Dexter

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: Dexter

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I'm still surprised that nobody, especially Miguel, in season 3 has brought up
Spoiler:
That Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher. I was kind of expecting Dexter to tell Miguel that his brother was the Ice Truck Killer, and that he was the Bay Harbor Butcher, just to show Miguel how wrong he was about being the closest person to knowing him.

Spoiler:
What I can't believe (as in, I'm disappointed with (at?) the writers for this), is that Miguel never figured out that Dexter was the BHB. Seriously, whole shitload of bodies of criminals or suspects found in the ocean, supposedly done by a guy Dexter fucking worked with, and Miguel never thinks there might be a connection? Like, you would have thought he would have at least asked him about Doakes, and if they "worked" together or if he was in on it or whatever. It's like that entire event never happened, which is a flaw a lot of television shows have. They can't handle incorporating past events with what they want to do now.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Jack Saladin wrote:What I can't believe (as in, I'm disappointed with (at?) the writers for this), is that Miguel never figured out that Dexter was the BHB. Seriously, whole shitload of bodies of criminals or suspects found in the ocean, supposedly done by a guy Dexter fucking worked with, and Miguel never thinks there might be a connection? Like, you would have thought he would have at least asked him about Doakes, and if they "worked" together or if he was in on it or whatever. It's like that entire event never happened, which is a flaw a lot of television shows have. They can't handle incorporating past events with what they want to do now.

Miguel mentioned the Bar Harbor Butcher to Maria. He seems to firmly believe that Doakes was the BHB and even when he realizes that Dexter was killing murderers, the familiarity that Miguel showed with the facts of the BHB case would probably have led to Miguel knowing that Doakes and Dexter never got along. A line certainly would be warranted since Miguel might have thought the tension between Doakes and Dexter was due to Doakes realizing that Dexter was also a murderer.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 am UTC

You've got a good point there MiB.

I've also just realized there is only one episode left this season. And that one free month of Showtime does not last until next year when season 4 starts :( (Why must they be so cruel!)

tpd

Postby tpd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:43 am UTC

Spoiler:
No one at all seemed to know that Doakes was following Dexter and really didn't like him. Doakes gave rubbish to everyone in the office, so I don't think it would have been anything Miguel would have been aware of. Really, it would be just as likely for Miguel to pin being the Ice Truck Killer on Dexter as it would the Bay Harbour Butcher.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well, the BHB killed people who had all been at least suspected of crimes like murder etc. This is what Dexter does. The ice-truck killer went after prostitutes mostly iirc. So there's a difference.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
MiB24601 wrote:Miguel mentioned the Bar Harbor Butcher to Maria. He seems to firmly believe that Doakes was the BHB and even when he realizes that Dexter was killing murderers, the familiarity that Miguel showed with the facts of the BHB case would probably have led to Miguel knowing that Doakes and Dexter never got along. A line certainly would be warranted since Miguel might have thought the tension between Doakes and Dexter was due to Doakes realizing that Dexter was also a murderer./quote]

tpd wrote:No one at all seemed to know that Doakes was following Dexter and really didn't like him. Doakes gave rubbish to everyone in the office, so I don't think it would have been anything Miguel would have been aware of. Really, it would be just as likely for Miguel to pin being the Ice Truck Killer on Dexter as it would the Bay Harbour Butcher.

Doakes attacked Dexter in the middle of the police station. This was seen by EVERYBODY. This led to Doakes being suspended and Maria learning that Doakes had been following Dexter. The team trying to catch the Bay Harbor Butcher also suspected Doakes at this time, based upon his psych profile (former military, history of violence, connection to the victims in his cases). After the team had conclusive proof that Doakes was the Butcher, when they found the blood slides with blood from all the Butcher victims, Dexter was specifically called in, not only because of his forensics skill but because the team knew about the fight between Doakes and Dexter. The worry that Doakes would come after Dexter was sufficient that an around-the-clock bodyguard detail was put on Dexter.

All this would have been filed in the Bay Harbor Butcher police report. Anyone who would've seen the report, i.e. Miguel, would have known that Doakes hated Dexter.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Sprocket
Seymour

Dexter

Postby Sprocket » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Watching season two just had to say
Season 2 episode 8 Spoiler
Spoiler:
SO Happy Dexter can't kill Doakes!

