xkcd Internet Band--Now Organizing (newcomers still welcome)

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Re: xkcd Internet Band--Now Organizing (newcomers still welcome)

Postby sillybear25 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

It's been suggested both here and in the other thread that we take on a cover song (specifically, "My Generation," possibly with Randall's lyrics) in order to "test the waters" before we get too far into this. I would be totally okay with that, especially because the song's repetitive nature opens up a lot of room for solos (even more so if we go into the "Live at Leeds" solo section ending), so people would have an opportunity to stand out. Plus, The Who rock. Thoughts, anyone?
This space intentionally left blank.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:31 am UTC

i dunno i mean if we wanna do that we can do a 12 bar blues or something with a really simple melody. in an arrangement like

Melody lasting all 12 bars
solo for 8 bars
last 4 bars to like, reiterate the melody/bridge between solos
solo for 8 bars
solo for 8 bars
last 4 bars to like, reiterate the melody, do maybe some loud chaotic thing
melody lasting all 12 bars
solo for 8 bars
solo for 8 bars
solo for 8 bars
last 4 bars to like, reiterate the melody, do maybe some loud chaotic thing

TL;DR
melody-solo-solo-solo-melody-solo-solo-solo-melody-etc.
over (say) a 12 bar blues in Bb
uhhhh fuck.

Thedarkherb

Postby Thedarkherb » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:58 am UTC

I can do Vocals

wst

Postby wst » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Can I be a newcomer? I bought a bass guitar about 3 hours ago and it'll give me some structure to my learning (: Mould me while I'm fresh!
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

Well...I don't post here very often but I do lurk a ton.

I've got a home studio that I use for my own stuff, but I've been mixing/mastering for a while now.

I've noticed your lack of percussion and while I don't play drums I'm pretty good with building percussion backings with samplers and whatnot (even realistic sounding ones).

I also play guitar (electric/acoustic) and bass, vocals and love songwriting so I'd be more than happy to help.

I would submit that the forum likely isn't the best place to do this thing, and that ther is a dire need for a "bandleader".

I know I know, everyone wants to be the leader, but I think it might be best to just pick a person to be in charge of the song and let them have veto authority over the decisions (taking people's suggestions to heart of course). Or nothing will ever get done.

The bandleader should be the one to decide who needs to do what in the song for example:

"Hey Joe, it says up at the top of the thread that you play jazz bass. We need a jazzy bass line from bar3 up to bar 24, can you record up a file and send it to Bill who'll put it into the mix?

And Sally, you've got a flute solo starting at bar 32, just go crazy with it over that chord progession and send a few samples to Bill so he can put them in as well."

There's no saying that there couldn't be work on more than one song also. If someone has an idea for a song they can just look up at the list and contact the person who plays whatever instrument they need and send them a backing track, tell them what they need and then work with that. And of course give the credit where it's due.

Trying to control this thing like a real world band just won't work. But I think using it as an "open musician call" of sorts would be awesome...
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

From what I've heard of Google Wave, it sounds like it might be handy for organizing this whole thing. A friend sent me an invite, and I'm working on getting the hang of how the whole thing works. As of right now, I have 8 invites, but I'd like to hear others' opinions before handing them out, especially since we'd have to coordinate some sort of invite chain if we wanted to get everyone in on it.

Thoughts?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 am UTC

i do have the google wave. we could do the organizing on the google wave.
uhhhh fuck.

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:From what I've heard of Google Wave, it sounds like it might be handy for organizing this whole thing. A friend sent me an invite, and I'm working on getting the hang of how the whole thing works. As of right now, I have 8 invites, but I'd like to hear others' opinions before handing them out, especially since we'd have to coordinate some sort of invite chain if we wanted to get everyone in on it.

Thoughts?

I don't have an invite, but I have used it. It's a fantastic idea.

Google wave would allow for almost immediate input to changes, as well as backtracking to fix problems that would inevitably come up later on during the production of a song.

If you're willing to use your invites for it, I'm totally in.
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:01 am UTC

I'd still be interested in contributing in whatever way I can, too.

Is there any possibility of Google Wave becoming open to the public and not just invite-only some time soon?
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

frenchieak

Postby frenchieak » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:27 am UTC

I've seen a few people on here say they can play bass, but if you need another, or someone drops out, let me know.
Sounds fun. :)

AwesomeJosh

Postby AwesomeJosh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

I can play a mean marimba, and I actually own one! Unfortunately, it is currently down at my parents' house in Florida...but eventually I'm hoping to get it up here somehow.

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:58 am UTC

I think Wave'd be a really good idea for this. I'm on Wave, but I can't remember if I have any invites left. We need to get this thing rolling again, I think. Dead time is what kills ideas like this.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:02 am UTC

I like the idea of a database of musicians-in-waiting, rather than "here are 112 musicians we have to work in somehow".

