Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Airbender and Korra - Shyamalan's Masterpiece Animated

Postby Angua » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:45 am UTC

The last episode:

Spoiler:
They really took the fight scene straight out of TLA. There were the same stone pillars and flying evil dude.

I thought it was really good though - definitely finally feels like this show has found its feet and has some purpose (rather than fighting villain of the season).

I really wish they'd done more with the spirits though.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:03 pm UTC

I also wish they'd done more with spirits in the entire season.

Spoiler:
This is the third time someone has tried to destroy the Avatar State instead of the current Avatar. I'm not sure what the next conflict can be, but there's some musings on the intertubes that the Metal Bending Captain that gets referenced (Govera?) a bunch in the last episode of S3 may be another Red Lotus mole.

One thing I felt was super well done was how enraged Korra was. Aang, even in the Avatar state vs Ozai didn't appear as furious. There's something so much more primal in the way Korra fights.

Also, I wish Bolin hadn't needed Mako to take down the lava dude.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, the bf and I decided that the captain must be evil as soon as she looked sweetly at Korra's dad. And then they mentioned her again and that just cemented stuff. Also, it's kind of plausible that Kazam and the waterbender might have escaped (he could probably encase himself in a ball of rock for a bit, and might have found her in time).

I kind of think that Bolin would have needed Mako though - he'd only learned lava bending a couple of hours beforehand so it would have been a bit of a stretch for him to suddenly be able to take down Kazam. I must say though, I'd been wondering why we never saw Mako lightning bend after we saw him doing it that one time in the power plant.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Mako lightening bends a few times, though yeah, he doesn't use it as much as he uses fire. He also used it to get the slip on Amon. I agree though, that given water lady has two watery arms that she wrecks things with, lightening bending should have been the first thing he went to.

I think I just have a soft spot for Bolin. He and Asami are the two 'good dudes' in the series that I feel keep their heads up and manage to do the right thing, instead of flailing like pissy teenagers.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I agree about Bolin and Asami being the more level-headed (Bolin doesn't seem it on first appearance, but even though he's a bit eccentric, his intentions are always on the right track). But, I think having Bolin being able to defeat the other guy and becoming a superbender all in one go would kind of ruin his down-to-earthness in the long run. He is the person who knows how to ask for help, and actually appreciates it, unlike most of the other characters who all have to prove themselves and only ask for help when they really need it. I guess I'm trying to say that he's a true team player. He's capable on his own, but really shines when working with others.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well said! I concede to your wisdom. Something I definitely have appreciated is how well Bolin and Mako fight together, supporting and synergizing with one another very smoothly.

Perhaps, now that Jinora is a certified master, and the air nomads have been converted to a kind of roaming charity (which I dig), season 4 will bring more interactions with spirits and the denizens of the world.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:38 pm UTC

Korra book 3 finale:
Spoiler:
Angua wrote:They really took the fight scene straight out of TLA. There were the same stone pillars and flying evil dude.
And the villian ended up trapped in a small pyramid of earth and mocked by the Avatar's friend. Of course, this time jet boots was the hero and the airbender was the villian. Similarly, on ground level, we're rooting for the lightning bender to zap the water bender this time around.

I don't think the random guard is a Red Lotus mole. She saves the life of the chief of the Southern Water Tribe so he can help the Avatar. That's pretty much the opposite of what a Red Lotus operative would do. She's voiced by Zelda Williams (the late Robin's daughter), so I'm guessing it was just a cameo, like when Sarena Williams played the guard in AtLA that Iroh warns to take a sick day during the elipse. If you're a fan of the show, and famous enough to get their attention, they'll let you voice a random guard. I don't know if this offer extends to people not named Williams.

Bolin defeating Ghazan in a lavabending battle would have been too much. Even Zaheer, who seems to be something of an airbending prodigy, needed help to fight an actual airbending Master.

Zaheer might get some of what he wants. Tenzin's speech about the new airbenders helping the world and fighting corruption, regardless of national boundaries, while the Avatar can't has a bit of overlap with Zaheer's speeches about people helping their loved ones without regard to nations. It's like the show is trying to teach two sides of the same moral simulataneously. First, the ends don't justify the means; you can have a noble cause and still be a villian. Conversely, someone being a villian doesn't make everything they believe wrong. But when you put them together, the overall lesson is that if you're willing to sacrifice yourself, you should take the most extreme measures possible to reach your goals; the heroes who stop you will then do what you want.

As sad as Korra was while being wheeled around, she didn't cry until Tenzin's speech about the world going on without the Avatar. Given how young Korra was when she started making everyone else deal with it, she might not even remember not being the Avatar. I could picture her meditating her way into the Spirit World more and more to escape her poisoned body, figuring the physical world doesn't need her, anyway. That could be interesting as long as it doesn't turn into some ham-fisted anti-drug metaphor.

I wonder if we'll see more airbenders learning to fly. The novice airbenders probably lack the skill, and it might require more spirituality than Tenzin has, but maybe Jinora could pull it off. I wonder why noone followed Lahima's example until Zaheer. Other bending specialties (metal, blood, lightning) have become more common than they were just a generation ago.

