Dexter

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: Dexter

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

Holy crap just finished season four. HOW COULD THEY!? GRAAAHHHH!!!

Spoiler:
Rita was Dexter's drive for redemption, conquering the "dark passenger," I know that if Dexter ceases to be a homocidal maniac the show would have to end, but American TV needs to realize that have a full complete story that ends at some point is actually a good thing! I care about Dexter, I want Dexter to stop needing to kill, and get is normal life. I almost wonder if Michael C. Hall insisted they make him worse instead of better so the show could continue...maybe Jen was jealous of Rita so they wrote her out....
maybe John Lithgow was only willing to do the season if his character has a profound impact on the story.

It will be fucking crazy to explain
Spoiler:
how the Trinity killer ended up killing Rita...I suppose the Morgan name is already connected to the case....maybe they'll decide that Trinity thought Rita must be Deb, who was in charge of the case. But yeah they should have realized already that Trinity was fucking in the precinct. Angel SAW him for godsake! How could they play it up like he doesn't remember that? Also there are probably surveillance cameras....which could I suppose actually play more TO Dexter's alibi than against it. What will happen to poor Astor and Cody? :-( I thought the season was really interesting BECAUSE of all the family stuff. That's most of what made it really good.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Spoiler:
I want Dexter to stop needing to kill, and get is normal life.

Spoiler:
I always felt a more appropriate ending would be once he gets to that point, he realizes just how much of a monster he was, and for his final kill, takes himself.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, he is a murderer, but at least he is better than the people he kills.

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:57 am UTC

I doubt he would kill himself though. In season two he kill said it would be pathetic and that would be out of character. It would make a lame ending also and a clique one at that.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:43 am UTC

HiddenCounter wrote:I doubt he would kill himself though. In season two he kill said it would be pathetic and that would be out of character. It would make a lame ending also and a clique one at that.

While I'm sure he did say that about suicide, how would it be cliche? I can't think of any TV shows I've ever seen where the main character killed himself at the end...

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

Season 5 has started, any opinions on it yet?

roband

Postby roband » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Season 5 started slow, but it is right up and running and back on track.

I haven't seen the episode from last night yet, and I can't wait to, the cliffhanger from the previous episode is a good one.

SheriffPony

Postby SheriffPony » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

From the last episode:
Spoiler:
dexter_300.png
dexter_300.png (58.19 KiB) Viewed 12389 times
Last edited by SheriffPony on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:22 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

I really liked the first episode. It seemed like they would break the formula a bit and it left room for good confrontation, maybe a path to providing closure for the whole series. Four episodes later, and it's like Rita never existed. I don't like it where this is going.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:30 am UTC

Season five is going okay, but I still can't forgive them for what they did in the first episode.
Spoiler:
Dexter flipped out and left his family behind; instead of going to Rita's funeral, he took his boat out, resolving never to return. This offered the tantalizing possibility of an entire season of "Dexter on the run," a wonderful 13-episode road trip/fugitive movie, cutting between Dexter's cross-country murder spree and the gang back home trying (with the FBI) to find him. Instead, Dexter let off some steam and went home. Dammit, show! We were so close to so much awesome!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 am UTC

SheriffPony wrote:From the last episode:
Spoiler:
The attachment dexter_300.png is no longer available

I was hoping you have posted this gif
Spoiler:
Dexter.gif
Two words: Autoerotic Mummification

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:27 am UTC

There is totally something up with the babysitter. She is getting too much camera time to be just a nanny

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 am UTC

This season of Dexter, now featuring Robocop and Zero Cool/Crash Override...

gayagone

Postby gayagone » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

The religious babysitter bothers you? And what of incongruously convenient Lumen?
Although i must admit Lumen had my hopes up for a bit - such a nice dorky name, such potential.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:There is totally something up with the babysitter. She is getting too much camera time to be just a nanny

At this point, they probably would have shown something about her if there was a twist coming, some foreboding if you will. They haven't. I think it's just a convenient character to allow Dexter to do his work in the night.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Just saw the first maybe 5 episodes of season five. I am a bit upset they
Spoiler:
seem to have found a convenient way to get rid of Astir and Cody. I really wanted to new baby sitter to be a killer. I just finished the one where Lumen
sets up the plot for the season, and I'm all wondering to myself "is she crazy and somehow actually evil and going to lead him to kill innocent people whom she thinks did something to her who didn't....maybe she was the reason the road kill guy killed girls, maybe they were really hers or something...somehow... I know none of that makes sense because she was from MI and had a hotel room recently and stuff, but with this show...doesn't she have to turn out to be evil in the end?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

Season finale last night. Can't wait to see it.

I'm wondering if
Spoiler:
Lumen is going to get caught by the police or something

and Dexter has to decide if
Spoiler:
he's going to confess to save her or (more likely I think) she will keep quiet to save him.

EXCITEMENT.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:34 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well that seems to have been a bit anticlimactic, hopefully Quinn is smart enough to know that Dexter probably killed Liddy. If not it seems like next season will be a bit disconnected from this season.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

Wow. Season 5 Finale
Spoiler:
was a GREAT episode.
Deb has always been my favourite character and that she remains.

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:59 am UTC

That was one of the worst seasons from a previous good show I have ever seen. I waited for the majority of the season, hoping that the boring filler would pay off... and it didn't. Where this finale wasn't predictable, it was heavy-handed, and where it wasn't those, it was boring. Anticlimactic in every sense of the word. A textbook example of how not to structure an episode.

