Woodwind Music Question

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

silvermace

Woodwind Music Question

Postby silvermace » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

Sorry if this doesn't go here, I was debating over whether to put in school or in music, so please move if this isn't appropriate.

Well my question is over woodwind instruments, mainly those that uses a single reed (saxophone, clarinet, ect.) What I was wondering is that why do you sometimes "squeak" when playing, and if there's a way to prevent this. I personally play the Contra Clarinet in concert band for my school, and I almost never squeak when i'm playing. The only times i do is during these off days where no matter what I do, some notes just never come out. I was wondering if it was a reed placement or possibly a dryness issue? I don't know, any help would do!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Re: Woodwind Music Question

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

i played clarinet back in elementary school, but from what i recall, the squeak comes from uncontrolled air (re: too much) coming through the instrument. if you're having an off day, it's possible that you aren't controlling your breathing properly.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

Reeds die. That's what seemed to be the problem whenever I squeaked. Though that hasn't happened to me personally in a long time, since I tear through reeds rapidly nowadays.
~steve

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:29 am UTC

Yeah it has a lot to do with embouchure and air. Embouchure just develops over time, and you just have learn the amount of air you need for particular notes. But yes if a reed is too dry, it will squeak a lot more, as well as one that doesn't sit right on the mouthpiece.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:38 am UTC

Air air air air air.

The main thing I've found that keeps me from squeaking on notes on bass clarinet is not making a big deal out of them, play it as any other note, and make sure you use A LOT of air, don't try to play quietly so noone will hear it if you squeak, if you do so, you will squeak.
Rawr!

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

Maybe that's why I don't squeak anymore, I played the tuba exclusively for a while...
~steve

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:29 am UTC

Whistling helps with embouchure conditioning and also annoys the hell out of people :lol:

Return to “Music”