Given the scene where Zaheer's reading Lahina's writing and the following conversation with P'Li, it might be that he needed to sever his earthly ties by losing his loved one. That would match up with Aang's lesson about letting go of Katara to open his 7th chakra, and Zaheer does touch down when telling the others about P'Li. Having to be that severed from earthly ties would make flight rare, but you'd think there'd be enough lonely airbenders that flight wouldn't have died out.

That conversation with P'Li didn't really resonate with me since I'd just read that week's Tom the Dancing Bug. I did notice the hypocracy of P'Li showing her appreciation for being rescued from a warlord's service by helping to capture a child to train as a weapon.

Given that the metal poison is liquid without being hot enough to burn, it might be mercury. They showed it splattering into pools when Suyin pulled it out. I think that's what mercury does, but I'm not sure. If it was, the Red Lotus mooks who applied it to Korra were the first people we saw bending an actual element.

This isn't finale related, but I didn't think of it until now. I've read, and had, some complaints about Tenzin never getting any better at teaching. But, that actually makes sense. Remember when he's giving a day-by-day recap of some guru's fast? All the new airbenders are bored out of their minds, except for the one Acolyte who's just eating it up. That guy is the type of student Tenzin's had for his entire adult life. He's always had people willing to follow his way unquestioningly, so he never learned to motivate anyone.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:20 am UTC

Huh. Those are all really interesting insights. This is exactly the sort of thing I come to this thread for. Thank you.

Spoiler:
I think it's worth pointing that while Tenzin remained a poor teacher, he improved greatly as a mentor to Korra, and ultimately, has grown a lot as a character.

I loved Zuko's face when Korra mentioned she saw Iroh

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think I just have a soft spot for Bolin. He and Asami are the two 'good dudes' in the series that I feel keep their heads up and manage to do the right thing, instead of flailing like pissy teenagers.

I'm not sure if I agree about Bolin, at least not without a discussion. He's most certainly supposed to play such a role, and he's usually written consistently like that, but if we take all his actions at face value, he's almost as bad as Mako.

Examples:
- Season 2, ep 13,
Spoiler:
when he manipulates the tragically naïve Eska into releasing him and Mako, by feigning affection.

- Season 3, ep 12,
Spoiler:
when Suyin, reunited with her daughter, embraces Opal, and Bolin just shoves the former out of the way to get to the latter

It's clear that these examples are just throwaway sequences to provide some quick comedy, but it's still a shitty way to treat people, and can be interpreted to show that when push comes to shove, Bolin is just a big, selfish baby. In the long run, I prefer a teenage Korra.

This accentuates the difference (in quality) between Bolin and Sokka. Sokka could be a pretty nasty person as well, but it was part of his character, and it affected how people treated him (like in "The Fortuneteller"). Bolin is just an asshole out of the blue every now and then, but none of the other characters react because the events are just instant comedic sidetracks.

Isaac Hill wrote:
Spoiler:
Given that the metal poison is liquid without being hot enough to burn, it might be mercury. They showed it splattering into pools when Suyin pulled it out. I think that's what mercury does, but I'm not sure. If it was, the Red Lotus mooks who applied it to Korra were the first people we saw bending an actual element.

Spoiler:
It's sure been made to look like mercury, but I' don't think we're going to get very far speculating about it. If it's mercury, it's a pure metallic element, like platinum, and should have been unbendable.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

Manipulating Eska is the worst we see Bolin getting up to, and frankly, describing her as 'tragically naive' is a bit like describing Amon in combat as 'woefully incapable of bending'. Eska was a pretty scary and crazy person in her own right.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:40 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Huh. Those are all really interesting insights. This is exactly the sort of thing I come to this thread for. Thank you.
You're welcome. I don't have an image for that.

I like Bolin, but agree that he's a less interesting character than Sokka. Actually, they seem to have split Sokka's characteristics between Bolin and Asami. Bolin's the comic relief guy, Asami's the non-bender who thinks more practically.
Spoiler:
Thadlerian wrote:
Isaac Hill wrote:Given that the metal poison is liquid without being hot enough to burn, it might be mercury. They showed it splattering into pools when Suyin pulled it out. I think that's what mercury does, but I'm not sure. If it was, the Red Lotus mooks who applied it to Korra were the first people we saw bending an actual element.

It's sure been made to look like mercury, but I' don't think we're going to get very far speculating about it. If it's mercury, it's a pure metallic element, like platinum, and should have been unbendable.

I remember that Book 1 line explaining why platinum is unbendable, but that was written when they didn't even know there would be future books, let alone what the plot details would be. They've made tweaks to the bending laws before, like when bloodbending was restricted to during a full moon, until it wasn't. It seems more likely that this is another of their tweaks than that they would make a poison that resembles mercury, give us a close-up of it splattering like mercury, then have it not be mercury.

I know it doesn't really matter if the poison was mercury. Korra's symptoms seem pretty generic. It's not like they gave her Hatter Madness. It's more about whether it really counts as speculating to assume the most logical explanation for what the show has shown us.

It's like when people were questioning whether Zaheer had really killed the Earth Queen, since none of the dialogue used the word "dead" or "killed". I made a similar mistake when I thought something had happened to Daw (the bridge guy) and that none of the Acolytes got airbending, all because Tenzin refered to Kai as his "first" recruit. This doesn't seem like the type of show to have plot dictated by rules-lawyering the dialogue.

