Most Overrated Artists/Songs

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
1337geek
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby 1337geek » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:51 am UTC

This is not a place to post music you hate. I'm not trying to say any of this is bad music, just overrated. For example, I like the Beatles. They had a lot of good songs. But some people think they're the best thing ever, which is just silly.

Here's my list, what's yours? Remember, don't rate because of quality, rate because of difference between quality and often-perceived quality.

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
"Freebird"
Jack Johnson
Green Day
Bob Dylan

These are just the ones off the top of my head; I'll probably add more later as I think of them.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

User avatar
red artifice
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:07 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby red artifice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Bob Dylan. pretty good songwriter, horrible singer

User avatar
socynicalsohip
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 am UTC
Location: Satan's Layby

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby socynicalsohip » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

90% of Weird Al's songs are rather unfunny in imho. *stamps as overrated* NEXT!
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

User avatar
idont_know12
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:11 am UTC
Location: The East Galaxy

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby idont_know12 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Black Sabbath.

SomeoneElse
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 pm UTC
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby SomeoneElse » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Thank god, I thought I was the only person in the world who thought of Bob Dylan as being completely overrated. What the crap is Like A Rolling Stone, and how on earth do people regard it so highly - above so many better and more revolutionary songs?

I agree with the rest of the above too, with the exceptions of Pink Floyd (although a fair proportion of their output was dogshit, dare I say, DSOTM deserves all the praise it gets), and Weird Al (ok, he's also come up with some stinkers too... but a lot of his stuff is brilliant, as is his underrated movie.)

Apart from those... Coldplay, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Oasis. They've all had good and/or outstanding songs/albums, but seriously.

User avatar
asanisimasa
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:43 pm UTC
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby asanisimasa » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

Nirvana.

And yeah, I agree with most of the above.. especially The Beatles.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

User avatar
ChocloManx
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Santiago, Chile (nofewdjokezplz)
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

Metallica and punk as a genre.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

User avatar
1337geek
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby 1337geek » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:10 am UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:Thank god, I thought I was the only person in the world who thought of Bob Dylan as being completely overrated. What the crap is Like A Rolling Stone, and how on earth do people regard it so highly - above so many better and more revolutionary songs?

I lost all respect for Rolling Stone magazine when they put "Like a Rolling Stone" at the top of their 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list. (And they put a song by the Rolling Stones at #2... do we think there's any name bias going on?)

SomeoneElse wrote:Weird Al (ok, he's also come up with some stinkers too... but a lot of his stuff is brilliant, as is his underrated movie.)

True dat. Weird Al is underrated, if anything. He and his band are extremely talented -- they play all of their parodies by ear. And contrary to popular belief, he doesn't only do parodies -- half of his songs are original compositions. And yes, UHF is actually a quite good movie.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Weird Al is underrated because none of his songs besides the famous ones get heard by anyone. (Also, his name gets diluted because some people think "ah, this mp3 with no tags is a parody. must be weird al".)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
King Dude
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:18 pm UTC
Location: My house :P

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby King Dude » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

I agree with The Beatles, Green Day, and The Rolling Stones. They're great, but a bit over rated.

Personally, Queen is good, but I think they're overrated as well.

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

The Beatles (I'm agreeing on this one)

Dragonforce
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
Various Varieties
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Various Varieties » Thu May 01, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

People who think The Beatles are overrated should really go and read Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head. Image It really is a superb bit of analysis - of both the music itself and the surrounding historical context - but it's not a dry and stuffy academic work. (And it's also far from a blind fanboy rant - MacDonald wasn't afraid to express some negative opinions about certain beloved songs.)


...Just a recommendation, for next time you happen to browse the music books in the library. :)

User avatar
Zero
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:08 am UTC
Location: Lisbon
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Zero » Thu May 01, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

Pink Floyd overrated? Why the hell? Oh my...

Anyway i'll go with Klaxons. They are an indie band and have gathered a huge legion of fans in a short time. Their music is so shitty, it's just some banal rock song and 18367523 electronic layers to make it sound super-b but fails hard, i think it makes it sound super-faggy. And they suck hard at live shows.

User avatar
Pobega
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:50 am UTC
Location: Staten Island, NY
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Pobega » Fri May 02, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Coheed and Cambria. I don't understand how anyone could possibly enjoy the singer's voice, to me it's a headache on a compact disc.

User avatar
lazarus89
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:22 am UTC
Location: God's Armpit, USA

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby lazarus89 » Fri May 02, 2008 3:58 am UTC

I agree with everything in this thread except for Nirvana. They had a visceral power that no one else has come close to matching since.

My own addition: Belle and Sebastian.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby no-genius » Fri May 02, 2008 10:31 am UTC

lazarus89 wrote:My own addition: Belle and Sebastian.

