xkcd Internet Band--Now Organizing (newcomers still welcome)

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

zorro226

Re: xkcd Internet Band--Now Organizing (newcomers still welcome)

Postby zorro226 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

This mix needs a Euphonium. *I volunteer*
also trombone.

or mediocre bass if all the bassists die.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Hi, can I be a newcomer as well? I play electric and acoustic guitars moderately well, Keys/Piano pretty well, and Ukulele and mandolin. I play piano/keys in a band, and I sing and play guitar solo sometimes as well, but I'm absolutely certain that there's enough singers without me (I'm not particularly good, in other words). I'm also a percussionist, but not very good.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:52 am UTC

I've somehow missed this tread a lot. I also noticed you don't have a tenor sax player on the main list, which I would be happy to volunteer for. I do classical and am starting heavily into jazz/blues. I'm not a music major but I'm taking lessons in college and I think I'm a fairly good player (8 years worth). Plus since it's going to be mixed, there's plenty of time to play it right. My school has awesome recording equipment in the practice rooms, if I can figure out how to connect my laptop to the system and download. Otherwise, laptop mic! Oh, I can do alto and, given enough warning (I have to steal it from a friend), soprano.

Chaeleigh

Postby Chaeleigh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 am UTC

I play Clarinet and Saxophone and Piano...and I own a flute and oboe that I can somewhat play (my main instrument is Clarinet). I also took AP Music Theory in high school and I'm studying it in college (not my major, just a minor & interest) but I'm pretty good at writing music, and really good at arranging already-made songs into different instrumentations (given I have the music for them, which isn't normally hard to get). And I have experience with Audacity.

Guiro

Postby Guiro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:54 am UTC

I play guitar and sing (tenor). I guess there are already a bunch of guitarists, but I can throw in my singing skills.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

If you feel the need for more flute, some piccolo, or an operatic soprano, I could hit that. My voice isn't good for pop, but given that you have instrumentation totally unlike pop, that hopefully wouldn't matter.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Well, unfortunately (since it seems like we keep attracting newly interested members every so often), momentum on this project seems to have petered out. I think at this point we need anyone with leadership skills to take the reins. Just be the head leader, it doesn't seem like we have a ton of people vying for that position--at all.

There hasn't been a lot of organizing going on in the Google Wave project either, for which I (as one of the participants) am partly to blame.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

Well, if no one else is wanting to take the lead I wouldn't mind doing it for a bit, at least until we had some kind of system for choosing song leaders up and running.
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Okay, sounds good to me.

You said on Google Wave that you could get a bass track recorded, right? How about doing that then, and delegating parts from there?

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Ok then, I may have access to some recording equipment soon, if not I shall just try and use what the computer has, which might not be great. Expect something on the file hosting site within a couple of weeks as my normal bass and amp aren't with me at the moment.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

Crazyjosh

Postby Crazyjosh » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

i play flute (Grade 6) and drums (Grade 4), i can play a few chords on a guitar, and i beatbox. could i slide into this band somewhere?

howardh

Postby howardh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:47 am UTC

Is there any interest for classical music? There's some scores in public domain on IMSLP, so if there's anything there that we can play, it would save the time needed for composing a piece or writing out the music. We could start on something small, like a chamber music piece.

I should probably let you know that I've only played up to level 4 pieces on flute, but I might be capable of a bit more.

Suggestion for modifications to the OP:
It would help to have a table with more information on each participant (e.g. can read sheet music, skill level, can compose, etc.)

[edit]
Oops, I forgot that there was a Music Ideas thread.
meow

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am UTC

howardh wrote:Suggestion for modifications to the OP:
It would help to have a table with more information on each participant (e.g. can read sheet music, skill level, can compose, etc.)

I'll stick this here.
I can:
Play up to a high level of difficulty on both flute and piccolo (I'm short of professional orchestra level, but not short of anything else.)
Read music fluently for G clef (treble), a bit less so for F clef (bass clef), but do okay. Alto and tenor clefs are pretty much out of the question. (Not too good at jazz notation or guitar tabs/charts - better with classical.)
Compose, though it's likely to sound like a funeral dirge if I do. Can probably reasonable arrange for most woodwind instruments or for voice (any part), but I wouldn't trust me with percussion, brass or strings.

