Total votes: 125

PhantomReality

Favorite Pink Floyd Album

Postby PhantomReality » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:20 am UTC

I can't decide but I think Dark Side
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

carr

Postby carr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:22 am UTC

My vote is cast but I shall remain anonymous.

I still remember the first time I heard Pink Floyd. I must've been five or six, riding in my uncle's corvette.

fryman

Postby fryman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:23 am UTC

I'm tied between DSotM and The Wall. The Wall is better for driving, but Dark Side was a very important PF album... Hm. I give up. Both.
Open source sigs? Here, use mine!

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:30 am UTC

Wish You Were Here. It's one of the few albums I can zone out to and still actually get into the music. For Dark Side I space out and then I come back and I realize that I missed "Time" already (though, I somehow always come back for Brain Damage/Eclipse)

But Wish You Were Here is such an emotional album for me, it's one of those albums that I've always wanted to just drive late at night listening to. If Floyd had put Shine on you Crazy Diamond how they would have liked originally (both parts together, they couldn't 'cause it was too long of a song to fit on one side of a record), I think that SOYCD would be my favorite song instead of me having to debate between Wish You Were Here and Echoes (Also, Wots... Uh The Deal is an incredible song).
Also, Welcome to the Machine and Wish You Were Here were the first songs I committed to memory.

For me, The Wall has too many "filler" songs (Don't Leave Me Now... UGH). Plus, they took out "When The Tigers Broke Free" which is an absolutely amazing song. I do, however, love it for its theme and some of the songs individually (Goodbye Blue Sky, Comfortably Numb, Brick in the Wall pt. 3 (pt. 2 is my least favorite), Hey You, etc.). While they have those songs, I'd still put it below Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Dark Side of the Moon, which are my next two favorite albums after Wish You Were Here.

On a side note, I really love Atom Heart Mother as well, and I've always wanted to actually have breakfast along with "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast."

Uhm, I have more to say, but I can't think of everything right now (I'd diagnose song by song, but that's a bit much).

Cai

Postby Cai » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:05 am UTC

Mine would be A Saucerful of Secrets, which is followed closely by Wish You Were Here. Actually, I'd say they are tied. And then Pipers would be second/third.

arachnophilia

Postby arachnophilia » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:01 am UTC

ok, the wall is epic, but i have to go with dark side.

it just sounds amazing, and it's a wonderfully tight little album. and the chicks dig it.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:32 am UTC

Damn it, I can't vote in this. They're all so... perfect.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:20 am UTC

I went with "other" for Meddle. Echoes is probably my single favorite Floyd song, and even though lots of people seem to have issues with San Tropez and Seamus, I think the overall effect works out. It's Floyd doing lots of different styles and doing them well.

Admittedly, I like just about all of their albums, so picking a favorite isn't easy.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:19 am UTC

ummagumma, just for the song title Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.

I had forgotten about Meddle and Saucerful of Secrets - I'm not even sure if I've heard that one. I'm somewhat partial to piper.
Can't stand Dark Side, just because I bought it (for $1) in 1974 and overplayed it, so it irritates scar tissue in my brain when i hear it.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

I voted for Dark Side, but it ties pretty damn closely with The Wall. Of course, those are the only two albums I have, so I'm a bit biased. I do like the songs "Wish You Were Here" and "Welcome to the Machine."
PRG

An important message for you:

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn for me.

Actually, I'd choose Dub Side Of The Moon if I could but that doesn't count.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:35 am UTC

Does anyone else like "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"? I feel like I'm the only one. I can't call it my favorite or anything because it's Floyd and too many of them are perfection incarnate, but it's damned good.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:33 am UTC

xooll wrote:Does anyone else like "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"? I feel like I'm the only one. I can't call it my favorite or anything because it's Floyd and too many of them are perfection incarnate, but it's damned good.

I really enjoy the song "Learning to Fly" and a few other songs on that album. I definitely wouldn't say that it's my least favorite album, there're a few other things Floyd did that really didn't impress me.

