Anime OP/ED music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

spupy

Anime OP/ED music

Postby spupy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

What are your favorite songs/music from anime? From current and past seasons. I'm talking mainly about the opening and ending theme pieces, since they are the more memorable in most cases.
(Please provide links. And keep AMV out unless they are really really good.)
"Cruel Angel's Thesis" from Evangelion
"Lilium" from Elfen Lied (a favorite song even outside my anime music collection)
Two others I would like to mention are (the so called) "Bure Bure" and "Rumba Rumba" OPs of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (sorry, couldn't find good quality videos.)
Forgive me for my limited choices, I haven't seen that much series. There a lot of other songs I liked, but they don't come near favorite.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

charliepanayi

Re: Anime OP/ED music

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

The obvious answer:

Tank! - Cowboy Bebop OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zDfxZ4NcE
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

I really like the first ending theme by Rie fu for Darker than Black. I can't remember the name of the song though. The other guitarist in my band and I play God Knows... from Suzumiya Haruhi a lot when we're bored. It's actually pretty simple when you have distortion on (you can hide your mistakes if you can't play fast enough). I don't like Rumba Rumba Rumba but the other Zetsubou-sensei openings are good. The opening and ending themes for Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 are pretty good, and I remember when my group of anime friends were addicted to the first Toradora! OP/ED songs. For the most part they're pretty generic though, especially ending songs...
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Nande_Ebisu?

Postby Nande_Ebisu? » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

spupy wrote:Two others I would like to mention are (the so called) "Bure Bure" and "Rumba Rumba" OPs of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (sorry, couldn't find good quality videos.)

you are my new favorite person ev4r. Those endings get successively better each season, Ringo Mojire Beam is awesome!

But yeah, lilium and Tank! are like the classic amazing anime openings. Modern Strange Cowboy (Needless) is pretty good, and the first One PIece and the remake of that song are really good. Additionally first Toradora opening (Pre-Parade)
Last edited by Nande_Ebisu? on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
When there's trouble you call D-W

Mega D

Postby Mega D » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

The soundtrack from the original Bubblegum Crisis is still among my favorite music, anime or otherwise. Long ago I paid $80 to get my hands on the complete vocal collection and have never regretted it.

Megumi Hyashibara's songs from the Slayers openings and credits are pretty fun. I do particularly like it when the actors from the shows sing.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:The obvious answer:

Tank! - Cowboy Bebop OP

You really should have just said the entire collection of soundtracks from that show. So much good music.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:

Tank! - Cowboy Bebop OP

You really should have just said the entire collection of soundtracks from that show. So much good music.

I know but they asked for OP/ED and so I went for the obvious. Blue of course is magnificent as well.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:41 am UTC

Only OP/ED? So limited...but since someone already said Tank! I'm going to have to go with Ride On Shooting Star, the ending theme for FLCL. FLCL has one of my favorite soundtracks, probably ranking just behind the Bebop soundtrack in greatness.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 am UTC

>_>

Right now about the only OP/ED themes I've like were the two from the second half of Death Note. Thanks to that, Maimum the Hormone's Buiiki Kaesu become one of my favorite albums.

Though I am getting a taste for the first ending theme from Fullmetal Alchemist (the original, not Brotherhood).

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:08 am UTC

Last Exile: Cloud Age Symphony/Over The Sky
------------------------------------------------------

Nana: (some videos contain spoilers)
Openings:Rose (#1/BLAST - Anna Tsuchiya),
Wish (#2/TRAPNEST - Olivia Lufkin),
Lucy (#3/Anna Tsuchiya)

Endings: A Little Pain (#1/TRAPNEST - Olivia Lufkin) (video is the actual video for the song)
Starless Night (#2/Olivia Lufkin)
Kuroi Namida (#3/Anna Tsuchiya)
Winter Sleep (#4/Olivia Lufkin)
the last song is Stand by Me by Anna Tsuchiya and I'm not such a fan of it but I felt I should mention it anyway. My favorite of all of these is probably A Little Pain.
-------------------------------------------------------

I will sit through the opening of Beck for every single episode because of the opening theme Hit in the USA by Beat Crusade *sings and ROCKS OUT* You are the suuun You are the staaaars to me foreveeeeer!!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

mystic_aura

Postby mystic_aura » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

I like Closer - Inoue Joe [Naruto Shippudden]
Kimi Monogatari is a really adorable song!

There's also Velonica [Bleach] that's somewhat cool - once you get past the rap :S
'I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space.' - Hamlet

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:54 am UTC

spupy wrote:Two others I would like to mention are (the so called) "Bure Bure" and "Rumba Rumba" OPs of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (sorry, couldn't find good quality videos.)
Forgive me for my limited choices, I haven't seen that much series. There a lot of other songs I liked, but they don't come near favorite.

"Ringo Mogire Beam" from the third season is good too.

I'm also a fan of the OP and ED for Umineko No Naku Koro Ni. Also, if not for the song itself, I liked "Fly Me to the Moon" as the ED for Evangelion for the stark contrast to the rest of the show.

EDIT:
une see wrote:Only OP/ED? So limited...but since someone already said Tank! I'm going to have to go with Ride On Shooting Star, the ending theme for FLCL. FLCL has one of my favorite soundtracks, probably ranking just behind the Bebop soundtrack in greatness.

Also this. The entire FLCL OST is fantastic. I currently have the main riff from "Stalker" as my ringtone, and I really like "Ride on Shooting Star" (the ED), "Little Busters" (the battle music), "Hybrid Rainbow" (BGM at one point), and "Beautiful Morning With You" (also BGM). So pretty much the whole OST. Which is pretty much all The Pillows. Long story short, I less-than-three The Pillows thanks to FLCL.
This space intentionally left blank.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:34 am UTC

A couple OP/ED songs that haven't been mentioned yet, in alphabetical order by anime title:

Bakusou Kyoudai Rettsu & Go!!: Get the World - Hironobu Kageyama (Couldn't find the original anime video on YouTube; this is a live performance. I have an MP3 of the original, though, and it's an awesome song as well.)
Bakusou Kyoudai Rettsu & Go!!: Brave Heart - Koutetsu Kyoudai (Hironobu Kageyama & Masaaki Endoh) (See previous comment.)
D.N.Angel: Byakuya ~ True Light - Shunichi Miyamoto
Initial D: Gamble Rumble - m.o.v.e
Initial D: Blazin' Beat - m.o.v.e (Couldn't find the anime OP video again; another live performance.)
Rockman.EXE: Kaze wo Tsukinukete - Jin Hashimoto (full version here)
Rockman.EXE: begin the TRY - Shotaro Morikubo (full version here)
Sky Girls (OAV): Baby's Tears - Riyu Kosaka (and a live performance video)
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Just checked out the song and I like :-)

|Erasmus| wrote:

Tank! - Cowboy Bebop OP

YES.

My two-cents:
(1) Joe Hisaishi's entire portfolio rocks. His music really adds to all the anime films by Hayao Miyazaki.
(2) I like this one for easy-listening "Sayonara wa Ashita no Tame ni" by Tackey & Tsubasa

Nande_Ebisu?

Postby Nande_Ebisu? » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Honestly tho, I'm surprised that the opening to Trigun isn't as popular as the Tank!, I'd even venture to say that on some days I'd prefer it to Tank!

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Not sure if I'm alone in this one but I quite liked the Hellsing (the original, obv.) OP.

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 am UTC

For some odd reason I really like the Lucky Star opening theme (Mottoke Sera Fuku).

The ending of the first 12 (?) episodes is also worth checking out. It's the main characters doing karaoke versions of various (anime-) theme songs. ("Cha La Head Cha La" by Konata is one of the best :P )

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am UTC

"Falling Down" by Oasis, opening of Higashi no Eden (a.k.a. Eden of the East, which I freaking always confuse with Steinbeck's East of Eden...)

Another video link with more on-key singing, even though the visual has nothing to do with the anime :P

Nande_Ebisu?

Postby Nande_Ebisu? » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm UTC

modularblues wrote:"Falling Down" by Oasis, opening of Higashi no Eden (a.k.a. Eden of the East, which I freaking always confuse with Steinbeck's East of Eden...)

Another video link with more on-key singing, even though the visual has nothing to do with the anime :P

I was actually surprised by how well it mirrored anime OP's by convnetional bands, both in its general theme and style. I hope more well known american bands start doing anime OP's! (also, MOvie coming out soon :) )

spupy

Postby spupy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:
spupy wrote:I'm also a fan of the OP and ED for Umineko No Naku Koro Ni. Also, if not for the song itself, I liked "Fly Me to the Moon" as the ED for Evangelion for the stark contrast to the rest of the shows.

Umineko - find the OST from the visual novel. Some of it is used in the anime as well, and contains some nice techno (which works very good in the game).

Speaking about contrast in Evangelion, the song "Komm, süsser Tod" takes the prize. It is played in End of Evangelion while everyone if turning to tang. The melody is very happy while the lyrics are full of sadness. Yet I can't stop myself from singing along. :|
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:Also, if not for the song itself, I liked "Fly Me to the Moon" as the ED for Evangelion for the stark contrast to the rest of the show.

It seems that Megumi Hayashibara (the voice actress of Rei Ayanami) sang some of the versions of Fly Me To The Moon used in the ED.

And other useless karmawhoring trivia about the the ED of NGE on IMDB:
IMDB wrote:[...] Approximately 56 different versions of the song were produced for the show. Some of these contain vocals, are karaoke versions, or are instrumentals. Others are short-length mixes or "TV-size" versions of previous recordings that were designed to be played at the end of the show [...]

gamoneterik

Postby gamoneterik » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

I adore the second OP for Death Note, the metal one. It's by a band called "Maximum The Hormone". Such a Japanenglish name for a band, yet the song is very non-J-Metal. If anyone knows the song, try singing this to it: "Rub the fuzzy head of the kitty-cat": it fits!

