Underrated and Unknown movies

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Unknown: Freeze Frame

Sean Veil (Lee Evans) is an ultra paranoid murder suspect who takes to filming himself round the clock to provide an alibi, just in case he's ever accused of another crime. Problems arise however when the police do come calling and the one tape that can prove his innocence has mysteriously disappeared.

It was a freaking great suspense thriller, at least as far as I am concerned. PS. He's been living like that for the past 10 years.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

That was a damn, *damn* good movie.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 am UTC

Belial wrote:That was a damn, *damn* good movie.

I think you are the only person I have ever seen who has seen Freeze Frame without my recommendation.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:06 am UTC

I am a person who used to spend hours in blockbuster with friends finding obscure titles on the new release rack and reading the backs of them, then watching them if they sounded interesting enough.

Freeze frame was the result of one such excursion.

They/them

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:32 am UTC

Underrated:

Hollywood Homicide

Aging Homicide Detective slash Real Estate Agent Harrison Ford and his partner Second Generation Homicide Detective slash Yoga Instructor slash amateur play actor Josh Hartnett investigate the murder of an emerging hip hop group. Along the way Ford tries to work a several million dollar real estate deal whilst Hartnett attempts to get people to come see his one-man play. They have to dodge IAD's attempts to pin charges on them while they solve the murder and get their personal lives in order.

The major downfall of this movie was that it took too long to get where it was going. It ran almost 2 hours long when 1:30 would have sufficed. I didn't feel it got slow, but it just didn't all fit together quite right. This is a comedy/action with some great and hilarious chase scenes, and the recurring theme of the two cops cell phones ringing while they put the rest of the action on hold while they resolve whatever problem is going on in their personal life.

All together though I loved the movie and I don't think enough people took the time to watch it.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:43 pm UTC

Underrated/Unknown:

Freeze Frame reminds me of this.

The Final Cut

For all I know, I just managed to completely *escape* the marketing for this movie, and it's actually well known. I don't know, I live in a horrible dark hole.

Point is, *I* had never heard of it, so I assume it's unknown enough.

It stars Robin Williams, in a future where people routinely get brain implants that record all of their experiences throughout their entire lives. When they die, the implants are removed, and filtered through to make a video that sums up their life, for their funeral.

Williams stars as a man who makes these videos for a living, and ends up stumbling on something sinister in one of the tapes. Awesom suspensefulness follows.

They/them

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

For some reason I wasn't a huge fan of Final Cut. I can't recall why.

But hey, anything beats "The Night Listener" for Robin Williams suspense movies.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Underrated/Unknown:

Freeze Frame reminds me of this.

The Final Cut

The Final Cut isn't very well known, because for some reason the public prefers funny Robin Williams to serious/evil Robin Williams, despite the evidence provided by Insomnia, this movie, One Hour Photo, Good Will Hunting...

I remember liking the Final Cut (I own two copies for some reason); it definitely had some interesting ideas, and a cool Williams performance as a very, very withdrawn man.

But I seem to remember that it's missing an act. Same goes for the also-relatively-unknown Adrien Brody film, "The Jacket". The Jacket was missing a third act, if I recall; the Final Cut is missing a second act. (If I'm remembering correctly. It's been a while. Maybe it was missing a third act? One of the two, anyways.)

lowbrass

Postby lowbrass » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:25 am UTC

Referencing the OP, Oldboy was pretty good, if really weird/creepy.

Did anyone see The Host (aka Gwoemul) last year? I have no idea how much hype/press it actually got in the states (apparently it was huge in Korea), as I saw it in an independent theater. It's a great horror/drama/romanitc comedy. With a giant godzilla-like sea monster.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:50 am UTC

About a week ago I watched Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

Really fucked up movie from Japan from 1988. Supposedly it's a metaphor for growing up gay in Japan? That's what the Amazon comments said!

A note about just how fucked up it is:
At one point, he is having sex with his girlfriend, when his penis suddenly turns into a drill. He becomes enraged or horny or something and starts chasing her aroud with it, and she eventually stabs him in the temple a few times with a knife. He falls unconsious. Stabbing him with the knife, however, apparently turned her on so bad that she just had to, well, use the drill penis. So she starts going at it, the drill starts spinning, blood goes fucking everywhere, and after she gets off the drill (no pun intended) there's a shot of the drill spinning, flinging detached vagina bits everywhere.

It's not really there for shock value though. It was really good. You should watch it, if you have the stomach for stuff like that, and the idea of a fucked up low-budget cyberpunk movie from 1988 sounds cool to you.

EDIT: Actually, this movie is a lot less unknown than you'd think it would be if you watched it. It's kind of a fluke that so many people have heard about it.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

lowbrass wrote:Did anyone see The Host (aka Gwoemul) last year? I have no idea how much hype/press it actually got in the states (apparently it was huge in Korea), as I saw it in an independent theater. It's a great horror/drama/romanitc comedy. With a giant godzilla-like sea monster.

