How many different types of music do you listen to?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aaron

Re: How many different types of music do you listen to?

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:58 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Oh SHI—.

Edit: this new last.fm option is funny:

"I'm into black metal, dark ambient, ambient, trance and electronic, including:
Nest, Abyssmal Sorrow, Reflexions in Time, Lacus Somniorum, Trancelike Void, æon nought, Amesoeurs, Herbst9, Sinke Dûs, Slowdive, Darkspace, Kammarheit, Austere, Alcest, Lajlia, Kwoon, Svartsinn, Trist, Nordvargr / Drakh, t.A.T.u., Vestigial, Sect, The Birthday Massacre, Lunar Aurora, Zuriaake, Delerium, emotion.i:void, In Gowan Ring, Raate, Nordvargr, Vinterriket, Toroidh, Raison D'Être, Karjalan Sissit, Gustaf Hildebrand, Vali, Öde, Trist(1), Perasma, Mortuus Infradaemoni, Negură Bunget, Arkha Sva, Every Little Thing, Thy Light, Nortt, Kitamura Eri, Micky Erbe & Maribeth Solomon, Front Line Assembly, Nyktalgia, Merda Mundi.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/Lajni"

how'd you do that? i found out how once, but i completely forgot

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

aaron wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:Oh SHI—.

Edit: this new last.fm option is funny:

"I'm into black metal, dark ambient, ambient, trance and electronic, including:
Nest, Abyssmal Sorrow, Reflexions in Time, Lacus Somniorum, Trancelike Void, æon nought, Amesoeurs, Herbst9, Sinke Dûs, Slowdive, Darkspace, Kammarheit, Austere, Alcest, Lajlia, Kwoon, Svartsinn, Trist, Nordvargr / Drakh, t.A.T.u., Vestigial, Sect, The Birthday Massacre, Lunar Aurora, Zuriaake, Delerium, emotion.i:void, In Gowan Ring, Raate, Nordvargr, Vinterriket, Toroidh, Raison D'Être, Karjalan Sissit, Gustaf Hildebrand, Vali, Öde, Trist(1), Perasma, Mortuus Infradaemoni, Negură Bunget, Arkha Sva, Every Little Thing, Thy Light, Nortt, Kitamura Eri, Micky Erbe & Maribeth Solomon, Front Line Assembly, Nyktalgia, Merda Mundi.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/Lajni"

how'd you do that? i found out how once, but i completely forgot
Search the paste for 'paste your taste' keyword, it should be half way.
^ :/

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

Is Motion City Soundtrack considered to be a guilty pleasure worthy band now?

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

When people ask me, "What kind of music do you listen to?", I normally just smile. There is very little music I actually DISlike, but that doesn't mean I actively seek out and listen to all kinds of music - that would be quite difficult. I do my best however - I actively listen to most things from ska to grindcore to jazz to noise rock to classical.

But, that doesn't really get us anywhere. So instead I'll say this - Lately, I've been going through a huge math rock phase. Ska, classical, and jazz are omnipresently with me in some way, shape, or form. "Indie Rock" has become almost as useless a label as just "rock", but I enjoy the majority of indie rock I listen to. I also devour post-rock, and some things that fly the post-hardcore banner also make me happy. There is a minority of rap and country music that I like, but that which I do like I enjoy thoroughly. I generally dislike electronic music and most things on the radio.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

I'm into indie, rock, alternative, experimental and singer-songwriter, including:
Protest the Hero, The Gaslight Anthem, Rilo Kiley, Manic Street Preachers, Butch Walker, Paramore, dredg, Muse, Jonathan Coulton, Radiohead, Circa Survive, Sufjan Stevens, Barenaked Ladies, Against Me!, Ben Folds, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, Elliott Smith, Sigur Rós, Feist, Ben Folds Five, The Flaming Lips, Cynic, The Beatles, Neutral Milk Hotel, Kings of Leon, Mitch Hedberg, Arcade Fire, Beck, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Wilco, Deerhunter, Between the Buried and Me, Explosions in the Sky, The Envy Corps, Justice, Sick Animation, The Fall of Troy, Ferry Corsten, Death From Above 1979, Sondre Lerche, Jeff Buckley, Girl Talk, Flight of the Conchords, Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, The Decemberists, Straylight Run, Animal Collective, Weezer, Regina Spektor.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/MisterBlueSky

i'm thinking this is because i don't play around with my tags a whole lot, haha

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Is Motion City Soundtrack considered to be a guilty pleasure worthy band now?