I can also whistle with a high degree of skill and have good relative pitch.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

TheDuke

Postby TheDuke » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:59 am UTC

I think I'll join if there's a spot. I've played cello for a few years (public school education, so not as good as I could be, but ah well.), guitar for a year and a half, and approaching a year on piano.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

This seems interesting, and I'd like to be involved. I play Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, and Bass clarinet very well (I just made it into District Band on Bass Clarinet as a sophmore, the first year one can be eligible for district band), and I have a very good alto and tenor. I also may be getting good Bass Clarinet soon.

I have played sax for around 6 or seven years, with all but one year being Tenor Sax. I played Alto my first year, and I have played since last spring after I got my uncle's Mk VI.
I've played Bass Clarinet for around two and a half years, and I'm pretty good at that.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

This looks interesting.

[oldjoke]dawg, I herd you like trumpets, so I put an trumpet in your volunteer section so you can trumpet while you band[/oldjoke]

Oh, nevermind. Anyways, seeing as this new-fangled laptop thingy I seem to have aquired has a built in mic, I'll offer up the fact that I can play the trumpet/cornet to a mild degree of mediocrity. Also, on a good/nothungover day, I may, just about, be able to sing. So I'll offer those.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

I humbly suggest that we set up a deadline in the "choon ideas" thread for people to submit tunes and ideas (durr...) and once that has been done, we start a poll, put up a NEW deadline for people in the band to vote on which tune/idea we'd like to implement and then we could start designating roles to people and stuff. Or...come up with some sort of initiative to get things started. That is...if everyone is cool with it...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

Hey, can I get added to that Wave? I told the original author my wave address, but I never got added. Who should I inform of this?

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

Bassoon wrote:Hey, can I get added to that Wave? I told the original author my wave address, but I never got added. Who should I inform of this?

[To whoever responds] Could you post the username on the thread? I need to give my wave-address too.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:15 am UTC

So, how the band is doing ? Could it be that a lot is happening, it's just that those not in the wave can't see it ?
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Well, hopefully a lot is happening. I guess it would be nice for updates to be posted here every now and then to let outsiders know what's going on. I don't plan on joining myself due to lack of time/recording equipment/my family would have no idea what I'm doing, but I am curious on the progress of the band.
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 am UTC

Oi vey, okay, um. No, regrettably, nothing at all has happened in the wave since near a month ago (December 28th, if it isn't misinforming me). And, it appears that all of the organizers, myself included, spontaneously and simultaneously lost interest (or time, or whatever) in trying to get this off the ground.

I think the fact that none of them (again, myself included) have responded in this thread since around that same time supports this hypothesis.

This is an unfortunate state of affairs.

Here's what I suggest: 1) we return to planning in this thread or another thread in this forum. Or really anywhere other than Google Wave, because clearly Google Wave isn't helping this group's planning/organization; we do that and/or, 2) we try to restart this with a call for new, more dedicated, leader-ly organizers to come in and replace the old crop. Presumably some of the old "organizers" could also join in with the new planning, if they can still contribute something, but the idea is to get some fresh decisive blood in here to reinvigorate things.

...That said, another more practical idea: maybe we need to set our sights even lower than they were before, just to start the ball rolling. ("Old crop", "fresh blood", "ball rolling"... I feel like I'm overusing metaphors. Anyway.)

How about someone--anyone--with half-decent timing records whatever cool, simple, rhythmic riff they want. Maybe just 30 seconds or so of the same thing, simply for others to jam against. So, others then add their own whatever-they-wants to it. I know, I know, that could lead to chaos. But right now I'm not even sure we can get more than 3 people to record something this way, so what the heck? It shouldn't get too crowded.

