Music you grew up with - Music You'll always love/hate

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ACU-LP

Music you grew up with - Music You'll always love/hate

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

I couldnt find a thread for this, might just be me, but all the same;
What is the music you grew up with? Do you still enjoy it? What music will you always love?

For me, I will always love Linkin Park (Pre Minutes to Midnight); I grew up when it was very popular, when I travelled some of America and Europe, it was one of the few cd's we always had. Its just sort of become a way to reminisce (spelling?). Favourite album; Hybrid Theory. It even sounds cool (i.e. the name itself).

I know I'll make a few enemies, but Lionel Richie and Abba are some of my most disliked because they are so grossly overplayed and my brother who was older than me and in the same room (and my sisters next door, and my parents etc) were all obsessed with playing it whenever they could.

So what do you like/hate, why? What did you grow up with?
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Asmodieus

Re: Music you grew up with - Music You'll always love/hate

Postby Asmodieus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

Im growing up with Fall out Boy and Teddy Gieger and stuff
and even though i would like to post a long rant about how they are destroying the music industry i like a lot of the pop music, and radio music they play these days
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

protocoach

Postby protocoach » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

There's a special place in my heart for the songs from "The Music Man", despite not having watched it in a decade, and I still quote it from time to time (especially the poolhouse song) and I can still sing most of "76 Trombones".

I was also raised, to some degree, on the Beatles, bluegrass, and Johnny Cash, and I still enjoy all three of those, especially Cash.
If I were a Viking god, I don't think I would fall for that.
But if I were a Viking, that's exactly what I would do.

How can you study geometry and not believe in a God?
A God of perfect points and planes,
Surrounded by arch-angels and right angles

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

I was raised on classic rock because it was what my parents listened to, and it's really the only genre of modern pop music that I enjoy.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

Yeah, I was raised on classic rock, thankfully. Mostly stuff like the Eagles, Boston, and Kansas.

Also, the song "Entertaining Angels" by the Newsboys always gets me. So many memories...

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:25 am UTC

I thank "Weird Al" for introducing me into popular music.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Back when I was a small kid, I grew up with a lot of crap I don't listen to. The exception was ABBA. I still love 'em, even more now than back then, because I only listened to Eagle and The Visitors after I grew up.

From my teenage on, I raised myself with Queen. Still love 'em.

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:12 am UTC

I grew up with Queen (my brother) and Cliff Richard (my sister). Both are still oddly comforting. I still like Queen.

mady

Postby mady » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:03 am UTC

For me it was The Beatles, my dad was a huge fan and he played them all the time.

During my childhood whenever we used to drive in the car we had the soundtrack of Stand by Me on tape and listened to it during most road trips. I had never seen the movie until a couple of years ago and when I was watching it I had completely forgotten the tape in the car, and I started freaking out because I knew all the lyrics to all the songs in the film and I had no idea why (when I told my mum she cleared it up for me).

I think the first song that I actually decided I liked and wanted to listen to was And She Was by the Talking Heads.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I always grew up listening to oldies (as in the 1950s/60s/70s). The first CD I ever owned was a '60s rock compilation. (My second CD was Weird Al.)

I'll always love Weird Al, the Lion King soundtrack, and anything written by Jim Steinman. I'll always hate rap.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:27 am UTC

I picked up Chimaira's The Impossibility of Reason in my local library many years ago. Never grows old.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 am UTC

When I was a little thing, my older brothers were really into Oasis... even though they're pretty terrible, I'll always have a little cordoned-off, no-media-access area of my heart that loves them. ^_^

Oh, and my Dad used to have one (that's 1) tape in the car, for every roadtrip, and it was Bob Dylan.
So, naturallismo, I love Bob Dylan forevertime. I can't hear his 'bigger' songs like "Hey Mr Tambourine Man" without vivid impressions of the Australian outback, from the point of view of the window-seat of an old Kingswood, conjuring themselves unsummoned into my brain.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:17 am UTC

When I was little, my parents were all about Queen/Elton John/The Rolling Stones/Led Zepplin, etc. I still love almost all of that stuff. My sister also had this obsession with 80s pop, so I liked that too.

Then I had that embarrassing stage when I liked Green Day and Avril Lavigne. They were kind of my introduction to modern music. Fortunately I found better things later and moved on to greener pastures in my music tastes.