Consider Dj's wondering if the final Council line-up was all benders. When Tarrlock was pitching his task force, he said "Amon is not going to stop with the bending triads. Eventually, he will come for all us benders. Our friends, our families. Vote for this task force and I will stop Amon before it's too late. All in favor?" (transcript)

Technically, Tarrlock could be saying "us and "our" to refer to a group he represents, like he would say "we of the Water Tribe". But, given his delivery and the worried looks the council members give each other, it's pretty safe to assume that he's appealing to the other Council members' fear for their own safety as potential Amon targets.

A show's maturity isn't just about how much death and despair it can get away with, or the amount of character development it has. It's also about not playing "made ya look" or misleading games with its audience. Consider Kai getting blown the cliff. At the end of the episode, we see that Kai was saved by getting caught in a conveniently placed bush, then rescued by a bison. That's bullshit, but the show let us know about it right away.

A lesser show, one worthy of nitpicking and rules-lawyering, would have wrung some false drama out of that by waiting until the next week to show us Kai's survival. An even worse show would have skipped that scene entirely and revealed Kai's survival when he saved Tenzin and the others.

The main exception to this is that they spring new bending rules on us, especially in finales. I think Korra Book 3 is only the second season finale not to hinge on some new surprise bending power. Previously, we've had Koizilla, Aang's coma (the first such finale), Aang taking Ozai's bending, Aang restoring Korra's bending, and WTF. Jinora's group tornado might count as new, but it's a natural progression from what we've seen individual aribenders do, so it's not a shock like the others. I think I enjoyed this finale more because there was no bending surprise to distract me from the story.

One thing that does bother me: was Katara not at Jinora's ceremony? I didn't see her in any crowd scenes, but didn't bother to go frame-by-frame looking for her.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 am UTC

I've been trying to find something again that I thought was quite cool but it's hard to search through lots of spoilers (and I might not have even read it on this forum):

Spoiler:
It was something along the lines of what happens when someone of each bending type turns evil
firebenders seek domination
earthbenders seek control
waterbenders manipulate
airbenders want chaos

I'm pretty sure it was said a bit more eloquently than that, but I thought it was a pretty neat idea.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:51 am UTC

I think it was Isaac who said that. Might be wrong. It was definitely on this forum though.

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, the bf and I decided that the captain must be evil as soon as she looked sweetly at Korra's dad. And then they mentioned her again and that just cemented stuff.

Spoiler:
What cemented it for me is that when they gave her a closeup it was accompanied by otherwise unexplainable suspicious-sounding music. The music is what gave it away.

As for why she'd save Korra's father... I dunno? Backup plan, perhaps. Her cover goes even deeper... it would be a good thing to do on the mountainside when she can see that Zaheer's plan isn't going as smoothly as thought and that the Red Lotus may need to regroup ("Anarchists have a group?"). And it's a great setup for an epic betrayal next season.

Izawwlgood wrote:
Spoiler:
I agree though, that given water lady has two watery arms that she wrecks things with, lightening bending should have been the first thing he went to.

Spoiler:
Thanks for pointing that out. I completely missed that he lightning bended in that scene. I thought it was Asami for some reason (she used it on the guard earlier), and thought it was odd that they never showed her...

On the note of those battles... I kinda hope Ghazan survived. Out of all the main 4 I liked him (personally, as in he was friendly) the best. Even at the end... he just doesn't want to go back to prison.

Isaac Hill wrote:Korra book 3 finale:
Spoiler:
Tenzin's speech about the new airbenders helping the world and fighting corruption, regardless of national boundaries, while the Avatar can't has a bit of overlap with Zaheer's speeches about people helping their loved ones without regard to nations.

Spoiler:
That'll be interesting. Of course, destroying one of the Air Temples helps. I kind of hope though, in the grand scheme that even if they keep the Nomad thing up (which they should) they should rebuild the Northern Temple and to continue using them as homes of sorts. After all, while those Airbenders covering for Korra right now is nice, they all pretty much still need to complete their training and such, which is difficult if they disperse everywhere.

Isaac Hill wrote:
Spoiler:
Given the scene where Zaheer's reading Lahina's writing and the following conversation with P'Li, it might be that he needed to sever his earthly ties by losing his loved one. That would match up with Aang's lesson about letting go of Katara to open his 7th chakra, and Zaheer does touch down when telling the others about P'Li. Having to be that severed from earthly ties would make flight rare, but you'd think there'd be enough lonely airbenders that flight wouldn't have died out.

Spoiler:
I think that hit the nail on the head. He couldn't fly until he lost P'Li, his last earthly tie. The others were comrades, but didn't mean quite so much. The Airbenders probably won't unlock flying because they have attachment. They have families, and at the very least, each other. Aang did say that the monks were like his family, so maybe Airbenders weren't quite always so lonely. As opposed to Laghima himself who appears to have left everyone to go sit on a rock.

As for the past few episodes.

I think that this season was extremely impressive, with regards to character development, plot and all sorts of things. I appreciate the Airbender plot, with Jinora and Kai (who, admittedly, was a bit of a cliché, but I think in the end was rather decent) and all in general, and how it eventually came into the main plot.

The finale leaves so many interesting possibilities as well.

