Bob Dylan

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Bob Dylan

Postby Goatboy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:56 am UTC

So, I have The Essential Bob Dylan, and it treats me well, but I don't like being that guy who only has greatest hits discs, but the Dylan catalog is a little intimidating. Any suggestions?
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

aaron

Re: Bob Dylan

Postby aaron » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:14 am UTC

Give me your favorite songs from your CD and I'll give you songs in the vein of that song and/or from that era. I'm a big Dylan fan.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Blonde on Blonde would be my first suggestion. It's probably my favourite Dylan album. From your Essential, there's the tracks "Just Like a Woman" and "I Want You" (assuming it's the same one I own.)

For folkier stuff, maybe go for The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan ("Blowin' In The Wind", "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright"), or the one just titled Bob Dylan (None, I don't think). I prefer the self-titled one personally.

I'm not a huge Dylan buff, but these are the places I started out.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:32 am UTC

Personally, I find an awful lot of his very early stuff (acoustic guitar, harmonica, whining) to be unlistenable. However, I have his three most recent albums - Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and Modern Times which I adore. He doesn't sing anymore so much as grumble, and his voice has become very gravelly (not quite like Tom Waits but getting there.) Also the production is much better. (I'm a bit of an audio nazi.) Never really been one to pay a massive amount of attention to lyrics, so dyed-in-the-wool Dylanists will say I'm not getting his early stuff at all, but I find the whole package really hits the mark for me with those three.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:32 am UTC

My favourite songs are "It Ain't Me, Babe," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35" (it never gets old), "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" and "Hurricane."
Also, regarding my comment about greatest hits discs: that in no way applies to b-sides/rarities collections, live albums, or tributes.
I've also thought a bit about those three new ones, davef, it's good to know somebody that's not a music journalist enjoys them.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:47 am UTC

Try out Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home. Hurricane is a great song, I have to agree, but the album it's on is very =|. Highway 61 Revisited is a classic, of course. My favorite Dylan album is Before The Flood (with The Band.)

someguy

Postby someguy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:06 am UTC

davef wrote:Personally, I find an awful lot of his very early stuff (acoustic guitar, harmonica, whining) to be unlistenable. However, I have his three most recent albums - Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and Modern Times which I adore.

I'm not sure I'd call them unlistenable myself, but they can certainly be 'tiring' considering it's just him and a guitar, there's little variation. Still, if the OP wanted to start there, I'd suggest The Other Side of Bob Dylan. I would also personally leave the later albums for later.

I agree with whoever said you should get Blonde on Blonde first; it might seem a bit long at first (it was originally a double album) but that one alone should keep you busy for a few months. Then after that one you could possibly get, say... Highway 61?
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

I have Modern Times. It's good - pretty old-school songs that predate the rock era.

Most of the songs are very simple and long, but somehow the record ends up as more than the sum of its parts.

yelly

Postby yelly » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

aaron wrote:Try out Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home. Hurricane is a great song, I have to agree, but the album it's on is very =|.

I personally really, really like Desire, it stirs me every time (but maybe I am biased, my nappies were changed to it). So yeah, Desire is great.
Apart from that, definitely Blond on Blond and Highway 61.
"So there are 3 guards, one always tells the truth, one always lies and the third answers randomly"
"But I only want to know the fucking time!"

someguy

Postby someguy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Oh btw, I meant to post a link to this the other day; it's one of the reasons why Blonde on Blonde was my first Dylan album.

Blonde on Blonde@Everything2
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Return to “Music”