"I just don't get it" Thread.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Re: "I just don't get it" Thread.

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:19 am UTC

No, the metric of popular opinion is mostly perverted by money. Very few artists make it on to commercial radio or television without a little financial push from the label. Maybe if you took fans as a percentage of people who are aware of the artist, that would weed out dreck like Katy Perry, and reflect the merit of bands who were not lucky enough (or too idealistic) to ride the corporate elevator.

I have often considered how effective some cosmic distribution table demonstrating the frequency of listens per artist per person over time would be. Sure, it would raise artists of "lasting" merit over the many flavours of the month. But would it put a bias on older artists, or artists with more diverse output?

Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:25 am UTC

Fair enough. But I see people here treating popular music, like Soulja Boy who I am at least amused by, as if it is objectively bad in some way and that is just ridiculous when their favorite artists aren't as popularly liked most likely.

I think it would most definitely put a bias on older artists. In addition is a song that deeply affected you the first listen but didn't have the same magic the next few times around worse than a song that only touched you a little but maintained it so you listened to it more than twice?

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:36 am UTC

I don't believe there is any objective metric of what makes a good artist. There are objective things you can say about musicians and their relations to other musicians (for example, you can fairly objectively say that band A sounds similar to band B, that band A plays more upbeat music, etc) but those don't carry any value. Which is why I find it strange when I say I don't like, say, Dream Theater, and people respond talking about how skilled they are. You might judge your love of an artist on technical proficiency, but that alone doesn't objectively correlate to goodness.

And almost every metric can go out the window. I like raw recordings, unusual melodies or the incorporation of noise or dissonance, and unusual voices. I also think I Kissed a Girl and Hot n' Cold are fun songs that I enjoy listening to.

In keeping with my earlier reference, I'll put Dream Theater on my list of artists I just don't get. As a former mega-fan, I've listened to their entire discography up through Octavarium, multiple times. There was a time when Scenes from a Memory was my favorite album, period, and Awake and Images & Words were up there too. I listen to them now and cannot find anything likable.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:20 am UTC

6453893 wrote:The person who decides that an artist sucks based only on their hit singles is as bad as one who decides they are great based only on said singles. If you are watching a hit channel, or listening to a radio, you are only hearing a small fraction of the artist's output. Everybody here probably knows Kanye West, and I will hazard to say most everybody here dislikes him. However, I doubt more than one or two of you have listened to a single full album of his, let alone his full discography. You can't judge the idiots who love his music until you have at least heard an album from start to finish. And if you do, I think you'll realize how much more versatile he is than 'Stronger' or 'Gold Digger'. There are some inexcusably bad musicians, sure (Nickelback and Oasis (of the past decade), I am looking at you). But so many legit artists get dismissed out of hand because one song, one song of theirs becomes popular.

I've manage to survive half a Soulja Boy album. I can tell you that his music should be considered a form of torture, and I don't think that the other half would've been miraculously orgasmic. So at the very least, I can add one to the tally.

Cheshire wrote:One side of me hates being that one guy online who likes hip/hop, R&B and pop....

I find some songs from those genres to sound appealing as well, but they're few-and-far in-between, and most of my friends (a good portion of them primarily listening to classic/old school rock and metal) criticize modern hip-hop so often that I good and well that I should keep my damned mouth shut about it.

Call me crazy or ignorant, but I'm fearful for the future of music. Period.

Let me add Basshunter into our little bash fest. Sometimes he produces great sounds, other times -- such as now -- I run short of negative adjectives.

He also acts arrogant at times. For example, a close friend of mine knew Basshunter back in his IRC days. They went pretty deep with FL Studio and its functions -- my friend says that when he first heard Basshunter's tracks, "[he] thought my ears were itching." I can honestly ask him to be more specific if you don't believe me. When he got more popular with his music, my friend approached him, and Basshunter denied that they knew each other.

EDIT: I listened to some more Aphex. He's far from terrible, but I'm still not getting how people consider him to be so spectacular.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:55 am UTC

Hooch wrote:I've manage to survive half a Soulja Boy album. I can tell you that his music should be considered a form of torture, and I don't think that the other half would've been miraculously orgasmic. So at the very least, I can add one to the tally.

I'm sorry that you dislike his music. I happen to like it. I'm sure there is some music you like that I would find just horrible. All we have determined is that people have different taste in music.

Cheshire wrote:One side of me hates being that one guy online who likes hip/hop, R&B and pop....

Hooch wrote:I find some songs from those genres to sound appealing as well, but they're few-and-far in-between, and most of my friends (a good portion of them primarily listening to classic/old school rock and metal) criticize modern hip-hop so often that I good and well that I should keep my damned mouth shut about it.

Which is funny cause around my parts people have learned to live in harmony and have accepted diverging ideas of quality music. I am of course lying because most of my friends dis hard on my upbeat pop music but the connection between Underground stuff and Old stuff isn't as harsh as it seems to be in your circle.

Hooch wrote:Call me crazy or ignorant, but I'm fearful for the future of music. Period.

You aren't crazy but I could call this an ignorant statement. In that it is exactly like the statement people of every generation make as music changes. Its been interesting to watch it happen in my own.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:44 am UTC

6453893 wrote:The person who decides that an artist sucks based only on their hit singles is as bad as one who decides they are great based only on said singles. If you are watching a hit channel, or listening to a radio, you are only hearing a small fraction of the artist's output. Everybody here probably knows Kanye West, and I will hazard to say most everybody here dislikes him. However, I doubt more than one or two of you have listened to a single full album of his, let alone his full discography. You can't judge the idiots who love his music until you have at least heard an album from start to finish. And if you do, I think you'll realize how much more versatile he is than 'Stronger' or 'Gold Digger'. There are some inexcusably bad musicians, sure (Nickelback and Oasis (of the past decade), I am looking at you). But so many legit artists get dismissed out of hand because one song, one song of theirs becomes popular.
And yet, the song that gets popular is ... completely bland pulp, regardless of how experimental and edgy their main body of work is.

I mean, Hit Music Stations don't play stuff that's good. They play stuff that's the least offensive to the most listeners. They just need to play stuff that will keep as many people as possible from punching their radios until the sound stops, which is probably why they play the same 20 or so songs over and over again. There's nothing edgy or thought-provoking, no clever wordplay or anything that's difficult to understand. Everything's catchy and rhythmic, with nothing that changes beats and rhythms throughout. It's all ... simple is probably the best word for it. Not that it's necessarily bad, mind you, but it's not complex at all.

Some people don't care about the lyrical content, so you have to make sure the music is listenable. Some people prefer lyrical content, so you have to make sure it's more than just "Ba ba ba" over and over. Some people like basslines, some like backbeats, some like this and that and all sorts of different things, so if you're trying to throw the biggest net and get the largest sample, you have to appeal to all of these people. You don't have to make them happy, you just have to make them not grumble. If you can get them to sit through the six songs you play before you hit the one they actually wouldn't mind owning, you've succeeded in your job as a Radio Station.

It's no one person or group's fault, really. Everyone's pretty much to blame for it, from the bands playing it to the record executives promoting it to the radios playing it to the people listening to it and buying it - it's a never ending circle of mediocrity.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:50 am UTC

Oh boy, I couldn't have picked worse music to not get.

Radiohead. All of it.
Trance/House/Hardcore/Drum'n'Bass/Industrial/etc. Electronic music in general. It all sounds the damn same to me. The only electronic music I've found myself to enjoy is BT.

Also, if you're one of the .05% of the population (If it's even that much) who is willing to defend atonal music, I would like to have a word with you. I'm all for experimental music, from minimalism to Xenakis to Crumb, but every time someone suggests that atonal music is somehow OK, a little part of me dies. I'm alright with using atonality as a tool (see Charles Ives), but it can't stand on its own. Not in my opinion.

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 am UTC

Are you sure 'atonal' is the word you are looking for? Because most classical composers dropped the rigorous tonal structuring rules in the 1800s. Maybe you are referring to dissonance?

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:07 am UTC

Again, I think most of the problem goes back to the labels. Even the concept of a "single" stems from industrial needs and not artistic ones. It is in a label's best interest to inundate you with ten songs from one artist, no matter how good all of those songs are. It is far better to pay a radio station to play one song a hundred times than to play a whole album ten. It drives the tune of that particular song in to people's heads and builds a strong musical identity for the artist. Of course they choose the most hook-driven, accessible music to push. Of course the more universally accessible a song is, the less likely it is to contain any personally relatable content.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote:Trance/House/Hardcore/Drum'n'Bass/Industrial/etc. Electronic music in general. It all sounds the damn same to me. The only electronic music I've found myself to enjoy is BT.

Any particular artists in those genres?
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

I would like to have a word with you.

Okay okay!

I'm all for experimental music, from minimalism to Xenakis to Crumb, but every time someone suggests that atonal music is somehow OK, a little part of me dies. I'm alright with using atonality as a tool (see Charles Ives), but it can't stand on its own. Not in my opinion.

