Daft Punk

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PhantomReality

Re: Daft Punk

Postby PhantomReality » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

I mean Daft Punk is just pretty much better faster and stronger than any of their contemporaries. So you know. End of discussion.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

homework > discovery > human after all

alive 2007 > alive 1997, but just barely

edit: stronger has better production than touch it but busta is a better rapper than kanye

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:03 am UTC

TOUCH IT BRING IT BABE!

Technologic FTW
*waggles eyebrows*

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:32 am UTC

Oh yeah? Well
Discovery > Human After All > Homework

What about that?

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:51 am UTC

TEleVIson, RUles the natION!

I'm just going to keep on doing this, m'kay?
*waggles eyebrows*

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:58 am UTC

's cool.

(boom chik boom chik boom chik boom chik)

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:45 am UTC

Funny enough, I had been linked to one of their music videos a few days ago and decided to listen up on the group. I'm not exactly crazy for them, but it's an interesting and different sound. Any tips for other bands/groups like these guys?
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

digitalism, justice, ratatat... i'm forgetting a bunch. digitalism and justice basically sound like daft punk jr though.
scowdich wrote:Oh yeah? Well
Discovery > Human After All > Homework

What about that?

it's fine, but also wrong. go listen to Revolution 909 a few hundred times and report back.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Robot.... hUmAannN... RObOt....Robot.... hUmAannN... RObOt....Robot.... hUmAannN... RObOt....Robot.... hUmAannN... RObOt....
:D
Yes, i am listening to Daft Punk right now.
And if you're looking for stuff like DP just put the artist name into pandora.
*waggles eyebrows*

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

What would Baron Harkonnen do?

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

The bigger question is who doesn't like daft punk.
Though I must admit their older stuff is more dear to me. It just struck a good chord with my life at the time. :D
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

I find it is a band that you cant just like immediately. I listened to it for about a year before I realized how great they are.

Also Alive '07 is way better than '97.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

Guh, I hate Daft Punk. Overrated and boring, repetitive music. Neat light shows. Bad costumes. Retro has stopped being ironically funny when it's handled the way they do it. Their movie (Interstellar something or another?) is stupid and badly animated and the music is lame.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Guh, I hate Daft Punk. Overrated and boring, repetitive music. Neat light shows. Bad costumes. Retro has stopped being ironically funny when it's handled the way they do it. Their movie (Interstellar something or another?) is stupid and badly animated and the music is lame.

forget this guy, daft punk rules
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Daft Punk is like what radiohead is to its crowd, except radiohead has a handful of really good songs, whereas Daft Punk is just one long regurgitated loop track of crap. I've never met anyone who actually listens to techno or trance and enjoys Daft Punk. They're to electronica and ACTUAL music what training wheels on a clacker Schwinn is to a custom built LeMond roadster.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Daft Punk is like what radiohead is to its crowd, except radiohead has a handful of really good songs, whereas Daft Punk is just one long regurgitated loop track of crap. I've never met anyone who actually listens to techno or trance and enjoys Daft Punk. They're to electronica and ACTUAL music what training wheels on a clacker Schwinn is to a custom built LeMond roadster.

actually, you are wrong.

I listen to trance/techno, as well as everything from Noisia to Fischerspooner on the electronic spectrum, and I like Daft Punk.

You're a bit alone in your opinion, which you can hold onto idc, just don't present it as objective.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Everything I've presented is opinion/anecdotal. I presented nothing as fact.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Seems a bit subjective. He didn't say that electronica fans hate Daft Punk - just that he'd never met any.

"Better Faster Stronger" - still the best use of looped vocals in a techno song that I have ever heard. "Leyendecker" by Battles is a solid second.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I've never met anyone who actually listens to techno or trance and enjoys Daft Punk. They're to electronica and ACTUAL music what training wheels on a clacker Schwinn is to a custom built LeMond roadster.

me neither, because daft punk isn't techno or trance.

and what, in your mind, is the "electronica" (why anybody other than Madonna started using this term, I'll never know) that daft punk is the training wheels of?

edit: what is your opinion of kraftwerk

edit2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Mh2GDbc6N0 vocals are annoying as hell but eh, janet jackson sampling Homework is so cool/funny that i don't really mind the song. so now a sample from every daft punk album has been in a major hip hop/rap song. works for me! somebody needs to sample the bassline from around the world, or revolution 909 next.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Very over rated. Heard way better. Good stuff though. Not going to lie. I think Alive is good album to listen to for a party. And sex. But that's just me.

Hilights:

Da Funk. GREAT car riding music.
HBFS (Original, Alive 2007 version, and Deadmau5 Edit)
Around the World
Technologic. But not a fan of Touch It. I knew a girl who knew the *entire* lyrics to Technologic. Twas full of win.
Robot Rock

But seriously. There are better Djs. And better artists. This is poppy techno. Hence it's popularity. Pendulum deserves this kind of credit. But it's ok. ^^;.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:09 am UTC

pendulum is hella well known for a dnb group, basically every tf2 video ever on youtube has hold your colour in the background

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Heaven knows that I don't mind repeating, loop-based stuff, but when I listen to electronic music I generally prefer something more melodic and emotive. The Knife is amazing (Check out "Silent Shout" for some really moody, multilayered stuff), LCD Soundsystem, and heavier stuff like Battles really get me. I never really got into Hot Chip, but I have "The Warning" and it's pretty good.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:21 am UTC

Ace bands that you recommended there, Clumpy :D. I really, really, REALLY want to witness Battles live. It's meant to be very intense. I also agree with the previous mentions of Digitalism, Justice etc for lovers of Daft Punk. Some do say they're a poor mans Daft Punk, but they have their own charm.

