Coheed and Cambria

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

roleplay

Coheed and Cambria

Postby roleplay » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:45 am UTC

I'm mostly just curious to see how meny people on here like or have even heard of this band. I've liked them for a long time but recently I've gotten a lot more into them because of the release of their new album. I showed them to Winston and he seems to like them also.

A lot of people talk a lot of crap on them because the lead vocalist has an abnormally high singing voice. The way the play is phenominal in my oppinion and I don't think it would work with any other bands.

If you haven't heard of them they are a 'concept band' Which means their songs tell a story. I don't really know much about the story because I haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet and I am too lazy to go out and buy the comic books/novel that is out for them.

Sample music :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w6lzeormF9M
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DE2e2Gf8N ... re=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wCZMqx3Pd ... re=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bvH-70bY2 ... re=related
All Roleplayers are invited to join

Sanctuary1

Re: Coheed and Cambria

Postby Sanctuary1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:10 am UTC

I like them, and downloaded the album with "Welcome Home" on it, after playing it on Rock Band. I'm enjoying it.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Yeah, I've heard of them a few times, they're just the best band ever.
But yeah, I'd been watching their music videos on youtube when I picked up In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 used at a music store. That's when I realized they're the best band ever.

Now I have two of their albums and I'm working on getting the other two. I also bought the first volume of the Amory Wars(their comic book). It was pretty boss. I highly recommend it.

From what I've heard of all their music In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 seems to be their best album.

This is their best song- http://youtube.com/watch?v=UHClrRN37l4

I know, I'm sorry about the video being a naruto AMV. That's the only album version I could find on youtube. It's worth it though.

I'm going to see them when they go to Jannus Landing in August. It's going to kick ridiculous amounts of ass. I'll post pictures.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

benbw

Postby benbw » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

I have a bit of a mixed opinion of Coheed and Cambria. I like the band, but I can't stand Claudio's singing. Welcome Home is the only song I can really listen to without mentally flinching at several points during the song. Of course, I've only listened to No World For Tomorrow(the album) and 5 or 6 other songs, so maybe I could actually like it.

ReynoldsWrap

Postby ReynoldsWrap » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:47 am UTC

No disrespect towards them, you listen to them and enjoy them, and that's perfectly all right with me. However, I do not enjoy the tone of his voice, not so much the pitch, but how he sounds... IMO it's like hearing the vocalist for the Styx out of context, that voice belongs in that band for me and it just won't work well with C&C. >.<

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:34 am UTC

I heard of them. In fact I know someone who adores them on the fora. XP. However, from what I heard, it's preeeeetty good music, but the vocals throw me off a lot. It does feel a smidge misplaced. I prefer other bands. But these guys aren't half bad. ^-^;

fusillade2

Postby fusillade2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:34 am UTC

They headlined the first rock show I ever went to. I really enjoy their first two albums. I can't get into the latter two.

willwithskills

Postby willwithskills » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 am UTC

I really got into them when I heard Welcome Home on Rock Band. That song is really epic. Unlike most people here, I like the voice style, because it kind of reminds me of Rush. He can really be an excellent singer, especially in this song that came with one of the albums I purchased. The volume is low, so you'll have to turn it up.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?

grim heart

Postby grim heart » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:06 am UTC

When they released their first album I slept on them because someone told me the vocalist sounded like Davey Havok without balls. Then after a time I decided to listen to them myself and form my own opinion, and I've been a fan ever since!

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Yep. I love God Apollo 1. Listened to them for a good few years now.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:46 am UTC

I used to like them a lot, but my opinion has slid quite a bit recently. I got really into them about a year before they released Good Apollo 1, but when that album came out I wasn't too impressed by the direction they were headed, and I'm really not a fan at all of their most recent album. I saw them in concert with Blood Brothers, Dredg, and mewithoutYou a bit after IV came out, and they put on a very entertaining show, but it seems that I like them less every time I listen, and when I do listen, it's to SSTB or IKSOSE. I just feel like they got a lot more poppy and glossy, where SSTB was more lo-fi, and IKSOSE was just the right halfway point.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

Despite the recommendations of several friends, I can't seem to enjoy any of their songs aside from Tenspeed and Welcome Home. I think that the vocals work well, in my opinion; they just don't do anything for me. Oh, and I can't help from mentally likening them to Fall Out Boy trying to play modern prog.