With regards to comparing TLA and LOK... I won't. They share common bonds but have strikingly different personalities. TLA's style, with its characters, development and plot was one thing. It was one very long adventure with a central point, and yet, many surrounding and supporting features and ties, as well as having the ability to wander a little bit and explore (which Korra's pacing doesn't allow). Korra also has a central cast, but it's secondary cast is also very important (and large) and they take on incredibly significant roles. It has a lot of development (which TLA did too, but in different, perhaps softer, ways), changes twists and turns. TLA is one epic. Korra's combined adventures are an epic in themselves, but are divided into many important events. Korra will probably end looking very different from TLA, but both will probably be remarkable.

Spoiler:
I'm a bit of a sucker for the Jinora subplot, as she's probably the character I have a soft spot for, so the ending was awesome for me. But Tenzin's speech does have very significant consequences. As mentioned, with the main villainry wiped out (Zaheer exists... the existence of capital punishment in this universe is very inconsistent), it'll be interesting to see how everything develops. Is Zaheer out of the game or will he make a return? If not, will there be someone new? It's hard to imagine the Red Lotus has someone else comparable who just so happens not to have shown up in any of this.

I also have to wonder if Tenzin getting himself nearly killed was another reason he made up his mind re: Jinora's master-ranking. Of course, she earned it (mastering the skills and inventing a new technique--which got Aang his tattoos early. But I think it must have had some effect on him. What would happen if he had died (and the others hadn't)? The Air Nation would be left without any master. Seeing as his whole life has been revolving around saving the Air Nation, this must have been a deep concern he considered.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

Angua - I posted the thing you're thinking of on page 40, Aug 05. I can't take credit for the observation, or the wording, since I pretty much copied from a commenter on The A.V. Club. I'd post a direct link, but Disqus threads are even harder to search through than spoilered posts.
Spoiler:
Djehutynakht wrote:I think that hit the nail on the head. [Zaheer] couldn't fly until he lost P'Li, his last earthly tie. The others were comrades, but didn't mean quite so much. The Airbenders probably won't unlock flying because they have attachment. They have families, and at the very least, each other. Aang did say that the monks were like his family, so maybe Airbenders weren't quite always so lonely. As opposed to Laghima himself who appears to have left everyone to go sit on a rock.
I get that's how Zaheer was able to do that, I was just suprised that no on else had been able to do it. Maybe anyone since Lahima who was detached enough to fly was enough of a loner that no one noticed s/he left. A nomadic culture would expect people to come and go, so nobody would think much of it if they didn't see the aloof guy anymore. Or, I'm just over thinking this.

I'm also very interested to learn what happens to Zaheer. Team Avatar knows he can medidate his way into the spirit world and still be able to lead his followers. I'm expecting another twist to the universe rules, like saying that if you enter the spirirt world through a portal, you can't leave your body once you're there, so they build a prison in the spirirt world.

Maybe once word gets out that Zaheer threw Aiwei into the Fog of Lost Souls, his followers will abandon him? Tenzin rescued his siblings from the FoLS in Book 2. It's possible he could save Aiwei, who would turn on the guy who threw him in, and help Team Avatar.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

Thanks!
Spoiler:
I wonder if taking away someone's bending also takes away their ability to enter the spirit world.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

Hm...
Spoiler:
Interesting. A part of me feels that entering the spirit world and bending would be separate abilities... benders aren't the only spiritual beings so far as I know. Yet I'm not sure if I can recall proof of non-benders who have done so.

It would have effect on Zaheer's time in prison beforehand. I'd imagine he'd be constantly going to the spirit world, but I have no proof that he ever had. It seems like he knew about it pretty well however (the grove, the fog of lost souls, etc.) beforehand.

How they'd stop him is a good question... Potentially some sort of chi-blocking mechanism? Or some sort of other blocker that prevents his leaving.

It would probably have been simplest if Korra took his bending, whether spiritual perks were involved or not. However, given her state, I'd say it isn't likely she did.

Zaheer's breakdown rant at the end disappointed me however. He'd always seemed so much better than resorting to useless shouts of babble, even if I thought his ideas were wrong.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
I was pretty ecstatic about the last few episodes; the show really kicked it up a few notches. And I REALLY liked how Korra acted when she was in the Avatar State. Lots of 'splosions.

I also didn't really hate ("hate") Zahir until the second to last episode, when he kind of needlessly betrayed folks in the Avatar/hostage trade. And then also when he just straight-up taunted Korra's dad while Korra's dad was mid-flight off a cliff.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Hm... I was just back to musing about this.

Reverting again to the topic of Jinora, I have to wonder about her role here again. Even though she doesn't get much screen time, I have a feeling that she's a bit more important a character than she's being portrayed. Namely, I just realized that Jinora has been pretty much responsible for bailing Korra out and saving her life (and, actually, the Avatar as a whole) on two separate occasions now; the first when she "revived" Raava, allowing Korra to save herself and restore the Avatar, and the second time in this finale, when she leads the whole group airbending tornado to rescue her and capture Zaheer.

As far as I'm aware the only other time in the show has been when Katara saved Aang (and the Avatar as a whole) after he got hit by Azula.

As far as I can tell, having someone be essential to the victory in two situations is pretty important. And though, obviously, Korra is going to be the main focus on this, Jinora's previous role in bailing her and the world out, as well as apparently now being one of the leaders of the international airbender peacekeeping force, I'd like to see what develops.

