Recommend one artist

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Benfrenchman

Re: Recommend one artist

Postby Benfrenchman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

I second the Barenaked Ladies. Can't be many people on these forums who won't identify with "Jane". They are just a tremendous band.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

MF DOOM, if you're into hip-hop.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

nsmjohn wrote:I have three:

Sigur Ros - An Icelandic band, made the track in the Prince of Persia gameplay video. Very soothing, can't classify.
Fort Minor - Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park, music is mostly Hip-Hop/Rap but lyrics are usually good.
Puscifer - Maynard's (lead singer of Tool/A Perfect Circle) new side project. Prog/Experimental Rock.

Apocalyptica
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

cooldude76
Location: North Side of Chicago, Illinios, United States, North America, The Western Hemisphere, Earth,

Re:

Postby cooldude76 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Cai wrote:Hell yes I do.

Lightning Bolt is a similar set up, except instead of a guitarist it's a bassist, and he makes his bass sound like hell is screaming. They play awesome 'guerilla shows' which are basically in the middle of the crowd, and because a majority of Lightning Bolt fans are dumb/douchebags, they end up getting hit by the drummer. Good videos of them are hard to find, but here are two that might grab your interest.

Lightning Bolt Live In Tokyo
Lightning Bolt - Dead Cowboy

I heard about Lightning Bolt a while ago but couldn't find them... Thank You! Don't remember how I stumbled upon them, it was several years ago, but they sounded freaking insane. :P

The author of this post apologizes if this was WAY out of context, and if the person he was writing to stopped posting. I started at the front... and there fore I post from it as well.

Now my recommendation:

The Bouncing Souls. Don't know if they still make music, or made very much, but the album I know of/love is "What I Did Over My Summer Vacation" which is excellent. They are honestly the most happy-making music on this earth. Seriously... happy shit. :P

[quote=Apocalyptica[/quote]

That shit is awesome. Though no where near The Bouncing Souls or Lighting Bolt. It's just cellos, and gets singers. Or something like that.. When memory fails, ask someone else to google it for you. So go ahead, take a listen.
"... And How are Things in the Hallway..."
-- A Clockwork Orange.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Smile.dk!
Image Image

It's cheesy, Swedish/Danish, Japanese-themed dance music, but it's good! Especially since they recently released a new album (with one singer replaced) after being inactive for five years, called Party Around the World. And these do apparently sell well in Japan, so they're not totally hopeless weaboos.

I recommend the songs Domo Domo Domo (old) and Doki Doki (new).
Last edited by Vox Imperatoris on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

shieldforyoureyes

Re: Re:

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

cooldude76 wrote:I heard about Lightning Bolt a while ago but couldn't find them... Thank You! Don't remember how I stumbled upon them, it was several years ago, but they sounded freaking insane. :P

That shit is awesome. Though no where near The Bouncing Souls or Lighting Bolt. It's just cellos, and gets singers. Or something like that.. When memory fails, ask someone else to google it for you. So go ahead, take a listen.

I'm going to see Lightning Bolt play tonight. Rah.

The song Apocalyptica did with Nina Hagen is amazing. (Everything Hagen does is amazing, but that collaberation was particularly amazing.)

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

i third bnl. i heart their stuff.

felixalias

Postby felixalias » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

I can't believe no one has recommended Ratatat.

Warpath

Postby Warpath » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Ratatat is good. Haven't listened to them in awhile.

I would recommend the following (apologies in advance if they're already mentioned):

Juno Reactor

Aphex Twin

Carbon Based Lifeforms

Shpongle

And the list goes on and on...

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:36 am UTC

SLIPPERY BOGLE

Warpath

Postby Warpath » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Benfrenchman wrote:SLIPPERY BOGLE

Yes. The Bogle pwns imo. :mrgreen:

To not get overly off topic, I'd also recommend this:

Amon Tobin

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:35 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:
KingLoser wrote:
b.i.o wrote:-God is an Astronaut

Nice! Have seen them live a few dozen times now... seeing as they only live up the road. :D

Every ounce of hate I'm capable of mustering is now being directed squarely at you.

Lucky bastard.

Seein em again this Friday.. If you started swimming now...

I'll have a drink/joint/jig for ya..
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

RECOMMENDING
Nico Muhly. Check out his album "Mothertongue" and listen to the 3 parts of "The Only Tune" in the dark.
*swoon*
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

Give Cake a chance.

