Airbender and Korra - Shyamalan's Masterpiece Animated

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

Yeah, but for the most part those all seem like techniques that would still fall under normal air bending.

Anyway, I just thought of something...
Spoiler:
Nothing to do with bending here.

Alright, I'm predicting that we'll find out a lot more information about the Order of the White Lotus, since you know, half a season left, and it's still a mystery. That part's easy. However, I think we'll discover that there will be some kind of power behind the white lotus tiles that allow members who know how to use it to find each other quickly. I think this will help lead Iroh to the air temple.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:
Spoiler:
There is no airbending finishing move. Airbending is a very spiritual bending art, and from early on they are taught that all life is precious, so they would have no reason to "finish off" somebody. Also, the actual martial arts style that airbending is based off of has no finishing moves in it. Anyway, the lightning and bloodbending you mentioned aren't "finishers", but advanced forms of bending (or "pure forms"). They are the techniques you can perform only if you're truly mastered the style. Earth does have one, and that is metal bending. Even though Toph is the only one that can do it right now, any earthbender could theoretically bend metal.

Spoiler:
Actually...this is based on some slightly outdated information, but basically, the creators have said that each bending style has a sort of special style that is accessible to only some members of the style.

The special styles as given were:

Water: Healing
Fire: Lightning
Earth: Magnetism (that thing that the Dai Li were doing with their gloves, and Bumi spider-climbing walls)
Air: ?????

Now, based on the way it was described, and things I've gathered from the show, I have a couple theories:

1) Your ability to use these techniques is only tangentially related to how "good" you are at bending: that is, you could be the strongest firebender in the world, and still not know lightning bending, because lightning bending is *different*, and requires a fundamentally different state of mind from firebending.

2)Things like Metalbending, Blue Fire, and Bloodbending aren't special styles, so much as they're just something that incredibly strong benders can do.

Metalbending might be the exception there. It might require one to be incredibly strong but also know that magnetism thing, or it may be that the creators have changed their mind about what Earth's special style should be. I dunno.

As for airbending, the special style could be bending a new form of the element (vacuum does sound interesting, but I agree that it would be awkward for a kid's show) or else something that is traditionally related to the element, like healing is to water. Something like precognition. I'd have to look up what attributes tend to be related to air.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

aaaaaAAA!
(Not an actual spoiler, I just feel like I should put a warning before how crazy this is)
Spoiler:
Craziest thing ever, did anyone else notice this? I can't be the first person to notice this.
I watched Grease the other night,
and at the begining they start talking about "Zuko"
and zomg-wtf-bbq sauce
the guy's full name is serious Danny Zuko
aaaaa!

So what, did they do that on purpose? Is it still an argument for "Zutara" if it's just some wacked coincidence??

That is messing with my head so hard!

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

i just started watching this recently on anime6.org (yay streaming cartoons) i really really dont want to have to find a torrent for it but they are missing episodes here and there. i've given in and just read plot synopsis(es? how do you pluralize that?) for a couple but i'd really REALLY like to watch them. i'm on episode 10 of book 2. is there anywhere else short of downloading them i can get the full series?

i LOVE it so far. *not reading any spoilers* Toph is pretty badass.

"AHh! Its dark! i can't see a thing!" Sokka
"Oh no, what a nightmare!" Toph

heheee

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

Watch-avatar.com has all the episodes streaming online.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:50 am UTC

Spoiler:
Me watching episode 11, when Ozai attacks Zuko: Oh me yarm lightning!
Zuko's response: Oh me yarm Iroh's technique!
100% pure awesome

I'm along with the people who are worried that something bad might happen to Katara which triggers Aang to kick ass. Also, I still don't think that Aang is ever gona fight Ozai. I'm fairly convinced it'll be Fire Lord Azula he fights at the end of the season.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

I was watching through the beginning of Book Three today and some of the links had "Avatar: the Legend of Aang" in the title sequence. I remember it was advertised as this when I first heard of it while watching Nickolodeon at some point, but what I don't get is why they use different names. It's not like there's anything offensive in either variation of the titles, and I can understand why they might not want to use the word "airbender" if they can't figure out a concise enough translation but in the UK, an English-speaking country, they call it "the Legend of Aang". I really don't get it.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I was watching through the beginning of Book Three today and some of the links had "Avatar: the Legend of Aang" in the title sequence. I remember it was advertised as this when I first heard of it while watching Nickolodeon at some point, but what I don't get is why they use different names. It's not like there's anything offensive in either variation of the titles, and I can understand why they might not want to use the word "airbender" if they can't figure out a concise enough translation but in the UK, an English-speaking country, they call it "the Legend of Aang". I really don't get it.

