It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Pipe-organ music!

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I have come to two important realizations:
1.: Pipe-organ music is the most best music ever, and
2.: I know of only two awesome pipe-organ songs

So I am enlisting your aid in finding more. My contributions of which I spoke earlier are the obvious Toccata and Fugue in D Minor for Organ by J. S. Bach (BWV 565) (the Phantom of the Opera music, I am told: edit - I am now told it's not, but whatever) and the Ending Song of the game Aquanox(with vocals and other instruments too).

Don't just list any lame organ piece though, it has to be epic. I'm saying this because I just know someone will come here, and say "Oh, anything for the organ by Mozart/Bach/other dead people, it's all good.", when in fact most of the stuff is just meh. There's a reason all those great classical authors only have around 10ish truly famous compositions.
With that out of the way, go! Pipe-organ time!

P.S.: Seriously, how awesome are pipe-organs?

Edit: Lets expand this discussion to all organs, shall we?
Last edited by Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:21 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

0xDEADBEEF

Re: Pipe-organ music!

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:09 am UTC

I'm a big fan of pipe organs too. I used to willingly go to church with one of my aunts in Houston, because they had a pipe organ and a good organist.

If you're of the right age to remember them, the band Boston used to tour with a huge pipe organ. They played outdoor stadium concerts, and the organ wasn't amplified; it was loud enough for a stadium.

I hardly ever listen to them now, but in a 70's sort of way, they were damn good back in the late '70's.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Charles Ives - Variations on "America"; frankly, I think the band arrangement is better.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Organs are my favorite instrument. I like all kinds. Last year I bought a 1983 Kimball Moonglow electronic spinet organ for $25 at a thrift store. I'm so cool.

I also like the band Boston, as mentioned above.

I don't recall Bach's T&F appearing anywhere in Phantom. You're probably thinking of the theme song, "Phantom of the Opera" by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Spoiler:
ALW plagiarized this song from "Echoes" by Pink Floyd.

As for other great organ songs, I'm not sure. It really doesn't get more epic than Bach's T&F. (Frederik Magle's live recording is the one I listen to: LINK) I can think of some great songs that use organs, but none actually use a pipe organ.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

threepoint1416926dotdotdot

Postby threepoint1416926dotdotdot » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Personally, I like Mendelssohn's Wedding March and Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor.
Yay!
ImageImageImageImageImage

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

threepoint1416926dotdotdot wrote:Personally, I like Mendelssohn's Wedding March and Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor.

Ooh yeah, I forgot. Mendelssohn puts that pagan Wagner crap to shame (not to say Wagner didn't have a few good pieces). That's the one I want played at my wedding.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:30 am UTC

I'm quite fond of Bach's Prelude & Fugue in C Minor (BWV 546). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T89LCNoAI4M

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

just find an organ version of The Art of Fugue and stop listening to anything else for a few months/years.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

you are into the most awesome things: sam and max and the pipe organ

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:17 am UTC

I am condesed awesomeness, that is true, but I really can't find any exciting organ music, except for the 2 pieces I have. Other stuff has to be listened to live to be good. I might have to find a church with a decent organ to get my fix :(

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

DJ Shadow - Organ donor (includes drum and turn table)
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

I can't really help you there. I have a new job as the organist in my local church but I don't come across much of what you might call exciting. Clarke's trumpet voluntary is quite good though

wirehead

Postby wirehead » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

I want to build a self-contained 64' (or maybe just 32') stop. Solely to transport to places and scare the crap out of people.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp wrote:Toccata and Fugue in D Minor for Organ by J. S. Bach (BWV 565) (the Phantom of the Opera music, I am told)
1337geek wrote:I don't recall Bach's T&F appearing anywhere in Phantom. You're probably thinking of the theme song, "Phantom of the Opera" by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

I just found out that Bach's T&FinDm does actually appear in the 1962 movie version of Phantom of the Opera. If that's the one you were referring to, you were correct. Sorry.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:35 am UTC

Playing a pipe organ would be an awesome experience. So much sound, so much power at your fingertips (and feet). One day maybe...

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Can I mention other kinds of organs? Terry Riley's A Rainbow In Curved Air is pretty fucking epic. But I think it's a digital organ. Sounds like a pipe organ though.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

It's pretty awesome, but scary as well. On the first hymn I played no one sang so I had to play it through and start again. The organ I play is quite small but there's still a fantastic amount of power behind it.

AWA

Postby AWA » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Not exactly "more epic" than TaFiDm, but the Little Fugue in G minor is, I think, one of the more fun songs to listen to, as well as play.

kaitou

Postby kaitou » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Another one I always liked is Bach's Tocotta and Fugue in D min, BWV 538 "Dorian". Another fun one to play is the Pedal Exercises.

I haven't touched a pipe organ in years (even though I still have a two manual tracker keyboard sitting in the garage - just the keyboard, no case).

