Mastodon's "Crack the Skye" is Out!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Clumpy

Mastodon's "Crack the Skye" is Out!

Postby Clumpy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 am UTC

Some fine cover art here, an area in which Mastodon never disappoints:

I just picked it up a couple of days ago. The album is fairly awesome as well - it doesn't bludgeon you as much as Blood Mountain but it's still heavy and strange. I did a little write-up on my blog that's more of a Mastodon retrospective than a "Skye" review, but this is honestly my favorite since Leviathan. Has anybody else had the chance to listen to this?

Clumpy

Re: Mastodon's "Crack the Skye" is Out!

Postby Clumpy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:15 am UTC

Well, guess there aren't a lot of fans here.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Actually I've been listening to it a bit recently. It's very interesting (I mean that in a good way). I'm not too big of a fan of their other stuff , except for a few select songs, but I'm liking it so far. I need more time to form a definite opinion, but I still want to listen to it, so that's something.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

at first I thought the name (specifically the word SKYE) was retarded. and then I found out that Skye was the name of the drummer's sister, who killed herself when she was 15. And then I got sad and respectful. And I love the album.
uhhhh fuck.

Cpl. Octopus

Postby Cpl. Octopus » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Just saw the thread.

I have loved almost every album Mastodon has made, save for Remission. Crack the Skye, I think, is their best album. The first (best, imo) thing I noticed aside from the obvious change in musicality was that I could actually understand what the lyrics. I'll admit, I wasn't a big fan of it when I picked it up. The reasons I disliked the album are now the same reasons I love it.

My favorite song is Crack the Skye, but really they all are great. I love when the vocals and guitar harmonize. The only thing that bothers me is the screaming part (Mama don't let them take her). It just feels so out of place. Maybe its supposed to, I dunno.
SDIX wrote:you are so hot!!!!!

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 am UTC

i should pick up a decent sounding copy, as the leak i got was a 128kb/s piece of shit

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

Cpl. Octopus wrote:The only thing that bothers me is the screaming part (Mama don't let them take her). It just feels so out of place. Maybe its supposed to, I dunno.

Haha, that's actually my favorite part of the song, Scott Kelly's vocals. But that's probably just because I'm a huge Neurosis fan. Something about the lead singer's voice bugs me on that song though, not sure quite what.

My favorite one so far off of it is Ghost Of Karelia. Killer song and IMO the one in which they really nail the vocals, in that they fit together with the music perfectly.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

Cpl. Octopus wrote:Just saw the thread.

I have loved almost every album Mastodon has made, save for Remission. Crack the Skye, I think, is their best album. The first (best, imo) thing I noticed aside from the obvious change in musicality was that I could actually understand what the lyrics. I'll admit, I wasn't a big fan of it when I picked it up. The reasons I disliked the album are now the same reasons I love it.

My favorite song is Crack the Skye, but really they all are great. I love when the vocals and guitar harmonize. The only thing that bothers me is the screaming part (Mama don't let them take her). It just feels so out of place. Maybe its supposed to, I dunno.

Honestly, Remission didn't make much of an impact on me for some reason at first. I think it's because it wasn't a concept album and the songs were more straightforward. I've only just now gotten into it. I love Leviathan (probably still my favorite), but I don't really love Blood Mountain for whatever reason.

I love their use of melody in Skye. They do a good job of balancing the sludgy, shrieking side of their band and the "sounds like Collective Soul when not distorted" vocals. I like the slow build of The Czar in particular and the more focused heavier songs like Divinations.

ivory.irony

Postby ivory.irony » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:07 am UTC

I absolutely love the album art. This is a pretty interesting prog album.
This was the first album by Mastodon I've ever listened to and I am very tempted to listen to their other ones. Took me about two listens to get into, which isn't bad.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:38 am UTC

ivory.irony wrote:I absolutely love the album art. This is a pretty interesting prog album.
This was the first album by Mastodon I've ever listened to and I am very tempted to listen to their other ones. Took me about two listens to get into, which isn't bad.

Keep in mind that their earlier stuff is sludgier and more chaotic. Thankfully they're not necessarily softening up with their new stuff but just allowing the listener to breathe every so often.

ivory.irony

Postby ivory.irony » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:14 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
ivory.irony wrote:I absolutely love the album art. This is a pretty interesting prog album.

Keep in mind that their earlier stuff is sludgier and more chaotic. Thankfully they're not necessarily softening up with their new stuff but just allowing the listener to breathe every so often.

Meh, sounds fine to me. On another note, you're almost at 1337 posts! Horray!

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 am UTC

ivory.irony wrote:
Clumpy wrote:

Meh, sounds fine to me. On another note, you're almost at 1337 posts! Horray!

I'm the type of person who will interrupt a lecture to tell the professor when it's 9:09 9/9/09, so thanks for reminding me. Can't wait til' September (thankfully that's a Wednesday!).

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:25 am UTC

I thought the vocals improved. but other than that I think Leviathan was superior in every aspect. I think Crack the Skye is a step up from Blood Mountain, but Mastodon will have a tough time dethroning Leviathan.

I really wish they had kept that creepy ethereal melody going in The Czar, instead of having it just fall apart into "just another Mastodon song". They do this on Divinations, too: Tease you with cool banjo at the beginning, then never bring it back. They should incorporate these odd timbres into their songs instead of abandoning them.

The closer is definitely my favorite track.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

which glyph is meant to be which element?

I enjoyed it, I piecked it up as soon as it came out froma real shop (payback for having downloaded the other albums). I really like Brann's vocals on the opening track.

I like the skittish bit in the middle of the last baron, but not the yyz sounding part from it.

I like remission a lot, especially ol' nessie and mother puncher.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

crack the skye is air, leviathan is water, blood mountain is earth, and remission is fire, right?
uhhhh fuck.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:crack the skye is air, leviathan is water, blood mountain is earth, and remission is fire, right?

Yes, except I think they call it "aether" rather than "air". Deep fantasy prickishness aside (on Mastodon's part) you've got it right.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

these gyphs.

I think the first is aether/crack the sky , the second (by process of elimination) should be wood/forest and blood mountain, the third is probably a wave/water and thus, leviathan, and the last should be fire and Remission.

But seriously, what the fuck is the second one meant to be?

oh, for elements : There is a big difference between air and aether. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_(classical_element)
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:26 am UTC

Jackpot wrote:oh, for elements : There is a big difference between air and aether. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_(classical_element)

It really does, though they can be interchangeable in usage, like saltwater and freshwater.

Return to “Music”