The single redeeming feature was, bizarrely, the previously hateful Batista/LaGuerta subplot; here, we learn that, having discovered that his wife is a colossal bitch, Batista has determined to train her like a dog with positive reinforcement (shiny jewelry) when she's nice and negative reinforcement (withholding sex) when she's not. This is unequivocally hilarious.

But the rest of the episode was horrible, not so much because it was poorly written (although much of it was) but because it failed to make the previous 12 episodes worthwhile. Every single previous source of tension ended anti-climatically, every challenge was met with ease and minimum effort, and absolutely nothing interesting resulted*. We didn't even learn anything new about Dexter. At most, this ill-advised season merely negated the potential effects of the twist ending from last season (which was also ill-advised). A massive disappointment on every front and I will never again give this show enough of the benefit of the doubt to watch it one week at a time.

*The only meaningful part of this season was Debra, whose plotline wasn't as interesting as previous years (and was fairly predictable at every stage) but at least bucked the trend by leaving her with an intact relationship and some unknowing sympathy for Dexter's habits. Still that's only interesting as set-up for a payoff later, which would be fine if the show hadn't just demonstrated that it can at times be incapable of paying off its setups in a satisfying way.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 am UTC

The thing that irritates me is that I'm sure I remember Deb learning about Dexter's brother. What happened to that little subplot? And I just rewatched the last few minutes of the last episode.

Spoiler:
You can't tell me Quinn was actually sincere when he thanked Dexter. I mean he seemed sincere but fucking hell Dexter practically told him that the murder was him. I swear the people that made the trailer made the episode look so good. Get them to do the writing please.

And I wonder what Deb meant when she said he must be so relieved, to her surely all he did on the case was some bloodwork. Meh I'm sure I'm overreacting by even caring.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Robstickle wrote:And I wonder what Deb meant when she said he must be so relieved, to her surely all he did on the case was some bloodwork. Meh I'm sure I'm overreacting by even caring.[/spoiler]

Over at the PA forum, the only context we can think of that Deb's comments at the end make sense are her thinking he might have been one of the vigilantes.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Not sure if this is the place for it, but this infographic is awesome - http://i.imgur.com/FonbT.jpg

don't click if you haven't seen all the series, as it shows the names of people Dexter has killed in EVERY series.

coreytl

Postby coreytl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:04 am UTC

I wonder how the next season will work out :D Considering that carpenter and hall broke up, I don't know how they get along but I would guess it may be kinda awkward once you broke up or annoying to some degree.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

I hope that a new season of Dexter is made.
Obviously it has to have Dexter in it, but a show without Deb would be hard to get into.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:40 am UTC

delete
Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Fri May 27, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Edward James Olmos (Admiral Adama on Battlestar Galactica) cast on Dexter...

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/05/edward ... on-dexter/

roband

Postby roband » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Holy freakin' fuck, snakes!

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

IvanCg wrote:I finished first 4 seasons.
Is season 5 good ?

It's not one of the best. I'd say on a par with series 3, so if you liked that by all means continue watching.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Finally bothered to watch some season 5. Couldn't stomach more than 6 episodes. This show is so painfully bad; I don't know how it got renewed for 2 more seasons.

Oh, that's right, just like how that piece of claptrap TV called True Blood keeps getting renewed. Because people still watch reality TV and Survivor, so they've grown immunity to bad TV.

P.S. CSI/criminal justice shows not only have an ethical obligation to be as sparse as possible for the good of all involved, but I think there should be a moratorium against said shows ever being based on Miami, FL or LA. Especially Miami.

Particularly when they feel compelled in adding "Hispanic" actors who can't speak Spanish worth shit. On behalf of my Hispanic family and all other first generation Hispanics, I am appalled at the sheer laziness of hiring aesthetically stereotyped Hispanics that later speak Spanish in such an atrocious way that even a redneck from Tallahassee spouting "ameegoh" could do better in.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:51 am UTC

Season 5 is pretty terrible. Easily the worst season. Season 6 is turning out pretty well so far.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:48 am UTC

Holy hell that was a good season finale.
Spoiler:
It's about time he gets caught. Dexter has been ridiculously sloppy this season.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

I think I can officially consider this the most evil season finale I have ever seen.
Damn writer... Now I have to wait another 8 months before I know how Dexter is gonna hope to explain this.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:Holy hell that was a good season finale.
Spoiler:
It's about time he gets caught. Dexter has been ridiculously sloppy this season.

Spoiler:
I disagree, the twist was a long time coming and the show absolutely needed it to happen to try and make it good again.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:14 am UTC

Shifter wrote:
Spoiler:
I disagree, the twist was a long time coming and the show absolutely needed it to happen to try and make it good again.

Exactly. I said it's about time because it was needed, and that's part of why it was good.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

lemmings

Postby lemmings » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:49 am UTC

I can't be the only one who has looked at roband's avatar and thought Masuka... he's even got the whole pervert thing going on!

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:59 am UTC

I think we pretty much know what is/is not going to happen
Spoiler:
  • Dexter won't kill Deb - Moral event horizon if he does
  • Deb won't turn in Dexter - Show is over is she does

So the entire next season is going to be about the interplay between those two facts. In short, it's soap opera time!

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
As long as they don't do something stupid like having deb die in an unrelated way or giving her some convenient form of amnesia I'll be happy.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:25 am UTC

Well, it happened in one of the books, too (equivalent of first season, IIRC). That said, the books were stupid.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

lemmings wrote:I can't be the only one who has looked at roband's avatar and thought Masuka... he's even got the whole pervert thing going on!

It's from an illustration of the entire cast of the show - it IS Masuka!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”