Perfect Moments In Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Hyphe

Re: Perfect Moments In Music

Postby Hyphe » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

The opening to Brothers In A Hotel Bed by Death Cab For Cutie. The piano builds up and up and I always end up sobbing just before the rest of the intruments come in.

There are others, but I'm a long way from my music collection right now, so it'll have to wait!

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote:-Probably my absolute favorite at the moment, towards the end of "Syke! Life is Awesome!" by Bomb the Music Industry (And coincidentally, the end of the the album, "To Leave or Die in Long Island"). It just goes all out ska, beautiful saxophones on the upbeats, and great lyrics that fit just perfect - "Then I was underground without food, sunlight, or encouragement/Depression set in ‘cause I was a product of my environment."

That's a great one, and I'd like to add the part from Future 86 on Album Minus Band where the horns kick in. That song is great, and I read somewhere that they used like 100 fans to sing back-up vocals.

I've got a bunch for Streetlight Manifesto: at the end of Would you be impressed? when Tomas yells "It's all my fault!" gets me every time, as does the trumpet solo in The Blonde lead the Blind, and the the trombone hit that leads into the end of What a Wicked Gang Are We.

For a more non-conventional one, the drum-corp Phantom Regiment's show, Spartacus, had so many great moments. The end is just phenomenal. They also had a really great drum break in it.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

ali_xk180

Postby ali_xk180 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Fix You by Coldplay - at around 2:36 the guitar kicks in and the light cymbal begins to play. By 3:04 this has built up to a crashing cymbal and then the drums start. Beautiful song, and particularly effective when walking along a busy street in the rain and the headphones are blaring. :)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

when the guitar solo starts, at the beginning of Wish You Were Here, by Pink Floyd.

Additionally, in 2+2=5 on Hail to the Thief, when the whole thing speeds up and it gets so frantic and awesome.
Continuing with Radiohead, in Sit Down/Stand Up, the ending bit (fast drum breakdown thing + "the raindrops, the raindrops, the raindrops").
uhhhh fuck.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

And as we wind on down the road, Our shadows taller than our soul. There walks a lady we all know, Who shines white light and wants to show How evrything still turns to gold. And if you listen very hard The tune will come to you at last. When all are one and one is all,To be a rock and not to roll.

The guitar build up, and the lyrics. Zam.

Also, Hybrid is good about this.
But honestly, isn't this what music is about? Tension and release? Talking about perfect moments in music is like talking about tasty things in food. It's sort of why it's made, and why we listen to it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:26 am UTC

The 1:45 mark in Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine, right after the chords crash down, then there's silence, a bit of noise builds up, then a single note is played over and over, then a step down.

The ending of Close to the Edge by Yes

The ending of the chorus in Dancing with the Moonlit Knight when it goes from the chorus to the electric guitar riff.

Magnum Opus by Kansas. The song.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 am UTC

Sun Giant EP's Drops in the River fits with the "perfect moment" thing, kinda. It doesn't have to be a classic song or album or something to be perfect.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:at the end of Would you be impressed? when Tomas yells "It's all my fault!" gets me every time

YES.

All of Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. And quite a good bit off Good News as well. We've Got Everything, Invisible, and This Devil's Workday, especially.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:47 am UTC

McCaber wrote:
Allium Cepa wrote:at the end of Would you be impressed? when Tomas yells "It's all my fault!" gets me every time

YES.

All of Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. And quite a good bit off Good News as well. We've Got Everything, Invisible, and This Devil's Workday, especially.

