How many different types of music do you listen to?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

GoodRudeFun

How many different types of music do you listen to?

Postby GoodRudeFun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:19 am UTC

So I now have five different Pandora stations that I switch between. I have a ska station my friend sent me that replaced my old ska station, I have a station that plays music similar to Jonathan Coultan, and I have two newly created stations, one is based off of motion city sound track (yeah yeah, I know, I really don't care either), and another is made from typing in Arcade Fire.

I have another Rise Against station that I made but never really listen to because I had all the rise against I needed on my computer, but for some reason one album was deleted some how. So if you count that, I now have six stations to listen to when ever I want a switch.

Aside from those stations I also listen other various types of music, I have flogging molly and other types of punk music as well as some classic rock type music (mostly billy joel).

So how eclectic are you? There are millions of different kinds of music out there, how many do you listen to?
Oh. Well that's alright then.

Gaydar2000SE

Re: How many different types of music do you listen to?

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:50 am UTC

It depends on where you draw the line between types? Or how you even class them. One could class ritual ambient and lowercase together as 'downtempo', one could class ritual ambient and trance as 'hypnotic', one could class dark ambient and musique concrete as 'abstract music' and so on and so on.

The mighty swarm intelligence that is the internet thinks this however:

^ :/

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:15 am UTC

Most types? I don't know. Listing all the genres feels like name-dropping just to fuel my own ego about having eclectic tastes.

I don't really care about genre. I probably listen predominantly to black metal and American folk / indie-folk music. Psychedelic music of any variety is up there too, and I'll expand that to include doom, funeral doom, drone, ambient/dark ambient, noise, and noise-rock just because I find that the artists in those genres I like most, I like most because of the psychedelic influence in their music. I've been really getting into psychedelic folk/drone as of late, like Six Organs of Admittance or more experimental and noisy bands like Charalambides, who've locked quite nicely into a niche I never knew existed. My top-played tracks on iTunes are split evenly between Neutral Milk Hotel and Okkervil River, with one Pig Destroyer track up there along with them.

When I'm drinking I usually like to listen to Parliament/Funkadelic or Wu-Tang Clan, NWA, and other rap of that variety. For a while I was listening predominantly to screamo (city of caterpillar, pg.99, etc) and Joanna Newsom. I had a brief Current 93 kick, and every now and then I'll listen to nothing but Spiderland by Slint for a day or two because it's just that awesome. The best show I ever went to is a tie between Converge and Kayo Dot.

I guess if I could sum it up (and there's definitely stuff I love that defies this) I would say strong emotion or passion, not heavily-produced. I love sound textures, the way they interact with the environment and the recording equipment, the way a great tube distortion wavers with every note, the sound of a voice just barely peaking in the microphone. The things I love about music can crop up in any genre.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:19 am UTC

Thou art concurred with.

Besides, it has to be noted that if people say they 'listen to any kind of music', it usually means they just know very little music. Usually if you pass them some Merzbow they freak.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:25 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Besides, it has to be noted that if people say they 'listen to any kind of music', it usually means they just know very little music. Usually if you pass them some Merzbow they freak.
Around here, it's almost always followed by "except country and rap. But my favorite bands are Green Day and Sublime," and it basically translates to "anything on rock radio, and one or two slightly obscure indie bands my friend likes."

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:Besides, it has to be noted that if people say they 'listen to any kind of music', it usually means they just know very little music. Usually if you pass them some Merzbow they freak.
Around here, it's almost always followed by "except country and rap. But my favorite bands are Green Day and Sublime," and it basically translates to "anything on rock radio, and one or two slightly obscure indie bands my friend likes."
Ahahaha,

or those people that claim they have an openminded taste because 'they don't limit themselves to one subgerne of metal', seriously, I'd rather like the people that do. At least then they listen to music for some thing more than 'the guitar sound' maybe some thing deeper like the melodies, the rhythm, the structures, you know.

That some thing is 'metal' is probably the most superficial quality of music. I'm personally quite keen on hypnotic, abstract and atmosphaeric music, thus I for instance listen to various forms of ritual ambient, also some black metal, some doom metal, some ambient noise, some trance, shoegaze, experimental post rock, oh yaahh, t.A.T.u. baby.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:09 am UTC

I like only the Beatles. Every other band and musician is vastly inferior. Especially metal, lol. People who listen to metal don't understand good music at all!
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:11 am UTC

lol no blink 182 all the way!!

