Best Artists of Today?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

BMP

Best Artists of Today?

Postby BMP » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:09 am UTC

I'm lazy and if there's already a thread like this forgive me. But what do you think are the best artists of TODAY? Don't post your favorite bands like 'I <333 the beatles and the who and iron maiden n shit" Bands that are still active today; which are the best ones?

Right now I Think the top 3 are Radiohead, Tool, and Opeth.

Now go.

TheAmazingRando

Re: Best Artists of Today?

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

To keep this different than the other threads, I'll post musicians that I find particularly interesting, that seem to have a strong image beyond the band they're connected with.
Toby Driver (guitarist, vocalist, ex-maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Tartar Lamb, solo work, various collaborations)
Mia Matsumiya (violinist, vocalist, Kayo Dot, Tartar Lamb, Gregor Samsa, various collaborations)
Aaron Turner (vocalist, guitarist, Isis, Old Man Gloom, collaborations, album artist, founder of Hydra Head Records)
Jacob Bannon (vocalist, Converge, album artist, founder of Deathwish Inc. record label)
Kurt Ballou (guitarist, Converge, various collaborations, record producer)
Thurston Moore (vocalist, guitarist, Sonic Youth, solo work, record production, soundtrack work, founder of Ecstatic Peace! record label)
Stephen O'Malley (guitarist, SunnO))), many collaborations and side projects, graphic design, co-founder of Southern Lord)
If these people are involved with anything, I'm bound to be interested.
Last edited by TheAmazingRando on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

Radiohead.

Just Radiohead, basically. They're recording a new album too.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

Animal Collective is the most unique band I know of today, and are very awesome. Them and of Montreal are the most interesting bands of today in my opinion.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:13 am UTC

of montreal, muse, radiohead, arcade fire, and if modest mouse goes back to the good old days them too.
uhhhh fuck.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:25 am UTC

- Leo Brouwer, cuban composer. He is the cat's pajamas.
- King Crimson. Yes, shut up.
- Dave Holland quintet

And a variety of other acts/composers which range widely in obscureness.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Delmieth

Postby Delmieth » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:43 am UTC

65daysofstatic, mogwai, muse.

Each of them have unique traits that make them candidates for the best artist of today, and I really cannot pick one above the rest!
souldelay wrote:I tried it on my campus and totally got busted for "inappropriate use of cookware"

I just want to know how the hell cakewaffles are inappropriate.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:28 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:To keep this different than the other threads, I'll post musicians that I find particularly interesting, that seem to have a strong image beyond the band they're connected with.
Toby Driver (guitarist, vocalist, ex-maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Tartar Lamb, solo work, various collaborations)
Mia Matsumiya (violinist, vocalist, Kayo Dot, Tartar Lamb, Gregor Samsa, various collaborations)
Aaron Turner (vocalist, guitarist, Isis, Old Man Gloom, collaborations, album artist, founder of Hydra Head Records)
Jacob Bannon (vocalist, Converge, album artist, founder of Deathwish Inc. record label)
Kurt Ballou (guitarist, Converge, various collaborations, record producer)
Thurston Moore (vocalist, guitarist, Sonic Youth, solo work, record production, soundtrack work, founder of Ecstatic Peace! record label)
Stephen O'Malley (guitarist, SunnO))), many collaborations and side projects, graphic design, co-founder of Southern Lord)
If these people are involved with anything, I'm bound to be interested.

Yay Kayo Dot fan! :D
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Steven Wilson. Both as a musician with Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, and a solo career, and as a rather excellent producer.

ascendingPig

Postby ascendingPig » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Jonathan Coulton, anyone? Funny AND catchy.
"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Oceansize, Olafur Arnalds, Jens Lekman. Three different genres, all awesome. Oceansize especially will destroy any rock/metal band out there.

Master of Puppets

Postby Master of Puppets » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 am UTC

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Raul Midon. Those are the only two genius bands/artists that I can think of that are active at the moment. As someone higher up there said, Radiohead too; maybe, just maybe, Dream Theater. I'm a metal fanatic so I'm biased, of course. Metallica doesn't get a mention because I'm still pouting over St. Anger.
It'd be much easier to learn about me here. If, on the random chance, you were possessed to do so.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:37 am UTC

I second Tool and Jonathan Coulton, and raise y'all a Queens of the Stone Age and The Arctic Monkeys.

I would say Red Hot Chili Peppers, but they aren't exactly doing stuff these days.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:41 am UTC

Aethernox wrote:Steven Wilson. Both as a musician with Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, and a solo career, and as a rather excellent producer.

qft.
I was going to post something like this, but there is no longer any need.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Aethernox wrote:Steven Wilson. Both as a musician with Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, and a solo career, and as a rather excellent producer.

PONIES! Ponies, ponies, ponies!1! I like Ponies!.
I was going to post something like this, but there is no longer any need.