Snoochies

Postby Snoochies » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 am UTC

I don't know much of their music beyond "The Suffering" and "Welcome Home" (which is one of my all-time favorite songs), but they did a cover of Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" on a CD put out by Kerrang Magazine. The CD was of 15 bands doing Maiden covers, and Coheed's was among the best on there! They play "The Trooper" at a lot of their live shows, too. But seriously. It's an awesome cover!

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:10 am UTC

Personally, I think their best songs are Delirium Trigger and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth, off their first and second albums, respectively. I also think, with a few exceptions, that just about anything on either of those albums is better than just about anything on IV:1&2.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:48 am UTC

Who hasn't heard of them? They're hardly the torch carrying bastions of underground culture.

In my opinion there are a few rousing power-pop anthems however I struggle to listen to an album end to end due to the 'balls in clamp' vocals. The popular numbers are quite good for dancefloor filling due to their sing along qualities.

To summarise nice enough band, could be a lot worse but could also be alot better.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

pipboy

Postby pipboy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Personally, I think their best songs are Delirium Trigger and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth, off their first and second albums, respectively. I also think, with a few exceptions, that just about anything on either of those albums is better than just about anything on IV:1&2.

I agree comlpletly! A friend of mine in grad school got me into them and those were the first songs I heard -- I was hooked!

Detritus

Postby Detritus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Personally, I think their best songs are Delirium Trigger and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth, off their first and second albums, respectively. I also think, with a few exceptions, that just about anything on either of those albums is better than just about anything on IV:1&2.

I bought IV: 1 first and really liked it, but then I got the first two and yeah I know what you mean. Haven't listened to the most recent yet. Is it still worth buying?
Then I thought, "Man, I should have just said 'yeah.' "

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

fusillade2 wrote:They headlined the first rock show I ever went to. I really enjoy their first two albums. I can't get into the latter two.

QFT

Everything after In Keeping Secrets besides Welcome Home was terrible. The story, however, improved.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:39 am UTC

I used to think the same thing, but I really really highly recommend giving Good Apollo I'm Burning Star 4: 1&2 another listen. At first I wasn't digging the new sound too much but it really grew on me. After listening more, I think No World For Tomorrow Might is just as good, maybe better than In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:46 am UTC

I listened to IV:1 pretty extensively when it came out, and for a while it was my favorite album of theirs. I still like a few songs off of it, and they were awesome to see performed in concert, but I prefer the sound they had before.

wookaru

Postby wookaru » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

They used to be my favorite band - Ive seen them 5 times since 2003. And I love Claudio's voice. Its definitely different, but I fell in love with it after hearing Everything Evil for the first time.

But, I really can't get into the newest album the way I could with SSTB and IKSSE:3. I think a lot of it has to do with the new drummer. Josh Eppard quit after Good Apollo was released and they got Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters fame to play on the album. Don't get me wrong, I love Hawk in some Foo Fighters action, but it really changes the feel of the rhythm section on the new album. I also feel like Claudio has started to focus more on the story than the music, and its taken away from the song writing a little bit.

Still, IKSSE:3 is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Hey Everybody,

Happy Holidays and all that. We know you have been waiting patiently for Coheed info for 2010, so we hope this fills your hunger for now:

Our new album will be titled, “Year of the Black Rainbow,” and is set for release in April 2010 and will be followed by a headline tour of the US, and then on to Europe and the UK for festivals and such.

As most of you know, the new album will be the “Origin Story” or “The Prequel,” and likely the final story of the ongoing concept story of “The Amory Wars”

With “Year of the Black Rainbow,” we will be releasing a deluxe package that includes a NOVEL OF THE SAME NAME. Not a graphic novel, but a full 300+page prose novel, which will tell the origins of Coheed and Cambria, and much more. There will be no mystery to this story, you will be able to explore it like never before. Presales will start near the end of December, exact date and pricing to be announced soon.

Producing this record is:
Atticus Ross http://www.ninwiki.com/Atticus_Ross
And Joe Baressi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Barresi

They have helped us evolve our sound to be more powerful and dynamic than ever and we think it’s definitely our best work to date.
Some song titles are: “Here We are Juggernaut,” “The Broken,” “Pearl of the Stars,” and “Guns of Summer.”

Co-writing the book with Claudio is Peter David http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_David

The album will be released through Columbia Records/Sony in North America. For the rest of the world, Sony has licensed the rights to Roadrunner Records, who we feel will better make our music available in those territories, and opening up the potential for us to come to countries we rarely or never have been to before. We are very excited.

Can’t wait til you can experience it.
Peace, Co&Ca

Anyone else amazingly excited by this? Also: NOVEL. Graah.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Return to “Music”