Vinyl

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

proof_man

Vinyl

Postby proof_man » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheAmazingRando

Re: Vinyl

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

A lot of hardcore bands have a lot of vinyl-only releases, especially splits with other bands, and I'm very interested in collecting them. Unfortunately, I don't exactly have the money to do so at the moment.
I do like vinyl a lot, though I probably wouldn't buy something on vinyl if I already had it on CD. I have the first Godspeed You! Black Emperor album on vinyl, but that's only because it's different than the CD release, and ends in a locked groove which I think is pretty cool.

ifni

Postby ifni » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Personally I own a fine total of 30 LPs or something, but a friend of mine has a much larger collection (in the hundreds something). If you have a good to great hifi-system, I prefer vinyl over CDs or any other digital format. Yes, FLAC may have better quality or whatever (I have most of my music in FLAC or other lossless formats), but there's just something about sitting in a good sofa with some good friends, a few crates of beer and listen to classic rock the way it was meant to be played that beat the digital "feel" of FLAC etc.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 am UTC

i have around a hundred vinyls. problem is, my speakers blew out a while back and now I need a system with that old "phonograph" input..
uhhhh fuck.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:51 am UTC

You can probably find a converter for very cheap, I know I have a few lying around my house.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:34 am UTC

My soul is made of vinyl. :D I do the whole hunting-through-bargain-bins thing, but I also buy shiny new vinyl when it strikes me. I have a reasonably modest collection (only about 50). The records I play the most would have to be M. Ward's "Post-War", the Incredible String Band's "5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion", Phosphorescent's "Pride", Animal Collective's "Sung Tongs", and the Strokes' "Is This It". That stuff just goes down like a creamy beverage.
There's a record store near me that has an entire upstairs dedicated to old classical records for $1 each, so I poke around there a lot. I've discovered a bunch of cool, utterly forgotten classical guys this way (Balakirev and Rimsky-Korsakov, for example: crazy-cool pre-Bolshevik Russian pianists and composers).
My best bargain-bin finds: "Ella et Louis", a record made by Ella Fitzgerald and Louie Armstrong in Paris sometime in the early sixties. The interplay between Ella's silky, honeyed tones and Louie's muppet-esque growl is just one of the most entertaining and sweet things you'll ever hear. Also, a record of kickass Ravi Shankar sitar improvisations I got for 20 cents.
My most cherished viny is probably my Christine Fellows 7" of the (ridiculously amazing) song, "The Spinster's Almanac". The packaging is beautiful, only very few of them were ever produced, and it just generally exudes an aura of fragile preciousness.

I also find that vinyl makes you listen to the music more consciously than if it's just washing over you from the computer speakers. Besides that, of course, there's just the sound. All genres, to my ears, benefit from the spacious crackle of vinyl, but rock most of all. I mean, I loved Wolf Parade's "Apologies To The Queen Mary" even when I listening on crummy mp3's, but after I got it on vinyl, a whole new universe was added to the soundscape. The same goes with Built To Spill - on CD: really good, on vinyl: orgasmic.

Cheeveer

Postby Cheeveer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am UTC

I prefer vinyl over CD. Not because of the sound quality, but because of the feel. I rather buy music on vinyl too, I don't mind the higher price for newer releases. The problem is that know of only one store close to me that has vinyl.
My own collection isn't that big, my parents is though. I high-jacked my dads cool record (Traveling Wilburys, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper etc) and left the opera and Rod Stewart to him and mum. :P
Since then I've bought maybe 10-15 the last year or so. It's hard to find the stuff I like.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Unless you have a really nice setup, vinyl records will never sound as good as cd quality, and it then depends on if the band records with analog equipment - using a digital recording studio makes the whole thing moot.

I don't listen to vinyl records because of the quality, I listen to them out of necessity.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

TallMax, I was in a record store about a week ago, flipping through the punk/hardcore LPs, and I saw the album in your avatar. I thought of picking it up, but I didn't really have the money on me at the time, especially not for an album I only recognize by its cover art from an internet forum.

Would you recommend it(I'm assuming yes, since it's in your avatar), and does it have a non-vinyl release?