But I still know the lyrics to like every Green Day song ever...
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 am UTC

1337geek wrote:I'll always love Weird Al, the Lion King soundtrack, and anything written by Jim Steinman. I'll always hate rap.

In reference to the Lion King soundtrack, is it just my uni common room, and sometimes home at which for no apparent reason we just break into the whole awimuwheyawimuwhey thing?

yeah....me and my peers are a little strange.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

tiny

Postby tiny » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 am UTC

I grew up with the radio on in the 80's, and (with some exeptions) can't stand popular 80's music. My parents also listened to German pop music along the lines of Nena and Pur, and although I used to like them as a kid I can't stand them now.

Childhood music that I'll always love is:
* Frank Zappa. The man's voice just... I don't know, it's fascinating that sometimes he sounds like he's about to barf, and the orchestration, melodies and lyrics... just great).
* Bob Dylan. The catchiest tunes ever and a singing style that'll never be copied ô.o
* Manfred Mahn's Earth Band. My dad had two or three tapes for road trips, and he'd play Manfred Mahn only when we were driving at night and my mom and siblings were asleep. I'll always have calm, drowsy, lonely holiday feelings when I listen to it.
* Rio Reiser, Udo Lindenberg and Hannes Wader. They're just fun.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

NoDirectionHome

Postby NoDirectionHome » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 am UTC

I grew up with far too much stuff that i'll always love, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Deep Purple, Neil Diamond, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Fleetwood Mac etc. Pretty much all of them are still up there with my favourite acts, my parents had pretty class music taste really looking back at it.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:Then I had that embarrassing stage when I liked Green Day and Avril Lavigne. They were kind of my introduction to modern music. Fortunately I found better things later and moved on to greener pastures in my music tastes.

I used to like Spice Girls. But then again, I was, what, 15?

(and amidst the garbage, there was a certain fondness for Men at Work. I love Men at Work as of now)

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

I think I love classic rock now because I grew up with it. My mom listened to nothing but it in the car, and I recall as a kid my parents having a lot of classic rock albums. I think my happiest memories center around Pink Floyd's album "The Wall." My parents played the hell out of that album. They also had the movie, which I watched every day during Summer Vacation one year. I remember recording it onto audio cassette, and then listening to it later on whenever I colored or drew at my desk we had in the dining room. I also remember taking the album cover for Alan Parsons Project's "The Eye In The Sky" and tracing the Eye of Horus, which I later colored in and outlined with glitter-glue.

I also grew up on 80s music, so of course just about anything from that decade I like.

The 90s were a bit of a hard time for me so some songs I liked from that decade, some I didn't. I didn't care too much for Nirvana. I think I liked the music of the mid-to-late-90s more than the early 90s. I'm sure if I heard any songs from the mid-to-late-90s I'd probably enjoy it.

I had a few Weird Al albums in the mid and late 90s. Most were on cassette, but later I got them on CD. "Greatest Hits" was my first one. I then asked my parents for a Weird Al album as well as a few others for Christmas one year. They bought me "Off The Deep End." I later bought "Alapalooza," followed by "Bad Hair Day" and "Running With Scissors." I may have to buy them again later on - I either sold them to a pawn shop or else threw them away (if they were cassette).

My parents were into alternative music as well as somewhat "weird" music. That's the way I put it back then. I remember whenever my parents and I went out for a drive, my dad would put on Deep Forest. Sometimes I can still hear it. Whenever I listen to the song I linked, I can almost picture myself in the backseat of our old Toyota Tercel, going down the highway.
PRG

An important message for you:

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

I grew up on Steely Dan, Paul Simon, Van Morrison, and The Beatles, and still love all of them. I later would branch out into listening to other stuff my parents liked, such as Elvis Costello, The Band, Bob Dylan, Talking Heads, and The Kinks. Currently, I'm a far bigger Elvis Costello fan than my dad ever was, and certainly more than my mother.

The three bands that introduced me to modern music were CAKE, R.E.M., and, yes, Green Day. Guess which two of those three I still like to listen to. Go ahead, take a wild stab.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Guy_At_A_Keyboard wrote:I grew up on Steely Dan, Paul Simon, Van Morrison, and The Beatles, and still love all of them. I later would branch out into listening to other stuff my parents liked, such as Elvis Costello, The Band, Bob Dylan, Talking Heads, and The Kinks. Currently, I'm a far bigger Elvis Costello fan than my dad ever was, and certainly more than my mother.