If it does, then it's good because suddenly we have many people interested again, and maybe we can start splitting off into sub-groups.

nezha

Postby nezha » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 am UTC

I just stumbled upon this thread and, well, if you guys still want to do this and need a 50th guitarist, I'm game.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

Well, here's a repetitive riff - http://www.sendspace.com/file/6gzorf
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

tes

Postby tes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

I agree absolutely to what icelizarrd said.
Well, I didn't post or go ahead as I didn't have so much time and icelizarrds sketches are surely better than mine would be.

Maybe also because I feel like apologizing for my English everytime I type something. :D

Aside from that, I just found this: http://www.vimeo.com/8902898
That looks astonishingly like what we want to put up here, doesn't it?

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

tes wrote:Aside from that, I just found this: http://www.vimeo.com/8902898

While I'm not a fan of rap/hip-hop, the idea and the actual result was great.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

icelizarrd wrote:Oi vey, okay, um. No, regrettably, nothing at all has happened in the wave since near a month ago (December 28th, if it isn't misinforming me). And, it appears that all of the organizers, myself included, spontaneously and simultaneously lost interest (or time, or whatever) in trying to get this off the ground.

I think the fact that none of them (again, myself included) have responded in this thread since around that same time supports this hypothesis.

This is an unfortunate state of affairs.

Here's what I suggest: 1) we return to planning in this thread or another thread in this forum. Or really anywhere other than Google Wave, because clearly Google Wave isn't helping this group's planning/organization; we do that and/or, 2) we try to restart this with a call for new, more dedicated, leader-ly organizers to come in and replace the old crop. Presumably some of the old "organizers" could also join in with the new planning, if they can still contribute something, but the idea is to get some fresh decisive blood in here to reinvigorate things.

...That said, another more practical idea: maybe we need to set our sights even lower than they were before, just to start the ball rolling. ("Old crop", "fresh blood", "ball rolling"... I feel like I'm overusing metaphors. Anyway.)

How about someone--anyone--with half-decent timing records whatever cool, simple, rhythmic riff they want. Maybe just 30 seconds or so of the same thing, simply for others to jam against. So, others then add their own whatever-they-wants to it. I know, I know, that could lead to chaos. But right now I'm not even sure we can get more than 3 people to record something this way, so what the heck? It shouldn't get too crowded.

If it does, then it's good because suddenly we have many people interested again, and maybe we can start splitting off into sub-groups.

Yeah, sorry for saying I could try and be a leaderly type person - obviously this did not materialise as I am not a very leaderly person, and I lost a bit of interest really. :(

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 am UTC

@King of Frogs, eh, it happens. You weren't the only one, as I said :D

I think the important part is that a decent number of people are still interested, which I think means we should be able to do something.

@Jar'O'Jam, that's very catchy, thank you for doing that. I may record some kind of simple keyboard part to add to it, although I'm really not the greatest pianist.

tes wrote:Aside from that, I just found this: http://www.vimeo.com/8902898

There's also a pretty impressive "Virtual choir" put together by composer Eric Whitacre. He put up a video with himself conducting, and asked the internet at large to record themselves singing their parts.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 am UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:Well, here's a repetitive riff

Nifty. Can you scribble down a chord list, to save us lazy ones from having to guess?

The main thing holding me back, so far, is uncertainty around format. In a perfect world, we'd all have .wav files of our individual tracks for someone with a good mixer to finish up. That's pretty unrealistic, though. Do I record my track along with the original and pack the whole thing up as .mp3, or just my own track (using the original as a scratch)?

These things keep me awake at night sometimes get thought about.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 am UTC

poxic wrote:Nifty. Can you scribble down a chord list, to save us lazy ones from having to guess?
As near as I can tell, it goes something like this (all major):
A C G | A C G | A C G | D C G
Except the very first time: there's an extra A C G measure added to the front.
Repeat that 2 more times (3 times total), then finish with
A G F E

But of course I could be wrong.

poxic wrote:The main thing holding me back, so far, is uncertainty around format. In a perfect world, we'd all have .wav files of our individual tracks for someone with a good mixer to finish up. That's pretty unrealistic, though. Do I record my track along with the original and pack the whole thing up as .mp3, or just my own track (using the original as a scratch)?
I'm pretty sure individual tracks will be best, they're the more important thing. If you have the ability, though, it might be nice to hear an mp3 of the new version combined with the original ("packed up as a .mp3") for reference, but it isn't necessary.