They're a band I've come across relatively recently and have been enjoying.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 am UTC

I was prowling around progarchives.com today, and discovered Phideaux. One Youtube video later and I was hooked, and downloaded the whole album (Doomsday Afternoon). Great stuff.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

RC Com

Postby RC Com » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

band: switchfoot
song: stars
link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90B_SRY4Wg
customers WILL rule the world http://www.reviewcentre.com

Metacelsus

Postby Metacelsus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 am UTC

Well BNL has been recommended enough so I'm going to throw Scroobius Pip at you.

Radu

Postby Radu » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 am UTC

The Protomen
An experimental/prog rock band, that does 'rock opera concept albums' based on the fucking MegaMan Mythos. Is that not awesome?
Incredible band, not canonical to the mega man series at all, instead set in a George Orwell's 1984 scenario, where Willy's Robots have taken over the earth. The story revolves around Dr. Light's two creations MegaMan and Protoman

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

I searched the thread, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned of Montreal! It's a great band, in the Elephant 6 collective. Their early stuff (before 2004) was childish pop with random time and chord changes everywhere (check out a few tracks from Coquelicot). Now they're like a completely different band; it's still Elephant 6-y pop, but with a lot more funk influences (check out Hissing Fauna or Skeletal Lamping, released yesterday).

Sponge

Postby Sponge » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 am UTC

First off i would like to thank the forum, I have found many bands I like because of it. So i figure I would give back with some of my current favorites.

Matthew Barber -
Great Canadian indie right here I highly highly highly recomend going and finding ghostnotes. It is easily his best cd.
This is a much more acoustic version of the song, check his other stuff out it is GRrrrEAT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mfGanIQDY&feature=related

Plants and Animals -
Fantastic rock indie, great lyrics. If you ever have any chance to see them live they are substantially greater live. I got a chance to meet them and they are very nice people too!
Go get your hands on their latest CD Parc Avenue it is great! This is the first song off that album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSE6dSz3uLI&feature=related

As a final note I suggest to any people wishing to listen to some good ol'Canadian indie musice head over to radio3.cbc.ca. They have streaming music that is all canadian and usually very good. They have an audio blog that is a good listen as well as a absolutely astounding selection of canadian artists you can search for and listen to all for free!

Fluidly Unsure

Postby Fluidly Unsure » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Flo3:16

Postby Flo3:16 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:33 am UTC

Yeah I don`t know how popular those Guys over, in the US. But I´ll go with recomending "The Briggs". They sound like a mix if the pouges, and the dropkick murphys. I LIKES IT:D
Religion for Dummys: Taoism= Shit Happens, Hindusm= This Shit happend before, Buddhism= If Shit happens, is it really Shit?, Catholicism= If Shit happens I desrve it, Atheism= No Shit.

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

I'd have to put forward a British band named Sikth.

They're extremely technical progressive metal, and remind me alot of Meshuggah. They've split up now, which is unfortunate as they were absolutely amazing live. I had the pleasure of singing (well, more screamy growling to be honest) on stage with them during the end of this song, which was fantastic.

Here are some additional youtubenesses.
SIG 404 - Signature not found

Fluidly Unsure

Postby Fluidly Unsure » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Who cares if it is popular or not? If I like it I'll listen to it and recommend it to others.

The American appeal of Cooloolosh, Gabriel Butler, and Sublminal? Both the chief rapper in Cooloolosh (Rebel Sun) and Gabriel Butler are from America. I think Cooloolosh is on tour in America and has done some work with American RB/soul/funk stars. Subliminal is so ultra conservative and zionistic that he must be a major influence in the nation that the world thinks America is. Is calling someone a zionist too obscene for the rules here?

As far as Briggs and Sikth, the vocals didn't impress me. It's like looking at a low resolutions JPG. So much is stuffed into each lossfully compressed pixel that the details are gone when it is decompressed to be shown/played. The MP3 sounds awful.

On a side note: Will.I.am does the same thing I accuse Briggs of. If it wasn't for the problem with the overwhelming bass, Will.I.am would qualify as one of the best pop musicians of today. However, he does show more restraint when he is working with Sergio Mendes. I haven't caught their latest, but "timeless" is .. uh .. timeless.