Explain yourself. (I'm going to ass-ume you've heard Tigermilk and just stare blankly in disbelief.)
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
Themata
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:09 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Themata » Fri May 02, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

Lamb of God

SomeoneElse
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 pm UTC
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby SomeoneElse » Fri May 02, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Pobega wrote:Coheed and Cambria. I don't understand how anyone could possibly enjoy the singer's voice, to me it's a headache on a compact disc.

Yeah, the singer's voice is pretty annoying actually... but apart from that I quite like their music. I wouldn't really call them overrated though, as they aren't even particularly popular, relatively speaking - you just don't like them.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby no-genius » Fri May 02, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

And actually, I dispute the Dylan-bashing. Young people today got no respect.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:26 pm UTC
Location: The Land Beyond Beyond (Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby kellsbells » Fri May 02, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:And actually, I dispute the Dylan-bashing. Young people today got no respect.

From a young person: the Dylan-bashing is definitely grating on my nerves too. I love Bob Dylan! I don't understand how people can say he is overrated.

However, I definitely think Fall Out Boy is vastly overrrated.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

User avatar
BobMacDhonnchaidh
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:13 pm UTC
Location: Glasgow, Scotland (Not England)

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Fri May 02, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Phil fucking Collins
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

User avatar
tday93
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:07 am UTC
Location: Surf City, CA no, seriously, we own the trademark (suck it Santa Cruz)
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby tday93 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:42 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

The Beatles (I'm agreeing on this one)

Dragonforce



the reason the people regard led zeppelin as overrated is because of that one sonq

even robert plant admitted that he hated it

to know true led zeppelin listen to white summer/ Black Mountain side, and the lemon song. They (the band, not the songs) are enormously talented.

As for overrated: Angels and Airwaves, The All-American Rejects, Gnarls Barkly, Matchbox Twenty, Avenged Sevenfold, to name a few...
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." -Eric Clapton

User avatar
ChocloManx
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Santiago, Chile (nofewdjokezplz)
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby ChocloManx » Sat May 03, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Phil Collins was an excellent drummer with Peter Gabriel-era Genesis.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Mathmagic » Sat May 03, 2008 5:09 am UTC

tday93 wrote:
mathmagic wrote:Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

The Beatles (I'm agreeing on this one)

Dragonforce



the reason the people regard led zeppelin as overrated is because of that one sonq

Which is why I specifically said that one song was overrated, and not the band itself. :)

tday93 wrote:As for overrated: Matchbox Twenty

Matchbox Twenty isn't even that popular, at least not anymore. And they're actually good!
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
Jack.H
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm UTC
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Jack.H » Sat May 03, 2008 6:32 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Metallica


These days, I think lots of people agree Metallica is rated quite justly.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

User avatar
Pobega
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:50 am UTC
Location: Staten Island, NY
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Pobega » Sun May 04, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:
Pobega wrote:Coheed and Cambria. I don't understand how anyone could possibly enjoy the singer's voice, to me it's a headache on a compact disc.

Yeah, the singer's voice is pretty annoying actually... but apart from that I quite like their music. I wouldn't really call them overrated though, as they aren't even particularly popular, relatively speaking - you just don't like them.


I don't know about England, but here in New York everyone my age loves them and they are constantly played on the radio. I often have to switch the station out of frustration (Come to think of it, Geddy Lee's voice sometime has the same affect on me, but I still like Rush)

SomeoneElse
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 pm UTC
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun May 04, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Pobega wrote:
SomeoneElse wrote:
Pobega wrote:Coheed and Cambria. I don't understand how anyone could possibly enjoy the singer's voice, to me it's a headache on a compact disc.

Yeah, the singer's voice is pretty annoying actually... but apart from that I quite like their music. I wouldn't really call them overrated though, as they aren't even particularly popular, relatively speaking - you just don't like them.


I don't know about England, but here in New York everyone my age loves them and they are constantly played on the radio. I often have to switch the station out of frustration (Come to think of it, Geddy Lee's voice sometime has the same affect on me, but I still like Rush)

Ach, fair enough then -- they're pretty unknown over here; I'm not in with the kids, but no one I know has really heard them. They're certainly never on the radio anyway.

johnie104
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:44 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby johnie104 » Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

U2
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

User avatar
BobMacDhonnchaidh
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:13 pm UTC
Location: Glasgow, Scotland (Not England)

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Sun May 04, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

johnie104 wrote:U2


Spot on son :wink:
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Silas
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Silas » Mon May 05, 2008 2:51 am UTC

The Grateful Dead. Maybe a dozen actually good songs (which, admittedly, is nothing to sneeze at), but they're remarkable chiefly for their drug habit.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

User avatar
lazarus89
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:22 am UTC
Location: God's Armpit, USA

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby lazarus89 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:33 am UTC

BobMacDhonnchaidh wrote:
johnie104 wrote:U2


Spot on son :wink:


Oh come now. Bono is an ass... but surely his music and his personality are disjoint?
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

timt
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:48 am UTC
Location: Kentucky, USA

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby timt » Mon May 05, 2008 4:54 am UTC

U2, Nickleback, Nirvana, metallica, actually come to think of it 99% of music that sees frequent radio play.