I think not. Their first two albums kicked ass, and I haven't listened to the latest one, but it can't be too bad.

I'm into indie, punk, rock, emo and hardcore, including:
Catch 22, Haste the Day, Operation Ivy, Thrice, Led Zeppelin, The Human Abstract, Motion City Soundtrack, Streetlight Manifesto, Thursday, Nirvana, Van Halen, Rise Against, Iced Earth, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Aquabats, Chiodos, Bomb the Music Industry!, Brand New, Circa Survive, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Bad Religion, The Gaslight Anthem, The Guess Who, Tool, Reel Big Fish, Iron Maiden, Monsterworks, The Temptations, The Beatles, AC/DC, Metallica, Audioslave, The Weakerthans, Common Rider, Radiohead, Jawbreaker, Bob Marley & The Wailers, U2, Black Sabbath, Three Dog Night, Shook Ones, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, The Allman Brothers Band, Defiance, Ohio, 3 Inches of Blood, Ramones, High School Football Heroes, Pearl Jam, Against Me!.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

...and that's pretty badly out of date. I haven't listened to Chiodos, 3 Inches of Blood, Pearl Jam, or Scary Kids Scaring Kids in about a year.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:13 am UTC

I'm into rock, indie, experimental, electronic and psychedelic, including:
Sonic Youth, Portishead, ADULT., Black Moth Super Rainbow, Suicide, Pixies, Deerhunter, Massive Attack, Add N to (X), Neutral Milk Hotel, This Heat, Deerhoof, Nurse With Wound, The Beatles, Les Georges Leningrad, Boredoms, Liars, Kap Bambino, Melt-Banana, My Bloody Valentine, Erase Errata, Masonna, Joy Division, Philip Glass, Animal Collective, Ryoji Ikeda, The Velvet Underground, The Knife, Björk, Tickley Feather, Radiohead, Black Dice, Silver Apples, Afrirampo, J Dilla, HEALTH, Aphex Twin, Le Tigre, The Residents, Boards of Canada, Flying Lotus, Faust, Pictureplane.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/Tropolist

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:12 am UTC

You stole my trick, I demand royalties.
^ :/

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

It seems that even though I listen to many different types of music there is a continuum between any two types. For example, I can go from jazz to baroque or noise to folk in a few songs without problem.

How is it for you ? Are there impermeable clusters ?

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

it always weirds me out that people have to put themselves in a "mood" via other songs if they want to listen to an album

why don't you just put the album on if you want to listen to it? i don't understand

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

GoodRudeFun wrote:Hey, could suggest anything good with string instruments?

Early Apocalyptica was entirely instrumental cello music, with the first two albums being mostly Metallica covers before they started doing original stuff, eventually moving to doing it with a guest drummer and vocalist on several songs per album.

So, yeah, lots of cello.

faye159 wrote:i don't know how to categorize the music i listen to, with all the genres and subgenres.
here are some of the artists i really like:
nirvana, 3dg, mcr, simple plan, jason mraz, lily allen, natasha bedingfield, the fray, eminem, pink, avril, corinne bailey rae, rosi golan, linkin park, nightwish, seether, kamelot, enya, santogold, disturbed, nickelback, christina aguilera, the pussycat dolls, kelly clarkson....

so, by guessing, i listen to some rock, some metal, some grunge, some pop, some rap...

and yes, i also listen to country (my dad has a lot of cassettes) and classical, and folk (streets of london, vincent)

and what genre is air supply? rod stewart? john denver? 'cause i like them too...

anyway, i don't like the techno stuff......