Season 2 not as good as season one, especially since it compromises the purity of the information from the book laid down in season one, the characters are doing and being accused of doing things that they wouldn't have actually done. :-P
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Season 2 was my favorite. Season 3 was still really good, and season 4 seems very promising. And I didn't enjoy the book nearly as much as the show. Maybe it's because I watched the series first, but I just couldn't get into it like I can for the series.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

I'm the opposite, the book was really good, and I found the characters in the series to just be frustrating caricatures. Other than Dexter himself.

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

Michael C. Hall does a fantastic job in the role. I'm really liking his performance in the 4th season so far.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:05 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:Season 2 was my favorite. Season 3 was still really good, and season 4 seems very promising. And I didn't enjoy the book nearly as much as the show. Maybe it's because I watched the series first, but I just couldn't get into it like I can for the series.

Really? I thought Season 2 was by far the worst. The first season for me is the ultimate high point of the show. It's never going to be that good again. The build-up, execution, and ending of that story was absolutely phenomenal. All the other seasons focus or rely too much on the supporting characters who are mostly pretty shallow and annoying, with a few exceptions (Agent Lundy, Doakes).
Season 3 was better then 2, but still mostly average. The new season has been interesting so far, but if they don't do something to change it up or ramp up the story soon it's going to get boring fast. I do love John Lithgow as a serial killer though.

Also, about the season 2 ending:
Spoiler:
Having Lyla (sp?) kill Doakes was the biggest cop-out ever. Instead of Dexter actually having to make a painful and calculated choice to either break his own code, or risk setting Doakes free and face the punishments, they just have Lyla come along at the last minute and solve all his problems for him. And then try to burn down him, along with the kids, giving him an easy excuse to kill her and resolve everything nice and neat. Weak. Very weak.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Season 2 not as good as season one, especially since it compromises the purity of the information from the book laid down in season one, the characters are doing and being accused of doing things that they wouldn't have actually done. :-P

Also, though i agree about season 2 being not as good, I'm very glad they didn't stick to the books for the later seasons. I hear they go completely off the deep end after book 2 or so and end up being about a cult and how
Spoiler:
Dexter is really only killing people because he is being controlled by a supernatural mythological god

:shock:
Yeah, not sorry at all they decided to ditch that.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Ya, book 3 was the suckingest jump that ever sharked. I was reading and going, "Wait, really? That's where you've chosen to go with this? No... really?"

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:53 am UTC

Really, I found season one to be a bit cliche. The whole "identity of the main villain" i saw coming from a parsec away. I have not yet experienced season four though. I need showtime.
uhhhh fuck.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:06 am UTC

I'm finding this thread interesting already... People think that the second season was the worst? Season 2 is the only season of Dexter that I've seen so far, apart from a couple of the final eps of the first, and I thought it was fantastic... I take it I've got stuff to look forward to?

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:54 am UTC

Midnight wrote:Really, I found season one to be a bit cliche. The whole "identity of the main villain" i saw coming from a parsec away. I have not yet experienced season four though. I need showtime.

Yeah, you can see it coming from an episode or two away, but it makes absolutely no difference to the story. Unlike lesser shows that used the whole "mysterious serial killer" angle (nip/tuck, for instance), the story and tension is in no way is reliant on finding out the who the killer is. The entire climax and conflict of the season happens in the last few episodes, long after everyone knows who the villain is.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Kaeyn wrote:I'm finding this thread interesting already... People think that the second season was the worst? Season 2 is the only season of Dexter that I've seen so far, apart from a couple of the final eps of the first, and I thought it was fantastic... I take it I've got stuff to look forward to?
Season one is brilliant, but that's what happens when you just take a great idea from a book and re-write well it for screen.

Midnight wrote:Really, I found season one to be a bit cliche. The whole "identity of the main villain" i saw coming from a parsec away. I have not yet experienced season four though. I need showtime.
Oh yeah, they spell it out pretty clearly pretty early on IMHO. I think it was fairly intentional.

novax6 wrote:
Allium Cepa wrote:Season 2 was my favorite. Season 3 was still really good, and season 4 seems very promising. And I didn't enjoy the book nearly as much as the show. Maybe it's because I watched the series first, but I just couldn't get into it like I can for the series.

