Black Metal and related genres

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

the_stabbage

Black Metal and related genres

Postby the_stabbage » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

Ok, there's a thread for death metal but this is going to be a thread about black metal. Where the guitars aren't downtuned (usually), lots of tremolo picking, the screaming is higher-pitched, and the songs are more about Satan than mutilating people. Of course, the production has to be terrible.

Obligatory namedrops: Immortal (hilariously bad/great at the same time), Emperor, Satyricon, Darkthrone.

Related genres: a lot of viking metal and folk metal is influenced by black metal. Enslaved is good, as is Windir.

I recently discovered Aura Noir, they mix a lot of thrash elements into black metal and it sounds great:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=iI0iT1vBc0k

TheAmazingRando

Re: Black Metal and related genres

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

It was probably my favorite genre of music for a while, and some of my favorite bands still fall into the category. Namely, Burzum, Wolves in the Throne Room, Weakling, Drudkh, and Ulver.

bbq

Postby bbq » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Black metal was also my favourite genre for a while.

My favourite band is nyogthaeblisz, because I'm just so kvlt like that. Just kidding, but I do like some of the raw stuff like Abruptum and Lucifugum. For the more folky side Windir, Menhir, Mithotyn, Isvind and Eisregen are good. I also like the doomy stuff like Nortt and Bethlehem.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

Easily one of my favourite genres. Some awesome bands in alphabetical order, not ranked in any sort of way:
Aborym - Crazy Italian industrial black metal.
Borknagar - Favourite band ever. Mind blowingly awesome. Quintessence is my all-time favourite CD (and also my avatar).
Emperor - Anthems is pretty neat.
Enslaved - Fuck yeah.
Marduk - I've only heard their latest, but it's pretty cool.
Moonsorrow - Folkish black metal. Maybe more folk than black, but awesome nevertheless.
Satyricon - <3 Nemesis Divina. Their new stuff is pretty bad.

EDIT: Terrible typo
Last edited by Qoppa on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:47 am UTC

bbq wrote:Nortt and Bethlehem.
Forgot about those. I picked up a Nortt album completely on a whim, and it was absolutely worth it. I'm not usually in the mood for it, but when I am...damn.

Also, Lurker of Chalice. I don't care much for Leviathan, but somehow with Lurker of Chalice Wrest manages to do some amazing things. More experimental than other black metal, in a different sort of way than French bands like Deathspell Omega.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Not a huge fan of raw or "true" black metal or whatever, but there are some amazingly great bands that fall within the black metal genre as a whole. Like others already said, Enslaved, Immortal, Emperor, all good stuff.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:18 am UTC

Certainly not my favorite subgenre of metal, there's some good stuff within. Emperor and Bathory come to mind right away.
There aren't enough positive adjectives to describe how wonderful I am.
http://www.last.fm/user/Someguy1332

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 am UTC

Though I consider myself to be thoroughly musically "literate", I'm sure I can't be the only one that devides my metal into "metal" and "really metal metal".

That's not to say I don't like metal of all kinds, I just think it's splitting hairs when you start with all this black/death/speed/thrash/doom/goth metal stuff.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote:Though I consider myself to be thoroughly musically "literate", I'm sure I can't be the only one that devides my metal into "metal" and "really metal metal".

That's not to say I don't like metal of all kinds, I just think it's splitting hairs when you start with all this black/death/speed/thrash/doom/goth metal stuff.

Labels are pretty silly in general so you can't really take too much stock in them. There is, in every genre or sub-genre, most likely at least one band that I like, even if I'm not a fan of said genre.

That being said though, its easier most of the time when trying to describe a band to just say "they're mostly black with a little bit of doom metal mixed in," then to say "well they sound mostly like emperor, but also a little bit like old enslaved, mixed with saint vitus, and candlemass and......etc."

PS. I'm digging that Aura Noir. Enough to warrant further investigation....

PPS. this thread makes me want to make a doom metal thread.

bbq

Postby bbq » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

If you mean Rom 5:12, then yeah it's great. Don't know if they've released anything since then though.

It's not exactly splitting hairs, when you think about the vast amount of musical difference you can have between two black metal bands (for example, Nehemah and 1349), two doom metal bands (Eg, Candlemass and Wormphlegm, or two death metal bands (necrophagist and nilihist?). I wouldn't really call it overclassification when all of these tags can mean different styles.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

bbq wrote:
If you mean Rom 5:12, then yeah it's great. Don't know if they've released anything since then though.
I am talking about Rom 5:12. Nothing but awesome.
Also, I forgot about Naglfar. They're the band that got me into black metal.