Maybe "the last airbender" is too despairing?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

"No Sokka, it wasn't your skills that impressed me, Oh nonono, certainly not your skills... It was the way you failed everything in a *special* way"

I love this show. Very muchly.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:55 am UTC

Spoiler:
So I'm The Day of the Black Sun Part 2 online streaming. The episode starts off right when Sokka looks up to see his father showing up, hanging on Katara's shoulder. At this time, one of those aim emoticon advertisements chooses the moment to go "Oh My God! No Wai!"

I was so confused and then amused.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Haha great timing, kind of like that picture of when the player froze and they looked zombeh-like I posted.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

kcr

Postby kcr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:28 am UTC

Spoiler:
AGHH SO GOOD!

I love Zuko and his smack down to Ozai was amazing. But did anyone else chuckle when he went on his "everyone hates us and we've created an era of fear in the world" speech? A bit.. timely. Seeing all the minor characters come back as the resistance force was great, but where were Smellerbee and Longshot? Hopefully they and the Kyoshi warriors (crossing my fingers that they're still alive) will come back for the final battle/episode/whatever. It was a bigger failure than I was expecting. Everyone's a prisoner now.. I mean, damn. Can't wait for the Zuko/Gaang meet up and ensuing chaos. And how is Iroh going to join up? Because he better. Oo and Zuko and Azula's mom (name escapes me) may still be alive.. exciting.

Random, but the most frequent thought while I watched: Toph is such a bad ass I can hardly stand it.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Spoiler:
Smeller Bee and Longshot stayed behind with Jet, presumably until he died. And now they're in Ba Sing Se, also known as Ba Singed Se.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:45 am UTC

Ooh, nice burn.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

Yay! I finally finished playing catch-up with the series! I can read this thread without fear of getting spoiled!
une see wrote:
pieaholicx wrote:
une see wrote:
Spoiler:
Katara didn't play too much of a role in this one. I kind of wanted to see her new bloodbending skills put to use here.

Spoiler:
You must not know Katara well. There is no way she would ever use bloodbending unless she had no other choice. To her bloodbending seems to be as "evil" as firebenders.

Spoiler:
Yeah...I know that. I was expecting there to be a situation where bloodbending would more or less have to be used. Not that Katara would enjoy it by any means, but since she has this new ability, she is going to have to use it sometime, or what would the point be of her even learning it in the first place? It may have been the Halloween episode, but I still think her learning bloodbending is going to play a large role in the series.

Spoiler:
Like Belial said, it has to do with the lunar cycle. Bloodbending only works during full moon. Solar eclipses happen at the new moon. That means the waterbenders should have been weaker than average then, too, but that's a minor point. I'm more surprised that the firebenders couldn't harness the power of the volcano to have at least a little bit of bending power.

cephalopod9 wrote:aaaaaAAA!
(Not an actual spoiler, I just feel like I should put a warning before how crazy this is)
Spoiler:
Craziest thing ever, did anyone else notice this? I can't be the first person to notice this.
I watched Grease the other night,
and at the begining they start talking about "Zuko"
and zomg-wtf-bbq sauce
the guy's full name is serious Danny Zuko
aaaaa!

So what, did they do that on purpose? Is it still an argument for "Zutara" if it's just some wacked coincidence??

That is messing with my head so hard!

Does that mean
Spoiler:
when Zuko redirected his dad's shot at him, it was grease lightning?
(Spoilered for pun)

edit: It's too late for some, but at least now there's a warning for why that last bit is spoilered.
Last edited by Nimz on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LOWA

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

I hate you so hard for that pun.

So hard.

They/them

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I hate you so hard for that pun.

So hard.

You have to admit, that was pretty good though.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I hate you so hard for that pun.