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:34 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I like only the Beatles. Every other band and musician is vastly inferior. Especially metal, ¡This cheese is burning me!. People who listen to metal don't understand good music at all!
I win, as I can read your sarcasm, and not the reverse.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:49 am UTC

What exactly did you win? =/
Honestly, the Beatles is all I listen to. Ask anyone. I do listen to a little VU though.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

screech

Postby screech » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Thou art concurred with.

Besides, it has to be noted that if people say they 'listen to any kind of music', it usually means they just know very little music. Usually if you pass them some Merzbow they freak.

Ah, so very true. I do actually link them to Merzbow or Drukqs-era Aphex whenever I hear that, if I have any on hand.

For me, the music I actually listen to is a small percentage of the music I know about. I'll listen to anything if I like it; but generally I don't hear neofolk or black metal that I like because I simply don't look into it, in anticipation that my musical time can be spent more efficiently than just downloading random things.

Recommendations are the important thing here.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:40 am UTC

sje46 wrote:What exactly did you win? =/
Honestly, the Beatles is all I listen to. Ask anyone. I do listen to a little VU though.

well, one could say that I win because I don't listen to the Beatles.

Also, I actually have to admit that I hate music, there are just some exceptions to that rule. Of all the music there is, I like such a small percentage that I am to conclude that I, and most people, hate music.

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:37 am UTC

"but rap and country" is the litmus test for a /mu/tant. That combination of words sends them in to a kind of seizure.

But yeah, I guess I listen to anything but rap and country.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:42 am UTC

6453893 wrote:"but rap and country" is the litmus test for a /mu/tant. That combination of words sends them in to a kind of seizure.

But yeah, I guess I listen to anything but rap and country.
Agreed dawg, R&B is where it counts.

Phill

Postby Phill » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Ahhh... a thread about being eclectic. I don't know if anyone else agrees with this but it seems to me people like to brag about how eclectic their music taste is. It's basically a different form of dick swinging ... "I'm more eclectic than you!"

As if somehow eclecticism (is that a word?) in itself is the be all and end all of musical taste and if you only like a few types of music there is something wrong with you.

... but then I mainly listen to popular music, so I would say that ;)

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 am UTC

Categorizing music by genre is ridiculous anyway.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

I have several token genre albums. I don't dive very deep into some genres, but I do have some connection to them. It's like saying I like rock because I have a Beatles album, or ice cream because I like chocolate, but still!

Cajun - Zachary Richard, Beausoliel
French Pop - Gerald De Palmas, Jean-Jacques Goldman
French Rock - Telephone
French Rap - 3eme Oeil
Russian Church Music
Flamenco - Ottmar Liebert

are the really oddball ones.

Then there's a few with various degrees of techno/electronic/drum+bass, rock from about every era/subgenre (including ska), a very little bit of metal, some older country (Merle), some contemporary bluegrass, some Texas Country (a little bit rockier, but still keeps the twang. My favorite of the crew being Cory Morrow and Cross Canadian Ragweed; fux Pat Green), some newer pop country, little bit of old jazz (Billie Holiday).. and that's the majority of em. I could self fellate even further, but naaaaah.

I am however sorely lacking in most R&B and early 90's rap.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

'Destiny's Child - Survivor' is a culturally and aesthetically significant classic that influenced contemporary culture that one cannot not own this piece and having read all commentaries and still call oneself 'musically developed'.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

Um. I legitimately say I listen to quite a bit of music in the spectrum. I don't like overproduced / obviously pitch corrected stuff, and generally pop/rap/country has alot of that. I don't like Greenday. Or Sublime. I'm really starting to get into melodic death metal and black metal, listening to alot of Carcass, Death, Kalmah, and In Mourning. I have broad tastes, and as long as the artists *actually* have talent, or it's a very catchy tune, I will generally listen to it.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

What I would never listen to:
- Metal. That includes thrash metal, black metal, death metal, any sort of metal. Ew.
- Country.
- R&B (the kind they play on the radio these days, not the old "rhythm and blues").
- Whatever people think is appropriate to classify as "emo" or "goth" or whatever is hip.

Things I get tired of really fast:
- Funk and soul.
- Punk.
- Most forms of rock like AC/DC, Thin Lizzy or Guns n' Roses.
- Blues.
- Rockabilly and bluegrass.
- House and trance and what have you.

