Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Re: Depressing Films

Postby Skateside » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

The most depressing thing I've ever watched
Sibelius' Valse Triste
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

I dunno if any of you have seen the video for "Christmas Shoes", but I cry a little on the inside every time I see it.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Note to self:
  • Stroke cat
  • Buy mum some shoes
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:24 am UTC

I just watched Requiem for a Dream. That is the most depressing film I have ever seen. Now I know why everybody goes for those happy endings where everything works out nice. And I'm still crying over the end.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:17 am UTC

An Affair to Remember always makes me cry at several points even if it is a completely charming movie.

i have a knack for finding hideously depressing movies but i can never remember them all
Last edited by parkaboy on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

ColonelPanic001

Postby ColonelPanic001 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

I found Snow Falling On Cedars to be both an incredible movie, and also a fairly depressing one as well.

Repiv

Postby Repiv » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:00 am UTC

To everyone mentioning Requiem For a Dream, what was sad about it? The only time I watched it, I was actually rolling on the floor laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of it. It was like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Reefer Madness. I never made it through Grave of the Fireflies, not because it was sad, but because it bored the hell out of me. Sling Blade, now that was heartbreaking.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:52 am UTC

Oh dear, now that I think on it it defintiely is ridiculous. No-one ever gets addicted to drugs! And no harm ever comes to anyone who abuses drugs to the point of addiction. Hahaha, how could we have been so stupid?

I am not sure if you're just being a troll or are actually serious.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:49 am UTC

Oh, and I saw 21 grams a few weeks ago when it was on TV. that was fairly depressing, also they way it was done, it made everything seem inevitable. I liked the way they kept showing you more about the scenes. Reminds me of Catch 22.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Repiv

Postby Repiv » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Oh dear, now that I think on it it defintiely is ridiculous. No-one ever gets addicted to drugs! And no harm ever comes to anyone who abuses drugs to the point of addiction. Hahaha, how could we have been so stupid?

I am not sure if you're just being a troll or are actually serious.

I posted in two threads about this, but I'll respond to this comment because it's so stupid. It was the corniest, most hamfisted attempt at a cautionary tale I've ever heard.

I've known a lot of drug users and a lot of drug addicts, and this movie was clearly written by someone whose only experience with drugs comes from 6th grade after school specials. The only people who could regard this film seriously are people who have never so much as had a single friend who smokes pot.

Four people use drugs. One uses diet pills... and goes insane from them? Three others use heroin... one amputates his own arm, one ends up in a stereotypical southern cracker 1930's chain gain, and one ends up doing double-dildo shows for smack. I was honestly suprised they didn't show someone getting struck by a meteroite after shooting up. Oh, and one of the dangers of buying drugs? While you're buying them, the dealer just pulls out a machine gun and STARTS SHOOTING INTO THE CROWD OF CUSTOMERS FOR NO FUCKING REASON.

It was just so laughably bad I honestly can't believe anyone ever regards it as a serious film. I'm not sure they even intended it that way. That rapid-fire montage at the end of double-dildo/straighjacket/severed arm/chain gang catastrophe made me laugh harder than anything else I had seen all year. It was just so fucking bizarre.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

I recommend you do some research into Hubert Selby Jr. and then come back with a more informed opinion. I wager it would be held in higher regard.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:04 am UTC

Repiv wrote:One uses diet pills... and goes insane from them?

Those were amphetamines.

Repiv wrote:one amputates his own arm

His arm had gotten infected earlier, and after the hospital did not treat him for it, led to gangrene.

Repiv wrote:one ends up in a stereotypical southern cracker 1930's chain gain

That guy at the prison just so happens to be something we call a racist. They exist, whether you like it or not.

Repiv wrote:and one ends up doing double-dildo shows for smack.

Big Tim was the only one in the city with any drugs, and he wasn't selling them. If you had a very bad addiction to your drugs, you'd probably be desparate enough to do a lot of things to get them. And from wikipedia: "In the DVD commentary, Aronofsky implies the "ass-to-ass" scene was based on something he actually witnessed; in the book the particulars of Marion's prostitution are not described."

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:34 am UTC

I loved Requiem and I've seen it probably far too many times, though I never understood why the doctor doesn't treat Jared Leto and THEN throw him in jail. I thought they were medically obligated to treat people first and then lock them up. Especially with an infection that bad.

Other than that, though, really powerful.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:39 am UTC

Unfortunately, not all doctors are the paragons of virtue we would like them to be.

