Techno music for studying?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

kidwithshirt

Techno music for studying?

Postby kidwithshirt » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

Hey guys, I found out one of my classmates listens to techno while studying. I tried it and it's pretty cool and effective.

Does any techno guru have some recommendation for what songs to get? I m brand new in techno and I don't really know what artists to download since there are so many of them! I m looking for mostly fast stuff (around 160bpm?) without much vocal.

Need your experiences to help me!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Re: Techno music for studying?

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Video game remixes work well. Or even originals in the case of F-Zero X. ;)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

bridge

Postby bridge » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

3 letters: GOA

Edit: by goa i don't mean that sort of sh*t that ends up in compilations like "distance to goa" or "1200 micrograms" and similar, that is garbage)
Try Goa Gil or The Nommos [You can hear the mp3 preview on amazon]
Last edited by bridge on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Excuse my Super Mario accent

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

You might want to try browsing an internet radio station or two for ideas, I usually stick to those for studying, as my own library gets to be a tad dry after a while.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

Good beginner's trance can be found by looking for anything with DJ Tiesto's name on it. Anything at all. It's good enough that you'll get a taste for what things are really about, but still middleground enough to allow you room to move around within the genre.

The In Search of Sunrise series is more or less the canonical overnight roadtrip/cram session music, if only because of the title :P
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

turnip

Postby turnip » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Funny I should see this thread, I just made a playlist for studying (awesome method of procrastination, it makes you feel like you're actually being productive). When I study, I like listening to stuff that is repetitive and won't be distracting. Stuff like airwave, telepopmusik, astral projection.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Aphex Twin

kidwithshirt

Postby kidwithshirt » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

ya last night i was using pandora and I used the name Paul van dyk as the keyword

then i closed the window after I was done and forgot to record all the songs by artists that I liked

but a lot of them have a lot of vocal in there, I just want unci-unci-unci-unci-unci all the way through.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

i've always found ambient to be the best music for studying

check out:
m83 -- digital shades
aphex twin -- selected ambient works vol 1 and 2
stars of the lid -- and their refinement and their decay

also minimalist stuff like phillip glass are good

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

I also want to find more techno music. I've got the soundtracks of Mass Effect and Metroid Prime which are pretty cool, and I've found a few (very few) good people on MySpace but I need/want more =/ Linkin Park does a few good tracks, namely Session from Meteora and the remix of Cure for the Itch on Reanimation. I'm not certain if they actually fit into the definition of techno but they do it for me.

EDIT: This guy is good. I dig the last track there. Really relaxing and ambient.

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

turnip wrote:Funny I should see this thread, I just made a playlist for studying (awesome method of procrastination, it makes you feel like you're actually being productive). When I study, I like listening to stuff that is repetitive and won't be distracting. Stuff like airwave, telepopmusik, astral projection.

I never thought I'd see the words "Aphex Twin" and "not distracting" in the same paragraph, let alone be referring to one another.

turnip

Postby turnip » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Yawgmoth wrote:
turnip wrote:Funny I should see this thread, I just made a playlist for studying (awesome method of procrastination, it makes you feel like you're actually being productive). When I study, I like listening to stuff that is repetitive and won't be distracting. Stuff like airwave, telepopmusik, astral projection.

I never thought I'd see the words "Aphex Twin" and "not distracting" in the same paragraph, let alone be referring to one another.

I find it relaxing, maybe I'm crazy. Have you heard 4?

timt

Postby timt » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Funny, i listen to a wide variety of genres and electronic music isn't particularly one of my favorites, but when i study it's the only thing i can work effectively too. I like the psy/goa/chillout sub genres so i normally put some of that on. If it's too high energy/crappy vocals it turns into a distraction however. I love doing my programming homework to it, it just puts you in the zone.

btw if you don't already know check out http://www.di.fm , free streaming electronic music with heaps of different channels.

bridge

Postby bridge » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:15 am UTC

Another cool radio no one mentioned yet is BassDrive, it's drum and bass, the kind depends on the time but it's generally good

Kitation

Postby Kitation » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:30 am UTC

The Rez soundtrack is my current music-to-study-to, no vocals just good background noise.

Good game remixes to listen to: SGX - Save Me (ICO), SGX, FFmusicdj - Force of Light (Shining Force 3), DarkeSword - Twinkle Park Classic (Sonic Adventure), Orkybash - Perdition Hardcore (Final Fantasy VIII)

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:37 am UTC

Shouldn't this be in, like, music?

Alas, I am not a proponent of techno. Sorry for being a party pooper.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:20 am UTC

Do what I do - try some gabber or speedcore. Industrial is great too, if you're not into that extreme stuff I just mentioned. If you want stuff on the slower end of the spectrum, I recommed drone or noise [not techno].

x-Swamp

Postby x-Swamp » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

DJ SBX

Free and good.
Under development - my html sucks.

http://www.hitpenguin.net - any comments?

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:46 pm UTC

Kartoffelkopf wrote:Do what I do - try some gabber or speedcore. Industrial is great too, if you're not into that extreme stuff I just mentioned. If you want stuff on the slower end of the spectrum, I recommed drone or noise [not techno].

All of that will be chiefly horrible to try to listen to and concentrate on anything else.

wing wrote:Good beginner's trance can be found by looking for anything with DJ Tiesto's

...that's where I stopped reading. Also, the concept of "beginner's trance" is farcical, as trance has no hidden, deeper meaning that may be gleaned from experience.

Techno, the definition, is not going to be good study music unless you do well with a distracting, sometimes syncopated bassbeat in the background. You can go as minimal as possible and it's still going to be seemingly random ticks and whirrs unless you're paying attention to it, which is not your aim. Techno meaning "all electronic music" opens the door to wonderful downtempo electropop like Air or various relaxing ambient breaks/house/trance stuff that is completely non-intrusive and satisfying as background music.

I enjoy kitschy acid jazz late at night when I have a paper due. It keeps me upbeat and mentally sharp without stealing my attention, if not offering much musical merit
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

I listen to a good amount of EBM and psytrance as well as ambient.
Though I am not in school or studying. But it helps me get my work done.

Anyway, I like Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom, Anubian Nights, Ailo, Conjure One, Welle Erdball, Aphex Twin...
If I am not in the mood for techno its pretty tough to listen to though. :P
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

I made a mix for mostly tis exact reason. You can DL it here:

Here for 192k rate
or Here for the 128K rate

It's an hour long or so, but it's a seamless mix. Mostly trance/house, but very atmospheric. I got good reviews on it. ^^;

Edit: Looking back on it, I see that people are listing about everything I listen to XDDDD.

If anyone else wants a mix of the more hardcore stuff, I have another 30 min, and 1 hour speedcore mix, I'll link it. I also have a very electric feeling mix that does mostly acid house. Let me know if anyones interested.

bridge

Postby bridge » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:Sorry for being a party pooper.

Actually thanks, i never understood what a party pooper was

cryforhelp

Postby cryforhelp » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

So apparently I'm not allowed to post links, but let me point you in the direction of Philosomatika.com
It's goa/psychedelic trance. Internet radio keeps going, without repeats or talking or commercials, for hours or days.

Philosomatika is my favourite study music, even though I haven't gotten much done lately.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

Hospital Records Podcast.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

Return to “Music”