What do you listen to when you study?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ThreeLawsSafe

What do you listen to when you study?

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

I have midterms this week and I always study with music. It usually varies and this time around it took me a couple days to figure out that I study best when listening to Muse (and I haven't listened to them in ages).

So, what do you listen to when you study? Something fast and furious or something more mellow?
That's not gneiss.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Clumpy

Re: What do you listen to when you study?

Postby Clumpy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Pretty much just Sigor Ros and Grizzly Bear.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Study...??

odayjuarez

Postby odayjuarez » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:03 am UTC

I like rock, but mostly listen to instrumental stuff when I'm studying. I'd recommend Explosions in the Sky. It's simple (3 guitars + drums), but quite hard to explain! I'm a CS student, not music! A bit of jazz is nice too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosions_in_the_sky
Donald Knuth wrote:Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Anything loud enough for me to notice is distracting; anything quiet enough for me not to notice isn't worth going to the bother of finding and playing (for me, anyway).
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:26 am UTC

odayjuarez wrote:I like rock, but mostly listen to instrumental stuff when I'm studying. I'd recommend Explosions in the Sky. It's simple (3 guitars + drums), but quite hard to explain! I'm a CS student, not music! A bit of jazz is nice too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosions_in_the_sky

I ran into these guys when on Friday Night Lights. Shut up, it's a great show. :)

Actually, I loved them so much that I found out when they were next playing in the New York area, and bought two tickets. Then my girlfriend broke up with me, and now I have a spare. Does anyone want it?
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

ThreeLawsSafe

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

odayjuarez wrote:I like rock, but mostly listen to instrumental stuff when I'm studying. I'd recommend Explosions in the Sky. It's simple (3 guitars + drums), but quite hard to explain!

Whoa! I like them a lot. Thanks for the recommendation.

lazarus89 wrote:Actually, I loved them so much that I found out when they were next playing in the New York area, and bought two tickets. Then my girlfriend broke up with me, and now I have a spare. Does anyone want it?

When is the show?
That's not gneiss.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

ThreeLawsSafe wrote:Whoa! I like them a lot. Thanks for the recommendation.

Did you sample them? How and where please?
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

Even when I was in school, I did precious little actual studying. But when I need to seriously focus on something I put "Porcelain" by Moby on repeat. I also do this when I'm feeling particularly shitty.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

odayjuarez

Postby odayjuarez » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:
ThreeLawsSafe wrote:Whoa! I like them a lot. Thanks for the recommendation.

Did you sample them? How and where please?

Youtube seems to have a few live videos. This is a favourite of mine though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLlYQQrHmh8
Donald Knuth wrote:Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Crap. I don't have a good computer to access youtube. Hmmm
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:32 am UTC

I try not to listen to anything, but if I needs the music, usually the Field.

tenohsix

Postby tenohsix » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:48 am UTC

I'll occasionally stream classical music (mostly 2 Bartok violin concertos over and over) through the university's music library, though I usually need it to be relatively quiet when I study.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

I focus best as long as there's *any* background noise. Usually something with a good beat, or is mellow/relaxing is usually good.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

ThreeLawsSafe

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:Did you sample them? How and where please?

I just went onto iTunes and listened to the track excerpts. This usually doesn't work with most bands, but with Explosions in the Sky (being instrumental and all), I was able to get a good feel for them after a few tracks. Kinda a weird way to sample a band, but I liked what I heard right away :-]

tenohsix wrote:I'll occasionally stream classical music (mostly 2 Bartok violin concertos over and over) through the university's music library, though I usually need it to be relatively quiet when I study.

Classical music usually helps me study too.
That's not gneiss.

Nya

Postby Nya » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

Back when I was studying stuff that I didn't want to study, I would listen to something soft that would not distract me, like Mark Knopfler, Jazz or Classical music. When I was having exams on stuff that I didn't want to study, I would study with no music.
Now that I only study stuff that I like to study, I just throw in anything I like, let that be Ska, Ambience music, Chill-out or Jazz.
Why, why, why! Because it's all logic and reason now. Science, progress, laws of hydraulics, laws of social dynamics, laws of this, that, and the other. No place for three-legged cyclops in the South Seas. No place for cucumber trees and oceans of wine.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:02 am UTC

ThreeLawsSafe wrote:When is the show?

April 8th, I believe.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Normally either something relaxed and instrumental- Afrocelts, Phillip Glass, Ed Alleyne-Johnson (mad electric-violin-with-various-pedals player)

...or Nile.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Ego boosters. Mostly stuff telling me I have the touch, the power, and possibly even the heart and the motion.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

violaxcore

Postby violaxcore » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC

things with a good beat, instrumentals, techno, and rap

cyberdeftly

Postby cyberdeftly » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Some of you may be able to relate.

It depends a lot on the subject. If I'm writing a paper of any sorts, it needs to be mellow. I usually stick with soundtracks. Jurassic Park, Star Wars and Harry Potter are 3 of my favorites that I listen to. Even now as I'm typing, Jurassic Park is playing in the background.

This is the interesting part. If I'm doing math, chemistry or anything that involves numbers, equations, formulas etc I NEED, absolutely NEED hardcore thumping techno. I don't know what it is about techno, but it gets those brain cells vibrating and helps me to concentrate. Not to mention that doing math is like playing a game. If I solve a problem I get pumped and want to solve more! Techno helps with that feeling of accomplishment.

