Post-Rock

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sam the Wizer

Re: Post-Rock

Postby Sam the Wizer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Kayo Dot and Irepress are the two "post rock" bands I'm most into lately. There are soooo many out there, but these two really stand out in my mind.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 am UTC

I just recently saw Pelican live. It was just in a bar, but the show was still awesome, perhaps even more awesome. Everyone was packed really close to the stage and speakers and the entire place was pretty small. They are really great live.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Bar shows can be incredible. I saw Kayo Dot in a bar and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Bar shows can be incredible. I saw Kayo Dot in a bar and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I caught Mia Matsumiya's other band Gregor Samsa twice in 2 days. Great stuff, check them out if you can.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

I already have both their full-length albums (in fact I think I recommended them early on in this thread), but I've never seen them live before. I don't know that they've ever played a show here, but I hope to see them eventually.

Sea Ferring

Postby Sea Ferring » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Post rock you ask? Godspeed You Black Emperor comes to mind firstly F♯A♯∞ is an amazing album as well as A Silver Mt. Zion Horses in the Sky is amazing.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:48 am UTC

The Japanese band MONO will be releasing their 5th album "Hymn To The Immortal Wind" in March. They'll also be playing with a 23-piece orchestra in New York City.

http://www.mono-jpn.com/sound/Ashes.mp3

The song they released is just fucking epic, like something out of a modern Chinese war movie. Nothing new, but huge nonetheless.

Torben

Postby Torben » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:53 am UTC

OCEANSIZE

Just trust me. I got hooked recently.
1101010111111110001111001111111 - tell me if you get it...

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

Torben wrote:OCEANSIZE

Just trust me. I got hooked recently.

IKNORITE

Seriously, Frames is just a godsend, a miracle of music. Also I'm trying to write Music For A Nurse into a piano+voice song.

Torben

Postby Torben » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

armandtanzarian wrote:IKNORITE

Seriously, Frames is just a godsend, a miracle of music. Also I'm trying to write Music For A Nurse into a piano+voice song.

Tell me how it works out? And yes, frames is possibly my 2nd or 3rd favourite album of all time...
1101010111111110001111001111111 - tell me if you get it...

Gamma Ray

Postby Gamma Ray » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

I very strongly recommend God is an Astronaut and Yndi Halda. That's some beauuutiful music right there.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Post rock is awesome. Most of my favorites have already been mentioned here they are again for emphasis:

Artist (Their best album)
Caspian (The Four Trees)
Crippled Black Phoenix (A Love of Shared Disasters)
Explosions in the Sky (The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place)
Giant Squid (Metridium Fields)
God is an Astronaut (God is an Astronaut)
Isis (In the Abscence of Truth)
Mogwai (Mr. Beast)
Mooncake
Pelican (The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw)
Red Sparowes (Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Sun)
Russian Circles (Both of their albums are excellent)
This Will Destroy You (Young Mountain)
Tortoise (Millions Now Living Will Never Die)
There aren't enough positive adjectives to describe how wonderful I am.
http://www.last.fm/user/Someguy1332

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Someguy1332 wrote:Post rock is awesome. Most of my favorites have already been mentioned here they are again for emphasis:

Artist (Their best album)
Isis (In the Abscence of Truth)

Oceanic is equally good, if not better.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 am UTC

ISIS albums ranked (in my opinion)

Panopticon >> Oceanic >> In The Absence of Truth >> Mosquito Control >> Celestial >> The Red Sea >> Sgnl>05

Though they're all well worth listening to.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:03 am UTC

I haven't really listened to much of their other stuff. Thanks for reminding me that I should.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 am UTC

I believe you left out Godspeed You Black Emperor's Life Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.

Seriously, one of the best albums ever.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:35 am UTC

Things that should have been mentioned that haven't yet:
UpC DownC LeftC RightC ABC + Start
The Evpatoria Report
This is Your Captain Speaking
Neil on Impression
Signal Hill

New bands/individual albums/eps:
iLiKETRAiNS - The Christmas Tree Ship
Standby Red 5 - And I Will Move the Earth

Also, post rock is an incredibly badly defined genre. As a genre it has a fair amount of name recognition and people end up applying it to all sorts of instrumental groups who aren't actually post rock (the prime example being 65dos, I think). Add that to the fact that post rock as a genre doesn't have well-defined and distinctive features, and things just get messy.

And then you toss in popular/genre defining post rock bands denying that they are actually post rock and the boundaries start fraying even more. I mean, seriously. Explosions in the Sky have said before that they don't consider themselves to be post rock, which just does not compute--they're one of the bands that I think many would consider to define post rock.