You sound like you need to turn off your radio and search for more music. A few of those groups I like, a few are bad, but there's no logical reason to listen to The Pussycat Dolls.

Homo Electromagneticus wrote:This one time I listened to Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor.

I'm pretty sure I was crushed to death and have been dead for a while now.

If this means what I think it means, I love you.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:there's no logical reason to listen to The Pussycat Dolls
I really don't see how hearing and enjoying music involves logic.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
Brother Maynard wrote:there's no logical reason to listen to The Pussycat Dolls
I really don't see how hearing and enjoying music involves logic.

No, you see, if you listen to The Pussycat Dolls you won't get laid. And since most people want to get laid, it's probably rational to not listen to them.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Well according to Media Player I have 14 "genres" on my laptop. Although that's probably the worst measure ever concieved as some very similar songs in the same album actually get put in different genres along with stuff that is nothing at all like them.
I'm not sure if it's a genre but I quite like music with, how to describe it, melodic male vocals? Basically things with male voices actually "singing". That's the wrong way to put it but ah well. Apocalyptica style music mentioned previosuly is also pretty good. I also like music which can create or change emotions (not a specific emotion, most really) as opposed to the majority of mass produced music.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

null1024

Postby null1024 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

I'm into a lot of things, namely hard rock, metal [well, Metallica at least], trance [if it doesn't have cheesy vocals], some techno, breakcore [or what ever you call it], noise [read: Merzbow, and this one guy who makes music under the title A Suffusion of Yellow, he mentioned Merzbow, and from there I listened to nothing but that for a week], jazz, etc [man, I feel like I'm just dropping words...].

The only things I truly hate really to listen to are country and rap.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 am UTC

According to my iTouch, I listen to Alternative, Punk, Rock, Brit Pop, Electronica, Euro-Pop, Grunge, Hard Rock, Industrial, J-Pop, Metal, Noise Rock, Pop, Pop Rock, Pop Punk, Post Punk, Power Pop, Soundtracks, Symphonic Rock, and www.hedlund-daily.com. How the hell is THAT a genre???

Homo Electromagneticus

Postby Homo Electromagneticus » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:
Homo Electromagneticus wrote:This one time I listened to Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor.

I'm pretty sure I was crushed to death and have been dead for a while now.

If this means what I think it means, I love you.

Let's run away together. I'm packing my ethereal bags now.
Just as the sword can not cut itself,
nor the finger touch its own tip;
mind can not see itself.

bbq

Postby bbq » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:31 am UTC

I Listen, or would listen, to most music, there is no genre that I really actively dislike. There's good stuff even in the worst ones.

But I tend to find myself listening to nice little songs with acoustic guitar and singing nowadays.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

faye159

Postby faye159 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:You sound like you need to turn off your radio and search for more music. A few of those groups I like, a few are bad, but there's no logical reason to listen to The Pussycat Dolls.

but i don't need any reason (logical or not) to listen to any kind of music. and i don't listen to the radio 'cause it's full of r&b stuff........

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Besides, it has to be noted that if people say they 'listen to any kind of music', it usually means they just know very little music. Usually if you pass them some Merzbow they freak.

Not exactly. If someone's asking in passing, I usually say something along those lines because, frankly, I can't be arsed to list all the genres I like. I prefer asking people what their top five artists are instead. That usually sparks some interesting conversation, if all parties involved are really into their music.

But the sake of answering the OP's original question, here's what last.fm says I like. I guess it's pretty damn accurate.

tin's Last.fm wrote:
I'm into indie, electronic, alternative, hip-hop and experimental, including:

of Montreal, Amon Tobin, Ratatat, Radiohead, Grizzly Bear, The Dears, TV on the Radio, Björk, The Fiery Furnaces, DJ Shadow, Eels, Modest Mouse, Modeselektor, Burial, Metric, RJD2, White Rabbits, Death From Above 1979, Animal Collective, Beck, Blackalicious, Nina Simone, Psapp, Caribou, Four Tet, Jon Brion, Justice, Battles, PJ Harvey, Erykah Badu, Beirut, Nightmares on Wax, Wolf Parade, Aesop Rock, Feist, Hot Hot Heat, Badly Drawn Boy, Nina Nastasia & Jim White, Ladytron, Deerhoof, Daft Punk, DJ Kentaro, Guillemots, Noisettes, Flying Lotus, Bon Iver, Ella Fitzgerald, Tunng, Venetian Snares, The Hold Steady.

i dare you to take me on...