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

The album art is by Nick Blinko (the guitarist/singer/visionary from Rudimentary Peni), and the band is Iron Lung. Iron Lung is probably one of my favorite current bands right now, and the album is really really good. I'd even get it for the artwork alone.

http://www.myspace.com/prankrecords has a sample track, and if you google blog search you'll easily find the album in .... "legal" ways <_<

---
leonardo da vinci

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

And Prank has it both in cd and vinyl.

---
leonardo da vinci

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

They've got a great sound for a two-man group. I'll have to check it out.

Whim

Postby Whim » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

I've got a small but gradually growing collection of vinyl singles from the past few years. There's a record store near where I live that sells singles that are sometimes worth buying. It's a nicer way of finding out about new bands than donwloading. It only costs a few euro and you get a nice vinyl. And there are always lovely b-sides, giving you superiority over your friends.

In terms of albums, I've stolen my dad's Bob Dylan and classical music dominated collection but haven't got much of my own, apart from when I bought Funeral by Arcade Fire before they were cool.
Tried clicking my avatar?

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

So I *ahem* procured myself a digital copy of Sexless // No Sex and am quite impressed. I'll have to pick this up next time I go to the record store. Maybe on vinyl, so this post will be a bit more on topic.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

I used to have a good-sized collection of vinyl up until last year when I sold it in a yard sale. I had a lot of great and not-so-great albums: Pink Floyd, Bob Seger, Rod Stewart, Steve Miller Band, The Beatles, The Eagles, Elton John, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, among many others. I also had a lot of comedy albums like Jerry Clower, Firesign Theatre, George Carlin, Bob & Doug McKenzie. I had a few classical albums, as well as some Broadway soundtracks (most of them belonged to my parents - biological dad was in theater back in the late 70s), and some Christmas albums. One Christmas album I had had a pop-up scene. I used to take that, and tape up a small string of Christmas lights around it. A cheap, but pretty, Christmas decoration.

That's one of the things that make albums pwn CDs. They were big enough to have extra features. A lot of the labels included extra stuff with the albums. Some just had liner notes and song lyrics. Others had stuff like pictures taken of the band or artist at a concert, or a mini-poster of that artist or band. Some even came with other cool trinkets. The Beatles' album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" came with cut-out stand-up figures, fake mustaches, and iron-on badges. The Cheech and Chong album "Up In Smoke" came with a few large-sized rolling papers.

I remember going to the local flea market one time and seeing a few framed pictures hanging on the wall in one of the booths. The guy that was running the booth said he knew the people in them were the Beatles, but he didn't know anything else about them. I recognized the cover of the bass drum in Ringo's drum set, as well as their costumes, from the video for "I Am The Walrus." I told him they probably came from a booklet, or else came with the "Magical Mystery Tour" album.

I have a program installed on my PC that I use for blending songs from CDs from, if there are two or more songs that can be played together. The program was originally purchased for two reasons: first, it was advertised that I could record all my vinyl albums with it, and use it to clean up the audio by removing some of the scratches, hisses, and pops associated with vinyl; second, and I still use it occasionally for this, in relation to cleaning up audio, to clean up any recordings I get from any ghost hunts I do, for EVPs. The program has a video tutorial that shows you how to hook up the turntable using not a USB cable, but a standard RCA connector.
PRG

An important message for you:

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

The extra features can be pretty cool. I got the vinyl of F#A#∞ by Godspeed You Black Emperor! (before they moved the !) and it came with a few small posters as well as a Canadian penny that was crushed by a train.

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:The extra features can be pretty cool. I got the vinyl of F#A#∞ by Godspeed You Black Emperor! (before they moved the !) and it came with a few small posters as well as a Canadian penny that was crushed by a train.

Was it made of bacon?

I'm trying to find my old mom's old Vinyl player, but to no avail. I'm not sure if she has any good albums, but I may go buy one, just to be different.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Vinyl just amazes me... It seems magical how music comes out of that black disc with just a needle. I love it. I love how each disc has its own unique variations on the music - especially the older vinyl, since natural ageing warps it more in some places than others. I love the crackling, just because it reminds me of how ingenious the invention I'm using really is. And somehow, it makes the music more precious.

I buy vinyl for the old classics, in hopes that I can pretend I really was there in the 70s when Led Zep were a new band. It's sort of a nostalgia thing. I guess I just find vinyl very whimsical.

