House Shows

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SkaBassist

House Shows

Postby SkaBassist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

You guys been to any good house/basement shows?

I went to see Best Friends Forever last week, it was fucking fantastic. The first opening "band" was some sort of performance art thing. The violin player continually cut pieces of his shirt out, and the drummer put a showercap filled with jello over his head and screamed at a picture of Jesus. The drummer ran around three floor toms and a cymbal which was hooked up to a mic which they distorted. The female vocalist screamed through a toy megaphone the whole time. It was very odd. We later found out this group was called "Fred Zeppelin and the Meatles"

The second band was called Drug Mountain. They were a noise rock outfit, and they kicked some serious ass. Apparently they recorded with Steve Albini. We got to hang out with them after the show, which was really cool. That's one of the benefits of a house show - very close proximity to the bands.

Best Friends Forever was last, and they were all I expected them to be. They were also very nice, and the audience of around 20 people talked to them in between songs.

There needs to be more house shows. It's just the kind of intimacy you can't get anywhere else.

ChocloManx

Re: House Shows

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

SkaBassist wrote:The first opening "band" was some sort of performance art thing. The violin player continually cut pieces of his shirt out, and the drummer put a showercap filled with jello over his head and screamed at a picture of Jesus. The drummer ran around three floor toms and a cymbal which was hooked up to a mic which they distorted. The female vocalist screamed through a toy megaphone the whole time. It was very odd. We later found out this group was called "Fred Zeppelin and the Meatles"

Perhaps they've been reading too much pfsc
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

i enjoy house shows a lot and i go to them whenever i can. a few years ago i saw silver apples and pterodactyl at a house show in brooklyn, ny and a few months ago i saw a place to bury strangers and dinowalrus at a house venue on the lower east side (manhattan). those are the only notable ones i've been to besides seeing my friend's bands play and/or playing house shows myself. they are my favorite venues to play although i haven't done any shows in a while.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 am UTC

I've been to a house show for a band made up of a bunch of my friends, but never any others. I REALLY want to go to some, but I never can find the right times.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Return to “Music”