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:45 am UTC

Jesster wrote:Unfortunately, not all doctors are the paragons of virtue we would like them to be.

No they aren't. Sadly, some of the time bad doctors are just as judgemental as anyone else and would think that the criminal/drug addict needs to be taught a lesson instead of being helped and treated for their illness.

The only depressing films that spring straight to mind are Requiem for a Dream, Kids and Mysterious Skin.
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:49 am UTC

Yeah, that makes sense. That about ties it up for me, dunno why I didn't think of that earlier - especially since the doctor that was prescribing Ellen Burstyn's speed was totally unethical. Duh.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:03 am UTC

And as a side note to Repiv, this film never once implies that we are looking at exactly what will happen to you if you take drugs, I don't believe it really works as a warning against them. I think the more important part to the story is watching as every single character's lives fall apart not because of 'TEH EVIL DRUGS' but because of obsession. Obsession with being on the television, or being rich and only finally does the obsession with drugs come into play.

I think the most moving scene in the entire film is the phonecall, where Marion begs him to just come home, because if he's there she knows she can beat her obsession, but she's just not strong enough without him.

Probably not worth the words though, I assume you thought Trainspotting was hilarious as well.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:15 am UTC

loratwopointone wrote:
The only depressing films that spring straight to mind are Requiem for a Dream, Kids and Mysterious Skin.

Ahhhh, I adored Mysterious Skin, not least because of the Slowdive heavy soundtrack that closed with Sigur Rós' Untitled 3...and Levitt was superb in it, too.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:22 am UTC

Jesster wrote:And as a side note to Repiv, this film never once implies that we are looking at exactly what will happen to you if you take drugs, I don't believe it really works as a warning against them. I think the more important part to the story is watching as every single character's lives fall apart not because of 'TEH EVIL DRUGS' but because of obsession. Obsession with being on the television, or being rich and only finally does the obsession with drugs come into play.

Actually, I felt it worked the opposite way: half of that film is an indictment of television and dieting (and the common thread of image) as being just another form of drugs.

The whole movie is basically the most powerful anti-drug ad ever filmed. The "climactic" (pun intended) montage is absolutely fucking brilliant, inverting sex and the good feelings of drugs to be horrific and painful.

The story of that movie is depressing as hell (it goes from bad to worse--there isn't really even a "good"), especially Ellen's scene where she bares her soul to her son; but at the same time I find its visual inventiveness exhilarating. Which is probably the reason I've seen it so many times.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:58 am UTC

Interesting. I always saw the drugs as just a way to delve into the human psyche.

Different personalities project different things I guess.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Probably not worth the words though, I assume you thought Trainspotting was hilarious as well.

I watched ages ago, but some of it was funny (like shooting the dog up the arse). The book is good too, I got it a few months ago, so I really need to read it again.

UPDATEAGE: 'tis awesome!
Last edited by no-genius on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

HedgehogsAreFunneh

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:57 am UTC

I thought Edward Scissorhands was a little depressing, even though the ending was good. And 'The Swing Kids', which I just watched recently in school. (At the very end, half of the kids in my class were laughing. I was just like "WHY IS THIS FUNNY??!?!?!") Argh.
Spoiler:
I was trying not cry when he opened the box with the ashes and the wedding ring. Just.. wow.

Edit:: THE DEAD POETS' SOCIETY. Oh me yarm.
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Perhaps not depressing in the sense that a lot of the movies here were, but The Battle of Algiers made me fucking sad.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God wasn't so much a smile-fest, either.
Hi, love!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

HedgehogsAreFunneh wrote:
Spoiler:
I was trying not laugh when he opened the box with the ashes and the wedding ring. Just.. wow.

I know I am a terrible person, but all I could think of was:

"Hey guys! We gots a presen... OH MY GODAHHHGGGGG"

Kyden

Postby Kyden » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:42 am UTC

"Nobody knows" is the most depressing film I have ever seen in my entire life.

A lot of Korean films are depressing as well, though.
"Sad Movie", "The Unforgiven", "The Scarlet Letter", "...Ing", " etcetc.

"Grave of the Fireflies" is really, really depressing too. I was a wreck after that movie.
that's a nice boat.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:35 am UTC

One that really hit me deep was "House of Sand and Fog," especially because of where I was at at that time myself. I was a wreck for a while after that one.

