The Wall
19%
Other
15%

Total votes: 125

SirMustapha

Re: Favorite Pink Floyd Album

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

There's no way I can elect any album other than Dark Side of the Moon -- the effect that album causes on me is unbelievable. Also, for a very long time, I considered it my favourite album ever (right now, that honour belongs to Amarok, by Mike Oldfield).

After that, Meddle and Wish You Were Here are pretty much tied. Animals and Piper at the Gates of Dawn follow closely. The Wall is awesome when I'm in the mood for it. A Momentary Lapse of Reason has some good tracks and some horrendous tracks (Dogs of War? Seriously?).

Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Watcher Of The Skies » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:59 am UTC

Can't choose between DSotM and Animals. I guess it would have to be DSotM if I had to pick, but do I really have to pick? They're all so good.

Yaal

Postby Yaal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

Meddle has it's Echoes and Wish You Were Here has Shine On, but as a full album, Moon is near perfect.
Unlike others, it has pretty much nothing to complain about, it has no 'filler' tracks... and the lyrics. Holy fuck.
Especially Breathe's lyrics are absurdly beautiful.

Wish You Were Here is a close second, Animals is kind of boring.
The Wall hasn't ever been my favourites. There are some songs I really like but it feels like a dull soundtrack for the movie (which it probably was supposed to be). After Wall there isn't really much worth listening. Final Cut feels like a compilation of songs that got cut from the Wall and Gilmour isn't really as good as I would like to wish...

I didn't polish this post completely, it's basically just my thoughts written up, but I'm really tired. I'll leave this post as it is.
I might edit this later.
Falling in love hurts so fucking much

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 am UTC

Eh maybe I like Wish more because Dark Side is aaaaaaaalways on everyone's Top Albums List. It's an incredibly cohesive album, and it's not an undeserved position on those lists. But even so, as far as singles go, I'm with without thirty seconds of clocks and silly jams before it actually gets to the song in "Time", but maybe that's crazy.

Plus "Wish You Were Here" is their best song.
uhhhh fuck.

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

I know it's too obvious, but Dark Side of the Moon has my favorite overall music from Pink Floyd. There's still plenty raw Syd-era psychedelia left over (it wasn't there as much by the time The Wall rolled around), with some of the virtuosity from Gilmour and Wright starting to take a bigger hold. "Time" is classic. I also love everything from "Us and Them" to the end of the album. Gives me chills.

As far as other albums... Animals is a great album, but a bit thin in some places. Meddle is amazing, I'm especially fond of "One of These Days". The early stuff is in a class of it's own, really...

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:30 am UTC

I'll do a chronological review of Floyd here (ignoring the soundtrack and live albums for now)
  • Piper is great for tripping balls. Psychedelic rock at its finest
  • A Saucerful of secrets marks Pink Floyd's transition into their experimental era. Called their "dork age" on TV Tropes.
  • UmmagummaWTF is going on here? I don't get it.
  • Atom Heart Mother is kind of the experiment they needed to get some of their later sounds (such as recording with an orchestra and 23 minute songs). I think that if they would have re-recorded it once they had their "progressive" sound, it would have made a really good album.
  • Meedle is their transition back into a more accessible sound. Echoes and "One of These Days" are found here
  • I really love the thematic unity of DSotM, so I have to say that it is my favourite album as a whole
  • Currently, Wish You Were Here is my second favourite. Either this or Anmials. My favourite song is on here: "Shine on You Crazy Diamond". I really love the orchestration and how a 26-minute jam can bookend an album and still be coherent throughout the whole thing. I wish I had better ear training so I could transcribe and arrange the opening parts.
  • As much as people who don't thing DSotM or WYWH think The Wall should be their best work, I've never been able to "get" it. It really is more of a soundtrack album without all the jams I'm used to. OK, it does have plenty of good points, but I prefer their more progressive and jamming nature instead of soundtrack.
  • As its name implies The Final Cut was named because these tracks were from the cutting room floor of The Wall. I like this album, but it really should be a Roger Waters solo album.
  • The Gilmour era has a really spacey sound to it. I like it, but it really isn't the "Pink Floyd sound" we all know and love. Apparently they had some recordings during the ear for ambient music called "The Big Spliff". I wonder if those tapes will get leaked anytime soon.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 am UTC

You seem awfully concerned with "getting" the music. I don't think there's anything to get. If you like it, you like it.
uhhhh fuck.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:51 am UTC

I guess that's what hanging out with people who strongly think my rather critical assessment of The Wall is because I didn't "get" it does to you.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

I'd rank their albums:

1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
3. Obscured by Clouds
4. Meddle
5. Wish You Were Here
6. More
7. The Wall
8. A Saucerful of Secrets
9. Atom Heart Mother
10. Animals
11. Ummagumma
12. The Division Bell
13. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
14. The Final Cut

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

Ummagumma, The Division Bell and Atom Heart Mother. <3
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

rattusprat

Postby rattusprat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Had to put in a vote for Dark Side - it is the greatest album ever made afterall.

Closely followed by The Wall and a little bit further back to Animals, with Echoes as their best song - though one song (or two with One Of These Days) does not a favourite album make.

I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused by the voting options, as "Early stuff with Syd" is really only one and a half albums, and not sure if A Saucerful of Secrets would count as this or "other" as the best song on the album (A Saucerful of Secrets) does not feature Syd. Probably not many votes for this album anyway, but still.

Return to “Music”