HiFiFoci

Postby HiFiFoci » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:30 am UTC

I only have a couple hundred LPs, ranging from Air to Zeppelin. (Kelly watch the stars ftw)I'm ashamed to say it pales compared to my cd collection. I should really start hunting again.
How do i carry the weight of the world? I shrug.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:16 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I buy vinyl for the old classics, in hopes that I can pretend I really was there in the 70s when Led Zep were a new band. It's sort of a nostalgia thing. I guess I just find vinyl very whimsical.

I have done this with a lot of the vinyl albums I had. I could easily picture my parents sitting in the living room with The Wall or Eye In The Sky playing in the background. Of course, a lot of the albums transport me back to my childhood, mainly those two, because I clearly remember my parents listening to them back then. I can clearly remember taking the album cover for Alan Parsons Project's Eye In The Sky, and tracing the Eye of Horus, which I would later outline with glitter-glue and color in. When I moved in with my grandma, I found a collection of vinyls that belonged to my parents, and among them was that album. The indentions made on the cover from my pencil were still there. As I ran my hand over them, I could easily see myself, 9 years old, sitting at the little desk I had in the corner of the dining room, laboring over tracing the image as perfectly as possible.

It was about this same time I had first seen the movie version of The Wall. I had even taken a tape recorder and recorded it as it was playing. I used to watch it almost daily, while staying at home during the summer. I wish I had kept the tape. One thing I remember from it is that it also recorded any sounds I made, like eating. I think there was one point where I slurped some tea and it recorded that.
PRG

An important message for you:

ifni

Postby ifni » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I buy vinyl for the old classics, in hopes that I can pretend I really was there in the 70s when Led Zep were a new band. It's sort of a nostalgia thing. I guess I just find vinyl very whimsical.

My point exactly. I don't really have the sound system to make vinyl sound better than CD in the pure hifi sense, but just that nostalgia feeling kind of redeems that I wasn't born in 1960.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:43 am UTC

*Reads the subtext of this subject*
Well I may as well be the first one to be honest; I collect vinyl because I'm extremely pretentious. I harp on about high fidelity despite so much ground leakage and so many crap cables on my setup that the interferance will destroy any percieved increase in depth of sound [ignoring the fact that most music recorded since the late seventies has been digitally mastered so that old chestnut flies out the window]. I'm the sort of person who has a guitar sat in pride of place in the corner of my living room despite only being able to play three or four songs [I don't for the record].

Sound like anyone you know?
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:03 am UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:Sound like anyone you know?

Let's be honest, sounds like everyone I know.

screech

Postby screech » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 am UTC

I have started to collect vinyl because my theory runs as such: Old bands did not have CDs, thus they designed their music for vinyl, thus it will sound better on vinyl. While this is probably flawed, I like the covers as well anyway.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

screech wrote:I have started to collect vinyl because my theory runs as such: Old bands did not have CDs, thus they designed their music for vinyl, thus it will sound better on vinyl. While this is probably flawed, I like the covers as well anyway.

True. And not just regarding sound. With some albums, the break between side A and B of the vinyl is crucial. The Velvet Underground's self-titled just doesn't feel right to me without a pause, a blink, a breath, and a slow record flip after "Jesus" and before "Beginning To See The Light".
There are some modern albums that I think have tried to have this little interval of personal reflection in the middle of the album despite being in the CD/mp3 age: Sigur Ros' "( )" has an unexplained gap of about 30 seconds in the middle of it, and the gaps between "Sawdust and Diamonds" and "Only Skin" on Joanna Newsom's "Ys" is more than 20 seconds, for (I would think) much the same reason.

socynicalsohip wrote:*Reads the subtext of this subject*
Well I may as well be the first one to be honest; I collect vinyl because I'm extremely pretentious. I harp on about high fidelity despite so much ground leakage and so many crap cables on my setup that the interferance will destroy any percieved increase in depth of sound [ignoring the fact that most music recorded since the late seventies has been digitally mastered so that old chestnut flies out the window]. I'm the sort of person who has a guitar sat in pride of place in the corner of my living room despite only being able to play three or four songs [I don't for the record].

Sound like anyone you know?

I listen to vinyl because I love music, and because it brings me great joy.
Stop judging people.

