because Miguel agrees with what Dexter is doing, and suspects Dexter has been doing this a lot longer than he's willing to tell. That means he knows very well what he's doing, the only support that there would be in favor of Dexter being a serial killer would be Miguel's word (which would probably be worth very little were he to be caught red handed), and the slides. Miguel does not know about those, so all we have left is the word of an ADA turned serial killer. Well, that, and the show is called Dexter, not Miguel.

EDIT: Woah, run-on sentence of doom.

Sana

Postby Sana » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:
Spoiler:
Well he seems to understand Dexter: "I gave you the chance to avenge two women whom the system failed and just like I hoped, you seized that opportunity."

That's not understanding Dexter, that's completely and utterly misunderstanding him in the worst way possible. Justice is not Dexter's motive.

I meant that he understands why Dexter targets specific people, not that he has Dexter completely figured out. No, he doesn't know that Dexter only selects specific people because he was taught to, but he understands that some people deserve to die and is not repulsed by the fact that Dexter is killing those people.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Kag wrote:Unrelated, it seems that Miguel is the equivalent of Kira.

Considering that as episode 9 the show has become Death Note*, that was a very foresightful comment.

Spoiler:
Well, minus the Supernatural part but as it's two devious, underhanded geniuses trying to outsmart the other, it's very similar
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

nona

Postby nona » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

So... I've refrained from starting season 3 because I'm kind of afraid the show is going to go downhill and be ruined. Is it worth watching so far?

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:32 am UTC

nona wrote:Is it worth watching so far?

YES!!!! Totally worth watching!!!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:02 am UTC

WATCH. IT. NOW.

dizturbd

Postby dizturbd » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Was I the only one who paused the show to see what Halo gametype he was playing in the latest episode?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:43 am UTC

Can someone help me figure out where I'm up to? The last episode I watched was the one where
Spoiler:
They killed that white supremacist dude after busting him out of the court.

I know I could check the Wikipedia episode list or something, but I'm terrified of accidentally scrolling too far and reading a massive spoil0x.

Edit: Going by dates I'm pretty sure that was 306. I'll go for 307 and see.

dizturbd

Postby dizturbd » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:48 am UTC

That was episode 6

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:58 am UTC

Season 3's Episode 11 just aired.

Not that I'm going to give details but just so no one feels like I ruined things for them:
Spoiler:
Wow, that was different than I thought it was going to be. I can't wait until next week.

Now I just have to figure out what is it about this show that my roommate hates and I'll be all set.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

I'm still surprised that nobody, especially Miguel, in season 3 has brought up
Spoiler:
That Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher. I was kind of expecting Dexter to tell Miguel that his brother was the Ice Truck Killer, and that he was the Bay Harbor Butcher, just to show Miguel how wrong he was about being the closest person to knowing him.

effective_

Postby effective_ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

This show is so great. It really puts me on an emotional rollercoaster. It's like I feel exactly what Dexter feels. Amazing show
I'm on the brink of insanity, between extreme intelligence and split personalities
But I elevate to the point of reversing gravity
Revolutionary conceptuality spitting out of me
Even the dead people in my family tell me they proud of me

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”