Anyway, yes. Mmm..Daft Punk. Love them. And, people..it's so obviously:

Discovery > Homework > Human After All.

Has anyone seen Interstella 5555? All the anime music videos of their Discovery album, but in order. It's quite cool. I tried watching their other film, Electroma, but I sort of...fell asleep. In my defense, it was late and the film is very slowpaced!
i dare you to take me on...

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Heaven knows that I don't mind repeating, loop-based stuff, but when I listen to electronic music I generally prefer something more melodic and emotive. The Knife is amazing (Check out "Silent Shout" for some really moody, multilayered stuff), LCD Soundsystem, and heavier stuff like Battles really get me. I never really got into Hot Chip, but I have "The Warning" and it's pretty good.

i'm sorry, it's just amusing to hear hot chip or battles described as heavy. They're good, Im enjoying the new album atm but they're fairly light imo

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

I wasn't really putting Hot Chip into the same category, just off to the side as an example of the genre that doesn't grab me as much. "Battles" is heavier in the sense that it's more beat-based and incorporates members from rock and metal genres who play fairly percussively. It's heavier than my other examples but by no means the heaviest examples of the genre.

If I'm going to listen to straight-up dance music I'll probably go the Industrial route and pop in some Rammstein. Orgy and Gravity Kills had isolated songs that I still love.

Klye

Postby Klye » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cYWfq--Nw

Daft hands! :mrgreen:

Aww, I was going to post this...

I hate how everyone I know listens to that Kanye West "Stonger" shit and comments on how awesome the background that "he made for the song" is. Then they've never heard of Daft Punk wheni tell them it's just sampled from one of their songs.

But yeah, great band.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

.. of course, you realize Daft Punk just sampled the tune as well, right? So it's a remixed sample of a remixed sample, if you wanna get all technical 'bout it.

Thought I like what they do with their samples.

But that's a whole different issue, on when a tune composed of samples stops being a song of samples and starts being it's own entity.. that just happens to have a couple samples in it or whatever.

Also, Harder Better Faster Stronger A Capella.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

yeah, have no illusions

Daft Punk really doesn't innovate, or do anything besides sound slick. But damn, they really do sound slick

Klye

Postby Klye » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

True. I would just expect a sample from a song released 7 years ago to be easily recognizable, whereas "Cola Bottle Baby," realesed sometime in the late 70s (I can't even find an exact date) I can understand not being known in a sample.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

espire

Postby espire » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

I read an entire Internet on limerence (non-sexual crushes) but Digital Love still explains them best.

I wish they released a holophonic album, though.
DANGER! RAPTORS! IT'S SAFE HERE

Spadly

Postby Spadly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Worse than people thinking Kanye wrote Harder...a girl at my school heard Daft Punk's version and said "This is the shittest cover version I've ever heard".
Part of me died that day.
And I dunno about Homework, haven't got it, but Discovery certainly > Human After All.
"The problem with the future is that it keeps becoming the present."

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Interstella 5555 is excellent. Get it if you're even mildly interested in Daft Punk, anime, or cool movies.

enk

Postby enk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:14 am UTC

Daft Punk manages a quite high listenability-per-repetitivity(-unit?).

But I do like LCD Soundsystem, Justice, Digitalism and Groove Armada more.

Also, see if you can get your hands on Breakwater's Release the Beast. S'good :)

And, as Clumpy mentions, The Knife is da bomb! (but..! Deep Cuts > Hannah med H > Silent Shout > The Knife )
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Very over rated. Heard way better. Good stuff though. Not going to lie. I think Alive is good album to listen to for a party. And sex. But that's just me.

Hilights:

Da Funk. GREAT car riding music.
HBFS (Original, Alive 2007 version, and Deadmau5 Edit)
Around the World
Technologic. But not a fan of Touch It. I knew a girl who knew the *entire* lyrics to Technologic. Twas full of win.
Robot Rock

But seriously. There are better Djs. And better artists. This is poppy techno. Hence it's popularity. Pendulum deserves this kind of credit. But it's ok. ^^;.

to be fair, pendulum is the daftpunk of the dnb world

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Heaven knows that I don't mind repeating, loop-based stuff, but when I listen to electronic music I generally prefer something more melodic and emotive. The Knife is amazing (Check out "Silent Shout" for some really moody, multilayered stuff), LCD Soundsystem, and heavier stuff like Battles really get me. I never really got into Hot Chip, but I have "The Warning" and it's pretty good.

You... know The Knife? Wow, that's a first. Usually I have to explain myself and make people listen to my iPod. They are awesome.

And Daft Punk is also. I can listen to it whenever, as long as it's not during a test because it urges me to move my body too much.
...and it is great sex music, mind you...
But i don't think anyone can claim something is better than something else in a general way because each person has a different/radically different taste. I like Sepultura as sleeping music (because my sister used to put it on during the night and i got used to sleeping while listening to it) and Sigur Ros (Takk to be precise) as stimulating, but a lot of people don't agree.
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:14 am UTC

ugh, the knife

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:57 am UTC

хлэб и Воля

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

clayasaurus wrote:ugh, the knife

Here's my response to that: <shows tongue>.

There, it's my taste, and thank God not everyone likes what i do. ^-^
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 am UTC

well, idk

the silent shout albums been growing on me.

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:07 am UTC

clayasaurus wrote:well, idk

the silent shout albums been growing on me.

It's weird, you're not the first person who have told me that.
When I heard then for the first time i didn't really enjoy; after about a month or so i picked it up again and started listening more and more. Now i just love them to no end.

And this is completely off topic...
harder, better, faster, strong!

Return to “Music”