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 am UTC

Phi wrote:
xooll wrote:Does anyone else like "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"? I feel like I'm the only one. I can't call it my favorite or anything because it's Floyd and too many of them are perfection incarnate, but it's damned good.

I really enjoy the song "Learning to Fly" and a few other songs on that album. I definitely wouldn't say that it's my least favorite album, there're a few other things Floyd did that really didn't impress me.

"Learning to Fly" is one of the best, yeah. Also "On the Turning Away".

pulltheotherone

Postby pulltheotherone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:44 pm UTC

Definitely "Wish You Were Here", although "Dark Side" is a close second.

Also, does noone like "Animals"?

As for favourite sync-up, I would have to vote for the last 26 minutes of "2001: A Space Oddessey" and "Echoes". It's quite beautiful and I think quite a lot better than the classic "Wizard of Oz/Dark Dide" sync.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

pulltheotherone wrote:Also, does noone like "Animals"?

I love Animals, it's just not my favorite. I was quite surprised when I saw this poll, since there were so few choices. Last time I checked Floyd had >10 albums worth of stuff, not counting live stuff, rereleases, etc. Momentary Lapse as well, On the Turning Away and Sorrow are great songs.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

animals/wish you were here are my fav floyd albums. i often find that dark side and the wall are way too repetitive for me for some reason. i get bored.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Cai

Postby Cai » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

Anyone who's a fan of Animals, Les Claypool (of Primus) and his froggy band have an awesome cover album of it here.

SlithVampir

Postby SlithVampir » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

Gotta go with The Wall. But then again, I don't smoke pot.

Droooo

Postby Droooo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

Dark Side Of The Moon probably but it was a tough choice. Depends what sort of mood I'm in

gmedina

Postby gmedina » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

I think I voted in the wrong section. Anyhow, my choices are Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Animals.

pseudoMuso

Postby pseudoMuso » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:40 am UTC

ive gone with the popular here too

Dark Side of the Moon is just a brilliant, perfect, album.
Brain Damage teamed up with Eclipse is like getting two tortoises and strapping them to each other's backs. Unstoppable.

For me those two songs are just so...me.
And in Brain Damage, in the end chorus, then they do that final bit and say "dark side of the moon"

And if the band your in, starts playing different tunes -
(crescendoz0r'd)
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON!

perfect beauty.
Don't move.
Galaxies and outreaching Universe included.
What would you do then, huh? What would you do without your precious momentum? You would be justified.

djseptic

Postby djseptic » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

Gotta go with Wish You Were Here. Dark Side... was important and groundbreaking and made Floyd superstars, but I just like Wish... better. Perhaps it's the anchor of Shine On You Crazy Diamond that does it. Favorite Floyd song, by the way.

Also, in reference to what Phi said, in case you don't know, on the Echoes greatest hits record there's an uninterrupted version of Shine On... that's like 13 minutes or so long. I think it works so much better that way then the album version. But like you said, that's how they intended it to be originally.
Ladies and Gentlemen... My Blog!

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

Wish You Were Here.

Easily my favourite floyd album. Plus the artwork is amazing.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

djseptic wrote:Also, in reference to what Phi said, in case you don't know, on the Echoes greatest hits record there's an uninterrupted version of Shine On... that's like 13 minutes or so long. I think it works so much better that way then the album version. But like you said, that's how they intended it to be originally.

Unfortunately, it's only parts I-VII, and it skips VIII and IX. I know it's not a huge deal, but when I rushed out to buy the compilation expecting to get that, I was a sad panda when I realized it wasn't the entire song.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Re:

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:animals/wish you were here are my fav floyd albums. i often find that dark side and the wall are way too repetitive for me for some reason. i get bored.

sorry to bump this 2 year old thread, but i got into an argument about this with a friend a few nights ago. can someone seriously explain to me what is so great about dark side of the moon?

i understand it's "depth" and "concept" but i find it boring musically and lyrically. it seems like floyd was just going "oh god look how high i am right now" throughout almost the entire record. too slow in my opinion.

ARGUE HERE.

Dream
WINNING

Re: Favorite Pink Floyd Album

Postby Dream » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:36 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:what is so great about dark side of the moon?