This Devil's Workday is pure win. The very last line and the laugh is probably my favorite moment in music.*

Every time the chorus kicks in in Fat Bottom Girls by Queen should be added in here somewhere

*EDIT: And it is apparently in my sig though I do not remember putting it there o_O...
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:10 am UTC

There's one recurring section that appears in many songs in Super Mario Galaxy that certainly fits the bill. Specifically, there's one particular instance of it that REALLY stands out: Gusty Garden Galaxy. (Starts at about 1:20.)
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:18 am UTC

Two come immediately to mind:
Nine Inch Nails' "Just Like You Imagined"... at around 2:12, when the layered harmonic vocals come in on a decrescendo, and then all hell breaks loose.
And the ultimate in perfect moments, Radiohead's "Creep." You know the part. The gloriously decayed "cha-chunk" of a distorted guitar. Absolutely sublime.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

At around 2:28 in "You Don't Know me" by Ben Folds, when Regina Spektor says, "Say it." In my mind that totally makes up for any perceived under use of her in the song.
When the solo hits in "Santeria" by Sublime. The whole solo is about the most gorgeous thing a guitar's ever done, but those first notes leading in are fantastic.
It's be said, but I say it again. The five seconds of "Buddy Holly" by Weezer when we hear nothing but those notes up around the 12th fret. The most perfect five seconds in music.
This isn't my original though, but I agree with my friend Dave when he talks about Ozma's "Natalie Portman." When he shouts "What can I do?!" the loudest and the guitar jumps up in pitch. So good.

EDIT: I did not word that last bit at all well. Too bad, though, it's stayin'.
Also, I need to mention "Do You Realize??" by the Flaming Lips. Towards the end where Wayne's singing the chorus and the drums come in all bombastic like a firecracker. Joyous punctuation.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am UTC

Combining this thread with the Philip Glass thread right beneath it... Prophecies, from Koyaanisqatsi, at about 10:50 when the bass part in the organ kicks in. I've listened to this song on repeat a lot, and I love the last three minutes or so. Sometimes I close my eyes and I listen and I feel like I'm spinning.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 am UTC

Triple Fascination by 'the Listening'.

I did a search for the song on youtube, and then google but couldn't find a video anywhere. apparently they are too obscure. but seriously, that song is my all time favourite song, the first 30 seconds are absolutely sublime
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Lleu

Postby Lleu » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 am UTC

In the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony:
-Right after the third stanza/verse thing when everything just drops out, and the bass instruments come in, as if a march in the distance.
-Right after the double fugue, that still moment right before the main theme comes back.

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2 in c minor:
Opening
When the piano gets triplets

The Communio in Mozart's Requiem, the beginning, when the soprano starts her solo is divine.

When the Aria returns in the Goldberg Variations, especially the 1984 Gould recording.

The entire Kunst der Fuge

Smetana's Moldau, when the theme first appears

Fruehlingsrauschen by Sinding. Also the entire song.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Oceansize's The Frame, around 7:33, when all 3 guitars just totally rock out.
Frames in general is full of moments like these.

Explosions in the Sky- Your Hand in Mine. All 8 minutes of the song are awesome, but the killer moment is around 4:40.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - BBFIII. After Blaise Bailey Finnegan III finishes his inane rant, the band meanders around for a minute under minute 12-13, where they hit the climax of the entire album.

Gregor Samsa - Young And Old. I saw them live, and when the song hits 3:51, the tears flow freely. One of the most emotional songs ever.

Mogwai -My Father My King. Not really a 'moment', but the song is all about the journey. All 20 minutes of it.

Mew - The Zookeeper's Boy. Generally the chorus is awesome, when you have 5 people singing different melody lines just sounding like one coherent song.
Mew - She Came Home For Christmas. There is a point when Jonas just unleashes in a Falsetto solo or something, and brings the song to a whole new level.

MONO - Halcyon and Yearning. Both, during those moments when the band slowly play at an almost inaudible volume before crashing back into full power (terrace dynamics). I saw them live, and they deafened me for 3 days with those songs.