Big push in Canada :) Kicked ass! Ads were misleading, but awesome nonetheless.

dumbclown

Postby dumbclown » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

arachnophilia wrote:
bbctol wrote:
Jauss wrote:I haven't seen 2001: A Space Odyssey yet.

GO NOW RENT SEE NOW WATCH GO

IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. (experiences may vary, lsd not included.)

It is the most horrible, boring movie I have ever seen. Being smashed on some acid would make it watchable but then watching water boil is exciting when you are smashed up on acid.

My contributions Outside Providence, Drog Dead Gorgeous and Bad Eggs

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

dumbclown wrote:
arachnophilia wrote:
bbctol wrote:
Jauss wrote:I haven't seen 2001: A Space Odyssey yet.

GO NOW RENT SEE NOW WATCH GO

IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. (experiences may vary, lsd not included.)

It is the most horrible, boring movie I have ever seen. Being smashed on some acid would make it watchable but then watching water boil is exciting when you are smashed up on acid.

My contributions Outside Providence, Drog Dead Gorgeous and Bad Eggs

i don't know about the movie but the book exudes awesome.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:08 am UTC

My mom and I rewatch Drop Dead Gorgeous every single time she has a friend over who hasnt seen it. Thats how much she loves it. I like it a lot too.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Oh, adding "The Big Hit".

It's a Mark Whalberg movie, and on the outside, it appears to be a lame action movie, but it's actually an AWESOME action movie, it's hi-LARIOUS, it's got awesome music, and it's just... it's just awesome. It's sort of the "Fifth Element" of contemporary crime-comedy-action movies. It's just so ridiculously over-the-top you can't help but love it.

Awesome clips from said movie.

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

Coffee and Cigarettes

Short vignettes, including Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Steve Buscemi, Billy Murray, etc.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

TiberiusM wrote:Coffee and Cigarettes

Short vignettes, including Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Steve Buscemi, Billy Murray, etc.

I love that movie, with Bill Murray serving coffee to The RZA and The GZA (GZA: God damn, Bill Groundhog-Day, Ghostbustin'-ass Murray!) , and Meg White saying "And without Nikolai Tesla, we'd never have the rock band Tesla." Boy, she's pretty.

EDIT: Actual conversation:

Jack: Well, Nikola Tesla invented fluorescent light. Without him we wouldn't have alternating current, radio, television... x-ray technology... induction motors, particle beams, lasers; none of that would even exist if it weren't for him.
Meg: [sarcastically] Hmm, or the rock band Tesla.
Jack: [visibly dispirited] Fine.

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

The tension between Iggy Pop and Waits is great.

Tom: Well... we could go to Taco Bell if that's more your style.
Iggy: You callin' me a Taco Bell kind of guy?

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

I know the brother of the director.
...the whim of a hat.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

The best one's the one with Alfred Molina. "You know Spike Lee?" "Oh, no." *relief* "Spike Jonze." *dammit*

---

Two more to add here.

1. The Ice Harvest, a very nifty John Cusak comedy/thriller. Great writing, great acting.

2. The Nun. No, hear me out. This is a horror (or thriller) film from Argentina that nobody's ever seen. The acting is in and out, and the CGI isn't of the highest caliber; but the pacing is terriffic, the cinematography is absolutely top-notch, and the writing is excellent.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

Funny Money -Chevy Chase?

arachnophilia

Postby arachnophilia » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:40 am UTC

Malice wrote:One Hour Photo

also a great movie. imho, mark romanek = stanley kubrick's replacement.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:06 am UTC

arachnophilia wrote:stanley kubrick's replacement.

Blasphemy.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
arachnophilia wrote:stanley kubrick's replacement.

Blasphemy.

there is only one god and his name is randall munroe
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:24 am UTC

Malice wrote:1. The Ice Harvest, a very nifty John Cusak comedy/thriller. Great writing, great acting.

I enjoyed this movie a lot.

2. The Nun. No, hear me out. This is a horror (or thriller) film from Argentina that nobody's ever seen. The acting is in and out, and the CGI isn't of the highest caliber; but the pacing is terriffic, the cinematography is absolutely top-notch, and the writing is excellent.

Wait. Wait wait wait.

Was this the one with all the water? And the evil nun?

They/them

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:43 am UTC

Yes. Have you seen it?

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:29 pm UTC

Yes. I....was not impressed, honestly. Among other things, the ending totally ruined it.

They/them

Traisenau

Postby Traisenau » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

Alice- it's a sweedish film which tells a slightly updated form of Alice in Wonderland.
<Will> Drew is the only woman for me

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

lowbrass wrote:Did anyone see The Host (aka Gwoemul) last year? I have no idea how much hype/press it actually got in the states (apparently it was huge in Korea), as I saw it in an independent theater. It's a great horror/drama/romanitc comedy. With a giant godzilla-like sea monster.
YES
Easily the most enjoyable movie listed here.
End.