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

The original OP to Speed Grapher. Because it's Duran freakin' Duran.

Also. "White Destiny" from Pretear, and the various OPs and EDs for Sketchbook: Full Colors.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

Samurai Champloo opening and ending, hands down. Even beats out Cowboy Bebop's Tank!, in my opinion.
OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuRajFzMYI
ED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhIiPySyRwg
Regarding the ED, I've heard a couple other songs by Minmi, including the other ones she did for Champloo, and Shiki No Uta is the only song I can really stand listening to from her, really. Because it's the least sugary J-poppy, I guess.

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu OP, for the liquid-smooth animation. And though the song is very much saccharine J-pop, it's kind of catchy, or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmGqoT3izgk

Ah yes, and Tentai Senshi Sunred (?), for the lolz. I've never seen the show, nor do I fully understand what's going on, but my cousin showed me these openings yesterday and I love it already. Tongue-in-cheek superhero parodies ftw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgf9TvywrQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VmfzITt6Cc
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Reborn

Postby Reborn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Eden of the East and Zetsubou Sensei has been said so...
I'll say Code Geass: Orange Range - O2
This song really makes me cry everytime i hear it. All Code Geass OP/ED's are really good by the way. And I love Orange Range ^^
Shhh. My common sense is tingling.

Bishop

Postby Bishop » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:54 am UTC

gamoneterik wrote:I adore the second OP for Death Note, the metal one. It's by a band called "Maximum The Hormone". Such a Japanenglish name for a band, yet the song is very non-J-Metal. If anyone knows the song, try singing this to it: "Rub the fuzzy head of the kitty-cat": it fits!

Agreed! Also, cowboy bebop's is always fun to listen too. It makes me want to dance to it everytime I watch cowboy bebop

UMOP

Postby UMOP » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:09 am UTC

Baccano's OP is really good, mostly because of the music but the animation can hold up by itself. Too bad the ED is garbage.

Also, I find myself guiltily enjoying Dango Daikazoku and Sora Mimi Cake.

BrighTide

Postby BrighTide » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 am UTC

This is one i made myself, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwOAmw8d95o

adrift

Postby adrift » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 am UTC

Haibane Renmei opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxY0ALI7izo
Haibane Renmei ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16VLYXEwjo

I recommend listening to the entire soundtrack, which contains the full-length versions of these tracks as well as other versions and of course other songs. Composer is Ōtani Kō. :)
Last edited by adrift on Sun May 30, 2010 7:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

angry_robot

Postby angry_robot » Thu May 27, 2010 11:59 am UTC

serial experiments lain opening theme, boâ - Duvet.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri May 28, 2010 3:31 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:Last Exile: Cloud Age Symphony/Over The Sky

The entire Last Exile soundtrack is excellent. Half of the reason I love that series is the music.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:30 am UTC

Okay so bumping with the Bakemonogatari ending. I like this track.

Kimi No Shira Nai Monogatari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQEPPQa2Xo

EDIT:
And the OP mentioned Elfen Lied, so I'll mention the ending as well, its good.
Be Your Girl - Chieko Kawabe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itTMpKXkfvQ
I write a blog rant here.

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:45 am UTC

angry_robot wrote:serial experiments lain opening theme, boâ - Duvet.

Thank you! I was about to flip my shit about how no one had mentioned this song. Granted the rest of the music from lain was meh at best but duvet was really good.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Heroes Come Back - Nobodyknows.

Asian rap (one of naruto's openings).
I write a blog rant here.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 am UTC

archeleus wrote:Okay so bumping with the Bakemonogatari ending. I like this track.

Kimi No Shira Nai Monogatari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQEPPQa2Xo

Love love love this song. It happens to be one of "our" songs, IYKWIM.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

Let's see... what's already mentioned?

Illium - just striking.
Joe Hisaishi - not OP/ED per say but almost everything he does is brilliant. Especially this piece.
Evangelion - The OP is good, but not nearly as good as the rest of the soundtrack. The OST have been my steady companion since I watched it four years back. So outrageously good use of it too. Bach's Air in End of Evangelion (starts at 3:53, spoiler alert and graphical warning)is one of the most brilliant sequences I've ever seen. It just multiplies the sensation.

I'm not much of a OP/ED guy, but there are exceptions:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Again, first OP. Even in it's greatness, it's overshadowed by the singularity of epic that is the FMAB OST 1-3. Just listen to it:
Requiem for the Brigadier General
Trisha's Lullaby
And of course the manly man-song of Lous Armstrong, also known as Amestris Military March.

There is more, I just can't think of it... hm. :x
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Return to “Music”