Really? I thought Season 2 was by far the worst.
Yeah, I feel like season two is a A LOT more cliche than season one. Though the ending kind of seemed cliche, it was also awesome. but yeah season one was a whole story and arced beautifully etc., already knew where it was going. Season two is a litlte more like TV world where we do things like change our path mid stride to make the network happy. :-P (stupid heroes)

novax6 wrote:Yeah, not sorry at all they decided to ditch that.
Yeah that's a little chilche...and makes him too much the lovable higher-powered vigilante and not enough the cold blooded, I just have to kill, socio-path. that's another thing that bothers me about season two. Even like from the first episode where he thinks sex is gross and then they later just forget that. they just keep making him more and more human and less a fucking socio-path, to a certain extent yeah he needs to be fairly human or we don't love him, but they sort of forget that he's a sociopath when it's convenient.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

Well no, I think that the idea is over the course of the of the show, he becomes more human.
uhhhh fuck.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Midnight wrote:Well no, I think that the idea is over the course of the of the show, he becomes more human.

That's what I was getting out of it, since they threw the whole "sex is gross" thing out the window after Dexter's talk with the therapist.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Midnight wrote:Well no, I think that the idea is over the course of the of the show, he becomes more human.

That's what I was getting out of it, since they threw the whole "sex is gross" thing out the window after Dexter's talk with the therapist.
I feel like they threw it out in the next couple of episodes.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Anyone notice that there's an episode in season two that's titled after a line in Where the Wild Things are? That night, a forest grew.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is Rita getting more and more difficult to watch?

Also, neat twist. I wonder where they are going with it.

Spoiler:
A war between Dexter and Trinity would be the perfect way to get rid of Rita

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Oddly enough season 3 was probably my least favorite because I disliked Prado more than I disliked Lila.
All seasons had their high points though and I agree with most when saying season one has been my favorite so far.
I think season 4 is turning out really good. In regards to this seasons big bad.

Spoiler:
When I saw a 3rd rock from the sun over the weekend i thought it was so weird that I was thinking of the trinity killer but when I watch dexter I do not see dick solomon at all.

I hope marriage drama is not going to be a big issue in the show.

Also I'm wondering is anyone else hates harry? Ever since I saw an ep in season one:
Spoiler:
Dexter and his brother are sitting in a pool of their mothers blood. Harry sees them holding ands and forces the brother to let go of Dexter's hand and leaves him alone in the blood to carry Dexter away. I wanted him to get shot. That was messed up.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:Also I'm wondering is anyone else hates harry? Ever since I saw an ep in season one:
Spoiler:
Dexter and his brother are sitting in a pool of their mothers blood. Harry sees them holding ands and forces the brother to let go of Dexter's hand and leaves him alone in the blood to carry Dexter away. I wanted him to get shot. That was messed up.

The (correct) thought process was that one was beyond saving.
uhhhh fuck.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:01 am UTC

I also just have to say, I LOVE Deb. She talks like ME! :D

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

Love this show.

In regards to Henry criticisms:
Spoiler:
I think he might turn out to be Dexters real father and thats why he took one kid and left the other in the blood

I thought this new season started off slow but its building nicely and I am eager to learn what he decides to do about

Spoiler:
Trinity
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:I also just have to say, I LOVE Deb. She talks like ME! :D

deb reminds me of you a lot.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Spoiler:
I think he might turn out to be Dexters real father and thats why he took one kid and left the other in the blood

Spoiler:
Except the part where in season 1, Dexter's real father died. He even did a blood test to check.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:
Sprocket wrote:I also just have to say, I LOVE Deb. She talks like ME! :D

deb reminds me of you a lot.
The whoriness? The falling in love with a sociopath? or is it just the feisty attitude?

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:48 am UTC

The chronicle of Deb's life is hilariously and impossibly tragic though.