And, as always, more Iroh.

Also, going back, I think I've managed to rationalize the whole ending of season 2. It's still very incredible and unlikely, but, hey, I guess that license applies in battles for the fate of the universe.

And on a final note, I'm also curious about... why the hell doesn't Raava speak to the Avatars anymore? I'd think that would come in handy sometimes.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 am UTC

You're welcome, Angua.
Spoiler:
Sokka was brought to the Spirirt World by that panda thing (Hei Bai?). I don't know if he was brought bodily, like through a portal, or spiritually, like by meditating.

I could see it going either way with Zaheer. At the end of one episode, we see him meditating and, seemingly out of nowhere, say the Avatar is with the Metal Clan. From what we learn later, that was probably a meeting with Aiwei. Aiwei would have had to know when to meditate into the Spirit World, and where to go, for that meeting to occur. One possibility is Zaheer was going into the SW while incarerated, like Djehutynakht said, and meeting with Red Lotus agents there regularly.

I wasn't into Zaheer's breakdown at the end, either. It seems like they were going for something similar to Azula's breakdown, where the very competent villian loses their shit when their plans finally fall through. But, I don't think Henry Rollins pulled off the voice acting for that anywhere nearly as well as Grey Delisle.

As for the double cross, since the airbenders (other than Tenzin) weren't actually in the temple, it's not like they were in danger from Ghazan and Ming Hua. But, it does seem a bit harsh for a guy who, maybe two episodes ago, stopped Ming Hua from smacking that radio operator around because they were there to help citizens like him. Freeing most of the airbenders, but keeping Tenzin and his family hostages for leverage, would have been more in character for a guy who genuinely thinks he's helping people, but despises leaders. Of course, he probably didn't want to release a dozen or so enemy benders when he was trying to kill their friend.

Taunting Korra's dad was unusually harsh but, as Korra's dad is the chief of the Southern Water Tribe, in character.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:27 am UTC

Book 4 is entitled Balance and will premiere October 3rd.

http://www.nick.com/videos/playlist/pla ... ylist.html

...what.

It's not even going to be on TV? Just online?

Nickelodeon... what the hell is going on with you?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:40 am UTC

Lower viewership, and I think i remember reading most viewers were watching via the website anyway.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:27 am UTC

Yeah, but that's in part because they completely screwed up the airing of Book 3.

I mean, I'm well aware that online streaming is very important now. But TV's still a valuable asset. As long as you're running a channel... is a SpongeBob rerun really going to rake in more advertising dough? Taking less than a month to market it (online or otherwise). Completely foregoing any TV run?

Part of me suspects they're just trying to end the series quickly... which is incredibly stupid considering the product they have here.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:46 am UTC

It's probably not just lower viewers, but very low numbers of viewers who stick around to watch what comes on next. Most of the people who watch a Spongebob rerun will at least consider watching what comes next, especially since it's likely another Spongebob rerun. Similarly, a young child who just watched Fairly Oddparents might find the LoK episode after a bit too intense. Maybe if Nick had its own late-night mature audiences lineup, like Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, Korra would work there.

Korra might not bring in the merchandising dollars other shows have. TRU usually has some Spongebob or Cosmo toys. I don't think I've seen any LoK stuff. I don't think they had any merch of the female AtLA cast, either, so maybe Nick just hates women?

As upset as I was about them yanking Book 3 off the air, I'm not too bummed about this. Apparently, Nick's decided they don't want to air LoK, so the choice isn't see the episodes on TV or see the shows online, it's see the episodes online or don't see them.

If October is too long to wait, I found out about some other Avatar content to tide you over. "Republic City Hustle" is a 3 part web show (about 10 minutes total) about Mako and Bolin when they were younger. The animation style is completely different from the show, but it has Mako and Bolin's real voice actors. "The Rebound" is a 10 page comic story about Mai after her breakup with Zuko, which isn't in "The Lost Adventures" comic compilation.

Prediction for Book 4:
Spoiler:
Too sick to carry out the more physically demanding duties of being the Avatar, Korra spends the entire season standardizing those Pai Sho rules.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:03 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Prediction for Book 4:
Spoiler:
Too sick to carry out the more physically demanding duties of being the Avatar, Korra spends the entire season standardizing those Pai Sho rules.

Spoiler:
She should probably just go talk to Iroh again, and have him standardize the rules.

Considering the teaser we got in Book 3 with Zuko and Korra's Iroh conversation, I'm going to be very disappointed if Zuko doesn't at least end up speaking to him this season.

Although, how awesome is it that Iroh was cool enough that they felt compelled to keep him across LoK?

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:22 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw

Book 4 Trailer out.

Spoiler:
Looks pretty cool.

Well first, 3 years later. Very significant change (and may allow creators to go more into detail about that hiatus later).

It seems we have some army that wants to do something. Korra is having a bit of an identity crisis, and is going for a new style (opposed to Jinora, who appears to have her hair back... but is that Meelo who's decided to forego his baldness?). It reminds me of when Iroh and Zuko cut their hair in TLA, which means business.

I think I saw Zhu Li in a mechatank which is... incredible. I've been waiting for that for like, two seasons now. Varrick is a brilliant character.

The Air Nation seems to be doing it's thing.