Well, I think your opinion is silly. Not all of us have delicate candy ears. And some of us like harsh sounds that can stand on their own merit. Not when they're simply used as flavoring for a song.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

There's more to music than melody, something can be atonal and still have fantastic texture and structure.

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

I just noticed his name was 'SkaBassist', which says everything you need to know about his musical leanings.

screech

Postby screech » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 am UTC

65daysofstatic are the only band I can think of easily that I don't understand.

I like vaguely experimental music going from a rock base; it's probably half the rock I listen to. But they just seem oddly bland. I've a feeling they might be more of a live show band.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 am UTC

I have similar feelings about Explosions in the Sky.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:54 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
I would like to have a word with you.

Okay okay!

I'm all for experimental music, from minimalism to Xenakis to Crumb, but every time someone suggests that atonal music is somehow OK, a little part of me dies. I'm alright with using atonality as a tool (see Charles Ives), but it can't stand on its own. Not in my opinion.

Well, I think your opinion is silly. Not all of us have delicate candy ears. And some of us like harsh sounds that can stand on their own merit. Not when they're simply used as flavoring for a song.

Some of us would like not to get pounding headaches from the music they're listening to. I derive more enjoyment from standing under an overpass and listening to cars on the highway than some current experimental music.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Incidentally, I find the sound of subway cars and, to a lesser extent, freeways, to be soothing, enjoyable, and almost musical, and would probably quite like an album of music that resembled it.

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:44 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Some of us would like not to get pounding headaches from the music they're listening to. I derive more enjoyment from standing under an overpass and listening to cars on the highway than some current experimental music.

Yeah, it's a real shame how we are forced to listen to music we don't like. I hate that experimental stuff too. If only we could choose to stop listening to it, we wouldn't have to waste our time ranting about how unfair it is that we are literally made to listen to music we don't like.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 am UTC

Yes, I am sure atonal is the word I'm looking for. Maybe I could have been more specific (serialism, set theory, that sort of thing).

Marbas wrote:Well, I think your opinion is silly. Not all of us have delicate candy ears. And some of us like harsh sounds that can stand on their own merit. Not when they're simply used as flavoring for a song.

I like and listen to harsh sounds (noise rock, the more experimental Ornette Coleman, the aforementioned Ives and Crumb) - that's not the problem. The part I dislike is the rabid masturbatory "intellectualism" (Schoenberg, Stockhausen)

Also, the last time I checked, ad hominem attacks are a bad thing. Come on, let's not be douchebags here.

I suppose I could question to you guys would be, what would intentionally bad music be? In this case, bad meaning unenjoyable. Because if I were to make music that I tried to make sound bad purposefully, it would come out something like Stockhausen.

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Well then that's a perfectly legitimate standpoint. As long as you are referring to what to what you think you are referring.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:05 am UTC

I was thinking you might be talking about serialism etc, but I wasn't sure, so I wrote a response applicable to both that and noise music.
Like I said, I find that the structure, texture, and emotion is still present, it just doesn't rely directly on the melody. But, really, I can't defend it beyond saying that it just sounds good to me. Or at least, it has the potential to, I've not liked every atonal piece I've listened to.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:17 am UTC

SkaBassist wrote:I suppose I could question to you guys would be, what would intentionally bad music be? In this case, bad meaning unenjoyable. Because if I were to make music that I tried to make sound bad purposefully, it would come out something like Stockhausen.

scientists created a song that's supposed to be the worst song in the world using polls and surveys on peoples least favorite sounds/chord progressions/etc

ironically, a lot of people liked it

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 am UTC

aaron wrote:
SkaBassist wrote:I suppose I could question to you guys would be, what would intentionally bad music be? In this case, bad meaning unenjoyable. Because if I were to make music that I tried to make sound bad purposefully, it would come out something like Stockhausen.

scientists created a song that's supposed to be the worst song in the world using polls and surveys on peoples least favorite sounds/chord progressions/etc

ironically, a lot of people liked it

They were pretty much doomed to fail. How could a rapping soprano opera singer not be awesome?

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:21 am UTC

it wasn't like that. i found the source though.

Amazingly, this "most unwanted music" contains little dissonance — that would have been too easy. For the most part, they seem to have tried to assemble these elements in a listenable way.