The three bands that introduced me to modern music were CAKE, R.E.M., and, yes, Green Day. Guess which two of those three I still like to listen to. Go ahead, take a wild stab.

Uh... I can't really guess which of the other two but one of them's definitely Green Day...

...Riiight?

(:P)
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:30 am UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:Oh, and my Dad used to have one (that's 1) tape in the car, for every roadtrip, and it was Bob Dylan.

I'm sorry to hear that. My dad's one tape was Johnny Cash. :)

ACU-LP wrote:In reference to the Lion King soundtrack, is it just my uni common room, and sometimes home at which for no apparent reason we just break into the whole awimuwheyawimuwhey thing?

My college suite will sometimes do Hakuna Matata, but we're more notorious for bursting into the Pokemon TV show theme song.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Delmieth

Postby Delmieth » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

I remember listening to Americana era Offspring at about the age of 10 or 11 in my friend's back yard and thinking it was the coolest thing in the world... From then on it was my favorite band along with Midnight Oil :oops:
souldelay wrote:I tried it on my campus and totally got busted for "inappropriate use of cookware"

I just want to know how the hell cakewaffles are inappropriate.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

tiny wrote:* Bob Dylan. The catchiest tunes ever and a singing style that'll never be copied ô.o

Never?

The Tallest Man On Earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtrDAHTLaU

Be awesome & they shall copy... :D

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

Man, got to be Blink-182
I just think that they define what Punk should be-they just had the best songs in the world, one of the best drummers (Travis Barker) and the funniest guys in the world! (Almost)

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 am UTC

I'll always have a very special love/hate relationship with Queen.

As for things I grew up with, the only thing I really ever remember my mum playing is Robbie Williams, and the Spice Girls. Both of these are not good. My step dad was very into the Offspring and Blink182, also not good, though I did appreciate the hits of Pearl Jam. My dad was always far more eclectic, as was his dad and my uncle. I think in the end it was these guys who moulded my first enjoyable strides into music, with Led Zepplin, ACDC, the Eels, Aphex Twin, and other fun things. Though nothing still accounts for why I love folk music so goddamned much.

nekolux

Postby nekolux » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:43 am UTC

I grew up with radiohead. Cause about the time when i started listening to music i heard creep and went totally crazy about it. I will never ever hate creep but the rest of pablo honey is 'meh' compared to their other albums. Fake plastic trees is another one you simply cannot get tired of.

Oh and i'll post on behalf of all portal players.... still alive :P

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:01 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote: Though nothing still accounts for why I love folk music so goddamned much.

Recessive trait?

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:26 am UTC

My parents had little to no taste in music while I was growing up. Dad can't tell you most of the songs from when he was growing up (he'll recognise them, but that's all) and Mum listened to Christian worship music (of the 80s megachurch style). Somehow I managed to go from very little outside music before age 13 (other than the two I said above) to near eclectic now. Yes. Eclectic. I don't mean I listen to both industrial *and* metal. I mean I listen to classical through metal, jazz through country, world, R&B, and even some drum and bass. Occasionally even pop (gasps!).

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

My parents listened to two things that I recall while I was growing up. One was Bengali folk music; I never got into that. The other was Qawwali (which my father listens to); that still remains one of my favorite genres of music. I still say Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan has the greatest voice of anyone who has lived.

While Qawwali is the only taste I "inherited" from my parents, the other thing I grew up with a lot was video game music since, well, I played a lot of games. Hence why the majority of what I listen to are either soundtracks or from OverClocked ReMix.

I also grew up listening to country, on account of being born and raised in Nashville. I do still like country (like any genre, you have your lousy songs and your good ones). But I don't regularly listen to it, so I'm not familiar with a lot of modern popular country. I remember George Jones and Garth Brooks (slightly older stuff, like The Thunder Rolls and Ain't Goin' Down 'til the Sun Comes Up) were some of my favorites growing up--still are, come to think of it. KF
~Kizyr

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

I remember the neighbor kid always listening to Blink-182 when I was growing up. I can't hate it now.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:12 am UTC

Since I can remember, I have played a game called Total Annihilation on PC. Now this game was IS exceptional. However, one of the things that made it so good was the mood generated by the music. None of this new-fangled rap/hard-rock/screamy/techno music you find in games now-a-days (though techno is kinda cool). It was classical music. Admittedly it was classic battle music, but classical all the same. I adored the soundtrack as I grew up, and it currently lies inside my mp3; brilliant for the train ride to uni.
The other cool thing about that game was that you could actually put the game disc in a cd player to listen to the soundtracks. Awesome.