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:39 am UTC

tin wrote:frankly, I can't be arsed to list all the genres I like.

I am sure thats most other people thoughts as well.

here is what last.fm has to say about me...

Last.fm wrote:I'm into indie, rock, emo, alternative and pop punk, including:
Brand New, Manchester Orchestra, Say Anything, Two Tongues, The Early November, Every Time I Die, Straylight Run, Kevin Devine, Ace Enders And A Million Different People, Dear and the Headlights, The Format, Copeland, blink-182, New Found Glory, Death Cab for Cutie, Motion City Soundtrack, Saves the Day, Alkaline Trio, Weatherbox, Brendan James, No Use for a Name, 36 Crazyfists, The Starting Line, I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business, Yellowcard, As Cities Burn, mewithoutYou, Lydia, Taking Back Sunday, A Static Lullaby, Blindside, Gatsby's American Dream, Underoath, Senses Fail, Hopesfall, Emery, Good Old War, You, Me, and Everyone We Know, Glassjaw, Colour Revolt, Lovedrug, Jimmy Eat World, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Funeral for a Friend, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, Lagwagon, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, MxPx, Mushroomhead.

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/CherryKiss19

i would have to chalk that up to spending the last month or so listening to nothing but Manchester Orchestra and Say Anything stations. I have a bigger "hardcore" taste than that blurbs lets you know. But, you can see it a bit with notations of Mushroomhead and such. I'd say that last.fm did a pretty good job.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 am UTC

I think this is a stupid question. I listen to 25,000 different types of music.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

bbq

Postby bbq » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:41 am UTC

It's like saying, how many different types of food do you like eating.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:35 am UTC

Hey, could suggest anything good with string instruments?
\
Joe Venuti
Jazz Violin. Yes.

Back on topic: I like jazz...not so much new jazz or smooth jazz, a lot of the classic standards and stuff...and then bebop...and 3rd wave ska...and then what ever else happens to pop up. (recently a lot of eminem :oops:)

it IS fun to play along with recordings though...so i guess anything with a cool horn part i'll give a good listen too...

I get a lot of my music from friends so i end up with some weird stuff on my playlists (Hanna Montana + Charlie Parker + Mustard Plug???)
Spoiler:

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

For live performances, I like things like Melt-Banana, Lightning Bolt, The Locust, etc. But at home I'm more likely to be listening to Ray Charles, Elton John, Johnny Cash, or goofy asian pop like Mini-Moni or S.H.E.

I have zero tolerance for reggae or "techno" (in the very loose sense used by non-techno fans).

I like my jazz to be aggressive, but not total chaos - Ornette Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz to Come" is perfect.

MildCore

Postby MildCore » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

If I had to completely abandon all of my past rationalization and generalize like a mother', I'd say I listen to just about everything but (Pop) Emo and (Pop) Country. There are a few underground/older gems, but as a whole these two genres don't do it for me. I listen to a lot of Metal (sub-genres too), seeing as how I was raised on it. A couple of years ago, I started to get into quite a bit of Rap/Hip-Hop, and more recently, I'm listening to a lot of Punk. I'm into Ska and Jazz and Big Band stuff, being a trumpet player myself. Throw some Blues in there too. I like a lot of Indie, and some Poppy stuff like Ben Folds and Sara Bareilles. I've got a list of (pretty much) all of the bands and artists I listen to, around somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it. In fact, I'll look for it before I post this, in order to minimize double-posting.