So hard.

And yet, I find that I can feel only love.

There's always revenge-by-titling.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:05 am UTC

Nimz wrote:
Spoiler:
Like Belial said, it has to do with the lunar cycle. Bloodbending only works during full moon. Solar eclipses happen at the new moon. That means the waterbenders should have been weaker than average then, too, but that's a minor point. I'm more surprised that the firebenders couldn't harness the power of the volcano to have at least a little bit of bending power.

Spoiler:
I think that should actually make the waterbenders stronger. A new moon is basically a full moon, but during the day.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:31 am UTC

Errm. No, a new moon is that thing that is the opposite of a full moon, in which the moon is entirely invisible.

They/them

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:28 am UTC

Belial wrote:Errm. No, a new moon is that thing that is the opposite of a full moon, in which the moon is entirely invisible.

Okay, I could have worded that a bit better but think about this. The new moon is exactly the opposite of a full moon, so the position that the moon is in during the day of a new moon is the same position the moon is in during the night of the full moon (using the world as your reference point). That's where my reasoning of "a new moon is the same as a full moon, but during the day" came from.

... You know what'd be easier, the tidal ranges are at a maximum for a new moon just like they are for a full moon, so with that consideration I'd say a new moon should give the same effect as a full moon.

edited because I said full moon where I meant new moon.
Last edited by Swordfish on Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Hmm. Yeah, that makes sense.

I imagine that, spritually speaking, it isn't the same, though.

They/them

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Ep. 3-12 seems to be held up due to editing of "graphic" material.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:48 am UTC

.....seriously?

They/them

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:34 am UTC

Geekthras wrote:Ep. 3-12 seems to be held up due to editing of "graphic" material.

If it involves any thing with Toph, and an absence of clothing, I vote for no more editing.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:13 pm UTC

Aleril likes blind minors‽
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Aleril likes blind minors‽

I thought every one knew this fact.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Aleril likes blind minors‽

I thought every one did.

True.dat
Wait. With a SPOON?!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:20 am UTC

Geekthras wrote:Ep. 3-12 seems to be held up due to editing of "graphic" material.

[citation needed]

Also, ew, Toph is 12.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

Has the entire series transpired over the course of half a year? The character art has changed slightly (Uh, the Beach for example, when the hell did Mei get so hot?), which makes me believe these kids have grown a bit, but Sozin's comet comes at the end of the summer right? So it couldn't have been more then a year... Did they find Aang in the middle of winter?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

Each "Season" was a season. Season 1 started at the beginning of Winter (with the winter solstice being in the middle of the season [you can tell from the way they named the episodes "the Winter Solstice". It's subtle.]), Season 2 took place over spring, and Season 3 is summer. So, yes, a little less than a year. 3/4, to be exact.

They/them

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure it was towards the end/in the middle of Winter, since in the early episodes when they're in various areas of the Earth Kingdom, there's a light dusting of snow on grass and trees and stuff. Assuming they use the same calendar that'd give Aang between four and seven months to learn all the bending arts. Plenty of time for an Avatar.

An episode where someone celebrates their birthday could be quite cool.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

Winter Solstice is December 21, or thereabouts. Which has them pretty early in winter in the early episodes, I think.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

Ah, right you are.

Still though, when'd Mei get so hot?

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

I'll have to go back and look at screenshots (have to do that anyway...so much costuming to do...), but I don't think Mei's character design has changed much. She was just wearing less clothing in the beach episode.

They/them

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

Really? I actually dont find her hot at all, mostly because of she is the anti-Ty Lee, who I find very hot.

Also Mai really isnt that powerful.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 am UTC

Which has what to do with what?

They/them

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:57 am UTC

...moving on...

I think the one thing that I am glad about is that, unlike a lot of shows, kids cartoons don't generally leave you hanging at the end of a series, which will probably mean the last episode will be epic.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:58 am UTC

I'd hate for this thread to become a fanart thread but this was the most badass thing I've ever seen with regards to avatar.

Spoiler:
avatarbadass.jpg (659.31 KiB) Viewed 5262 times
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:04 am UTC

*agree*

Very much, although that doesnt really look like Katara.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”