Olafur Arnalds - 3055. The entire album generally meanders in slow minor key, with little more than piano and strings, for 25 minutes. Then, at 2:16, the melody picks up, drums are introduced (for the only time during the whole album) and the song get faster and faster until it soars.

pg.lost - Yes I Am. This song is so typically post-rock, you can hold it up as a shining example of the genre circa 2005. Which is probably why 3:34 is so awesome; the track kinda fades as if the song is done, then, out of nowhere, a single drum beat, then all instruments return in a true climax.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Bingo Little wrote:in Elbow's Ribcage, when the choir suddenly kicks in.

Oh shit yes. That section is so rad it hurts.
Also - from the same album - how awesome is the moment the first time that massive, ungodly roar comes in on "Snooks"? I think the first time I heard that, I was walking down the street, listening to it on headphones, and I very nearly fell over. :P

Another one occurred to me today: in "The Glow" by the Microphones (on the album It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water),
at 3:30,
as all of the guitar-and-reverb-sounds are murmuring underneath,
when Khaela's voice (the most impossibly breathy, super-compressed wave of aural vapour imaginable) comes in, singing,
"Hey wake up, it's me"

...a truly humbling moment.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:Continuing with Radiohead, in Sit Down/Stand Up, the ending bit (fast drum breakdown thing + "the raindrops, the raindrops, the raindrops").

Or "power rangers, power rangers, power rangers, power rangers, power rangers..." as someone said in a recent misheard lyrics thread on another forum. :D

kaniman2

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:Triple Fascination by 'the Listening'.

I did a search for the song on youtube, and then google but couldn't find a video anywhere. apparently they are too obscure. but seriously, that song is my all time favourite song, the first 30 seconds are absolutely sublime

They're not obscure enough to be on Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Listening
But yeah, apart from that I can't find anything. Which is strange. Because I always eventually find something.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
Spoiler:

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

I feel the need to add the part on the album version of "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab for Cutie, when after four or so minutes of buildup the lyrics begin, and before the end of the first stanza almost all the instruments have dropped out completely. Like you've built up all this courage to say something, telling yourself over and over just to do the damn thing, and then when the moment comes you say it, but your knees still go a bit weak. Very tasteful.
And some old pictures.

Kirjava

Postby Kirjava » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Been some cracking calls in this thread. Fix You, yes, good call. Guitar Solo in Aerodynamic. Another good call.
Anyway.

I'm very fond of where Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor starts to pick up pace... obviously, no lyrics to go with it, but it's where the triplets start up for the second time.

However, the greatest single definitive moment in music ever comes in Pink Floyd's 'Echoes', the 23minute version from Meddle. Starts at 17:03, goes on to about 18:43. It's the small tune after the long, long empty sound that sounds like the sea, with pings of sonar in it. And after the small, meandering tune, the guitar kicks in with the riff.

Absolutely beautiful. I can listen to that minute 40 of music with shivers going my spine. If you don't own Meddle (a relatively sub-par album for Floyd standards), it is worth the £10 or whatever just so you can get the slightly extended version of this song - there's a trimmed version on their Best Of (17mins), but it cuts out a bit of this, and kinda ruins the whole thing for me on account of that. Yes, I am suggesting getting an album specifically for an extra 6 minutes, most of which is sonar noise =D

Think about it - it's that or a Phil Collins CD. 6 minutes of Pink Floyd is worth a lifetime of Collins, the smug ugly balding git.
Aku: Who dares to summon the Master of Masters, the Deliverer of Darkness, the Shogun of Sorrow, Aku?
Jack: Aku!
Aku: Yes, it is I, Samurai Jack. How incredibly observant you are.

mickyj300x

Postby mickyj300x » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:59 am UTC

The endind to Alkan's Le festin d'Esope. Pure bliss.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

I don't think Meddle is subpar at all. It might be somewhere around the 4th or 5th position in my ranking of Pink Floyd albums. And yeah, it's point to listen to any kind of shortened version of Echoes.