And... apparently Korra finds Toph. Hopefully she's alive (though, since the scene was underground... I dunno).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

Spoiler:
They made it somewhat ambiguous if Korra is out of her chair.

And I think we saw a few glimpses of the 'Metal Nation' captain that got all that air time towards the end of book 3.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Spoiler:
They made it somewhat ambiguous if Korra is out of her chair.

Spoiler:
It was a bit obvious that the (now short-haired) Korra is mostly out of her chair, although it's obvious that we at least see a few parts while she's still in it (there was at least one scene of Katara(?) healing what I think was her in a pool.

Although it also appears there's a scene of her getting pulled into a giant pool of mercury/metallic liquid(?) so maybe the world is just cruel to her.

She also appears to go spirit world a lot.

EDIT:

Oh hey look. Madame Firelord. I almost didn't see her there.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:21 am UTC

Oh. Here's the first two minutes of the second season, for any interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf1_JdLKBck#t=68

Initial thoughts:

Spoiler:
Goddammit, they found an heir.

Dammit Zaheer, didn't anyone ever teach you the basics of overthrowing a monarchy? Never leave heirs!

He can't possibly be her son. He has to be from, like, some distant branch. A nephew, or a second cousin once removed or something.

Although it's pretty obvious this guy is... not making it anywhere.

Also, for all you spirit-lovers:
Spoiler:
There. Everyone lives in harmony with spirits, apparently, in some wonderful pseudo-Urban-Wilderness harmony type thing.

I'm glad we got to see our old Season 1 tramp friend. Takes me back... glad to know he's doing well.

Also, very funny how Raiko did a complete 180 on Korra and has now renamed their central park after her.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:09 am UTC

Spoiler:
Heh, to my ears, the prince sounds like a combination of Mako, Bolin and Phil Hartman. How very strange.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So, wouldn't those new airbender uniforms (which are cool, but I wish they hadn't got rid of the staff completely) mean that none of them are ever able to raise their arms above their head?

Also, Kuvira is definitely looking like she's going down the evil route. She probably had those bandits attack the supplies to pressure them into joining up. And did Mako say that the guys who threw the pies were probably Kuvira supporters? That didn't make any sense if Bolin is working with her...
GNU Terry Pratchett

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
So, wouldn't those new airbender uniforms (which are cool, but I wish they hadn't got rid of the staff completely) mean that none of them are ever able to raise their arms above their head?

Also, Kuvira is definitely looking like she's going down the evil route. She probably had those bandits attack the supplies to pressure them into joining up. And did Mako say that the guys who threw the pies were probably Kuvira supporters? That didn't make any sense if Bolin is working with her...

Spoiler:
If you look at the wing uniforms, the wings can be unclipped from the arms and clipped to the front of the suit (via those little golden buttons on the chest). It's an innovative design... but I kinda miss the old airbender uniforms. Tight-fitting spandex-like things aren't quite my style, even if aerodynamic. The Airbenders seemed to have gotten along fine enough before.

I suspect that is what Kuvira did. It's exactly the same trick Varrick played in S2 to get Asami to sell him half of Future Industries... and look who's riding with Kuvira. Someone actually pointed it out to me that flying-ponytail-bandit was amongst those who Kuvira took down after they attacked her train, which seems to confirm this. Plus, where else would they get a plane?

As for Bolin... my guess here is that while a lot of other people are suspicious of Kuvira, like Opal, Bolin legitimately sees her as someone who is trying to reunite the Earth Kingdom and restore peace and he wants to help all he can. Again, very similar to S2 when he completely trusted Varrick and that backfired.

I think the opening to Book 4 was pretty great. We got to see a number of interesting developments. I'm curious to see where this will all pan out. So many new changes...

I like the Governor of Yi, for the record.

Other things about the episodes:
Spoiler:
-Kuvira has an awesome train. Her whole domination of the states thing will prove interesting.

-I haven't heard any mention of it, but (besides Zaofu) I'd think that Kuvira's most difficult Earth Kingdom challenge would be conquering Omashu. I'd like to see how they'd respond to her.

-Speaking of Zaofu, Kuvira appears to be engaged to Baatar Jr, Suyin's eldest child. If Zaofu's rule is indeed hereditary, might this in fact be a partly political marriage, for control.

-I'm kinda liking this whole Kai-Opal buddy-cop thing. I think they work well together. Still adjusting to Kai's new voice.

-Prince Wu is... interesting. He seems harmless, not mean at all, though arrogant and pampered. I definitely wouldn't put him in charge. Kuvira must be fuming/planning to take him out... her being so determined and spartan.

The pie assassination was pretty funny, yet oddly intense. The creator's got us good. The men were dark and shady. The trailer already hints to us that Wu gets attacked. The creators have shown taking out people is no longer an issue. So we suspect an attempt... and then, pie.

Meelo's bit was a bit...odd. I can't tell if Ikki is becoming more sullen with preteenness... maybe not. And she has Pabu! Tenzin's smile when he heard of Korra's return was awesome... not much Jinora yet. Rohan doesn't appear to have airbended.

This season should be interesting.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I didn't notice the clips. My main problem with the uniforms is that I don't like the grey arms. I think another colour would have been nicer!