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

You're missing out, serenading the entire neigbourhood (including my piano teachers house) is pretty awesome. Makes me want to go and practice now actually

Phill

Postby Phill » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

I can't believe no-one has mentioned Widor's Toccata. It gets played at a lot of weddings. Widor wrote loads of organ music but that is one of the best-known of them... great piece (it's actually from a symphony I think, but if you Google it you'll find the right one).

Also check out 'Toccata in 7' by John Rutter. Not quite Bach but I like it :)

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

I'm quite certain it's cheating, but "Intervention" by the Arcade Fire features a bunch of pipe organ (along with traditional rock instrumentation, plus Arcade Fire-style flourishes), and they play a pipe organ when they do it live (no copping out and just using a keyboard).
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Kow

Postby Kow » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 am UTC

http://www.notontheguestlist.com/Thedec ... ughter.mp3
Only recording I could find of the original track from the album. Youtube only had crappy live recordings, and while it IS better live, the videos do them no justice at all.

The Decemberists - The Landlord's Daughter (part of a 3 part single track song).

Also, Bomb the Music Industry has some organ in some of their songs. If I can find anything, I'll be sure to edit this post or reply later.

Edit: I can't, for the life of me, find a song with defined organ. Could have sworn there was one.
EditAgain: I found one finally. http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/qur004/006.mp3 (BTMI proudly puts all of their music online for free downloads)

Beacon515L

Postby Beacon515L » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Widor aside, this thread is exhibiting a severe lack of French Romanticism. A piece comparable in fame to the Toccata is the Maestoso from Saint-Saen's Symphony No. 3 (aptly titled 'Organ,' although the eponymous instrument only features in two of the four movements, for some reason), known to most western audiences as the basis for the opening titles of the film Babe. But Saint-Saens aside, the man the thread really needs is Francis Poulenc, and particularly his works from the last thirty years of his life. Of all of these, I would have to set aside one of my personal favourites, and a piece I almost consider by itself to be the soundtrack to my life - the seven-movement monster entitled Concerto en Sol mineur pour orgue, orchestre à cordes et timbales (Concerto in G Minor for Organ, Strings and Timpani - though the best recordings on youtube are found by searching the French title, and looking for the recording with Michael Murray as organist, IMO).

Also, I notice a severe lack of Wurlitzer. Theatre pipe organs are one of those great forgotten gems, and they are in fact one my chosen instruments (along with most other keyboard instruments). With some careful searching on Youtube, you can find theatre pipe organ arrangements of most any show tune or old-school music hall song, and I have even seen such wonders as Wurlitzer arrangements of the Zelda Theme (Mark Hermann is fantastic). Seek and ye shall find! X3

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Sometimes it's fun when people bump 2-year-old threads.
1337geek wrote:Wagner crap

Did I really write that? Wagner is cool.

I've also gone back to look at comments I've made on old xkcd comics. And thought to myself 'if that comic came out today I would never write that.'

JobbyJom

Postby JobbyJom » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:55 pm UTC

Bach's Toccata & Fugue IS the Phantom of the Opera piece, don't listen to naysayers. There are more than one versions of Phantom, not just the Lloyd Webber musical. It is definitely featured in the very cool sixties Hammer version featuring Herbert Lom.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

If you like post-impressionism, you can't go wrong with some Messiean. Also, another vote for Saint-Saëns' 3rd symphony, played at an unhealthy decibel level.

My two policies on organs:
1. If you can hear the singing, the wind chest needs more power
2. If the foundation is intact, you need more bass stops
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mtnwizard

Postby mtnwizard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:37 am UTC

Basically that is why the Pipe Organ is called "The King of Instruments"

It would be incredible what a JS Bach could do with the capabilities of today. Back then it was all "mechanical"
with levers from the keys to the pipes to let the air into each pipe so there was a physical limit to the size of the organ.
Today there is "electricity" to send the message so the size limit is the money available and the size of your building.

As a serious lover of Pipe Organ Music I would recommend listening to various recordings of the ones you like/enjoy.
Pipe Organs are different and also the building/church/cathedral/music hall. For a Pipe Organ the building is part of the instrument.

My Favorite Instruments are Aeolian-Skinner (Think St. John the Divine). The have a more Romantic, Symphonic, Blended and better balanced sound.
Ones like Casavant, touted as a Baroque sound - do not have the European quality and mostly sound like so many car horns.

Here are a few to try that may stir your blood: Louis Vierne "Final from 1st Symphonie," the "Jig Fugue" that Virgil Fox (which see - he is amazing) made
so famous by taking it on tour, and if full organ makes your heart pound and you want to try something wild, experimental, and "hard core pipe organ" and sadlly will probably be hard to find "Black Host" by William Bolcom (I got to hear it live on the Skinner Organ at Winthrop College and it will blow you apart!)

Return to “Music”