User avatar
Dusty Chalk
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 06, 2008 3:56 am UTC

I think there are two things: over-rated, and over-played. Stairway to Heaven is over-played; the Beatles are over-played;

The Rolling Stones are over-rated. Don't get me wrong, they've written some damn fine songs, but 90% of their catalog is "meh".
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

User avatar
hermaj
Posts: 6139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:37 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby hermaj » Tue May 06, 2008 5:43 am UTC

no-genius wrote:And actually, I dispute the Dylan-bashing. Young people today got no respect.


Young people today don't want their ears mauled by some guy who had two bottles of whiskey and some gravel for breakfast before deciding to attempt to sing some sort of drunken rambling about a war he wrote some time. Dylan songs are fine, but no-one ruins a Dylan song like Dylan.


I agree with Nickelback being completely overrated, and will (probably quite controversially) add Elvis Presley to the list.

User avatar
ChocloManx
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Santiago, Chile (nofewdjokezplz)
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby ChocloManx » Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Jack.H wrote:
ChocloManx wrote:Metallica


These days, I think lots of people agree Metallica is rated quite justly.


Actually, yeah you're right. :D

Also that Robert Fripp guy is hella overrated.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

User avatar
furthur
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 7:55 pm UTC
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby furthur » Tue May 06, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

i love zeppelin, but i think a lot of people are turned off by the near mythical status some people bestow upon stairway to heaven, which is a damn shame, because they've got so much good material and so much of it is different from stairway. same goes for pink floyd, damn fine band, but ask people to name an album and they'll say dark side of the moon or the wall. i bet most people have never heard meddle, obscured by clouds or more. all excellent examples of what the floyd got up to before they hit the BIG time, all quite different from the stuff they're best known for.

elvis
the beatles
nirvana

don't understand the attraction of any of these, i guess you had to be there.

User avatar
AlwaysRelated
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby AlwaysRelated » Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 am UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:
Pobega wrote:
SomeoneElse wrote:
Pobega wrote:Coheed and Cambria. I don't understand how anyone could possibly enjoy the singer's voice, to me it's a headache on a compact disc.

Yeah, the singer's voice is pretty annoying actually... but apart from that I quite like their music. I wouldn't really call them overrated though, as they aren't even particularly popular, relatively speaking - you just don't like them.


I don't know about England, but here in New York everyone my age loves them and they are constantly played on the radio. I often have to switch the station out of frustration (Come to think of it, Geddy Lee's voice sometime has the same affect on me, but I still like Rush)

Ach, fair enough then -- they're pretty unknown over here; I'm not in with the kids, but no one I know has really heard them. They're certainly never on the radio anyway.


I have their first three CDs. I was super addicted to them for a while, (eg, I have the first two CD's basically memorized) but I just kind of stopped listening to them. I enjoy them once in a while now. They're actually fairly talented musically, although not really that creative with their whole song titling thing :P The concept of telling a story through all of their albums is pretty sweet though. /digress

Waiting on the World to Change by John Mayer. I hate this song with a passion (IMO it's overrated and over played). Every other song of his I love, but I can't stand this one. It just screams "Look at me I'm apathetic!"
Image

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed May 07, 2008 12:39 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Young people today don't want their ears mauled by some guy who had two bottles of whiskey and some gravel for breakfast before deciding to attempt to sing some sort of drunken rambling about a war he wrote some time.
This one does. He puts on a great live show for his age, unintelligible as he may be.

In fact, this young person would take ten times the whiskey and gravel and listen to Tom Waits as well.

User avatar
Sarr
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Sarr » Wed May 07, 2008 2:36 am UTC

King Dude wrote:Personally, Queen is good, but I think they're overrated as well.


Explain yourself good sir, or I will have to challenge you to single combat!

Dragonforce
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

User avatar
Various Varieties
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Various Varieties » Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

furthur wrote:elvis
the beatles
nirvana

don't understand the attraction of any of these, i guess you had to be there.

...Or at least watched Yellow Submarine at the age of 4, as I did. :wink:


Now here's something I think is more deserving of the phrase "you had to be there" - Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures:

Image

I borrowed the album from the library recently, with all that recent revival of interest in the band with the recent films about them (Anton Corbijn's Control from last year and the more recent documentary about them). I listened to it several times, and although it's a good album, I don't see what's so mind-bogglingly brilliant about it.

Lovely cover, though!


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests