Odd mental associations of songs?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Blaze Krakaros

Odd mental associations of songs?

Postby Blaze Krakaros » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:08 am UTC

Anyone else have completely inexplicable mental associations of things with songs?

What I am referring to is that every time I hear Demonology and Heartache, I think of One Piece.

majikthise

Re: Odd mental associations of songs?

Postby majikthise » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:52 am UTC

This happens a lot with songs used in skate videos.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

I have only explicable associations. I associate Ulver's album Bergtatt with driving around in January in my POS car, because I had that album in the CD player for that whole month.

To anyone who's listened to Bergtatt: does that fucking door slam in the middle of one track make you jump? It scares me every friggin' time.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

any time i hear jethro tull's "thick as a brick" i can't help but think of playing donkey kong country on the SNES....probably because my brother would keep that album on a loop when we would play it...

any time a cop is behind me on the highway either the "chips" theme song or the theme song to "robocop" jumps into my head immediately
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

This is slightly off topic, but my band teacher confuses a band tune we're playing named "Crystal Moon" with a jazz thing named "Cherry Point". They don't sound anything alike and he has no idea why he confuses them. Sometimes he calls out "Cherry Moon" or "Crystal Point".
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:I have only explicable associations. I associate Ulver's album Bergtatt with driving around in January in my POS car, because I had that album in the CD player for that whole month.

To anyone who's listened to Bergtatt: does that fucking door slam in the middle of one track make you jump? It scares me every friggin' time.

I've listened to the album countless times and never noticed it.
Oddly enough, I have the same associations with the album, for similar reasons.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Rando: Do you listen to different kinds of metal depending on the season? As soon as snow hits the ground, I switch over to black metal, and in the other seasons it can vary from death metal to classic stuff like Maiden and Priest.

Mous

Postby Mous » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Different bands sound like different times for me.
Like Catch 22 sounds like 8th grade, and Mayhem and Burzum sound like 7th grade, Nirvana sounds like 3rd grade, and Flogging Molly sounds like winter break a couple years ago, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones sound like kindergarden for some reason. But Marduk and Darkthrone sound like last year. Mayhem also sounds like this year, I guess. And ambient black metal definitely sounds like this year. uhh... It gets a bit jumbled.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

I associate this with the color green
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

The song "Money (That's what I want)" reminds me of Valentine's day. I wish I could remember why...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

the_stabbage wrote:Rando: Do you listen to different kinds of metal depending on the season? As soon as snow hits the ground, I switch over to black metal, and in the other seasons it can vary from death metal to classic stuff like Maiden and Priest.
I live in southern California, we don't get much by way of seasons other than "warmer" and "colder." However, for colder weather I definitely find myself listening to darker music.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

Different bands sound like different times for me.
Like Catch 22 sounds like 8th grade, and Mayhem and Burzum sound like 7th grade, Nirvana sounds like 3rd grade, and Flogging Molly sounds like winter break a couple years ago, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones sound like kindergarden for some reason. But Marduk and Darkthrone sound like last year. Mayhem also sounds like this year, I guess. And ambient black metal definitely sounds like this year. uhh... It gets a bit jumbled.

I'm pretty much like that. Catch 22 and Reel Big Fish are 7th and 8th grade. Iced Earth and Iron Maiden and power metal is from 6th and 7th grade. Big Mountain and Bob Marley are my early childhood, as is James Taylor.

And whenever I hear the Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, or Jethro Tull I remember my childhood, because my parents played those records sooo much.
Bad Religion's song You makes me think of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, which me and my friends would sit around and play for like hours in elementary school.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Counting Crows (Specifically August and Everything After) = My backyard as a kid
Pinkerton by Weezer = Marching band, freshman year of high school
Pressure Chief by Cake = Driving to school in 7th grade

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

Linkin Park--In The End = Fullmetal Alchemist.
The Killers--Mr.Brightside = Lucozade (I don't even drink it!).
My Chemical romance--Famous Last Words = Deathnote, when L dies.
Signatures are for chumps.

Return to “Music”