Requiem, of course. Kids. Babel killed me. Also I remember being really sad at the end of Jules and Jim, though I can't seem to recall what happened after "the car thing". Eh, there's a bunch of others. One more, which I saw recently is The Return. That one was really devastating.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Just watched Umberto D. Very depressing. Great film.
Hi, love!

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:35 am UTC

THE FOX AND THE HOUND. That movie messed me up as a kid.

laranzu

Postby laranzu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:07 am UTC

The Descent

One of three (?) movies made in the past couple of years about small groups going underground into caves where something horrible is lurking.

The Descent is unusual in the group being all women and much more of a character study than an action flick. My friend and I had two different interpretations about how it ends, and they're both depressing.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:41 am UTC

K-PAX. Wonderful film but very depressing.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

droptone

Postby droptone » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

rxninja wrote:Certain parts of The Last Samurai.

We share a special bond, good sir. I cannot really explain why that's the only movie that brought even the slightest amount of tears to my eyes, but it did. Although it seems much worse after hearing Paul Mooney's take on Chappelle's Show.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Pi.

"Mankind is unable to grasp god?! Ignorance is bliss?! ONLY THROUGH LOBOTOMIZING THE INTELLIGENT WILL THEY BE AT PEACE?!?!?"
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Pi gave me the distinct feeling that the director didn't actually know what he was talking about
Spoiler:
What was the guy doing with a phrenology book? Phrenology is pretty much the most psudo science thing ever.
It started with some interesting ideas and had some impressive visuals, but I never got a good feel for what it was about.

I just saw Requiem for a Dream and thought it did better at sticking with the point of veiw of the characters and focused on a smaller range of ideas. I missed part
Spoiler:
between the time they get thrown in jail and the end montage, I think
of it because the dvd had a scratch or something, and didn't find it to be sould crushing, although it was really sad.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 am UTC

laranzu wrote:The Descent

One of three (?) movies made in the past couple of years about small groups going underground into caves where something horrible is lurking.

The Descent is unusual in the group being all women and much more of a character study than an action flick. My friend and I had two different interpretations about how it ends, and they're both depressing.

that move didnt depress me so much as send "wtf" all through my brain. i liked it though. i'm not sure how you can interpret the end... it was pretty clear cut, i thought.

aglet wrote: the fox and the hound

yes. this. i always cry at this.

other movies that left me feeling horrible, empty or crying like a little girl:

Watership Down (the book AND the movie seeing Hazel at the end... guh. )
Crash (wtf and then... nothing. just... o.o)
The Rules of Attraction (the... bathtub part... )
The Notebook - VERY bittersweet.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

theonlyjett

Postby theonlyjett » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:51 am UTC

No one mentioned this one, The Pursuit of Happyness. I seriously went from being depressed and crying to being pissed off at everything. I'll never watch this movie again, ever.
Spoiler:
By the very end when he finally gets the job, I was like "fuck it, I don't even care anymore."

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

theonlyjett wrote:No one mentioned this one, The Pursuit of Happyness. I seriously went from being depressed and crying to being pissed off at everything. I'll never watch this movie again, ever.
Spoiler:
By the very end when he finally gets the job, I was like "fuck it, I don't even care anymore."

It was a decent movie in itself but like, EVERY character other than will smith's was just ANNOYING.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:40 am UTC

I just finished wathing, and I think I have to add Ran. Kurosawa. Samurai. Gorgeous. unbelieveably bleak. (damn, was '85 just an especially awesome year for movies?)

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Slightly OT, but hell yes. Back to the Future can stand alone and make that year awesome.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:30 am UTC

Children of Men certainly ranks as one of the most depressing films I've ever seen. Having had high hopes for it from reading the book in advance, it was upsetting to watch.
Spoiler:
OH DEAR GOD! Everybody dies! Some (e.g. the protagonist and his ex-girlfriend) just had very unfulfilling, tragic, pointless deaths. I know the director wanted to present something more realistic where charging around an internment camp and being shot at will eventually kill you from blood loss, and that this was Britain when the s*** truly hit the fan, but come on, does it have to be that 'empty'?

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:48 am UTC

Going back a few years, movies that always topped my list of all-time Feel Like Shit movies are Less Than Zero, Gallipoli, and The Wall.

I don't know if Less Than Zero would qualify anymore, as I just can't muster up the will to care about characters like that, but I remember it being singularly bleak.

(Obligatory Requiem comment)
I thought it was just too over-the top... Yeah, depressing as hell, but what I really felt when I watched it was "Shit, I know drugs are bad. Do I have to watch all this? Damn."
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”