I have to say, though, Fix You is, to me, the stupidest song Coldplay ever wrote. Personal motivations aside, that's one of the most perfect examples of a "let's follow a formula and write a song!" experiment went awry. So yeah, they have the "perfect" chords right, the "perfect" instruments right, the "perfect" dynamics right... but the melody?? Urgh, FUCK, the melody sounds like Martin clicked a "random melody generator" button a few dozen times until something better than "awful" popped up. And then, "so, yeh, uh, we gotta write something cool to play when the song climaxes. Uh... eh, let's just play these two notes over and over and that's it". What If it's such a better song it's even unfair to compare them.

kaniman2

Postby kaniman2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

I actually think Meddle was one of their better albums. I liked it better than anything past WYWH, and it's probably my second favorite, behind WYWH.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
Spoiler:

Kirjava

Postby Kirjava » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

Wow, I didn't expect to find the Meddle supporters club here...

It's not that I don't love Meddle beyond all reasoning. I do. I think it's fantastic, and if I had to pick 10 albums to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be one of them. But that's only due to the strength of Echoes. One of these Days is pretty fantastic, but I can't say much for the rest of the album.

In terms of it's relative strength as an album, I'd say *every* album that follows is better, with the exception of 2: Obscured by Clouds and (obviously) The Final Cut.
And, preemptively, that's not to say I don't like those albums either (although The Final Cut is a bit shit). By chance, I've just finished listening to Obscured by Clouds. It's just... they have better albums.
Then again, I'm a big big fan of A Momentary Lapse of Reason *and* The Division Bell, and I know a lot of Floyd fans who aren't.

ALSO! I'd like to jump to the defence of Fix You. The reason it's a fantastic song is *because* it isn't What If - it's a very powerful cross between a stadium anthem and a love ballad. It's also a fantastic example of where a song becomes far far more than the sum of its' parts. I'd challenge you to hear Fix You live and still claim it's rubbish.

P.S. Putting albums/songs in italics makes posts easier to read ftw!
Aku: Who dares to summon the Master of Masters, the Deliverer of Darkness, the Shogun of Sorrow, Aku?
Jack: Aku!
Aku: Yes, it is I, Samurai Jack. How incredibly observant you are.

kaniman2

Postby kaniman2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Kirjava wrote:P.S. Putting albums/songs in italics makes posts easier to read ftw!

True, but if you only have a couple lines of text it doesn't make it that much easier to read.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
Spoiler:

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Man, I wish I could join in on this "Fix You" discussion, but having listened to X&Y several times, I can say that the only songs that stand out are "Talk," which took its main riff from a Kraftwerk song, and "Till Kingdom Come," which was written for Johnny Cash. The rest of it just blurs into sonic mush. Since we were on the subject of that song, I thought I'd throw that out there, even though it wasn't very constructive. And I'm not saying it's a bad song, just a homogeneous album, and if you listened hard enough to appreciate a bit, good on ya.

To be fair and open myself (or at least a song I like) to criticism, I love the very beginning of "Long Day" by Matchbox20, right before the song starts and Rob Thomas takes a quavering breath. If I thought harder, I could think of a more respectable moment, but I remember the first time I heard that I started the track over several times just to hear it.
And some old pictures.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:32 am UTC

the band: dire straits
the album: alchemy
the song: tunnel of love

the entire song is pretty damn amazing. but the part that is most memorable is the last three minutes with a combination of guitar solo and piano hitting at the right moments. it's the greatest song ever pretty much. i'm sure you're all too young to appreciate it but goddamn the song is amazing.

and the song isn't what everyone thinks it's about.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:50 am UTC

after the weird proggy part in Whole Lotta Love when jimmy page kicks in.

his guitar.. is like.. if he took all the guitars in the world.. all the guitar sounds in the world.. and then.. condensed them. into just pure GUITAR TONE.

oh gibson and marshall.. you make wonderful sounding things.
uhhhh fuck.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

I can't believe the solo in November Rain by Guns 'n' Roses isn't mentioned yet.
Oh, and One by Metallica. The build up to 'Darkness imprisoning me'...' and what follows is pure genius.

