Marching Band.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Brunch

Marching Band.

Postby Brunch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Just wanting to know how many XKCD-ers are or at some point were in a high school or college (or maybe even professional or military) marching band. Tell some stories. Link your music/videos. Impress everyone.

Here's my high school's music for this year. If you have 7 or 8 minutes and want to hear some insane trumpet/baritone solos, then listen:
http://www.bvnmusic.com/FileUploads/Med ... ations.mp3

I can't believe there isn't already a marching band thread that hasn't been dead for a year, considering all the geeks that visit XKCD.

1337geek

Re: Marching Band.

Postby 1337geek » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:32 am UTC

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Brunch

Postby Brunch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 am UTC

My searching skills are mediocre =[.

But it has been dead for almost 6 months, which makes this almost justifiable.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

Yup. Last post was in July. It's now September. That's almost six months. :wink:
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Currently in pit in a high school marching band.

Our non percussion sucks, especially altos. Bitches can't march. On the other hand, that's partly the director's fault.

AWA

Postby AWA » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

I'm currently in my high school's marching band, and we're currently seeded 4th in our group (should be 3rd, but w/e).

I play in the front ensemble, primarily as a marimbist.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

I play bass drum. NOt because I suck, but because I actually get a lot of solos. In fact, its been decided that I'm the 2nd most important person in the drum line, and 3rd in the band.

Its fun. Mostly because of certain percussion closet activities..... like senior jam.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 am UTC

When I was in high school, I played Euphonium in my school's absolutely terrible marching band.

It was a good time, but I don't really miss it. Good marching bands are pretty awesome, though.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:29 am UTC

AWA wrote:I play in the front ensemble, primarily as a marimbist.

Hell yeah. I love marimba.

Unfortunately, I got kicked out of band for the rest of marching season because I spraypainted stuff at the school. Oh well, there's always winter drumline.

bltsponge

Postby bltsponge » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Drumline here. Bass 3 last year (Freshmen) in fall, then tenor for winter. Tenor this year for fall, snare for winter (Woo, going to Dayton again!). I'm also trying out for the Hawthorne Caballeros (DCA open) on tenor in a few weeks. Anyone else trying for corps this summer?

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:26 am UTC

I played the clarinet up until senior year when I quit because I didn't like the new leadership. I also eventually got tired of just playing terrible pop/hip-hop music that was so repetitive that it made me sick sometimes. If my university starts a marching band soon (we get a football team in 2010), I'll probably join up.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

ohinsanity

Postby ohinsanity » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:28 am UTC

my original instrument is the horn, but my sophomore year i marched trumpet and my freshman year i marched cymbals. just because i wanted to [:

i marched horn this year, but should have been playing 3rd bass. but since i'm not originally a percussionist and i'm a relativley good hornist, (well, more because i'm an extremely loud hornist,) i had to carry my section this year. we only had 7 horns. :|

but it was fun. My senior year will be the best, because i'm basically garunteed either a drumline spot or drum major spot. because we have ish-8 horns coming up. and ish-14 trumpets. and there are 7 graduating seniors on our line this year, and only 5 coming up as sophomores, so i won't have to march brass!!

but evern if i do, we're doing an amazing show next year. (i know because i'm helping the director plan it. we're getting started early this year.)
If you don't like the way things are looking, change your view... Or just shake everything up a bit.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:14 am UTC

bltsponge wrote:Drumline here. Bass 3 last year (Freshmen) in fall, then tenor for winter. Tenor this year for fall, snare for winter (Woo, going to Dayton again!). I'm also trying out for the Hawthorne Caballeros (DCA open) on tenor in a few weeks. Anyone else trying for corps this summer?

How does signing up for drum cops work?

josephoenix

Postby josephoenix » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

AWA wrote:I'm currently in my high school's marching band, and we're currently seeded 4th in our group (should be 3rd, but w/e).

I play in the front ensemble, primarily as a marimbist.

Woo hoo for my fellow marimbist! I played it my four years in high school. Loved it. I also played the flute [started in 7th grade.] After 2 years of playing marimba for marching band, which would have me playing flute for 4 in wind ensemble, i was much much better at the marimba. I still am. Never quite mastered switching between playing with 4 then 2 mallets while keeping the extra ones in my hand. But, oh well. My time is up and i haven't played in a while.
I speak the truth that shakes the silent night.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:04 am UTC

I do alto sax for marching, bari in concert. Our marching band went to China to play at the Olympics this year, which makes the yearly St. Paddy's in NYC seem pretty weak in retrospect.
~steve

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:43 am UTC

I play alto saxaphone. We are known for being the slacker section, and yet, we seem to get along better than several of the other sections. The trombones are all insane, the trumpets are far too numerous and the tenor saxaphones are just as insane as the trombones. I love marching band.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

kingofvwcosmos

Postby kingofvwcosmos » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

kinigget wrote:I play alto saxaphone. We are known for being the slacker section, and yet, we seem to get along better than several of the other sections.

I play alto and bari sax. Me and the other saxophones are also known for being "consistently inconsistent." :)

I play in a tiny band with 4 clarinets, 3 saxophones, 2 baritones, and one of everything else (yes, 1 trumpet) except for trombones, which we have none of. We're good and always get 1s at the competition, but we do sooo many breathing exercises to play louder. It makes the whole thing a little bit less fun, but I still like it.

Return to “Music”