Also, The Silent Ballet is an excellent site for reviews of post rock and other instrumental genre releases.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:33 am UTC

What's up with post rock bands having either really terrible names or really amazing names?

teh_gurkerer

Postby teh_gurkerer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:26 am UTC

Kwoon, Frail, Alcest, Hypomanie, latest Trancelike Void EP could count. I'd place t.A.T.u. under it.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

I was recommended Soul of the Phoenix' album Release the Drones last weak. I enjoyed it.
Sounds like taking a tenstrip of acid while sitting on the beach of a distant planet while watching the entire universe collapse. you know, really loud and fucked up sounding but with moments of tragic beauty and melody or something. basically, the doomier the better.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

ariennette

Postby ariennette » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:25 am UTC

This Will Destroy You has been mentioned a couple of times, but not their self-titled album which I think is also worth a listen.
n/q/fc?

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Anybody heard Giant Squid's new album yet? I think it's quite good, but hasn't surpassed 'Metridium Fields' yet. Maybe another few listens will change that.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

My local used music store doesn't have much in the way of post-rock, so I just bought f#a# infinity online. Woah. I've listened to it like 10 times in the last few weeks, and could easily listen to it many more times. I quite like "A Beautiful Machine," posted here earlier somewhere. And not just because its free. However, free is always a good thing.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

a386

Postby a386 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:01 am UTC

oh Yndi Halda oh Yndi Halda how i love, their album "Enjoy Eternal Bliss" is one of my total total favorites.
I agree that this genre is fuzzily defined? Mogwai says often that they don't consider themselves post-rock, too. I agree with that self-assessment actually a little bit though, at least more than i do Explosions In The Sky's, considering i often use EITS to define post-rock to friends.
Man can i still not get over how good "Enjoy Eternal Bliss" is.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

If 65dos isn't post-rock, then what are they? Since I was given them as a benchmark for post-rock.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:If 65dos isn't post-rock, then what are they? Since I was given them as a benchmark for post-rock.

I've seen them put on the "Math Rock" league, along with Don Caballero and similar bands. Honestly, I think those stupidly named labels are pretty useless and mean almost nothing. It makes as little sense packing every instrumental rock band into "post-rock" (why not call it "instrumental rock" then?) as splitting them into bizarre, snobbish names like "math rock". Seriously, "Math rock"? That's as stupid as "Intelligent dance music"; and in fact, Don Caballero even explained that "label" was a joke, referring to a guy who'd jokingly pull out a calculator to "measure" how good their songs were. If you have to use a label to separate the more complex and spastic music of 65daysofstatic and Don Caballero from the more cyclical and repetitive music of Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor!, come up with better names, people.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:10 am UTC

Just because a band says "We're not *genre*" doesn't make it so. The bands don't really get to define the genre anyway. That's the realm of the listener. Besides, the Sex Pistols always denied being "punk" because it was a meaningless term made up by the media. Does that really stop anybody from calling them punk? For the longest time I felt that the surest sign of a band being emo was a band denying that they were emo. So, to a general audience "post rock" is as good of a genre as any to describe complex, wordless kinda-rock music.

Maybe so, maybe not.

Anyhow, I recently got a copy of All Of a Sudden I Miss Everyone. It's pretty good, but I just can't see myself getting too terribly into the whole post-rock vibe. I can't really explain my feelings on it, though.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:27 am UTC

Goatboy wrote:Anyhow, I recently got a copy of All Of a Sudden I Miss Everyone. It's pretty good, but I just can't see myself getting too terribly into the whole post-rock vibe. I can't really explain my feelings on it, though.

The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place may change your views on that, at least for EITS.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:45 am UTC

Man, I should never have asked, I'm going back to my 'labels are pointless' cave.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 am UTC

You pretty much mentioned everything I would say, short of Lakes of Russia. They're along the lines of Mogwai or Boards of Canada.

My favorite post-rock band is still Do Make Say Think. "You, You're a History in Rust" was eargasmic.

I dunno if you guys would call these bands post-rock (but I mean come on, talk about genres with blurry boundries), but I would strongly suggest Maps and Atlases and So Many Dynamos.

SMD: http://www.myspace.com/somanydynamos
M&A: http://www.myspace.com/mapsandatlases

Both are teriffic.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:28 am UTC

rustedneurons wrote:
Goatboy wrote:Anyhow, I recently got a copy of All Of a Sudden I Miss Everyone. It's pretty good, but I just can't see myself getting too terribly into the whole post-rock vibe. I can't really explain my feelings on it, though.

The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place may change your views on that, at least for EITS.
I'm in luck, then, as I've recently discovered a fair amount of EitS on my computer, TEISaCDP included. I've also got a few other things (65dos, Gregor Samsa, maybe more) that I downloaded a while back based on suggestions from this (or a similar) thread. I just have to pay attention to it.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:13 am UTC

While Explosions in the Sky are a good example of what post-rock is, they're probably one of my least favorite post-rock bands. They've got all the major trappings of the genre, but they also don't do anything particularly interesting. I liked them when I first heard them, but they don't have the depth or lasting power of bands like GY[BE!/!BE], who were really the pinnacle of the genre as far as I'm concerned.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:While Explosions in the Sky are a good example of what post-rock is, they're probably one of my least favorite post-rock bands. They've got all the major trappings of the genre, but they also don't do anything particularly interesting. I liked them when I first heard them, but they don't have the depth or lasting power of bands like GY[BE!/!BE], who were really the pinnacle of the genre as far as I'm concerned.