Seconded. I won't say he's the best individual musician I know from a technical standpoint, but he makes up for it with sheer output, his ability to combine the best of diverse genres, and an unbelievable ear for production. Bottom line, he's making some of the best music music today, he's been doing it for at least ten years, and he deserves a lot more thanks than he gets.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

Master of Puppets wrote:maybe, just maybe, Dream Theater.

I like other bands more, but they are certainly one of the most technically proficient bands I listen to.

v1ND

Postby v1ND » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

What are we using to determine best artist? If we're defining music as an art then probably the most creative artists are in the experimental/avante-garde genres. If we're talking about musicality then dream theatre is one of the more technically skilled artists.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

v1ND wrote:What are we using to determine best artist? If we're defining music as an art then probably the most creative artists are in the experimental/avante-garde genres. If we're talking about musicality then dream theatre is one of the more technically skilled artists.

I don't think there's really any need to make a distinction. They are two ways by which musicians can showcase talent. If you want to justify someone being an awesome musician, do it however you want. I mentioned dream theatre's talent, I also seconded Steven Wilson based on the sheer volume and variety of the work that he does.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:55 am UTC

Mikael Åkerfeldt and DAAU.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Baza210 wrote:Radiohead.

Just Radiohead, basically. They're recording a new album too.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Radiohead isn't necessarily my favorite band (or the music I'm most prone to listen to), but they're definitely the band I'd pick as the most important group working today (I have to include that qualifier so I don't start going off about The Pixies, my real favorite band). They're so cohesive, so experimental and in tune with the principles of good, expansive songwriting and their work has a significance most music doesn't have (In Rainbows less so, to be fair).

But Kid A. Geez. It's beyond classic, beyond criticism, the way Sgt. Pepper's was. We're not as musically homogenized as we used to be, but Kid A affected the people it needed to affect in the same way.

Dingbats wrote:Animal Collective is the most unique band I know of today, and are very awesome. Them and of Montreal are the most interesting bands of today in my opinion.

If I had a close second in the "significance" category, it would be AC.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Sigur Ros. Their music is very unique, and while it's not complex at the level of Dream Theater or some of the other bands mentioned, it is very emotional and moving.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Opeth is the only one that immediately comes to mind. I listen to many bands, but many of those bands are either no longer together or have long since stopped putting out anything besides aural rape (In Flames, I'm looking at you.)

Mostly it's just a case of comparing the new to the old, and in almost every case, the old just kicks the shit out of the new. Metallica's newest album isn't bad, but when you compare it to something like Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning, well... it just fails miserably.

I second Muse. While it's not the kind of music you're apt to hear me listen to randomly, they've got a pretty unusual sound, and that counts for something. Radiohead is just terrible in every possible way.

I haven't checked up on them in a long time, but last time I did, Mastodon was just full of win. Metal songs about Moby Dick? How can it not win?
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Epistrophy

Postby Epistrophy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Kurt Rosenwinkel is breaking a lot of ground right now in my eyes. I think he is really coming to a high point in his compositions and improvisations.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Coheed and Cambria, especially claudio sanchez. They are the best band of all time. Ever.

I used to think fall of troy was one of the best bands making music today but they just destroyed the ghostship demo. They did horrible things to it. They're still good, but they lost major points.

I think Animal Collective, fiery furnaces, and the arcade fire are some of the better bands out there. Fire zuave too.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Themata

Postby Themata » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Opeth and Tool agreed. I raise you a Katatonia.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

Lt Greatsocks wrote:. . . fiery furnaces. . .

. . . Further proving that one man's "one of the better bands around" is another man's "undisciplined, aggravating mess." Anyway, the Furnaces are well-regarded by enough people that they don't need to be defended (or attacked, once again, by me), for the same reason that none of us felt a need to defend Radiohead.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
Lt Greatsocks wrote:. . . fiery furnaces. . .

. . . Further proving that one man's "one of the better bands around" is another man's "undisciplined, aggravating mess." Anyway, the Furnaces are well-regarded by enough people that they don't need to be defended (or attacked, once again, by me), for the same reason that none of us felt a need to defend attack Radiohead.

Fixed it for you, little cherub that I am :twisted:
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Mr.RobLikesBrunch

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Beck, hands down.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:39 am UTC

Avey Tare & Panda Bear (of Animal Collective) are way up there in my book, as are Thurston Moore (all-round excellence), Dave Longstreth (of Dirty Projectors), Steve Albini (producer, songwriter, guitarist - currently in Shellac, but with connections to everybody), Joanna Newsom (amazing songwriter, harper and vocalist), Dave Fridmann (the producer pushing pop soundscapes further and in wierder directions than they've ever been before), Carey Mercer (of Frog Eyes), Julian Koster (of the Music Tapes), Tom Waits (the most consistently amazing and surprising songwriter alive today, in this reporter's opinion) and... I'd be remiss if I ignored Kevin Barnes (of Of Montreal) ~ easily one of the most compelling dudes in music today.

Good times, no?

Return to “Music”