The short version (spoilers up to last weeks episode):
Spoiler:
-Father killed himself
-Engaged to and targeted by the ice truck killer
-Boyfriend kidnapped and tortured by a different serial killer
-New/Old boyfriend killed by trinity killer
-Brother a serial killer

That's....4....serial killers or murders she is or has been closely involved with.

It's amazing really, she should write a biography.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:01 am UTC

novax6 wrote:The chronicle of Deb's life is hilariously and impossibly tragic though.
It's amazing really, she should write a biography.

Spoiler:
novax6 wrote:The short version (spoilers up to last weeks episode):
[spoiler]-Father killed himself
-Engaged to and targeted by the ice truck killer
-Boyfriend kidnapped and tortured by a different serial killer
-New/Old boyfriend killed by trinity killer
-Brother a serial killer

That's....4....serial killers or murders she is or has been closely involved with.

Deb doesn't know most of those connections though.

- While Harry killed himself, didn't Dexter think the dad's death was accidental until the second season? And while Dexter may know, Deb wouldn't because Dexter doesn't seem to tell Deb anything.
- Lundy may have been killed by Trinity but as far as Deb knows, the Vacation Killer was the one who killed Lundy.
- Deb certainly doesn't know that Dexter is a serial killer.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:30 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:
Deb doesn't know most of those connections though.

I know, I wasn't seriously suggesting her character should write a book. :P
I just think it's pretty amusing, that's all.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 am UTC

Just finished Season 2.
Spoiler:
What the fuck, Season one the kill off the brother and you want so much for him to live! (I mean sure they were following the book, and sure it's THE CODE, and as a sociopath he has no understanding of right and wrong, only his own semblance of rules) But it's like NOOO! Couldn't he go away and be sneaky and show up once in awhile and be Dexter's Brother!
And NOW we end season to with KILLING OFF DOAKES!!?! FECK! I keep on trying to think of ways the dental records could have been wrong or something...I guess if the ACTUAL record were replaced, but it's pretty clearly him....GOD DAMN IT SHOW! At least we didn't like Lila anymore when he killed her. Grrr... I still feel like he basically killed Doakes. He signed his death certificate, and sure Lila was batshit, but feck, maybe she kind of was his soulmate. Same deal from season one - we understand each other, you have to die.

The metaphor for romantic relationships was much better in season one. The ways we make ourselves someone we're not to make the person we love happy, the way you can never really trust the person you love, as well meaning as they may be, is presenting their true self to you. ::sigh:: Me hopes for more good metaphor in the future.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:28 am UTC

Well that last scene with Trinity was ominous.

Also, poor Dexter. I thought that his work on the guy he killed this last episode was sort of shoddy

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:51 am UTC

starting season three. Robot, looks like Deb kinda has a similar haircut to me now.

306 Si Se Puede Spoiler
Spoiler:
God damn it, from the moment Dexter wanted Desmond Harrington's friendship I knew he was doomed, and now he knows Dexter's secret and said the words "I see who you are" Which can only mean Dexter will be killing him before the end of the season, or he'll die by some other means if he isn't a murderer.

Also, wtf happened to Deb's relationship since the end of season two? They haven't even mentioned him yet and I'm half way through!

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:Also, wtf happened to Deb's relationship since the end of season two? They haven't even mentioned him yet and I'm half way through!

Lundy? He leaves town when the case is over.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Don't worry too much.
Spoiler:
Lundy comes back for season 4

And speaking of Season 4. I've one thing to say: Shit just got real, yo.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Don't worry too much.
Spoiler:
Lundy comes back for season 4

And speaking of Season 4. I've one thing to say: Shit just got real, yo.

Yes indeed. The last episode was by far the best of the season. If the last remaining episodes are of the same quality, It might actually turn out to be a worthwhile season after all.

The entire scene...
Spoiler:
...with Aurthur's family at thanksgiving was creepy and excellent the whole way through. Best line of the season too: "I should have fucking killed you when I had the chance!"

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Yeah, that last episode was all sorts of crazy

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:41 am UTC

Episode 9 was the best episode so far of the season, absolutely brilliant.
Spoiler:
Dexter taking on Arthur when he lost it was fantastic, and the reveal at the end of the episode promises to keep the rest of the season interesting with twists and turns. Looking forward to the rest of it!
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”