HareichiSan

Postby HareichiSan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

I like System of a Down. Especially their song, "Aerials"

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Hub City Stompers
http://www.myspace.com/hubcitystompers
I really recommend the songs I've Got A Boot, Skins Don't Cry, and Mass Appeal but you really can't go wrong with any of their stuff.

rural

Postby rural » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

The Depreciation Guild - Heavy Shoegaze with Hard Synth

http://www.myspace.com/thedepreciationguild

edit: check out Sky Ghosts, in particular. This has been my favorite band ever since I found out about them earlier this year

Xutar

Postby Xutar » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Making me choose between Joe Satriani and Dream Theater= mind asplosion.
I'd recommend Joe Satriani is you like diverse, melodic, and shred filled rock songs.
Dream Theater if you like 10+min. epic songs that will rock your nuts off.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Modest Mouse. Specifically, The Moon and Antartica.
I didn't like it at first because a lot of the songs have an upbeat first part and slow second part, but its perfection.

The Grammar Club.
Some of the most fun I've ever had listening to music, plus "Alternate Ending" is just awesome.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Hellaphunt

Postby Hellaphunt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

I'm on The Twilight Sad kick right now. Walking for Two Hours is playing right now...
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

Bunglewood

Postby Bunglewood » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Chimaira are (IMO) a very talented and interesting metal band. According to wikipedia, they fall under the genre "Groove Metal" but I shall let you decide for yourself. This is their latest single off of their latest album Resurrection. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mzv7O9siFXY

HenryGifford

Postby HenryGifford » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

Sigur Rós.
And I'm doing two.
Explosions in the Sky.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

A pretty cool jazz rock band is The Dao Son For. I guess I can't link to it, but I uploaded a flac torrent on The Pirate Bay.

jackjackjackkk

Postby jackjackjackkk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

I would wholeheartedly recommend for any folk/acoustic fans, Iron & Wine.

They are love.

Try their cover of Such Great Heights, anything from the Woman King EP, Naked As We Came or the Passing Afternoon single.
'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde.'

Hellaphunt

Postby Hellaphunt » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

jackjackjackkk wrote:I would wholeheartedly recommend for any folk/acoustic fans, Iron & Wine.

They are love.

Try their cover of Such Great Heights, anything from the Woman King EP, Naked As We Came or the Passing Afternoon single.

I like that cover. A nice slow pace.
Many of man's greatest achievements were largely inspired by a woman.

jackjackjackkk

Postby jackjackjackkk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

I like the original. But the cover brings more emphasis to the words... despite meandering somewhat. Not a bad quality really.
'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde.'

Hollandb

Postby Hollandb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:03 am UTC

You have to listen to Ben Folds. Great artist.
He plays piano and sings, his lyrics are pretty good.
A good song of his would be the first song on his myspace profile playlist - Brainwashed.
myspace.com/benfolds
(I can't find this song ANYWHERE else but his myspace, it's so weird.)

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:10 am UTC

I get to see Ben Folds on the 13th... woot woot.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

Camoninja

Postby Camoninja » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Some bands that I like. Some of them might have been posted before, I didn't read the whole topic, so I'm not sure.

The Arcade Fire- A nice, mellow, indie band.
Dio- Hailed as the god of rock, Ronnie James Dio is an awesome musician who used to play in Black Sabbath (and still does, under their new name of Heaven and Hell.)
Electrelane- a fun alternative and punk band.
Ladytron- A great indie electric band.
Metric- An alternative/indie rock band.
Mogwai- The three Mogwai albums that I own each have different genres, "Other," "Rock," and "Indie Rock." this pretty much describes their music, as it varies in that range.
Of Montreal- A strange but good indie band from Canada (obviously)
Ok Go- Possibly my favorite band, Ok Go is an indie rock band that plays mostly fast, energetic music.
They Might Be Giants- Another possibility for my favorite band, TMBG has done everything from children's music to rock. I've heard them best described as "Nerd Rock." I think they were mentioned in the alt-text of a comic.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent- Isaac Asimov

...Space, with nothing on top, nothing on the bottom, and a lot of empty nothings between... falling in the middle of nothing, on the way to no particular night and no particular morning.

HenryGifford

Postby HenryGifford » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

If you want to listen to the REAL Ben Folds, Brainwashed probably isn't a good first place to go to. (By the way, I'm assuming the Brainwashed you're linking to is the one off the Way to Normal leak. If that's the case google "Way to Normal fake torrent" and you'll get it. Don't worry if you think it's pirating, Ben put out the leak for free as some sort of joke...) Anyway, I'd advise off his new album Kylie from Connecticut, or listen to some old Ben Folds Five. If you want strictly Ben Folds though Fred Jones, Part 2.

I ranted, didn't I?

Return to “Music”