Nothing, really. People just like it because it's by the same people who made Meddle. Or at least that's what I'd like reality to be...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:41 am UTC

i wish more "classic rock" albums were pet sounds or odessey and oracle.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:50 am UTC

This is actually pretty difficult for me. and it reminded me of Pink Floyd, who I love, but still don't really listen to a lot.
I must say I love the early stuff, a lot. Just that psychedelic sound. See Emily play is a song I really enjoy, and Bike. . .
I'll vote Dark Side for now, but I think I'll give them a listen again tonight. One thing that has always bugs me about Pink Floyd is that they really take their time. I'm more accustomed to more punctual, tightly constructed 60sish musics, like the Beatles (incidentally, my least favorite Beatles song is She's So Heavy), and if you are going to take your time, at least have it be hardcore loud extemporaneous awesomeness like the VU. I just fall asleep after three minutes of heavy breathing and clocks, you know? And I generally get bored with instrumentals.

Ninja'd. Pets Sounds is one of my favorite albums, and critics generally rate it very highly (like in the top five), even if the general public doesn't.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Bike is amazing.
DSotM is good but over-rated.
My favorite album is definitely Meddle, followed by Wish You Were Here, then Saucerful then Piper.

I don't like any albums after Animals.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:28 am UTC

I've only listened to Dsotm, The Wall, WYWH and TPATGOD, not counting the Pompeii concert which is awesome.

I think the only good song in Wish you Were Here is Shine on you Crazy Diamond, but I think it's more than half the album, so that's okay. I despise The Wall almost completely. DsotM is very very good, it has moments of intense beauty, but also some just-okayish songs (Time and Money, to be precise). The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is also very good.

So Dark Side.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:47 am UTC

The way I see it, The Wall is the musical version of Slaughterhouse 5. "Holy Shit was World War II completely fucked! And it fucked me up forever! Holy shit!" only in music instead of "So it goes" and Tralfamadorians.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:20 am UTC

I love everything from Piper to Animals. It gets a little fuzzy from there. I'm not a big fan of The Wall, I like The Final Cut, and the two remaining PF are ok.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:06 am UTC

I don't listen to much Pink Floyd anymore, but I'm fairly certain that Wish You Were Here is the answer I'm looking for. Mostly because of Shine On, of course. Quite easily their best work, in my opinion.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

I've only listened to The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, and Meddle. Meddle's pretty good. I don't understand the fuss over Wall and Dark Side, they're extremely blah. Pink Floyd is pretty good sleeping music, which means I have to change the station any time they come on the car radio.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

London '66-'67. It's a live recording of Interstellar Overdrive and Nick's Boogie, totaling about 30 minutes.

Aethernox wrote:Wish You Were Here is the answer I'm looking for. Mostly because of Shine On, of course. Quite easily their best work, in my opinion.

And that's my second choice.

Turambar

Postby Turambar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

I'm really entirely unable to choose. I have a deep affection for all of them, but I think I like The Final Cut a lot more than most people. Not my favorite, but one I very much like.

As for why DSOTM's awesome, it's partly because their use of synthesizers on that album (for helicopter noises and whatnot) was pretty revolutionary at the time, and of course the album art was an instant classic, but I personally love it because of the lyrics.

Us And Them wrote:Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died.
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who.
Up and down.
But in the end its only round and round.
Havent you heard its a battle of words
The poster bearer cried.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
Theres room for you inside.

Time wrote:Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Last edited by Turambar on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
--Richard Feynman

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

Voted other. Animals first, followed closely by Piper At The Gates of Dawn.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

that is all
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The way I see it, The Wall is the musical version of Slaughterhouse 5. "Holy Shit was World War II completely fucked! And it fucked me up forever! Holy shit!" only in music instead of "So it goes" and Tralfamadorians.

And poo-tee-weet

I voted for Dark Side, because it had more songs that I liked, but Wish You Were Here is probably my favorite Floyd song (btw, is it possible to fix the spelling on that)
I also really liked their more mellow stuff in Obscured by Clouds...e.g., Childhood's End and Wot's...uh the Deal
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Return to “Music”