Things I don't really listen to for no particular reason:
- Reggae.
- Hip hop.

So that leaves pretty much the rest. I probably forgot a lot of music in those lists though.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

You know, I really didn't make this thread as a "I'm more eclectic than you" type of epeen stroke thing. As I understand it musical tastes are basically defined by audio patterns that one's brain learns to recognize and enjoy. So a thread like that would basically be "hey! who got the most music thrown at them before the age of 18!", pretty pointless.

I did want to see where most people were though. Usually when I ask people, "everything but rap and country" is exactly what they say.... I usually think "even polka?"

Anyways, I had more in mind but I can't think any more and I have to go. Laters.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Everything except rap and country

/kidding.

I mostly listen to metal, with an emphasis on symphonic, power, folk, and neo-classical genres, usually with smooth vocals. However, I dabble in a lot of genres, from classical and baroque music to some alt-rock. Plus The Beatles are pretty enjoyable on certain days.

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Hey, could suggest anything good with string instruments?

Odd request but you seem like you might be knowledgeable on this kind of thing, and I really do enjoy violin type music. Eh, all I really have to go off of is Keeping the blade, from an album my friend gave me. It occurred to me that I do not have nearly enough of this kind of music, and I really do enjoy it.

I'll have another type of music to add to my list :D The reason I made this thread, now that I have time and am able to think, is to expand the types of music I listen to. Its not that I want some sort of eclectic epeen stroking cred, I really just want more music to listen to. The way I see it is that the more types of music I have, the more types of music I have to enjoy. That way I get bored of one type less often and don't end up over-doing it with one type of music.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Rap and country mostly, but really any thing except pop and some indie rock.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:25 am UTC

GoodRudeFun wrote:Hey, could suggest anything good with string instruments?
Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain by Mono & World's End Girlfriend. Pretty good post-rock in the vein of Godspeed You! Black Emperor that, for the first few tracks, consists of nothing but (or almost nothing but) violin and cello. They stay dominant throughout the album.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:35 am UTC

GoodRudeFun wrote:Hey, could suggest anything good with string instruments?

Check out Cloud Cult.
Song!
Song with even more strings!

faye159

Postby faye159 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

i don't know how to categorize the music i listen to, with all the genres and subgenres.
here are some of the artists i really like:
nirvana, 3dg, mcr, simple plan, jason mraz, lily allen, natasha bedingfield, the fray, eminem, pink, avril, corinne bailey rae, rosi golan, linkin park, nightwish, seether, kamelot, enya, santogold, disturbed, nickelback, christina aguilera, the pussycat dolls, kelly clarkson....

so, by guessing, i listen to some rock, some metal, some grunge, some pop, some rap...

and yes, i also listen to country (my dad has a lot of cassettes) and classical, and folk (streets of london, vincent)

and what genre is air supply? rod stewart? john denver? 'cause i like them too...

anyway, i don't like the techno stuff......
Last edited by faye159 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

I listen to a mix of...
punk (à la hot water music, kid dynamite, jawbreaker, dillinger four)
ska (a lot of the first wave, a dab of 2nd wave, and a lot of ska-punk)
emo (this kinda goes under punk: sunny day real estate, embrace, samiam, fugazi, get up kids)
metal (mostly melodic death and prog: at the gates, darkest hour, between the buried and me)
jazz (coltrane, miles davis, lee morgan, louis armstrong, warren battiste)
folk/folk-punk (the mountain goats, fleet foxes, andrew jackson jihad)
post-rock (EITS, GY!BE, Russian Circles)
alt-country (wilco, chuck ragan, drag the river)

Examples are necessary because just naming genres is kind of dumb.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

I listen to...
Noise! Lots and lots of Noise! Drone because I am boring :\. Dark/Ritual Ambient because I am creepy creepo creeper. Whatever the hell Current 93 is (Early and late phases).

Aaaaand

Goth and Death Rock!

I am very picky.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:I listen to...
Noise! Lots and lots of Noise! Drone because I am boring :\. Dark/Ritual Ambient because I am creepy creepo creeper. Whatever the hell Current 93 is (Early and late phases).

Aaaaand

Goth and Death Rock!

I am very picky.

Sounds about like me.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

What's with all those losers listening to dark ambient. Surely real men only listen to country and rap?