They do make a good introduction to the genre though. I may disagree on the 'anything particularly interesting' part however, but having only heard Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven (which was quite impressive), I can't really compare the two.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:21 am UTC

Goatboy wrote:Besides, the Sex Pistols always denied being "punk" because it was a meaningless term made up by the media. Does that really stop anybody from calling them punk? For the longest time I felt that the surest sign of a band being emo was a band denying that they were emo. So, to a general audience "post rock" is as good of a genre as any to describe complex, wordless kinda-rock music.

Keeping the Sex Pistols out of this discussion (it's impossible to discuss them accurately if we take them at face value), as well as emo (which is nowadays defined more by its fashion and the prejudice against it), perhaps many artists deny being [label] simply because they don't put themselves inside them. That's why those names and labels are usually coined by journalists or fans -- the musicians don't care. Other times, artists deny being [label] because [label] is a really, really stupid label. E.g. "Intelligent Dance Music". Seriously? You're telling me intelligent people need a specific kind of music in order to dance to it? Or that music made by intelligent people needs a specific label? Or maybe that some people really need something as idiotic as a music label in order to TRY to show themselves as being far more sophisticated and smart than they actually are?

Labels effectively exist for two things: for some people to keep themselves more and more limited and unaware of the infinite exciting combinations possible in the universe of music, instead opting for "more of the same", the safe ground they already know; and for other people to look closely at the regions between the labels and finding out what keeps music in a constant evolution.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

I like genre labels because I browse my music by genre, and if I tried to be as accurate as I should then each artist would have a genre to themselves. GY!BE would be classical pop, EItS would be like prog-post rock or something, and some other band would be like post-metal. It's kind of a map-territory conundrum.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Essah

Post Rock

Postby Essah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 am UTC

so basically i have found this awesome genre of music.
i knew 2 bands that plays this genre, namely
Sigur Rós and Godspeed! you Black Emporor

however i recently discovered another sort of post rock.
It truly is amazing music.

i hereby present: Russian Circles, (YAAAAAY *Applause*) *waits till people are done applauding*
if theese trees could talk *big applause* and lastly but not least, Euphoria!!! *loud applaud*

if you wanna know more about them i suggest googling their names, for now im gonna concentrate about the music.

first we have Russian Circles. they play somewhat hard Post rock with heavy guitar and long riffs. but sound and music says more than 1000 words so here they are... russian circles with one of their very best songs, titled: Melee
it is pretty heavy and might remind you of Godspeed you black emporor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73OD3SvhwdI&feature=related
yeah give them a good applause, thank you.

next band up is a band with a very long name, they call themselves
If Theese trees could talk, this is the song that triggered my recent interest into Post rock and defianetely one of the best ones in my opinion.
it is called Malabar front. give it up for.
IF
THEESE
TREES
COULD TALK!!!
and MALABAR FRONT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2az2ar0pg
notice the very interesting and complicated beat that sparks to live after aprox 1½ minute. A thing i really enjoy about the song.

the last song i wanna show you guys tonight is called Silent Roar and is made by Ephoria, a japanese band that does a very good job indeed.
close your eyes and enjoy the silent roar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSaJi3o5Zko&feature=related

alright thats all for now, hope you enjoyed them.
good night

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

thanks for the merge moderator. I did search first but i guess it didn't do it good enough.

hawkmp4

Postby hawkmp4 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

Opeth...not post-rock. But if you like them, I'd suggest checking out Stone Circle.
http://www.myspace.com/stonecirclemetal
Computer Science: A place to discuss the spirituality of Pornography Storage Apparatuses and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Maple_fish

Postby Maple_fish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:18 am UTC

Ooooh, seems most of the post rock I like has been done. Love the softer side (GY!BE, upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start, MONO) and bands at the heavier end (Isis, Pelican, 65dos) as well as some of the more inbetween bands (Red Sparrowes, Russian Circles)

Regardless, I'm still going to drop a few more in:
Capricorns (post-metal really)
Fog in the Shell (less sludgy)
Deepset (more ambient)
Reigns (ambient)

Some times I get a bit bored of post-rock, but there are some great bands that fall under this label I always come back to.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:11 am UTC

Godspeed You! Black Emperor have ended their 7-8 year hiatus to curate ATP festival in the UK in December, and will also play a few shows in the US/UK/Europe :D
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Return to “Music”