Imagine Godzilla mixed with Little Miss Sunshine.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:48 am UTC

Belial wrote:Yes. I....was not impressed, honestly. Among other things, the ending totally ruined it.

Eh. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it had some points of merit. (One such--the Twilight Zone referencing scene was excellent.)

petra

Postby petra » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:15 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Ah, new addition:

But I'm A Cheerleader!

One of my (many) favorites.

The mention of Alice reminded me of a czech director, Svankmajer's version - although I'd rather point out a short: Darkness, Light, Darkness.
Another czech film: Daisies.
Sex and Lucia. Hysterical Blindness. Lonesome Jim.
Anyone that can find the merits of Existenz, can see to the top of my list.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:02 am UTC

Existenz was awesome. Also, was Lonesome Jim good? Everyone I asked about it who I found out watched it thought it was crap, if I recall right.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:03 am UTC

But I'm A Cheerleader!

I was sort of disappointed at the ending. The opposite would have been so much more interesting and complex a message.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

petra

Postby petra » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Victorkm wrote:Existenz was awesome. Also, was Lonesome Jim good? Everyone I asked about it who I found out watched it thought it was crap, if I recall right.

I certainly enjoyed it. Could have been my place in life at the time...

Since someone said I must see The Machinist and a subsequent irksome waste of two hours... I try to hold back on reviews. Erm, even though that could be construed as one. It's all subjective, no?

RockMuncher

Postby RockMuncher » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:37 am UTC

But I'm A Cheerleader!

I went to one of the US premiers of that, in Castro (San Francisco). Most of the actors were there too. It was hilarious.

Hmm... underrated or unknown:

A large number of Canadian films are unknown outside of Canada, a couple of my favorites are Wilby Wonderful and Bon Cop, Bad Cop.

Wilby Wonderful is about an island town getting ready for a festival at the same time as a 'shocking' news story is about to be unveiled. Stars many very, very good actors, and is a great movie if you like character pieces and understated comedy.

Bon Cop, Bad Cop is "a 2006 Canadian comedy-thriller buddy cop film about English Canadian and French Canadian police officers who reluctantly join forces" to quote Wikipedia. Its pokes fun at Canadian stereotypes. I'm not sure how entertaining it would be to people outside of Canada.

The World's Fastest Indian is one of my favorite films that few people outside of New Zealand and Australia have seen.

"The World's Fastest Indian (2005), is a film based on the legendary speed bike racer from New Zealand named Burt Munro. Munro set numerous land speed records for motorcycles with engines less than 1000cc at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in the late 1950s and into the 1960s. Many of his records still stand to this day." - Wikipedia

Its a great understated comedy and character piece about a quintessential kiwi, and how he goes about fulfilling his dream. Stars Anthony Hopkins, of all people.

One last one... although I'm not sure this counts.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, starring Forest Whitaker. It's just plain full of awesome. I don't know what the reception was in the United States, but it's always been one of my favorites.

CelticxConnections

Postby CelticxConnections » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:41 am UTC

As I said in the Bad Movies Thread Pirates of Penzance.

Its a great rendition of the opera. Kevin Kline is brillant as the Pirate King, the other actors are good too but Kline steals the show. Rex Smith is not a very good tenor but boy he is a great Fredric.

I think the movie is perfect but since it's an opera most people would not like it or be pigheaded and say opera is stupid.

Another movie I love is Willow. I don't see why its not popular.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:06 am UTC

Johnthemage wrote:Alice- it's a sweedish film which tells a slightly updated form of Alice in Wonderland.

another not-so-known version of Alice in Wonderland is also just called "Alice" although, to distinguish is referenced by "Jan Svankmajer's Alice" (OOoorrr the original Neco z Alenky) Russian stop animation. BAD ASS CREEPY. the white rabbit is a taxiderm(ed?) rabbit that has to stop now and then to SEW HIMSELF BACK UP. *shiver*

here's an imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/ <- not incredibly helpful

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:42 am UTC

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, starring Forest Whitaker. It's just plain full of awesome. I don't know what the reception was in the United States, but it's always been one of my favorites.

Thank you for reminding me this exists. I have some people I need to show it to.

They/them

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:05 am UTC

apocralypse wrote:
Johnthemage wrote:Alice- it's a sweedish film which tells a slightly updated form of Alice in Wonderland.

another not-so-known version of Alice in Wonderland is also just called "Alice" although, to distinguish is referenced by "Jan Svankmajer's Alice" (OOoorrr the original Neco z Alenky) Russian stop animation. BAD ASS CREEPY. the white rabbit is a taxiderm(ed?) rabbit that has to stop now and then to SEW HIMSELF BACK UP. *shiver*

here's an imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095715/ <- not incredibly helpful

That is a fantastically weird film. Didn't he also do a version of Faust that was pretty darn crazy?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”