HiFiFoci

Postby HiFiFoci » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:I listen to vinyl because I love music, and because it brings me great joy. Stop judging people.

You are judging him. He even states that he's pretentious, and takes a side to laugh at himself in the post. One gains a feeling of pretentiousness on any subject when they encounter people who aren't as serious on the subject. I'm glad that you love music, but don't discriminate music lovers.

And to add to your record, I do place what many consider to be too much emphasis on music, but my guitars sit hidden in the basement XD
How do i carry the weight of the world? I shrug.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

I listen to vinyl because I love music, because it brings me great joy and it proves that I am better than everyone else....ever.

Cheer up mate I was just being sardonic.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:I listen to vinyl because I love music, because it brings me great joy and it proves that I am better than everyone else....ever.

Cheer up mate I was just being sardonic.

Ah, the plight of people who are serious about some things. :-P

Perhaps it was a misinterpretation of your original post, I felt like you wrote it not as yourself, but in the voice of an assumed character designed to reflect the other posters in this thread in a quite nasty way (saying "hey - I think the things you guys think and I'm a jerk", while you don't actually think those things, you know?). Reading it back, I realise that it could be interpreted as a lighter kind of sarcasm that included yourself in the ribbing, but it just didn't read to me like that at first.
Anyhow -
Best modern band to have on record = Brian Jonestown Massacre. Everything recorded on analogue equipment, most albums specifically designed for the format... good shit.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:Best modern band to have on record = Brian Jonestown Massacre.

I need to get me some of that. Was re-listening to some of their stuff yesterday, and I'd forgotten how good it was. Damn.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

In all honesty I rarely listen to any Vinyl I own more than once. Sometimes never if I allready have the album/single digitally. It's more of a collectable thing for me rather than an authentic listening experience. I went through a stage of recording everything so I could listen to it on the go but then my collection exploded and my time became a lot more valuable to me than spending a week doing nothing but record vinyl.
[sigh]

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:58 am UTC

I was introduced to vinyl about a year ago (I knew about it before that, of course, I had just had never listened to it) by one of my Dad's friends. He had a fantastic sound system and the difference between vinyl and CD astounded me. The quality wasn't much different, but the vinyl just had a different sound that I loved. I can only describe it as a "warmer" sound, similar to what I get when I record with a tube microphone and my Analog mixer. I also loved how collectable the albums were. I had never felt the need for any protection over a CD or its jewel case like I do for a record. Now I've started my own collection. I only have 3 albums so far though. :(

Edited for detail
Last edited by ponzerelli on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I have an archaeologist's eye for vinyl. Last summer, my dad (a musician himself, and a bit of a connoisseur) dusted off his old turntable and connected it directly to our modern sound system; we could be streaming from iTunes one minute, and then switch over to vinyl on a whim. We like a lot of 70s progressive rock around here, and the one I listened to most was The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

For me, the appeal is the bridge across time, like reading the first edition of an old book. It's the feeling that this is the source - this is how the music originally existed, and how people first experienced it, and I can connect to it the same way today that the last generation did thirty years ago, untainted by reception or reinvention.

Mind you, I don't think the quality's any better. As socynicalsohip mentioned, that's clearly a myth; anything that was digitally mastered will be most purely reproduced in a digital format, and anything that wasn't will, if it hasn't already, eventually degrade so much that even the "distorted" digital conversion will be the closest you can get to the original.

And I hope no one here thinks that you can't get a pretty mindblowing musical experience out of a digital system. Maybe you don't have to flip the disc or tend the needle anymore, but let me tell you: with a good room-sized speaker system, total immersion is not difficult. It just takes a bit more willpower to sit down and play it. I'll never forget the five-minute dead silences after my friends and I listened to Michigan and Leaders of the Free World. And that's to say nothing of albums specially mixed in DVDA 5.1 surround. That's an experience that vinyl could never have imagined. ;)

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Pros:
- Larger covers
- Well basically that the larger size makes them feel more valuable
- It makes you seem and feel cool

Cons:
- The degrading sound quality
- Harder to store (not that much of a problem)

I would love to collect vinyl, but being slightly OCD-ish, then I would want to give up CDs buy only vinyl. But not all albums are released on vinyl, so that would be hard. What I would love is if CDs disappear from the market and vinyl becomes the normal way to release albums again, and they come with a lossless digital copy of the music as well. Then I could buy the records for collecting and only listen to the digital files. But I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

I want to be able to record onto Vinyl, especially for this thing my friend and I are doing: covers of Russian pop songs. Is this impossible? (y/n) It would be fantastic, if improbable.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

OmegaLord wrote:I want to be able to record onto Vinyl, especially for this thing my friend and I are doing: covers of Russian pop songs. Is this impossible? (y/n) It would be fantastic, if improbable.