Aha! Here we are:

In Flames, Opeth, Anata, Nirvana, Passenger, Shadows Fall, Dead Prez, Probot, Subway to Sally, Mastodon, Therion, Ulver, Bobaflex, The Real McKenzies, Aceyalone, Soil, Corrosion of Conformity, Dream Theater, War, The Doors, Brujeria, Jillmax, Sonic Boom Six, Scar Symmetry, Bloodbath, Hatebreed, Witchery, The Butterfly Effect, OAR, Soul Embraced, Becoming the Archetype, Nickel Creek, Death Cab for Cutie, Samael, Dark Tranquility, Gwar, White Stripes, Motorhead, Mountain Goats, WolfMother, Jimi Hendrix, The Abyss, Unearth, Amon Amarth, Diecast, Audioslave, The Killers, Gojira, Tankard, White Zombie, Echopriest, Fluke, Sevendust, System of a Down, The Tossers, UVERworld, Smashing Pumpkins, DevilDriver, Darkest Hour, The Agony Scene, Danzig, Pitbull, Freezepop, Atheist, Tenacious D, Crossbreed, Dantallion, Symphony X, Ben Folds Five, Spineshank, Chris Thile, Count Zero, KoRn, Aerosmith, These New Puritans, Pain, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Nena, Children of Bodom, Project Sideways, Fallen Fate, Digable Planets, Raised Fist, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Pantera, StoneSour, Megadeth, Within Y, Drowning Pool, Rage Against the Machine, Killswitch Engage, Cumshots, The Who, REM, Gorillaz, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Fishbone, Ben Kweller, David Byrne, Gackt, Zager & Evans, Suburban Legends, Immortal Technique, Dirtbag, The Distillers, Swallow the Sun, Turbonegro, Beastie Boys, Drist, Abstract Rude, Graveworm, AWOL One, Aesop Rock, Embers Arise, Chimaira, Origa, Kittie, Dimmu Borgir, Styx, Demon Hunter, Anti-Flag, Draconian, The Ziggens, The Drugstore Cowboys, Motograter, Black Sabbath, Universum, Dimension Zero, Chris Botti, Callenish Circle, Charon, Toadies, Mad Ball, Damian Marley, Living Sacrifice, Camper Van Beethoven, Yoko Kanno, 311, Almost is Nothing, Samadhi, Sondre Lerche, Metallica, Public Enemy, Guttermouth, Iron Maiden, Flyleaf, Chimaira, Alabama Thunderpussy, Colbie Caillat, Living Colour, Dethklok, The Human Abstract, India Arie, Periphery, Deep Purple, Electric Six, 40 Below Summer, Cinders Fall, Oomph!, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society, Dissection, Colin Hay, Blinded Colony, Paul Pena, Filibuster, Iron & Wine, Bargain Music, Dry Kill Logic, Suicidal Tendencies, Filter, Disturbed, A Perfect Circle, Ilaria Graziano, Queens of the Stone Age, Gnarls Barkley, Bob Marley, Fiction Plane, Apocalyptica, Diablo, Sufjan Stevens, Up Syndrome, Soilwork, Sikth, Anthrax, Hot Action Cop, Ludacris, Five-Finger Death Punch, Clutch, Gogol Bordello, Spider Bait, Centuries Cry, Hurt, Skindred, The Eagles, Half Pint, Los Lobos, Nightwish, Karnivool, Scott Matthew, Velvet Revolver, Hide, Rob Zombie, An Endless Sporadic, Black Star, Nightrage, Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, Mudvayne, Deicide, J-Live, Ingrid Michaelson, Lamb of God, Rancid, Judas Priest, Senses Fail, Limp Bizkit, Skinlab, Fair to Midland, Matisyahu, Avail, Fountains of Wayne, Gift of Gab, Profugus Mortis, Death, Flaw, The Offspring, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Damageplan, The Ziggens, Matchbox Twenty, Misery Index, Tech N9NE, Hatebreed, Jillmax, Transducer, Filter, No Doubt, Sara Bareilles, Animetal, Catamenia, Silent Civilian, Elliot Smith, Fear Factory, Cult of Luna, Mozaiq, Yakuza, Dark Suns, Spearhead, Geto Boys, Crossfade, The Suicide Machines, Sacrilege, Hanzel und Gretyl, Cronos, G Love, Oasis, Construcdead, Bowling for Soup, Combichrist, Eluveitie, Wednesday 13, The Section Quartet, Joe Satriani, Wu-Tang Clan (And Individual MC's), Virgin Black, Deadstar Assembly, Powerman 5000, Celtic Frost, Sonic Syndicate, OPM, 8 Ball, The Blanks, Backyard Babies, Grailknights, Swallow the Sun, Stone Temple Pilots, Life of Agony, The Strokes, The Seatbelts, Soulfly, Coal Chamber, As I Lay Dying, Eve 6, Atmosphere, Ozomatli, Oreskaband, Matchbook Romance, Ephel Death, If Hope Dies, Nocturnal Rites, Hypocrisy, Bolt Thrower, NOFX, Fuel, Eric Hutchinson, Unleashed, Greyboy Allstars, Purified in Blood, Five.Bolt.Main, Cake, Collective Soul, The Raconteurs, Morbid Angel, Be'lakor, Joe Budden, Swift, God Forbid, Darkseed, Carcass, Vader, Streetlight Manifesto, Eucharist, Trust Company, Darkane, The Fall of Troy, Rooney, Celldweller, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Ayreon, Into Eternity, Evergrey, Norther, Nevermore, Static-X, Susperia, Revolverheld, Agalloch, Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Vikingmat, Pennywise, Finntroll, Meadows End, Prototype, Rolling Stones, Eric Johnson, Nas, Muse, The Living End, Kryterium, Arsis, Sepultura.