New edit/update: Ignore everything in the spoiler below if you either don't care about or don't want to bother with the specifics of silence offset or file format. This is now optional, in the "it would make things easier, but it's not necessary" category. The only thing you really need to worry about is getting a recording of your playing to someone involved somehow.

Spoiler:
From here on I'm addressing anyone who's participating, not just poxic: here's a (supposedly) ideal example of a simple rhodes-esque keyboard accompaniment I threw together. (It is pretty much noise-free because I was actually playing a software synthesizer directly on my computer. Obviously real world recordings won't be perfectly clean.)

Individual keyboard .wav <--- The essential thing to upload is this: the individual recorded track, in .wav or .aiff format. Note, by the way, there is a short silence at the start, before any sound starts: that's so that it lines up correctly with the guitar part when the two are dropped into a multitracking editor/whatever. More on this later. Note also that it is a mono file, because that saves space and bandwidth, and most people can't record in stereo anyway.

Guitar + Keyboard rough mix for reference<---- And here's the two of them together, for reference. This file is unessential, but handy. It will be nice for the next player who adds something to have this to play against while recording, since otherwise it's harder to get a feel for the whole thing. These can probably be in an mp3 format or whatever you want, as this example is, since they will be used for others to record against, not for the final mix.

If y'all don't know how to combine your new recording with the old one, don't worry about it, someone else (like me) can take your individual track and do it for you.

Okay, about silence: for anyone adding new material, it's important that you keep your recording length consistent with the original. By that I mean, if you're starting on an offbeat, or maybe even 4/16/20/100 measures in, whatever the case may be, record the silence in the beginning before you play. Or, if you know how, make sure that the appropriate length of silence is added into the wave file through some other means than sitting around recording nothing until your part comes up. This silence addition isn't 100% necessary, but it makes things a lot easier. If you're recording new material that starts at the exact same time the original does, then you don't need to worry about this. Probably.

If y'all don't know how to record something so that you get the silence in the beginning to accord with the original, ummm, we'll figure something out. It can either be edited by hand, or I'll post a tutorial on how to do it in something like Audacity. We might also end up using something like a beep in the beginning to synchronize things--we'll see how hard this is.
Last edited by icelizarrd on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

Zzz. If people still are interested, I can re-record the same idea or something similar in better quality and post a .wav instead of .mp3

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:03 am UTC

The big wad of inertia to overcome, for me anyway, is getting started on all the side work I'd need to do. Start researching some decent and cheap/free home recording software, or bite a bullet and ask to use my friend's gear. Put in the time needed to learn to use said software or run my friend's gear. Get off my ass and do something about that open offer to buy the friend's nifty keyboard from him, or at least get it over here for a while. (It's big and heavy and I'm vehicle-less.)

In other words, I'm stuck in procrastinator's hell, and this isn't the only project-in-potential that I'm kicking around. Maybe I'll get a big burst of energy when the weather gets better and it'll all happen then. Or not. It's easy as pie to get into recording when it's a meatspace jam with real live people (and someone else does the recording). It's a lot harder when it's a vague, wispy thing involving Internet People, who as we all know don't really exist. :wink:
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 am UTC

I think the most important thing to get things started is to have the composer create parts and distribute them to everyone. Then we can worry and talk about recording. Maybe people won't get their feet off the ground until they see something happening right now.
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

Insignificant User

Postby Insignificant User » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:45 am UTC

I play the piano and trombone fairly well. Probably late intermediate/early advanced on both. I suck at song writing though.

ongakujin

Postby ongakujin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 am UTC

I would like to get in on this if possible. I can play keys, and I have a Mellophone, which could be a more unique voice.