It's good that they used the same bandits - I'm just really bad at recognising people! Took me a while to recognise what's his name when he infiltrated airbender island, and my bf was all 'duh, didn't you recognise him :P '

I just kind of thought that if it was Kuvira vs Earth King then it would be more obvious. But I guess if Kuvira has just been a bit vocal about having lineage rule, then having the 'assassins' just embarrass the heir makes sense - she could still be reluctantly working for him, and Bolin would still believe in that.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:10 am UTC

That second episode was pretty awesome. They seem to have an interesting medley developing here. It'll be very interesting to see how this all goes.

Spoiler:
Korra's whole healing process, and the physical/mental/spiritual processes involved therein seem pretty interesting.

Her "Avatar" ghost following her seems interesting. It seems to be a tangible thing. At least, spirits can see it. And it appears to be able to physically harm her.

I'm wondering what exactly its purpose is though. Genuine antagonism? Trying to get Korra back on her feet? I have no idea. On one hand, it has been attacking her. I'm not sure why it led her to the fighting ring. But it also appears to have led her to a very special someone also, so... maybe helpful?

On that note, aww.. Spirits. We see them doing stuff. I wonder if that little guy is going to make a return. He was definitely interesting, and notably helpful.

Also, Aang's picture in that shop was priceless. He was doing the Kyoshi thing.

And of course... TOPH!
I wonder what' Toph's going to be up to. With relation to the Earth Kingdom... she is the "greatest earthbender". I wonder if she'll get involved. With regards to healing Korra... I'm also curious. Toph is known for her very tough approach to things. And I wonder if we'll see her unite with her daughters/Katara and Zuko.

But yeah.
She lives in a cave in a swamp. I am absolutely unsurprised whatsoever.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:49 am UTC

I'm just here to say
Spoiler:
After not being able to see much of their original characters in Katara, Aang or Zuko, Toph is SPOT ON! Yay
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

This was a really good episode. Book 4 is going along very well so far. Compared to book 2, where my two favorite episodes where ones without Korra in them at all, this is a great improvement.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

In which I over analyse the latest episode of Korra:

Spoiler:
I don't think Korra's paralysis was due to her injuries as much as it was some sort of Conversion motor paralysis after the trauma of going through the poisoning and what Zaheer did to her. This is why she doesn't seem to have any specified sensory deficits, and why she seemed to be able to move ok? while tossing and turning when she was having the nightmares. Also, why Katara wasn't able to heal her, but she needed physiotherapy and mental exercises in order to walk (physiotherapy is the best treatment for conversion disorders - apparently even people who go blind with it benefit from some sort of eye physio). I think that this conversion disorder is also manifesting as a dissociation between her and her avatar state, and the disrupted balance is what's making the spirit side of her appear to her. The avatar state is probably trying to help her, though Korra has never been that great at helping herself the first time round - her cycle is 'others try to help, she decides it's not working, she tries by herself, runs into other difficulties, finally works together with the others and get stuff to work'. So, her avatar side tries to fight with her to connect itself, which is counterproductive (or, maybe her avatar state is trying to get her to fight as that's where she gets the most flashbacks from, so it's hoping to get her to just battle through until they go?). Either way, not working. At least we've got through the first 2 phases of Korra dealing with problems in this episode, so hopefully now she'll be able to work with Toph to properly heal.

Also, I totally loved Bolin's letter/drawings. Interesting to hear that he thought of his decision to join Kuvira and Varrick as controversial, even from the start.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The visual metaphor at the end of the fight was a little heavy handed, but I love the way the Evil Avatar mirage moves.

Also, Korra's vision quest of the last few years gave me an incredible case of the wanderlusts. I want to take a trimeran and sail the world, hike the deserts, climb the volcanos, stop for a moment in the north pole and convene with the spirits.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:56 pm UTC

The coronation
Spoiler:
So, that went pretty much as expected from Kuvira's side. I can't believe that Bolin has drunk the koolaid though - I wonder how Opal's going to react. I'm guessing that Varrick is working on a way to extract spirit energy? Or maybe exploit the way the vine regrows all the time? I'm wondering if we're going to start getting spirit slaves or something. Certainly intriguing, to say the least.

Loved Toph.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

Korra Book 4, Ep 1-3:
Spoiler:
I had the thought Djehutynakht did, that Kuvira was aping Verrick's style and controlling the bandits herself. I hope not. If Kuvira's behind the bandits, then she's simply a power hungry villian who must be stopped. If she's the only one solving a legitimate problem, that's more interesting.

Angua, I liked Bolin's letters, too, but the art kind of reinforces the idea that Bolin is a lesser Sokka. Sokka's terrible drawings were simply the best efforts of an unskilled man. The silliest thing he ever did was add a rainbow to a landscape. Bolin's were just flat-out childlike. I didn't get a sense that Bolin found Kuvira controversial, but that his "trepidation" was more about the life changes of taking a new job away from his brother and friends.

Bolin sticking with Kuvira even after the Coronation may not be the wisest move, but it fits in with his character. He trusted Verrick longer than anyone else did. And that worked out pretty well for him, what with him becoming a mover star. He's pretty open to charismatic people.