Feel free to go to town with the YouTube'ing. :wink:

Note to Mods: If my post is too long, which I don't expect it to be, edit away. Not intentionally trying to clutter this thing.
"Yeah, I've got a Gateway."
"From what, the 1800's? Do they even make those anymore?"
"Sigh..."

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

Whoa. Epic taste in music.

After counting, and by counting I mean letting iTunes count for me, I listen to 67 different genres of music.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:29 am UTC

MildCore wrote:I'd say I listen to just about everything but (Pop) Emo and (Pop) Country

You listen to almost nothing. That is perhaps the most homogeneous list in this thread so far.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:11 am UTC

I listen to classical, and Japanese pop/rock. Now, how many types do one count classical as?

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:07 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:I listen to classical, and Japanese pop/rock. Now, how many types do one count classical as?

Depends how you slice it. There are obviously the big four premodern movements and their offshoot genres, then atonal, serial and twelve, minimal and postminimal and their many, many subgenres in the modern pantheon. Tell us what composers you like.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:
MildCore wrote:I'd say I listen to just about everything but (Pop) Emo and (Pop) Country

You listen to almost nothing. That is perhaps the most homogeneous list in this thread so far.

Or Maybe they listen to many things. Hence the words "just about everything." And maybe they can't be arsed to list every single genre and subgenre.

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

horisustar wrote:
6453893 wrote:

Or Maybe they listen to many things. Hence the words "just about everything." And maybe they can't be arsed to list every single genre and subgenre.

That would be valid, except for that they also provided a long list of "(pretty much) all of the bands and artists I listen to". Among this list, maybe three distinct genres are represented, with a few stickouts from other genres that I am guessing he listens to because of their soundtrack work.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

I also read through that list, listen to many of the bands they listed, and believe many of them are in completely separate categories/ genres / subgenres.

EDIT: To say only three distinct genres is a massive generalization. I concede I have no clue what your ideas are as far as what belongs in a certain "genre," but... still. 3 is a very tiny number for over 50 artists mentioned.

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Well, three was just hyperbolic. That list may represent ten or fifty or a hundred genres. However, it contains no jazz, classical, no wave, noise, big band, or a myriad of other major veins of music. Simply having no jazz or classical basically limits this person's experience to music made in the past seventy-five years, which gives them no claim to "listen[ing] to just about everything".

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

Fair.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:
achan1058 wrote:I listen to classical, and Japanese pop/rock. Now, how many types do one count classical as?