With metal, I think it's really important to be specific within the genre. DragonForce (power metal) sound absolutely nothing like Esoteric (funeral doom), who sound nothing like Emperor (black metal) who also sound nothing like Iron Maiden (traditional heavy metal) who sound nothing like Behemoth (blackened death metal), ..... There's just so much variation within the genre that saying you like 'metal' is pretty uninformative. I mean, I like black, death, funeral doom, and folk metal mostly, and I don't really like gothic, thrash, or traditional heavy metal. There's a very marked difference between these genres. Of course, there are also subgenres, and subsubgenres, (metal -> doom metal -> funeral doom metal, stoner doom metal, sludge doom metal, etc.), and as you get more specific, the distinction can get a little fuzzy, but at the very least, differentiating between the main sub divisions of metal is pretty easy, and it's certainly not just 'splitting hairs'.

bbq

Postby bbq » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Yeah, I agree with you there. Doom metal is really the only one I would split past the subgenre point though.

Naglfar are good..I always find myself getting them confused with Nastrandir, Nargaroth and other bands with similiar names though. :?

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

Don't forget we have both Naglfar and Nagelfar. :P

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

I figure you reach the point where a subgenre becomes, not necessary I suppose, but informative and useful, when something from another style of music under the same basic heading would be entirely out of place. A power metal riff would be completely out of place in most doom metal songs, so those sub-genres tell us something useful about the kind of music that is being played. I love doom and black metal, I strongly dislike most power metal (and, by extension, most melodic death metal) and I don't care much for cannibal corpse-style death metal or traditional heavy metal. Having a name attached to the distinct type of metal that I really enjoy makes it much easier to find more music like it. I can say "black metal" and people know what I mean, I don't have to describe all the distinctive features of it.

Saurus33

Postby Saurus33 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Similiarly, someone could easily like say, Anaal Nathrakh, and dislike Xasthur, who, while both within the genre of black metal, have dramatically different styles. Thus creating the need for subgenres.
Last edited by Saurus33 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

I really like mayhem. You can hear the fucking crazy in the singer's voice. You can hear it.

Also, heard a wolves in the throne room song on a southern lord compilation cd. It was pretty boss. Might have to pick up some more of their stuff.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Zerstörer

Postby Zerstörer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 am UTC

I had the pleasure of seeing Wolves in the Throne Room at a bar venue in October, one of the most amazing sets I've ever seen... no stopping, for over an hour.

My top BM albums:

1. Enslaved — Vikingligr Veldi
2. Averse Sefira — Advent Parallax
3. Burzum — Filosofem
4. Emperor — In the Nightside Eclipse
5. Darkthrone — A Blaze in the Northern Sky
6. Gorgoroth — Antichrist
7. Havohej — Dethrone the Son of God
"The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas — uncertainty, progress, change — into crimes." — Salman Rushdie

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:50 am UTC

I missed a Wolves in the Throne Room / Sunn O))) / Earth concert almost a year and a half ago, and I still regret it.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Black Metal and Viking Metal are my favorite genres of music. They have been for years, and will be for...well I don't see myself ever not liking them.

Some of my favorite bands:
Immortal
Darkthrone
Satyricon
Marduk
Carpathian Forest
Graveland
Iuvenes
Windir
Einherjer
Falkenbach
Kampfar
Khors
Drudkh
Morrigan
Bathory
Naglfar
Wyrd
Angantyr
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Chrysalis

Postby Chrysalis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

Talking of related genres, I very much enjoy Cradle of Filth and older Dimmu Borgir. Dimmu's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is an awesome album and CoF has many really great songs (Her Ghost in the Fog, Nymphetamine, ...I can't remember titles).

I like Immortal for their music, their sense of humour and their topics , Emperor, Darkthrone, and Summoning's beautiful Lord of the Rings themes.

Not much a fan of the traditional formula of arson/bloodshed/horrible equipment ;)
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:38 am UTC

Amesoeurs (Black Metal/post-punk band) is releasing a new album this month! How the hell did this almost slip past me?
EDIT: Listen to the preview here and revel in the anticipation along with me.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:31 am UTC

How did I forget Amesoeurs? They're awesome. In fact when you said their name I was hoping for a leak of their new album.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

A quick check shows that Amesoeurs shares a member with Peste Noire. Peste Noire is an awesome band. What's with the French these days and black metal?

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

The new Amesoeurs album has leaked. I'm not going to post the link here (forum rules and all that) and I can't find it anywhere other than my *ahem* sources, but since it just leaked today, that's understandable. I don't plan on listening to the leak (though my friend did, and assured me it actually is the album), but I thought you might all want to keep your eye out for it, since I'm sure it will show up other places as well.
Last edited by TheAmazingRando on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:28 am UTC

I was just coming here to post about that leak. Anyone who wants a link just send me a message on AIM someguy1332@yahoo.com or a send a message / leave a shout on last.fm (that's in my sig).

Mous

Postby Mous » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:51 am UTC

I like the black metal.

Favorite bands being 1349, Satyricon, just about anything else Frost is in, Gorgoroth's alright, Darkthrone is cool, Marduk, Mayhem is rad, especially the whole Dead suicide thing... Horna is awesome but I've never been able to listen to Aania Yossa all the way through (21 minute long song). I miss a concert of theirs last year and it made me so sad. American black metal, tends to be ambient, is something completely different sometimes. Examples being Xasthur (one man band, its a same he can't tour) and Wolves in the Throne Room. I especially like WITTR because of their environmentalism message... Sometimes I like viking metal like Enslaved, sometimes I can't stand it. Symphonic black metal can be cool if you need a laugh, like Arcturus.

