How do you find new music?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Where do you get new music recommendations from?

Family and Friends
29%
Radio, Television, and Games
11%
Non-human intelligent recommendations [amazon, pandora, etc]
13%
The internet [blogs, myspace, forums etc]
33%
Otters
15%

Total votes: 123

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

How do you find new music?

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:12 am UTC

What do people find are the best, and most effective ways, of finding new music that they actually enjoy?

The bulk of what I enjoy most comes from family/friends but I occasionally hit an absolute goldmine with blogs.
Last edited by existential_elevator on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChocloManx

Re: How do you find new music?

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Actually, it's the internuts AND my family and/or friends.
And the classical music collection my mom bought for some reason.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

pemcat

Postby pemcat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Youtube. Videohopping of music vids for my favourite TV series/movies. Often comes up things I like. Also if I like someones music on one of their vids I check out their other ones.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 am UTC

I picked otters for "mostly all of the above"
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

Kitation

Postby Kitation » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:20 am UTC

It used to be Pandora before they went US-only, now I either dig around Last.fm or in the case of Japanese bands, I go to a lot of mp3 rotation sites, plus subscribe to a couple of podcasts.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:30 am UTC

New Category Required: Mixtapes, Record label Samplers and by reading exactly who collaborated on a track I like.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Friends, my brother, movies and TV shows and occasionally pure dumb luck.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Pandora-like services, compilation records, random bands/musicians associated with the ones I like, etc.
Most of the music I listen to has some vague connection to the others that I found out one way or another. I start with one musician and find out about others through some six-degrees type thing.
When I specifically want to find new music that I haven't heard before, I'll go to blogs or services like Pandora or Last.fm.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

I chose Otter because otters have great musical taste I seem to get my music from all of those sources equally, although I have been known to listen to a band, then look on wikipedia for other bands like it.

Leesam

Postby Leesam » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

I do listen to Pandora quite a bit but i haven't come up with nearly as many good leads through Pandora as i have from friends and family.
A Trusted Friend in Science.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

A combination of all the choices.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

I'm thinking I might change this to be multiple votes. Would that be more useful to people? Otherwise, lamely, the otters are going to turn out best.

rob insurgent

Postby rob insurgent » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

going to shows, checking out bands that bands i like are playing with across the country

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Why isn't "concerts" on that list?

Seriously, most of the music that I find and like I find by going to a concert and hearing a piece or composer that just grabs me and forces me to look up their other stuff.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:56 am UTC

I mostly find new music through forums and places like last.fm. Mostly forums though - I have found about most of the bands I listen to through message boards at some point.

Manderley

Postby Manderley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

I've found that a great way to find new music is to yoink a good friend's mp3 player (if they have one) and poke around. Usually works best when you have similar tastes and different resources.

Otherwise, I get music thrown at me because I sing. Good times.
I self medicate.

With tea.

Balalaika Gap

Postby Balalaika Gap » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

These days I mostly find new music through friends or good radio programs, like World Cafe on NPR or various shows on the local college station.

When I was growing up long ago in a pretty culturally void suburb, my best friend & I discovered most of our music by randomly browsing at the one decent used record store in the area. Anything cheap with an interesting band name (this is how I discovered Camper Van Beethoven), cover art (how I discovered New Order, and now I'm really starting to date myself), song title (how I discovered The Pogues, and by the way these were all on CASSETTE TAPE), we would buy it. It was a fun way to shape my musical taste.

It can also lead to some regrettable purchases, but hey, that's part of the fun.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

I have many many ways. They all revolve around what I like. I can almost root all my music back to some single source. But the format all ends up getting dug up on the net.

1. I will discover something I like either from a friend, a game, a radio station (Either net or real), or movies

2. I immediately find the artist, and find a list of their discog and albums. Anything the artist has a name on I take a look at. I'll look at previous aliases, or even root other memberships in other bands and figure out what they did in the past.