Depends how you slice it. There are obviously the big four premodern movements and their offshoot genres, then atonal, serial and twelve, minimal and postminimal and their many, many subgenres in the modern pantheon. Tell us what composers you like.
Bach, Beethoven, Mahler, Shostakovich, Handel, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Saint-Seans, Tchaikovsky, and a bunch of separate work from other composers, including The Rite of Spring. Have not managed to understand Bruckner yet, and most of what Mozart and Brahms wrote bore me. I should get some stuff from Wagner, Liszt, and Mendelssohn, though. Basically, it's all across the eras, seeing how I pick composers instead of periods.

MildCore

Postby MildCore » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:Well, three was just hyperbolic. That list may represent ten or fifty or a hundred genres. However, it contains no jazz, classical, no wave, noise, big band, or a myriad of other major veins of music. Simply having no jazz or classical basically limits this person's experience to music made in the past seventy-five years, which gives them no claim to "listen[ing] to just about everything".

Fair enough. The list is nowhere near naming everything I've ever heard and/or liked. It was really more a list of everything I had at hand at the time. I don't constantly update it, which limits it, seeing as how I'm constantly discovering new music and new artists. As for there being no jazz, classical, or big band in that list, that doesn't mean I don't listen. I can't be asked to list every composer or piece I've listened to or played. Part of this is for the sole reason that I simply can't remember names very well. I often have a tough time naming songs by my favorite bands, even when I know the phrases and lyrics quite well.

I never said how much I like different genres, or how many artists from any certain genre I listen to, just that I listen to them. If I can name more than a couple of artists that I like from a given category, then I can (at least in my mind) safely say that I like that style of music.

So, I apologize for apparently massively overstating my taste in music. I'm sorry I don't know quite as much as you do about what I like. But, even though I listen to "almost nothing", I can truthfully say I have a more diverse taste than most people, or at least most people I know.
"Yeah, I've got a Gateway."
"From what, the 1800's? Do they even make those anymore?"
"Sigh..."

goingnorthwest

Postby goingnorthwest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:02 am UTC

GoodRudeFun wrote:Hey, could suggest anything good with string instruments?

One of my more recent favorite albums is the Waking Life soundtrack by Tosca Tango Orchestra. With the piano it has some really interesting atmosphere to it.

Name drops of my own since "a lot" wouldn't be a suitable answer for the forum topic...

Rock/Indie: Animal Collective, Modest Mouse, Camera Obscura, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Vampire Weekend, Yeasayer, Yo La Tango, Broken Social Scene, The Decemberists, Deerhoof, Devotchka, Man Man
Classic pop/rock: Brian Wilson, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Bob Dylan
Classic Jazz/Blues/Country: Billie Holiday, Johnny Cash, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson
Progressive/Metal/Modern Rock: In Flames, Norma Jean, Lamb of God, Tool, Coheed, Opeth, Five Finger Death Punch, Deftones, The Mars Volta
Rap/Hip-Hop: Wale, Del(tron), Eminem, Dizzee Rascal
Electronic/Dance/Trip-hop: Any good jungle/drum and bass, Add N to (x), Crystal Castles, The Field, !!!, Cut Copy, Portishead, Massive Attack, Ladytron
Female Singer/Songwriters: Fiona Apple, Norah Jones, Dido
and a slew of other genres: two-tone ska, classical music, reggae, world music, couple of jam bands, banjo music, basically anything if it is good.

I just realized I could probably keep going for a while longer, so I'll digress...

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

John Butler Trio utilize violin and cello. You might be interested in listening especially to their song "What You Want."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijERWZHvsxI

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Classical music has plenty of string instruments. However, before going into any further, how do you like your strings? A lush, warm sound (like a whole string section), or a cleaner sound (like a single violin)? Do you like it to be clean like that Classical Period, smooth like the Romantic Period, or harsh like the 20th Century? Or do you simply want modern pop music with strings. (which most likely they won't care about the harsh/smooth)

Return to “Music”