And another one: Soldiers of the wasteland - Dragonforce. The whole song is great, but the instrumental part from 4:20 to around 6:00 is liquid awesome.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Laetificat

Postby Laetificat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

johnie104 wrote:Oh, and One by Metallica. The build up to 'Darkness imprisoning me'...' and what follows is pure genius.

Absolutely yes. I love the part in the live S&M version with just Jason on the bass just before the James and Kirk solo. (For anyone unacquainted with it - about 6:56 here. ) Always gives me shivers.
It's mental static! I told you, if you HAVE to think, think in German!

Smokestack_Lightning

Postby Smokestack_Lightning » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Registered just for this thread...

The vocal solo in Gimme Shelter by the Stones. The vocalist (forget her name) hits a wicked high note and her voice breaks. If you listen close you can hear Keith yell 'woo!' through the glass.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:For a more non-conventional one, the drum-corp Phantom Regiment's show, Spartacus, had so many great moments. The end is just phenomenal. They also had a really great drum break in it.

YES.

This year, me and my friends went to see the a DCI show (I think it was the Eastern Championships) that was playing live at a movie theater. We were quite close to the screen, and it was loud. Best. thing. ever. I'm so happy they won the World Championships this year. They deserved it.

Also, this year in Area Band, we played the first, second, and last movements of "Of Sailors and Whales". The part in the first movement, the first time the cymbals come in, so emotional. The first time we got it perfect there was a simultaneous shiver, which was followed by us trumpets being too distracted to come in on time...
Anyway, it's really a different experience being within the band, but here's a college band on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbh8x-o1kFM

The second and fifth movements are awesome too. Especially when you're surrounded by drums.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Flobots- handlebars,

Even though I'm not a fan of rap the whole song is absolutely amazing.
Last edited by Paranoid__Android on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

benbw

Postby benbw » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:53 am UTC

In This Twilight-Nine Inch Nails, on the last chorus with the weird electrofall noise (I really couldn't come up with another name for it).

Also, I will have to agree with d33p on Just Like You Imagined and Midnight on Sit Down/Stand Up.

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:26 am UTC

Love Story By Taylor Swift :D
After the little acoustic bit where the whole band comes back in "Marry me julietttttt"

When the piano comes back in after the sax solo in Bruce Springsteen's "Jungleland". Those bits of piano are some of the most memorable ever and never fail to turn me on, well, you know.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:26 am UTC

Havana Smooth... the game it's from is kinda OK I guess, but the music is really good, and this one is full of awesome moments.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

a386

Postby a386 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:Flobots- handlebars,

Even though I'm not a fan of rap the whole song is absolutely amazing.

I agree with all elements of this post.
ALSO. I forgot to mention The Pillows before but there are two moments I can think of right now. One is in Hybrid Rainbow the first time he says "can you feel" and the guitar gets all loud, and then the next one i can't really separate from the moment it accompanies in FLCL but when "I think I can" builds all the way up to its screaming ending and then you're left with that little far-off guitar thing, that is great for me.

ariennette

Postby ariennette » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:03 am UTC

I love listening to this song because there are several "perfect moments" and it just builds continuously until it finally comes back down to the drums that drew me in initially.
There There -- Radiohead
2:54 Thom Yorke's keening.
3:16 Everything gets taken up a notch, it holds me in suspense.
3:57 Epic.
n/q/fc?

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:31 am UTC

A few more to mention

The bit in Weilder of Words by Tyrannosaurus Rex right after the "Robard De Font Le Roy" bit when it just goes crazy.

Also, the bit at the end of The Cinema Show by Genesis when the riff from Dancing with the Moonlit Knight returns.

The buildup at the ending of A Day in the Life by the Beatles and the powerful piano chord that ends it.

Return to “Music”