Daft Punk

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Quakken

Re: Daft Punk

Postby Quakken » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:43 am UTC

When kanye west sampled harder faster better stronger, the first time I heard it, I wanted to punch some throats. I showed the original song to my brother, and he was all like "kanye's version is way more hardcore.I wish I was kidding about this. I also wish my brother knew the correct usage of hardcore.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:35 am UTC

Quakken wrote:When kanye west sampled harder faster better stronger, the first time I heard it, I wanted to punch some throats. I showed the original song to my brother, and he was all like "kanye's version is way more hardcore.I wish I was kidding about this. I also wish my brother knew the correct usage of hardcore.

To his benefit, the Kayne West version is actually a pretty sweet version. A good listen really.

But it is not better than the original by any means.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

Quakken wrote:the correct usage of hardcore.

enlighten us.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:00 am UTC

semicolon wrote:
Quakken wrote:the correct usage of hardcore.

enlighten us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEvLcrcKXY

That must be it.
хлэб и Воля

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 am UTC

on the internet, do not ask to be shown hardcore

you just might see it.
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

I recommend checking out all of the sensation white comp.'s also, as a graduation from daft punk into the rest of dance music
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Deleted a bit of spam, hence the (now) doublepost. Carry on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Their live show is insane... I saw them last summer, and it was without a doubt one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to. Might have had something to do with the waterfront location too. And the fact that I was high (seriously, second hand pot smoke is teh sucks)...
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:59 am UTC

These guys are a bit overrated. I mean, they make good music and all, but all of their stuff is very sampled and loopy. They're like a very basic (but catchy) Moog Cookbook. I like loopy electronica as much as anyone, but they really just create earworms and nothing more. There's no real depth of anything. They are pure shallow fun, yes, but does that mean I have to hear about them and how inventive and awesome they are every time someone brings up the Kanye West song?

Srsly guise.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:19 am UTC

DJorgensen wrote:The bigger question is who doesn't like daft punk.
Though I must admit their older stuff is more dear to me. It just struck a good chord with my life at the time. :D

Well, I don't. I saw the thread, figured what the hell, and looked them up. Watched some horrible, horrible videos on youtube, and decided this band is crap. It is all synthesizers and computers. No real instruments at all. What a joke!
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

Damnit XKCD!

I found this post and had to go through Amazon to find Human After All and Homework because I enjoy Discovery so much...

...That's £7.50 I'm pretty sure I was saving for something...
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Ensehderwie wrote:These guys are a bit overrated. I mean, they make good music and all, but all of their stuff is very sampled and loopy. They're like a very basic (but catchy) Moog Cookbook. I like loopy electronica as much as anyone, but they really just create earworms and nothing more. There's no real depth of anything. They are pure shallow fun, yes, but does that mean I have to hear about them and how inventive and awesome they are every time someone brings up the Kanye West song?

Srsly guise.

Quoted for fucking truth. This is why I call daft punk Pop Techno. When most people think of good techno, they think of daft punk. If anyone here likes daft punk they *need* to go out and search for other electronic music. Knowing just Daft Punk is like saying you only ever tried Vanilla Ice Cream. There's so many many other richer flavors of dance to try you guys wouldn;t even know it. And a *lot* of it is good if you know what to look for...

LilPixie

Postby LilPixie » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

I disagree. I listen to electronic music most of my time (not right now, actually... lately i have not been able to play anything else but The Beatles) and even though i've listened to a little from all spectrum of the genre, i still like Daft Punk much more than your so called "deeper and inventive" artists. I think you shouldn't judge what people like or dislike; taste is where subjectivity is defined, and telling people they're wrong for loving something you judge "not as good as" is insane. If you'd like to expose people to different artists, fine, I agree with that; but otherwise, let people enjoy what they've found to be enjoyable.
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:08 am UTC

FYI If you are looking for bands like Daft Punk the genre you want is French House. Daft Punk really aren't that unique. And there are some amazing bands in the genre that don't receive as much attention as DP for reasons I don't understand.

Go give them some love damn it.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

LilPixie wrote:I disagree. I listen to electronic music most of my time (not right now, actually... lately i have not been able to play anything else but The Beatles) and even though i've listened to a little from all spectrum of the genre, i still like Daft Punk much more than your so called "deeper and inventive" artists. I think you shouldn't judge what people like or dislike; taste is where subjectivity is defined, and telling people they're wrong for loving something you judge "not as good as" is insane. If you'd like to expose people to different artists, fine, I agree with that; but otherwise, let people enjoy what they've found to be enjoyable.

Aw man comon. There's got to be some artists you'd at least say are as good as Daft Punk...

Man it's time like these I wish I take over the U.S. radio station and flood them with my Winamp library and force them to listen for about 6 hours. Not that mine is the best, but geezus, it'd make my world the difference if I can have them experience what I do from some of my music. And I haven't even remotely gone out and about through that much.

Meh. Whatever suits you. Not to say everyone who's like DP has only heard of them only. Just the majority has. And I say that with no doubt in my mind.

Marbas wrote:FYI If you are looking for bands like Daft Punk the genre you want is French House. Daft Punk really aren't that unique. And there are some amazing bands in the genre that don't receive as much attention as DP for reasons I don't understand.

Go give them some love damn it.

Will do. *Heads on to SLSK*

By the way as with any artist who has too much fame, it cames from publicity and the people who hear good music for the first time and then decide it's the best thing since sliced bread. Dj Tiesto would be an example. Not to just pick on him, but he def. stands out in my mind for that.

Return to “Music”