No seriously, it's rare that a music thread features dark ambient, let alone about half of the people.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

I hate talking about genres and styles of music I listen to, because it sounds like I'm talking about groceries instead. I find that most kinds of labels are either so wide that they barely mean anything, or are so restrictive that they basically represent a couple of bands who did something original and a load of hacks who tried to copy the style. And let's not talk about the stupid genre labels ("Intelligent Dance Music"? Seriously? Since when "intelligence" is something objective and exact that you can label and categorise?) and the sub-sub-sub-subgenres of progressive trance avantgarde folk doom brutalcore punk reggae rap salsa nu-metal.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

IDM is not intelligent, and no one dances to it either.

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:IDM is not intelligent, and no one dances to it either.

And some would say it's barely music either. So it's pretty much a complete failure on all three counts.

I never quite understood calling things "progressive". Like progressive rock, progressive house... what makes it progressive? Whoever came up with that nonsense has a lot to answer for.

Postby 6453893 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

Phill wrote:

And some would say it's barely music either. So it's pretty much a complete failure on all three counts.

I never quite understood calling things "progressive". Like progressive rock, progressive house... what makes it progressive? Whoever came up with that nonsense has a lot to answer for.

Well progressive rock used to refer to rock albums that had 'progressed' beyond collections of twelve simply structured, three minute songs. Bands like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and all of the bands also packaged as 'Krautrock'.

'Progressive House' was coined by Genesis P-Orridge, I believe. No idea what he meant by it though.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:
Phill wrote:

Well progressive rock used to refer to rock albums that had 'progressed' beyond collections of twelve simply structured, three minute songs. Bands like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and all of the bands also packaged as 'Krautrock'.

'Progressive House' was coined by Genesis P-Orridge, I believe. No idea what he meant by it though.
Progressive rock and metal meaning is quite correct, doesn't mean that it 'progresses' though, it's about having more elaborate structures than verse-chorus-verse.

Progressive house and trance is another story, the idea is that in both, the bass lines changes in a certain way, giving the tracks a feeling of continual 'progression', ironic as a lot of progressive house and trance tracks are noted infamously for their monotony. Essentially both names are unrelated, by most if not all views of 'purists' of the 1993-era, all modern trance and most house is 'progressive'.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

I dunno, any kind of rock/not-too-screamy metal is awesome for me. I also like...well...I like a lot of things, which I can't really list. The only things I can't stand are badly written/performed country/rap.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

Oh SHI—.

Edit: this new last.fm option is funny:

"I'm into black metal, dark ambient, ambient, trance and electronic, including:
Nest, Abyssmal Sorrow, Reflexions in Time, Lacus Somniorum, Trancelike Void, æon nought, Amesoeurs, Herbst9, Sinke Dûs, Slowdive, Darkspace, Kammarheit, Austere, Alcest, Lajlia, Kwoon, Svartsinn, Trist, Nordvargr / Drakh, t.A.T.u., Vestigial, Sect, The Birthday Massacre, Lunar Aurora, Zuriaake, Delerium, emotion.i:void, In Gowan Ring, Raate, Nordvargr, Vinterriket, Toroidh, Raison D'Être, Karjalan Sissit, Gustaf Hildebrand, Vali, Öde, Trist(1), Perasma, Mortuus Infradaemoni, Negură Bunget, Arkha Sva, Every Little Thing, Thy Light, Nortt, Kitamura Eri, Micky Erbe & Maribeth Solomon, Front Line Assembly, Nyktalgia, Merda Mundi.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/Lajni"

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 am UTC

I tend to think of music I listen to in eras--the primary ones I listen to are:

20s-40s Ragtime, Swing, Jazz -- mostly for dancing , though I love the stuff in general.

50s-60s Rock n Roll--including the british invasion, girl groups.

Motown

80s Synth pop/rock

90s Alt Rock

I also like some punk and lots of bits and bobs from the 70s. I will put all of this into one playlist and hit shuffle, that's how I roll. I don't like metal--the Beatles are awesome. :D
Rice Puddin.

Homo Electromagneticus

Postby Homo Electromagneticus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:08 am UTC

This one time I listened to Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor.

I'm pretty sure I was crushed to death and have been dead for a while now.
Just as the sword can not cut itself,
nor the finger touch its own tip;
mind can not see itself.

Return to “Music”