AFAIK, it's possible to get it printed on vinyl, but very expensive. I don't know the exact numbers, but it would probably be over 9000 1000 USD all in all, probably more, so it's not really worth it unless you're really serious about it.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Which we are not.
Oh well. Maybe one day.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Just got Watershed by Opeth on vinyl!!!!!
Fucking great, me and a friend are going to listen to it together.

Anyway, I have a smallish collection that is mostly composed of random LPs that I got for the sake of having a collection, so there are only a few that I really like. I really need to get out more and look for records that I will like...

The great thing about vinyl for me is the feeling it gives you. The case itself is s work of art (as compared to squinting at a tiny picture on a CD), and it has some weight to it. Big printed lyrics, often a big insert, and the weight of it makes it feel more real. Overall, it just feels more wholesome, and closer to the real thing (live music).

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:26 am UTC

Found a mint copy in of the Black Sabbath - Paranoid LP (a reissue) a few days ago for a quid!

Score

someguy

Postby someguy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 am UTC

proof_man wrote:does anybody prefer vinyl to other formats? why? bragging about your collection is encouraged.

Yup, I dose.

I've only recently started buying the odd 45, I guess I'm more of an album person, but I've had LPs going on 10 years now. My most cherished 45 I suppose must be a Francoise Hardy four-song EP which I chanced upon after years of having an MP3 of one of the songs on it and loving it. Didn't even know it was out on its own until I found the 7" at a flohmarkt in Germany for like 0.50€, new. I was flippin' out right there.

I'm in the midst of a protracted trans-continental move right now so most of my LPs are back home, but I've already bought a few here; most of them used, lovely German pressings of Joni Mitchell's Blue, Miles' Kind of Blue, a whole lot of Van Morrison stuff from the '70s and a couple of later Jacques Brel titles which are just the sh#t; but also a couple new ones: Sarabeth Tucek's s/t debut from 2007 and Nina Nastasia's On Leaving. Right now I've my eyes on some Brian Jonestown Massacre, too.

Back home I have Elliott Smith's s/t and Either/Or albums, Cat Power's Moon Pix, both Neutral Milk Hotel albums, older stuff like Dylan reissues, the last two Stooges albums, a bunch of older jazz stuff ('Trane, etc.) and some classical.

Oooh, wait and also the mono vinyl-only edition of the Pumpkins' Adore and the lim-ed Mellon Collie 3LP set! I found that last one at a closeout bin, incredibly enough. I also have the first three Velvet Underground LPs, though I should probably replace the first one as I've kind of... well wore it down I guess :oops:. Uh, also Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Colour of Spring, an original UK Beggars' Banquet pressing of Gary Numan's Telekon...

I'm absolutely in love with the format, and I love playing records for my friends. One of them couldn't understand why my LPs didn't sound all crackly... :roll: 'I thought they always did that!'.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

someguy

Postby someguy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:12 am UTC

Dingbats wrote:Cons:
- The degrading sound quality

While I am aware that physical contact/friction between the stylus tip and the vinyl does wear both of them down minutely with each play, in reality this won't be a problem if you make sure that the stylus is clean, that the turntable is set up properly, and... not much more, actually.

That and proper record handling, and maybe investing in a few good-quality inner sleeves, will make your collection outlast you in pristine condition.

I would love to collect vinyl, but being slightly OCD-ish,

Vinyl made me OCD-ish :?.

What I would love is if CDs disappear from the market and vinyl becomes the normal way to release albums again, and they come with a lossless digital copy of the music as well. Then I could buy the records for collecting and only listen to the digital files. But I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

That is actually kind of happening to a degree. A few of the last LPs I bought came with a coupon for a free digital download inside. And with digital downloads eating away at the already-tired CD market, well...
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Return to “Music”