3. Download either that album or discog that I heard the original track from. If I heard music on a movie or game this also helps me find other artist. Repeat 1-3.

4. If the music is electronic, head out to Soulseek, Discogs, and beatport and look at nearly anything they touched (Basically hunting down other artists they worked with). Repeat.

5. Profit.

Akhel

Postby Akhel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Mostly through recommendation. I find "What are you listening to?" threads and such very useful to find new music I like. :)

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:46 am UTC

I've found new music from this forum and from a CD my brother put together.

midnightvignette

Postby midnightvignette » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Pitchfork's forkcast is a good RSS feed of stuff, I usually just scan through the new music stuff to see if there's anything worth picking up on. Their new music recommendations are always good as well. Otherwise I'll flick through Plan B magazine, go to random gigs (better for Cardiff/Newport stuff really - Gindrinker & Lt Meat FTW!), ask friends what they're listening to... I don't really know what blogs to look at if I was to be honest.

GKZ

Postby GKZ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

I wake at the crack of dawn and seek the feeding grounds of the famed New Music.

Then, with a high powered mainstream rifle, I destroy the creativity of the artist. Leaving it to bleed credibility until artistic death.

aquatoad

Postby aquatoad » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

Mostly recommendations from friends and a little research on the 'tubes (and, back in the stone ages, mix tapes from friends). Occasionally something from compilation albums, although I think Last.fm may have pounded the final nail into that coffin too. As eclectic and whimsical as my tastes tend to range, having a good source of 'similar artists to X' is pretty much indispensable for sorting wheat from chaff in a genre. From TV a handful of times tops in the last few years. And nothing from radio etc. in ~15 years or more.
Lots of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.
- Banksy

http://www.last.fm/user/aquatoad/

Aramis

Postby Aramis » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

Mostly the net. Also my friends. And TV.

airport_whiskey

Postby airport_whiskey » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:01 am UTC

SomaFM mostly...

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:18 am UTC

I choose my music by asking friends what they like, and stealing their collection. Most of my music was gained this way. That was before I had money.

Now that I do have money, I will often walk into a cd store, pick a random cd, and buy it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's like gambling.
Bakemaster wrote:DOGGIE STYLE IS THOUGHTCRIME-SODOMY

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:07 am UTC

Otters. they speak to me, about good music.

usually i go a hunting through myspace. a good bands page is like a wiki gold mine for finding similar music. 3 hours of fascinated clicking later i've gone from shoe gaze to industrial to acoustic indy rock. My dad and i talk music some times, and he usually has a few good suggestions, as does my Uncle. they convinced me to give Coheed and Cambria another shot and I'm really glad I did. Turns out they aren't nearly as bad as I remember them being.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

aquatoad wrote:Mostly recommendations from friends and a little research on the 'tubes (and, back in the stone ages, mix tapes from friends). Occasionally something from compilation albums, although I think Last.fm may have pounded the final nail into that coffin too. As eclectic and whimsical as my tastes tend to range, having a good source of 'similar artists to X' is pretty much indispensable for sorting wheat from chaff in a genre. From TV a handful of times tops in the last few years. And nothing from radio etc. in ~15 years or more.

what's so wrong about last.fm? The radio is awesome.

Also, I found out about the brian jonestown massacre because Dig! was showing at my uni. When I found out I could download (mostly) all their stuff for free.... I did!

(I recommend the Diane Perry tape). (EDIT: link doesn't work. I don't know what happened, it redirects to a completely different site. You can still buy their mp3s there, but its not the same. whisper it - I think they sold out. well, not really, but I didn't expect that.)
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

aquatoad

Postby aquatoad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:what's so wrong about last.fm? The radio is awesome.

I may not have been as clear as I could have been... I meant to say that last.fm has replaced my pre-intertubes tactic of looking for compilation albums to expand my horizons in a given genre of music.
Lots of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.
- Banksy

http://www.last.fm/user/aquatoad/

Return to “Music”