Cradle of Filth and Satyricon toured here recently, I have to admit Cradle of Filth is possibly the worst shit I've ever had to listen to...

Black metal is an interesting genre. A lot of people are into it, just because it's so frowned upon, and so obscure to most people. You can tell those people by the first time they listen to it, the look on their face is hilarious. I love the drumming and blast beats that's common in black metal, hence why Frost/Kjetil is my hero. People complain about black metal, and sometimes death metal because it's just "screaming" or "noise", but I've come to the conclusion that that's the point... The vocals are the instrument more than anything. The lyrics aren't necessarily meant to be understood, especially as you go back to the 80's and 90's.

Yeah, sorry for the ramblings, its one of my favorite subjects.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:35 am UTC

I've never gotten into Xasthur, really. I don't mind the more ambient variety of black metal, I like Lurker of Chalice, Nortt, and Velvet Cacoon (regardless of whether or not they're a joke), and I absolutely adore Wolves in the Throne Room, but his stuff just doesn't grip me at all.

Mous

Postby Mous » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:57 am UTC

I only recently got into Xasthur with his newest album, Funeral of a Being.

I also forgot Zyklon-B. They focus a lot on war and death and apocalypse, which I admire in black metal...
Upon a painted ocean.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:21 am UTC

I don't know why you would say Arcturus are only good for a laugh. Totally unique progressive black metal, almost everything about them is great. Not only that, they helped create the whole symphonic black metal genre, and did it way better then any other band.

Mous

Postby Mous » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:I don't know why you would say Arcturus are only good for a laugh. Totally unique progressive black metal, almost everything about them is great. Not only that, they helped create the whole symphonic black metal genre, and did it way better then any other band.

I like arcturus, but some of their songs sound like they belong in a video game. It's the genre, not the band.
Upon a painted ocean.

sheepe

Postby sheepe » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

Ah yes I'm really enjoying a bit of black metal recently, the typical Behemoth/Immortal/Darkthrone/Emperor etc but especially the more ambient stuff like Weakling and Wolves in the throne room.

All the people above who love Wolves in the throne room should go check out Weakling, they seem to have been the major inspiration for Wolves and are just as good or better if you can get past the rather awful (in my opinion anyway) vocal style.

Continuing the other discussion if you don't think there’s any real subgenres in metal you probably haven't listened to much outside the more mainstream stuff. There’s pretty huge differences between say symphonic black metal (emperor) and traditional "heavy metal" (maiden).

Anyone else seen the news on Varg (Burzum) being released? Thoughts on this guy seem to be pretty divided - some people thinking he'll run off and go on a killing spree with a bunch of nazis and others that he really just wants a quiet life on a farm. News here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115816 .

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:41 am UTC

Varg's got some kids, so I think he might settle down for a bit and just write down his rants in a book. Although, if he does decide to stockpile weapons or burn a church again, I don't think he's the kind of person who'd do it very anonymously. He's not socialized from all the jail he's been in, plus he likes the attention. The only thing he did that I can take seriously from him is Filosofem, so I have no hopes for new music.

Update to my last post in this thread: I bought Peste Noire's album La Sanie Des Siecles. The little manifesto in the booklet is interesting material. I'm surprised I can grasp it; my French must be improving. They name drop Cioran, Baudelaire, Nietzsche, etc. Oh, and the music is fantastic.

Mous

Postby Mous » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 am UTC

I'm assuming you've read Varg's writings online?
http://www.burzum.org/eng/library
Upon a painted ocean.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

I haven't, just interviews and news articles here and there. Are they actually any good?

Mous

Postby Mous » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Some of them are, like in A Burzum Story part 2 he talks about what happened between him and Euronymous and why he killed him. The info about paganism is also pretty interesting.
Upon a painted ocean.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Just dropping in to give the new Wolves in the Throne Room album a huge thumbs up. Not sure yet how it compares to their other releases, but the energy and emotion behind it is outstanding, and the music itself stays captivating throughout.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

WiTTR is pretty good, but I haven't given Black Cascade a listen.

I hope to see them this summer. They're on tour, fuck yeah.

Mous

Postby Mous » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

I'm going to see them this Friday. I haven't heard the new album though, I'll probably buy it then.
Upon a painted ocean.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Just thought i'd ressurect this thread.

The black metal band i've currently been listening to more then any other is Cobalt. Their latest album, Gin, is just damn amazing, sort of progressive black metal with drums that sound like Tool sometimes. If you like black metal you should check it out. (their myspace only has songs from Eater of Birds on there, but that one is very excellent as well. http://www.myspace.com/eaterofbirds)

Also the new Immortal is out, and it's very good. Probably won't top SoND in the long run, but still, very good.
:D

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 am UTC

I haven't heard of Cobalt before, but good to hear raw, thrashy black metal coming out of the US. The Metal Archives seems to have little info on the band. Anyway, good find!

Return to “Music”