Pink Floyd - Meddle

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sir_Elderberry

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:00 am UTC

So, Pink Floyd's Meddle album. It's the one right before the far more famous DSOTM. I have had it for a while, but lost it due to a series of technical problems with my iPod, which have since been fixed. Tonight I rediscovered the folder on my thumb drive and listened to it again, and considering that most people are more familiar with their other albums (DSOTM, The Wall, Piper, And WYWH are their most famous, I'd say, but I don't have numbers to back that up.) Interestingly enough, I like it better than some of that. It's a really nice blend of the earlier psychedelic stuff like Piper, and also a sort of concept album in the vein of their later works.

What do you guys think?
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

clayasaurus

Re: Pink Floyd - Meddle

Postby clayasaurus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:29 am UTC

Meddle is one of my personal favorites, especially Echoes. That bluesy breakdown is just so fucking good.

Pillow of Winds, ughhhh.... I used to lay in my hammock and fall asleep to a nap in the summertime listening to that one.
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

zylle

Postby zylle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:27 am UTC

i fucking LOVE meddle. my dad is an old hippie and we had an old beat up version of it on vinyl when i was growing up. i used to lay by the record player and listen to it over and over and over. fearless is my favorite from that one, hopeful and beautiful and ive painted a lot of randomness listening to that track.

apparently echoes syncs with 2001 a space odyssey, the same way DSTOM syncs with wizard of oz, but i've never tried it, so i couldn't say for sure, but if you're into that kind of thing, it would probably be pretty interesting.

thanks for bringing up meddle though...a lot of people who really like pink floyd dont even know it, glad to see a few other people do!

Blades

Postby Blades » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Echoes is one of the best songs they ever made. My favorite, for sure. Yet, people always go on and on about The Wall and Dark Side, both good albums. Meddle really did get overshadowed. Damn shame.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

zylle wrote:thanks for bringing up meddle though...a lot of people who really like pink floyd dont even know it, glad to see a few other people do!

Yeah, my mom kind of got me into Floyd last Christmas by giving me DSOTM and The Wall, and I quickly got myself WYWH, Animals, etc, and then went to the beginning and picked up Piper at the Gates of Dawn--which was not bad either, if different from their other works due to Syd Barrett. Then I got Meddle and was very pleasantly surprised, a nice hybrid imo.

Although, Meddle does contain "Seamus". Probably the only Floyd song I can say I actually hate.

Well. You heard him.

I, Lounger

Postby I, Lounger » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

This should probably go in the 'Unpopular Opinions' thread, but San Tropez is my favorite Pink Floyd song. I love the whole album, it's probably even my favorite of theirs, but San tropez is unlike anything else in their entire discography and I still find it awesome.

And I feel this needs to be mentioned: if you like Meddle (particularly Echoes and One Of These Days), you need to watch/listen to Live At Pompeii. Dear god is it amazing. It's a recording of the band performing six of their songs in an ancient amphitheater in Pompeii, Italy in 1971. It features some bits of studio recordings and interviews with the band (as it is also a documentary), but this is basically the tracklisting (taken from Wikipedia):

1. "Intro Song"
2. "Echoes, Part 1"
3. "Careful with That Axe, Eugene"
4. "A Saucerful of Secrets"
5. "One of These Days"
6. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
7. "Mademoiselle Nobs"
8. "Echoes, Part 2"

(Track 7 is basically Seamus)

The Pompeii performance of Echoes gives me chills every time, especially Gilmour's vocal part. Everyone needs to hear this.

red artifice

Postby red artifice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:47 am UTC

Echoes is brilliant, and I love the cover- an ear underwater!

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

As I reach for a peach, slide around down behind

the sofa in San Tropez.

8)

hookah_smokah

Postby hookah_smokah » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

who is pink floyd? a new band?

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

srs? =|

someguy

Postby someguy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

I, Lounger wrote:And I feel this needs to be mentioned: if you like Meddle (particularly Echoes and One Of These Days), you need to watch/listen to Live At Pompeii. Dear god is it amazing. It's a recording of the band, flying high on drugs, performing six of their songs in an ancient amphitheater in Pompeii, Italy in 1971.

Fix'd

And I agree, it's great viewing.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Purists, don't kill me: I think A Momentary Lapse of Reason is one of my favorites. It's post-Waters, but it's amazing. Admittedly, it's amazing for all of two songs but those songs are absolutely breathtaking. Oh, and I like the Division Bell for the song High Hopes. Granted, it sounds like Enya barfed up on that particular song, but I actually like that sound. Others might not. Basically, no, post-Waters work isn't complete crap. Listen to High Hopes, On the turning away, and Learning to fly. All of those can be found on youtube; I'm just too lazy to go searching right now.