I can also do composing and arranging (just don't ask me to write lyrics), and I have the software to put out nice looking sheet music to distribute to people if it would be helpful.

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Was it all the junk I was saying about silence and file format that put people off? If that's so, then please, fellow XKCD-ians, ignore everything I said there completely. We'll find a way to work with whatever you submit. (As long as the quality's not too bad.) Let's say none of that stuff is required, it just gives you bonus 1337-audio-geek points :P.

As long as we're still trying to get things off the ground, we're better off with YouTube'd webcam performances than nothing.

boring bore wrote:I think the most important thing to get things started is to have the composer create parts and distribute them to everyone. Then we can worry and talk about recording. Maybe people won't get their feet off the ground until they see something happening right now.
Well, if you look up a little earlier in the thread, we got a short chord progression recorded with an acoustic guitar. I also added some keyboard to it, although since that was mainly for demonstration, I'd be fine with leaving that out; but either way, it was still work being done on the project.

Nonetheless, you're right that written parts just might help. In which case:
ongakujin wrote:I can also do composing and arranging (just don't ask me to write lyrics), and I have the software to put out nice looking sheet music to distribute to people if it would be helpful.
Could you perhaps write a short and simple piece, then? Or even part of a longer one that's incomplete. Maybe pick one or two instruments from the list in the first post, and get some parts posted for them.

Or I could do the same myself, since I'm the one who volunteered first, of course. I just feel a little too flaky at the moment to be committed to the project like that.

ongakujin

Postby ongakujin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Someone suggested a cover of the XKCD loves the discovery channel, and I kind of liked the idea. Maybe I'll play around with that a bit.

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:18 am UTC

poxic wrote:... researching some decent and cheap/free home recording software, or bite a bullet and ask to use my friend's gear. Put in the time needed to learn to use said software or run my friend's gear
Hmm, software, I should have thought of that as an obstacle.

Probably the most convenient piece of software is Audacity. It's cross-platform (Mac, Windows, Linux) and open source! For simple recording, it should work just fine. Load the audio file you're playing against for reference, hit the big friendly record button, and do yo' thang. (Preferably using headphones for your playback while recording.) It will create the new track for you automatically. If you didn't get the performance 100% right on the first take (which is bound to happen, unless you're a godlike musician), you can mute that take, or delete it by clicking the little "x" on the left of the track. When you're done, either mute everything except your best performance, or delete all the other tracks, then select "export" from the file menu.

For those who are brave and have free time on their hands, there are some more complicated (but still free) alternatives:
KRISTAL (Windows)
MU.LAB Free (Windows, Mac OS X)
Ardour (Linux and, evidently, Mac OS X)
MUSE (Linux)
Rosegarden (Linux)
(I think one of those last three doesn't really support audio well, but I can't remember which.)

(I should also mention REAPER, which is a fantastic program for Mac and Windows. Thing is, it isn't actually free, but shareware (or something similar); it has a short nag screen, and you're obliged to pay for it after 30 days, though it will continue working exactly the same after then.)

Gizzmo0815

Re: xkcd Internet Band--Now Organizing (newcomers still welc

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

I'm still in!!!

I've just been horribly busy. I'll take a whack at Icelizard's song file tonight and see what I can come up with, then repost.

What about IRC chat? There's already a good server set up for #XKCD chat and it's a pretty universal format. Timing would be weird of course. But times/dates of IRC chat meetings could be edited into the thread title.

Rock on!!
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

Essah

Re: xkcd Internet Band--Now Organizing (newcomers still welc

Postby Essah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Hey.
this is a cool idea,
I Can play Drums and would like to participate. I'm not expert but i'd say i play reasonably well.
what is the idea about playing together? recording the same song and then mixing it together ?

anyway i have an electric drum kit so connecting it to a computer is possible but i need a little advice on how exactly its done.
i tried to do an Ad hoc set up with a microphone next to a headset but its not really ideal.

Return to “Music”