Examples of techno
BT
Gigi Di Astronio
Paul Oakenfold
Fatboy Slim (preferred Norman Cook collections)
and various other popular techno songs. European mixes are especially good.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

For studying, lately I've been liking try^d's stuff. Most of it is very trance-like. They classify themselves as "classical industrial pop," though, so maybe I'm just crazy.

Try them out for yourself both free and legally!: http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/3661

Listen is my favorite album, but their other album, Public Domain, has some awesome tracks, too.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

RaysOfDarkMatter

Postby RaysOfDarkMatter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 am UTC

I just need some sort of background noise. Silence drives me crazy when I have to sit for hours and study. But I'm good with anything from my room mate's iTunes to the TV on in the background... the only thing I can't stand is when I can hear people talking in the room next to me, or in the hallway. I just can't focus on anything else, and it drives me insane.

But usually when I'm studying the more 'easy listening' types of music work best to keep the background noise up, but not distract me from my work too much.

DayTripper47

Postby DayTripper47 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Classical solo piano works (Chopin's nocturnes), jazz (Wes Montgomery), and post-rock (Godspeed, Explosions In The Sky). Just something simple (NOT droning psychedelic music).

red artifice

Postby red artifice » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

Jazz, particularly herbie hancock and milestones to kind of blue era miles davis. electronica, particularly live sets like alive 2007 or royksopp's night out. depends on how I feel at the time

ThreeLawsSafe

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:24 am UTC

cyberdeftly wrote:Some of you may be able to relate... If I'm doing math, chemistry or anything that involves numbers, equations, formulas etc I NEED, absolutely NEED hardcore thumping techno.

This is sorta like me too. If I'm doing anything with numbers, I can listen to practically anything. But if I need to read or type something I can only listen to instrumental stuff. Any music with words just distracts me.
That's not gneiss.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Classical, or something ambient.

Nothing with lyrics. Nothing too loud, heavy, or rhythmic.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Keltic mainly, it has musical solos but they arnt overly powerfull. Just relaxing. aah

Or for any math, metalica or disturbed even some dragonforce.
But after 6 min. of the same style of music in 'almost' ALL the songs of DragonForce I cant stand them.
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

Ruins

Postby Ruins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Am I the only one that listens to power metal (Falconer, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Galneryus) while coding?
Nothing is new, we just forget the old - me after doing my literature review

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Oh, I also enjoy listening to Ravi Shankar (at least the song "Bangla Duhn" from George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh on repeat).
The only lyrical music that distracts me from studying or reading is rap, which has such a strong focus on lyrics over anything else. It's also hard for me to focus and listen to music that is new to me because I find myself much more interested in the music.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Explosions in the Sky is a good one, any neo-prog really, Godspeed you Black Emperor!, Silver Mt. Zion, and Charlie Parker.

A very quite Charlie....
To exist is to resist.

Ebeth

Postby Ebeth » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Just about anything, but the music has to be there. :D It tends to get louder and faster the later i'm up, so i'll start a paper with say, Dire Straits and end up with Iron Maiden. There are no specifications for subject, except that if i'm doing math, the music has to be the same style. It can't shuffle when i'm doing math, or i die (mentally).

Actually, now that i think about it, the more pressure there is, the heavier it gets. Even if it's relatively early in the night, if it's a really big paper or something that's worth a lot of points, it'll be harder rock or metal.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

thechamelion

Postby thechamelion » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Mozart's Requiem or Samuel Osborne Barber's Adagio for strings. Just loud enough so I know it's there

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Jazz is what works for me. Something quiet, melodic, devoid of lyrics (or really any voices what so ever... Bobby McFerrin failed the studying compatibility test). Specifically, Gerry Mulligan, Wynton Marsalis, Stan Getz, Chet Baker... those people. A jazz trio is usually to simplistic and sends me to sleep, while lyrics or something too upbeat will be a bit distracting.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Depends on my mood. Jazz is good, (all different sorts, again depending on mood). Lately I've been listening to a ton of post-rock (Explosions in the Sky/65daysofstatic are my favorites lately). When my studying involves coding, I like to listen to something more...epic. Like the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack :P.

Pseudo

Postby Pseudo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:53 am UTC

I'll usually listen to Trance/Techno because I find the ambient noise helps me concentrate. DJ Tiesto or something usually. I love his mix of Adagio for Strings. I love Rock, but I get too wrapped up in the music to study or do homework.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

- Galileo Galilei

K_Star

Postby K_Star » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

God Is An Astronaut. Their latest CD Far From Refuge is bloody amazing.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Anything I can sleep to, anything else just gets me distracted. So, Philip Glass, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Bohren und der Club of Gore, Eluvium.

Kookie

Postby Kookie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Mmmh, post-rock fans here :)

My playlist is generally set on "random" while I'm studying. So it might be Sigur Ros, Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Angra, Explosions in the sky, Spock's Beard, Queen, Steve Vai, Radiohead...
But for long nights of coding or working for exams, I prefer loud, hard, technical and highly melodical tunes, hoping it would grant me infinite will power, and like Silver2Falcon, to be in an "epic" mood. So, progressive and instrumental rock/metal for me, please.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

On the days when I actually get work done: Strauss, Vivaldi, Handel and Grieg.
NTS- Must go get new instrumental music... these four have been absolutely exhausted by use.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

Return to “Music”