I've fallen in love with a few songs from each album. I love the entire album, but there's at least one song from each that stands out and I'll listen to it over and over and over again. Oh, I've noticed I'm a sucker for any song with bells at the beginning or end. *bliss* It's nice, because my father has many and I just steal from him.

We have The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, and I think we have Animals as a record.

Edit: If you want to listen to On The Turning Away, I suggest you specifically search for the one on Momentary Lapse of Reason. I like it better than any other recordings.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

I haven't heard AMLOR, but I have heard The Division Bell. It's alright. Not great, but alright. It justifies the MBs it takes up on my computer, at least.

Well. You heard him.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Meddle is okay.. well, I usually just listen to One Of These Days then skip to Echoes myself. Although the Live at Pompeii version of Echoes is far superior, so I'd rather listen to that instead.

I don't like post-Waters Floyd.. there are a few good songs (ie, High Hopes) but I can't stand most of them. In fact they started getting bad before Waters left.. The Final Cut makes me cringe. They were still great live during the 80's and 90's though; P.U.L.S.E is amazing.

That said, Gilmour's latest solo album is fantastic; so much better than anything he's done since The Wall.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:50 am UTC

I think I like most post-Waters work so much because of Gilmour's voice. I know he sung a fair amount (as in...well...not...exactly that much) when Waters was running things, but I love love love being able to hear his voice as the centerpiece of a song.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 am UTC

Meddle was amazing, Live at Pompeii was amazing. Echoes is the reason I picked up a bass guitar. The jam part on Pompeii is so great, but if you listen to the verse and chorus the bassline there is just as amazing, Waters really shines on these pieces.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

DayTripper47

Postby DayTripper47 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

Another great but underrated Pink Floyd album is Atom Heart Mother. The title song is incredible. They made a perfect combination symphonic classical, psychedelic, and rock elements.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:I think I like most post-Waters work so much because of Gilmour's voice. I know he sung a fair amount (as in...well...not...exactly that much) when Waters was running things, but I love love love being able to hear his voice as the centerpiece of a song.

the only time that waters really sung was in the wall, but that was because the entire album was an ego strokefest for him.

dsotm, wywh, meddle, all these are sung mostly by gilmour and wright sometimes.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:49 am UTC

aaron wrote:
IronyandParadox wrote:I think I like most post-Waters work so much because of Gilmour's voice. I know he sung a fair amount (as in...well...not...exactly that much) when Waters was running things, but I love love love being able to hear his voice as the centerpiece of a song.

the only time that waters really sung was in the wall, but that was because the entire album was an ego strokefest for him.

Not that there's anything terribly wrong with that, it was a good album.

Well. You heard him.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Ahh, a truly amazing album.

This may not be the right place, but I'll bring this up anyway.
It seems that music of the present tends to suck, musicly and lyrically, its (I dont want to say 'for the most part' because i know that would be argued, but I will anyway) for the most part two or three chord songs with HORRABLE chord progerssions. Or the songs where what the guitars play has no bearing on what the singers scream, just add a crapload of distortion and you'v got yourself a song. . . um NO. I believe a contributer to the way music had degraded is ostensibly ( hope that is used right) the internet, before (pre-internet) only good music was known because only good music was played over the raido, skill was required. Now, there is SO MUCH music out there that the good music gets lost in the tar pit, forgotin among screams (I like it too every now and then) and just plain crap. Getting your music known now depends more on how much, umm what the raido stations would call money, than skill. That systm keeps the rich, rich and the poor, poor (Music Artists that is).

What are others Ideas on this?
Last edited by Little Richie on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Kinda strikes me as the generic grumblegrumble the old days were best grumblegrumble viewpoint. There are plenty of good bands nowadays and modern albums which are as good as or better than Meddle. Get yourself some Radiohead, Architecture in Helsinki, Bjork... All modern music may not be to your tastes, but if you think all of it is horrible lyrics paired with distortion and screaming, you're listening to the wrong radio station.
Another point I'd raise is Sturgeon's Law - 90% of everything is crap. Music from the past that you hear now is a tiny percentage of music actually produced in that period, so contrasting the relative quantities of 'old' music and contemporary music that you like isn't a fair comparison.
Also, if something is "ostensibly" true, it refers to the way something appears or is claimed to be, rather than (though not necessarily in contrast with) what it actually is, so if you believe that the internet really is the source of degradation in music, then it isn't an appropriate word.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

Little Richie wrote:Ahh, a truly amazing album.