Komar & Melamid and David Soldier’s list of undesirable elements included holiday music, bagpipes, pipe organ, a children’s chorus and the concept of children in general (really?), Wal-Mart, cowboys, political jingoism, George Stephanopoulos, Coca Cola, bossanova synths, banjo ferocity, harp glissandos, oompah-ing tubas and much, much more. It’s actually a fascinating listen, worthwhile for the opera rapping alone. (We didn’t think that was possible either.)

http://www.wired.com/listening_post/200 ... ntific-at/

edit - haha you're right though. rapping opera singer at about 1:30, which leads into a bagpipe solo. this is kind of cool.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:16 am UTC

I find that most music is bad because it's trite or boring, or in some way works against itself (a song that tries, but fails, to stir emotion, lyrics that think they're clever but aren't). This song doesn't fit any of those categories.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:37 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:also, this thread is full of people who secretly don't know anything about music but love to criticize groups and say that they aren't music.
After all, before the full might of Mahler's symphonies, everything else is just noise.

More seriously, what do you define as "knowing music". There are many definitions. One is to say you know harmony, counterpoint, orchestrations and the like. Another is to say knowing the difference between different styles, but that can easily get vague, as I can probably not distinguish between punk/metal/rock while another person cannot distinguish between baroque/classical/romantic. Saying something is good/bad will be even worse because it is subjective.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:20 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:
scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:also, this thread is full of people who secretly don't know anything about music but love to criticize groups and say that they aren't music.
After all, before the full might of Mahler's symphonies, everything else is just noise.

More seriously, what do you define as "knowing music". There are many definitions. One is to say you know harmony, counterpoint, orchestrations and the like. Another is to say knowing the difference between different styles, but that can easily get vague, as I can probably not distinguish between punk/metal/rock while another person cannot distinguish between baroque/classical/romantic. Saying something is good/bad will be even worse because it is subjective.

I don't know anything about pre-20th century music except separating romantic music from other "types of classical" (because I really only listen to maybe two or three romantic composers), but I think that I know quite a bit about music, especially for a teenager. I'm really bad at criticizing music because I can listen to almost anything. Really. From Nickelback to Debussy to Merzbow. There are just some styles I appreciate more than others. (I definitely prefer Debussy over Merzbow and almost anything over Nickelback. There are almost always exceptions.)

I think that scrt_rbt_agnt's comment was kind of useless, like saying 4chan is full of trolls (yes, I did just compare this topic to 4chan), because the people who know that the comment is wrong are generally smart enough to not respond to it, and the people who know the comment refer to them are generally also smart enough not to respond to it. I'm not sure if the comment applies to me or not.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:33 am UTC

kaniman2 wrote:I don't know anything about pre-20th century music except separating romantic music from other "types of classical" (because I really only listen to maybe two or three romantic composers), but I think that I know quite a bit about music, especially for a teenager. I'm really bad at criticizing music because I can listen to almost anything. Really. From Nickelback to Debussy to Merzbow. There are just some styles I appreciate more than others. (I definitely prefer Debussy over Merzbow and almost anything over Nickelback. There are almost always exceptions.)
My point was that one cannot have a good definition of what "knowing music" means, since there are just so many different faces of music. (Unless, of course, someone comes to me and proves that he has all knowledge of all music from ancient Egypt to 2009. Everything from theory, history, style, etc.)

The_Entertainer

Postby The_Entertainer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:00 am UTC

Cecil Taylor. He has played to huge audiences and makes unnecessary amounts of money for beating up perfectly good pianos. He is the Gallagher of music.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
- Plato

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

Adding to the whole "atonality" debate, here is an intensely dissonant and "atonal" piece that I still find chilling and beautiful, in a very empty, dark, despairing way. I wouldn't want to listen to this kind of stuff all the time, but it's still enjoyable in an entirely different way. Noise, when used in the right way, can be just as musical as anything else.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

cheezitman2001

Postby cheezitman2001 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

I think OK Computer and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea might be two of my least favorite albums of all time. It's really frustrating, too, because everyone talks about how magnificent they are, but I just absolutely abhor Thom Yorke's voice, and I found In the Aeroplane to be actually physically grating on my eardrums.

Fitter Happier, though, is a masterpiece, and is far and away my favorite song on the album, and the only one at all that I really like.

kaniman2

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

cheezitman2001 wrote:Fitter Happier, though, is a masterpiece, and is far and away my favorite song on the album, and the only one at all that I really like.

I have a friend who can't listen to a lot of music, including Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel (and lots of other bands including Led Zeppelin and Pavement), because he has really high standards when it comes to what he likes in a vocalist's voice. I let him borrow OK Computer over the course of a weekend. At first he hated it and then eventually he told me he "understood" the album, and the only track he really hated was Fitter Happier, calling it an artsy bullshit filler track. I agree with "artsy" and "track". When he uses the word "artsy" he usually uses it as a negative adjective though. OK Computer was never my favorite Radiohead album because I find it too depressing but I like all the songs.