Now that I think of it, Verrick may actually be one of the most amoral people in the Avatar universe. Amon and Zaheer were doing something they genuinely thought would be for the greater good. Unalaq, Kuvira (assuming she's not behind the bandits), and even Sozin started out trying to help people before being corrupted by power. Even Tarlock was trying to stop violent extremists threatening his city. I think only Ozai, the Earth Queen, and Verrick have never shown any concern for others. Well, Zolt didn't, but he never got anywhere near enough time to learn anything about him.

Ep 2 was good, but pushed the Zuko-Korra parallels a bit much. The title was "Korra Alone", there was the shot of her bruised eye in the cracked mirror looking like Zuko's scar, she cut her own hair with a knife, and threw her blue and white accessory into the water. Did I miss any? It's not that the parrallel is inappropriate; both characters had to work through traumatic events in their pasts to learn that they don't have to be so self-reliant. It's just that noticing those specific things got a bit distracting. Instead of watching Korra change her appearance and thinking about what this represents about her sense of self, I'm thinking, "Her armband's drifting away just like Zuko's Blue Spirit mask. Neat."

When we learned that Toph became chief of police, I thought it was odd that the girl who said "Let's break some rules" before gleefully knocking down a wall would end up in a position of high authority. But, when we see Chief Toph in last book's flashback, she's very stressed about how Suyin's legal trouble would look. Caring that much about others' opinions isn't like young Toph at all. Now that she's freed from that responsibility, she's back to the same happy rebel we saw in AtLA. Maybe the chief job wasn't such a good fit for her, after all.

So, Korra spent Ep 2 having to be tricked into learning to accept help. At the end of Ep 3? "Bend the poison out yourself". Is this an example of this Book's overall theme of Balance, leaning when to accept help and when to do things yourself, or the universe jerking Korra around?

Shouldn't Jinora be able to just astral-project (or whatever it's called) to find Korra the way she found Kai?
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 am UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm guessing that Varrick is working on a way to extract spirit energy? Or maybe exploit the way the vine regrows all the time?

Spoiler:
In the trailer we saw him using it as a sort of power-generating source. So I think that's basically it.. Spirit vines are essentially the nuclear energy of Avatar. No idea if it'll be weaponized in the same way though.

Isaac Hill wrote:
Spoiler:
I had the thought Djehutynakht did, that Kuvira was aping Verrick's style and controlling the bandits herself. I hope not. If Kuvira's behind the bandits, then she's simply a power hungry villian who must be stopped.

Spoiler:
Hopefully not spoiling anything (if so stop reading) but according to the creators she is supposed to be the "villain" of the season. However, like you mentioned, a lot of villains in the past (Amon, Zaheer) had a general belief that what they were doing was good. Kuvira thinks this too. I don't think her mindset is intentionally "Yeah I'm going to be completely power-hungry and I'll destroy the Earth Kingdom for my own personal gain" but rather "I believe this is what must be done to make the Earth Kingdom great, I must be the one to do it, and I'll stop anyone who gets in the way of our goals".

And Kuvira has principles. Wu hit on her. Marrying the Earth King probably would've been the easiest way to absolute power... but she's not that kind of person.

Spoiler:
That being said, whether Bolin has "drunk the Koolaid" is somewhat ambiguous. I mean, yes, he is following her (though it's clear he has his doubts), but it can be said that whether or not to support Kuvira is... ambiguous. What's being said about her in many respects, is true. She is heavy-handed, and it's now clear that she's absolutely power hungry (downgrading his suite. Best power move ever). But in many respects she is doing a ton of good for the Earth Kingdom, and it's clear that putting Wu on the throne (in his current state) is likely not the best move for the Earth Kingdom... only one that would, at best, keep status quo.

It's probably going to become painfully obvious that Kuvira's heavy-handedness is something that can't be allowed. But there are some good things to her... and there lies murky waters.

Regarding Wu.. I didn't quite expect Kuvira to overthrow him so overtly at his own coronation. I expected a more subtle move. (side note: Kind of sad we didn't see more of the Firelord than just her background appearance).

I am pretty happy though that Wu has seen the light; that he's a glamor-hog and would be a sucky ruler. I'm wondering how this will go however. Will Wu just accept this reality? Will he try and change to be better? If so, will he try and be an alternative to Kuvira? I'm not so sure of the implications if he did. But Mako is probably the best person to knock some sense of responsibility into him.

I think Bolin is a good character. He shares some similarities to Sokka... but I think that his overarching quality is optimism and trustfulness (and enthusiasm). It makes him seem childlike at times, but it makes him an extremely admirable person.

Toph has been pretty awesome. She's still her same old (TLA) self, but even moreso. She knows she's an old lady that can do what she pleases. Her comments were pretty classic (the one about being able to "see the whole world" is pretty interesting though. I wonder if that has implications. Because if so she knows what is and has been going on (even the whole destroy-the-world Avatar battle at Harmonic Convergence).

The whole deal with the poison is pretty interesting. It will probably be the defining characteristic of this season. A physical metaphor for a psychological battle with very real consequences.

As for Jinora's astral projection... shush. Having them track her is more interesting. Or maybe Korra's spirit is in a bad place right now. Anyways, I do hope she has a prominent place this season. I like her as a character and, as mentioned, she's saved Korra/Avatar Spirit both times the past two seasons... although I feel for this one Korra is going to have to do this herself. Still... not much mentioned in the past 3 episodes.

But this season is going well.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”