The shame is though that its spiritual successor; Supreme Commander, has a good soundtrack, but nothing of the calibre of TA.

Seriously; check it out some time.

Some_Random_Guy

Postby Some_Random_Guy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Queen - We Are The Champions

That was the first song that I ever liked, and pretty much the only song until age 11, when I discovered the Beatles and AC/DC.
I don't like Haikus
I think that they're all stupid
Is this ironic?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

When I was younger my father didn't allow anything non-Christian into the house, so grew up on on Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, and Steven Curtis Chapman mostly. I still like some of SCC, some MWS, and I'm not a fan of AG.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Ah, yes. Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith...good times.

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:14 am UTC

My dad listened to a lot of Grateful Dead, Tom Petty and Blues Traveller, which are bands that I can stand and even find vaguely enjoyable at times.

And my mom was obsessed with Fleetwood Mac, a band I will always despise.

Penis

Postby Penis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

When you call my name its like a little prayer, I'm down on my knees, I wanna take you there
Last edited by Penis on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Qwake

Postby Qwake » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Dad and I still swap music: he gave me REM, I gave him White Stripes. He gave me Wilco, I gave him New Pornographers. I definitely credit him for the alt. country kicker I've been on recently.

On the other hand I generally have bad memories of Mom's music. She listen to James Taylor and Kenny G. all the time when I was growing up. I hate James Taylor.

And I'm fairly certain Kenny G. causes brain damage of some sort. I can't tell if it's just from the act of listening to it or just probing too deeply in your ear with a pencil. I think I started playing tenor saxophone and listening to deconstructionist jazz in rebellion against Mom's Kenny G.
If you expect a kick in the balls
and you get a slap in the face,
it's a victory.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

I grew up wit the 90's music. Britney Spears, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys....I don't listen to any of it anymore.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:57 am UTC

Pirate.Bondage wrote:I grew up wit the 90's music. Britney Spears, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys....I don't listen to any of it anymore.

As did I, and I liked it then. Then I went off it. Only recently have I returned to modern music. Ah the joys of radio; The Akmal and Cal show (now with Ed), it the only reason why I started listening. Akmal and his antics got me through high my last year of high school (a bit of comedy to brighten every day).

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

Pirate.Bondage wrote:I grew up wit the 90's music. Britney Spears, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys....I don't listen to any of it anymore.

That's not 90s music. That's more 2000s music. Those three talentless hacks didn't really make the scene until 1998/1999, so they don't count as 90s.

Here are some much better bands from the 90s:

Nirvana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQR-OsH0RQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oAF3UdSJ1k

Green Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5jlSmwpINU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xQjxTXAUw

Smashing Pumpkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2snP7rGP6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1N_qX_r4Iw

Oasis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAPtTS0TYtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3C7DECI0jU

Goo Goo Dolls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgIl0oeTKM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXfRjtsVeuY

Gin Blossoms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQhx4t1FmE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tXShNtyvRs

U2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEfSnjL0pd8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fBj2wsimvQ

Counting Crows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYN74ZW4k_E

Sheryl Crow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsWLQ4gl4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0hCKGAIqU

No Doubt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=welnlg3svTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygqew4RxIg8

Pearl Jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gskAeWgEExk

Stone Temple Pilots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xNyxc5VWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGbO-nVBaFo

Red Hot Chili Peppers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itinQJK2aJg

Alanis Morisette:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9yUVgrmPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXULfN77TQ

Natalie Merchant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vx3ndjsalw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHF2qQjnkI0

The Cranberries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHF2qQjnkI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogeV4mpx0Lo

There are several more good songs by the above. Just look in the "Related" box to the right. Thus concludes your education in "official" 90s music. Anyone who believes that Britney Spears, NSync, or the Backstreet Boys defines "90s Music" is very sadly mistaken. You shall hang your head in shame.

There are other good artists from that time period, but I can't really think of any. Most of the links I posted are to songs I recognize by them. There are several more, but I couldn't post them all.
PRG

An important message for you:

Return to “Music”