Oh look another headphone topic...

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Zachh

Oh look another headphone topic...

Postby Zachh » Tue May 26, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

Okay so I've been working with a pair of Shure Se115s and there are pretty decent for walking around the isles at work but I want something more serious. Mainly over-the-ear headphones my budget is 150-175$. I've used my fathers' Bose but I've done some research and I've concluded that Bose are a rip-off. So does anybody have a suggestion?
void applythefunny(){
if (isrReading) {
currentJoke--;
} else {
System.err.println("Thats the joke!");
}
}

|Erasmus|
Branson

Re: Oh look another headphone topic...

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

Sennheiser.

There are a lot of people on here who will agree. Just get the best ones you can with that budget. 555, 595... I am not sure what prices in the US are like. I had the same budget over here (Australia) and could only get a pair of 515s (Australian dollars though, and all that stuff is more expensive). They are amazing headphones, though, and you will not be disappointed.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu May 28, 2009 1:11 am UTC

I agree about Sennheiser. I paid $30 for my HD202 headphones, and they're great. I can only imagine what a few more bucks would get you.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu May 28, 2009 8:12 am UTC

Just wanted to add my vote for Sennheiser. I have HD-25s (for DJ use), great headphones. Any headphones which come with a little booklet about acoustic theory (i.e. why the headphones are designed in the way they were) is OK in my book :)

peter

Postby peter » Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 am UTC

QC2 ftw. :P

I got my pair when it was on discount, though.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Fri May 29, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

I use the Equation RP-21 headphones, and I really like them. Or I did until the right ear started failing on me >_>. Still, I think they're the best pair of headphones I've owned yet in this price range, and I find them very comfortable for long periods of time. My interests are geared specifically toward audio production and mixing, though, not sure how much that makes a difference--they're pretty great just for listening to "consumer" audio too.

At any rate, definitely do not get the Sennheiser HD 202s. They're quickly uncomfortable and they have a rather limited frequency response (only up to 18khz apparently). Everyone says great things about Sennheiser, and those things are probably true, but this model in particular is pretty bad. 'Course, it's evidently in the $20-30 range, which is well below what you were looking to spend anyway, so it shouldn't matter. But just sayin'.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Xutar

Postby Xutar » Sat May 30, 2009 2:37 am UTC

Headphones I currently own are Skullcandy Skullcrushers
Works great for Rock and metal.
Lighter listening I use Audio Technica ATH-EM7

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat May 30, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

I don't suppose theres a way to get sennheiser headphones with an attached mic? None of them appear to have one...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun May 31, 2009 7:20 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I don't suppose theres a way to get sennheiser headphones with an attached mic? None of them appear to have one...

I'd doubt it. Things that make good music listening headphones are not the same things that make good gaming headphones.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun May 31, 2009 10:35 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I don't suppose theres a way to get sennheiser headphones with an attached mic? None of them appear to have one...

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets_pc_pro-gaming

not sure if the sound quality as good as the higher end headphones, but they do make gaming headsets.

Girdot

Postby Girdot » Sun May 31, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

I'm currently rocking a new pair of px100's and their flipping amazing for the price point. And the folding is a very nice feature; they actually fit in my pocket.

Zachh

Postby Zachh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:

I'd doubt it. Things that make good music listening headphones are not the same things that make good gaming headphones.

No they got them

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_he ... skype-voip
void applythefunny(){
if (isrReading) {
currentJoke--;
} else {
System.err.println("Thats the joke!");
}
}

v1ND

Postby v1ND » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:54 am UTC

Check out the Astro A40. Fairly pricey but one of the few audiophile/gamer cross-overs.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/det ... 0-Headset/

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:10 am UTC

Xutar wrote:Headphones I currently own are Skullcandy Skullcrushers
Works great for Rock and metal.

skullcandy headphones are generally frowned upon because of their cost. for example, the sennheiser px100s have a much better frequency range, less THD, and i got mine for 30~

MHD

Postby MHD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:02 am UTC

v1ND wrote:http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/4/A40-Headset/

Also the Saitek Pro Flight headset being a little cheaper and just as cool.
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

Jeremy22

Postby Jeremy22 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

I could recommend the AKG K301Xtra Headphones, I've been using them for two years, and really like their sound... I don't know, maybe they are a tad too big if you want to listen to music while walking outside, but they would fit into your price-range...

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

Along the same lines as the OP, I'm trying to decide between two models of "earbud" style headphones: Sony MDR-EX71SL and Sennheiser CX 200.

Any recommendations?

Return to “Music”