I would add to the topic but I don't really hate anything at the moment.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
Spoiler:

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 am UTC

cheezitman2001 wrote:I found In the Aeroplane to be actually physically grating on my eardrums.
Jeff Magnum's voice takes a while to "get"...I used to hate everything on that album except for the title track, and now I consider it one of my favorite albums of all time. His voice is pretty grating, I agree, but I can't imagine anyone else singing the songs on that album and doing half as good a job, and after a while his voice stops sounding so annoying. At least for me it did. For some people, I guess Neutral Milk Hotel just isn't their thing.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Postby 6453893 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:I used to hate everything on that album except for the title track

Funny, that is still the only song I don't love through and through, and the only one I tend to hit skip on after about three quarters of the way through.

kaniman2 wrote:I agree with "artsy" and "track". When he uses the word "artsy" he usually uses it as a negative adjective though.

I think you mean he uses the word "artsy" pejoratively.

kaniman2

Postby kaniman2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:12 am UTC

That's right. My grammar sucks.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
Spoiler:

Postby 6453893 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:59 am UTC

You mean your vocabulary sucks. No shame in it. Pejorative is a great word a lot of people don't know, but everybody should have the pleasure of using.

canoemoose

Postby canoemoose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:06 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I also think I Kissed a Girl and Hot n' Cold are fun songs that I enjoy listening to.

This. I find there are a lot of songs which I can listen to and enjoy, and yet I wouldn't have gone out of my way to listen to if I hadn't been listening to Radio 1 while making my canoe because the radio I have in my garage doesn't recieve the radio station I normally listen to[1].
I do have a very wide taste in music though. I for one actually like Coldplay, althoug I didn't realise I did until I listened to the whole of Viva la Vida & Prospekt's March back-to-back when I was bored one day, about 2 months after I'd been given the album. Previous to this I just tolerated them.
I don't get what I think is hiphop. Snoop Dogg, Dizzee Rascal etc. However, I like The Streets and Handlebars by Flobots. What genre is this?

I'm going to burn the Most Unwanted Music to CD and play it to people who make fun of my music taste. Bits of it are aweful, other bits are actually OK. Ho Hum, can't (dis)please them all!

tl;dr: I think I'm trying to say that songs don't have to be good or even original for me to enjoy listening to them.

[1] This sentence contains appalling(sp?) grammer.
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

I left the Newgrounds Audio Portal for multiple reasons, and the statement below was icing on the cake and the cherry on top.

It's well understood that the Newgrounds members jizz their pants over video game and classical/baroque/romantic remixes. However, I recall a particular artist taking piano arrangements of video games, copying and pasting them onto the FL Studio piano synth, and uploading them with very little editing of his own. For some reason, it was praised and awarded like crazy.

Hooray for 100 posts.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Tool. I just listened to 10,000 Years again and my opinion of it since I first bought it has dropped from not that great to laughably bad. Then I thought, OK, a lot of people didn't like this album a lot, but everyone loves Lateralus, I know I used to. So I listened to a few tracks from it (other than the singles which I've heard a thousand times) and it was the same deal: boring lyrics, boring melodies with a few catchy hooks. It's like they've taken the concept of weird time signatures and based an entire band around them, which is apparently enough for people to crown them as geniuses that other people just can't get, because the music is too complex for them. The riffs are decent, I guess, the vocals are ok sometimes, but it's only really "profound" if you're comparing it to radio rock. And the only Tool album I really like is Aenima, which isn't even that different than a lot of radio rock.

And yet I look at youtube and message boards and see comments like "seeing tool live was the most profound experience of my life" and "I can only listen to Tool alone, it's too personal to be shared," and every naysayer obviously just doesn't understand such complex, profound music, because understanding Tool is the height of intellectuality. Every band has the fans that say "if you don't like this, I don't trust your opinion on music" but Tool is one of the few bands (maybe The Mars Volta, whose first few albums I did enjoy quite a bit, are up there as well) whose fans actually believe they are intellectually superior for being capable of enjoying them.

I also don't get why they use so much psychedelic imagery, since the music is really not very psychedelic at all, and the harder they try to be (Lost Keys, Rosetta Stoned) the more ridiculous they sound.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:It's like they've taken the concept of weird time signatures and based an entire band around them, which is apparently enough for people to crown them as geniuses that other people just can't get, because the music is too complex for them. The riffs are decent, I guess, the vocals are ok sometimes, but it's only really "profound" if you're comparing it to radio rock. And the only Tool album I really like is Aenima, which isn't even that different than a lot of radio rock.
Le Sacre du Printemps? Granted Le Sacre is so much cooler.

Return to “Music”