It seems that music of the present tends to suck, musicly and lyrically, its (I dont want to say 'for the most part' because i know that would be argued, but I will anyway) for the most part two or three chord songs with HORRABLE chord progerssions. Or the songs where what the guitars play has no bearing on what the singers scream, just add a crapload of distortion and you'v got yourself a song. . . um NO. I believe a contributer to the way music had degraded is ostensibly ( hope that is used right) the internet, before (pre-internet) only good music was known because only good music was played over the raido, skill was required. Now, there is SO MUCH music out there that the good music gets lost in the tar pit, forgotin among screams (I like it too every now and then) and just plain crap. Getting your music known now depends more on how much, umm what the raido stations would call money, than skill. That systm keeps the ritch, ritch and the poor, poor (Music Artists that is).

Get a spellchecker, for starters. And the parts in bold describe pop music going back to at least the 1950s, if not earlier. And rock music since it came into existence. If you want to check on whether or not crap was played in years past, there's still the Billboard charts.

People loved crap 20 years ago, they've just conveniently forgotten about it. The radio played what people wanted to hear 20 years ago, and most of it was crap. The few surviving bits that have stayed with us that weren't crap color your perceptions.

Seriously, spellcheck. The correct spelling of rich is in your damn username.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Little Richie wrote:Ahh, a truly amazing album.

It seems that music of the present tends to suck, musicly and lyrically, its (I dont want to say 'for the most part' because i know that would be argued, but I will anyway) for the most part two or three chord songs with HORRABLE chord progerssions. Or the songs where what the guitars play has no bearing on what the singers scream, just add a crapload of distortion and you'v got yourself a song. . . um NO. I believe a contributer to the way music had degraded is ostensibly ( hope that is used right) the internet, before (pre-internet) only good music was known because only good music was played over the raido, skill was required. Now, there is SO MUCH music out there that the good music gets lost in the tar pit, forgotin among screams (I like it too every now and then) and just plain crap. Getting your music known now depends more on how much, umm what the raido stations would call money, than skill. That systm keeps the ritch, ritch and the poor, poor (Music Artists that is).

Get a spellchecker, for starters. And the parts in bold describe pop music going back to at least the 1950s, if not earlier. And rock music since it came into existence. If you want to check on whether or not crap was played in years past, there's still the Billboard charts.

People loved crap 20 years ago, they've just conveniently forgotten about it. The radio played what people wanted to hear 20 years ago, and most of it was crap. The few surviving bits that have stayed with us that weren't crap color your perceptions.

Seriously, spellcheck. The correct spelling of rich is in your damn username.

I'm sorry about the spelling,
I understand your point about how there has always been 'crap' music. And that is true as there has always been a demand for music. But what present band will still be played in 20 years? Maby a few, but, what bands will still be played that are already 10+ years old, many, the beatles for example, will never die. Only a few others off the top of my playlist that I believe will live forever, are Pink Floid, Led Zeppilin, and Queen.
Though there is still good music and there was always bad music. The amount of overall music has gone up, in that, the bad has increased more than the good, therefor it is less likely for recent good music to be remembered and known than older bands.

My fathers friend for example went to all of the radio stations in AZ trying to get his professionaly recorded album on the raido, or atleast one song. He was not looking for money, just to get his songs out there. Only one of the raido stations played a shotrned version of his song, once. My point to this is to illistrate how even at no money gain, and even some loss, it is hard to get music out there.

I will not go so far as to say that all music from the now is crap, but as I am sure you can agree, it is getting hard to find a good station that dose not play 'oldies', IFF that is the style of music you enjoy, good musical music.

I am sorry now for all of the spelling/ gramatical errors that are above, as I am sure that there are some.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Little Richie wrote:...My point to this is to illistrate how even at no money gain, and even some loss, it is hard to get music out there...

You've kinda contradicted yourself there - before you were arguing that so much music can 'get out there' that the good stuff is drowned out. As I said, Sturgeon's law. I for one know that there is music coming out now to which I will will still listen in 10+ years.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:06 am UTC

KingAl wrote:
Little Richie wrote:...My point to this is to illistrate how even at no money gain, and even some loss, it is hard to get music out there...

You've kinda contradicted yourself there - before you were arguing that so much music can 'get out there' that the good stuff is drowned out. As I said, Sturgeon's law. I for one know that there is music coming out now to which I will will still listen in 10+ years.

yea guess so i guess that did. getting music out there is easy and everyone has done it, getting it played publicly is hard, thats more of what i ment. I do agree somewhat with Sturgeon's law and in the present years there is more oF everything, but the same(ish) amount of people trying to wead away the crap as there has always been.

Also in general inturperatation of Sturgeon's law there *is* a lot of crap out there, it is hard to find somthing worth the time of finding it, the jems are hidden under layer apon layer of coal.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

I have Live at Pompeii (director's cut), which is pretty excellent.
Echoes is rad.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Return to “Music”