If there were a place we could all upload samples of our playing, different sounds and types of skill for example, then songwriters and idea people could give a listen to find out who they think they'd want to ask to contribute to their individual projects. If several projects are going on at once, it'll keep things hopping a bit.

And I still like the original "internet band" idea. I'm just a wee bit concerned that jamming every available person into a single event will be ... unpredictable at best. :)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:23 am UTC

poxic wrote:I like the idea of a database of musicians-in-waiting, rather than "here are 112 musicians we have to work in somehow".

If there were a place we could all upload samples of our playing, different sounds and types of skill for example, then songwriters and idea people could give a listen to find out who they think they'd want to ask to contribute to their individual projects. If several projects are going on at once, it'll keep things hopping a bit.

And I still like the original "internet band" idea. I'm just a wee bit concerned that jamming every available person into a single event will be ... unpredictable at best. :)

I like that. Does mediafire handle that amount of uploads? I mean, it'd be easier to have a central database than a ton of people going "Hey lezz do this".

And maybe once in a blue moon or some shit it can be all thirty or forty people playing (in a spare, restrained, un-zappa manner) but that's unusual at best.

This would work really well with a subforum:
--Have a sticky topic of "Our central database of musicians/what they play/clips of what they've played(/and maybe what projects they are already busy with)"
--And then another one of like "master list of completed songs/songs in progress"
--And then individual threads with a format of "<genre X>, need rhythm section/horn section/drummer/full band" or something
--And then in the thread make some samples of what you want it to sound like, tell them exactly what instrumentation you need, and then have people sign up. so a few weeks, if you made a thread about a latin funk song, it might look like this:

POXIC'S LATIN FUNK TUNE - STILL NEEDS A TRUMPETER
Alright so my name is Poxic and I've got a latin funk tune that sounds cool to me cause I, poxic, love latin funk*. I need a trumpeter for this latin funk song.
So far we have: [and i'm just pulling names from the list]
MightyJalepeno on bass [here's a link to his part of the song]
Midnight on drums [and a link to his part]
Knigget on Alto Sax [and a link to knigget's part]
sillybear25 on Trombone [and a link tosillybear's part]
Poxic on keyboards [and a link to the part of me, poxic]
------ on Trumpet
So the song is like an ABBC format with like an A intro/bridge, a B verse, and a C chorus. It's in the key of F and the chord progression revolves around G-C-F-F. The melody for the verse is [this]**, the chorus is [this]** and we can just kinda do a freeform thing for the bridge (midnight has suggested something like [this]**).
So far, when Blinke put the sections together, it comes out like [this]**. I think we need a trumpet to round this out. Who's in? Midnight believes that trumpets should always get solos in funk songs, so depending on what you want to do, that can be accomodated.

THIS SONG IS COPYRIGHT OF ME, POXIC, (C) 2009!

*In this above fictional quoted section, I am pretending to be you, Poxic. Furthermore, I harbor a belief that everyone loves latin funk.
**These bracketed bits would lead an intrigued fellow to a place where he can access all the files mentioned. Thus, posts, especially first posts, might be link-heavy.
Does that make ANY sense at all?

The more I look at this idea the more I want google wave for ez communication.
uhhhh fuck.

frogman

Postby frogman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:42 am UTC

Midnight wrote:*snip*

This is a good idea, I would support this organizational style.
yeah yeah yeah

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:43 am UTC

I, poxic, am terrifically unlikely to write/organise a latin funk song, given my abject state of knowledge of that style. Aside from that...

Your proposed structure is workable. Not everyone will have a set idea of what they want played -- for example, I would probably say "I'd like a kickin' bass line here, following this chord progression and drum track. Wow, you totally didn't do what I was expecting, but I like it, so I'll have to change what I expected to happen next." Different people would have different requests, as different people are wont to do. :)

A sample of what I might post, were I to engineer a song amongst this group:
POXIC'S WHATEVER-THE-HELL SONG - STILL NEEDS A SOLOIST
OK, so we have this thing. The singer has given his/her first crack at it but wants more time to polish it up, so use this as a practise track. Do you think your instrument can provide the highlights we'll need? It's kinda blues-rock-indie-funk-martian, so if you think you'll dig it, give it a listen and tell me what you'd like to add.
Players on this project so far have been:
MightyJalepeno on bass [here's a link to his part of the song]
Midnight on doingdoing [and a link to his part]
Knigget on kumquat [and a link to knigget's part]
sillybear25 on economics [and a link to sillybear's part]
Poxic on anxiety [and a link to the part of me, poxic]

...and so forth.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:23 am UTC

I like Midnight's strategies. If the mods don't want to give us a subforum here (which is reasonable, that isn't really the function of this forum), maybe we should go with Google Wave. Or does anyone have a better suggestion for a place to digitally congregate?

It's looking like we really are going to need a "bandleader" or other guiding figure as Gizzmo0815 suggested, since it doesn't look like anyone's jumping forward to take the initiative yet, possibly because no one wants to step on anyone else's toes. Which is a good, healthy motivation, but it may not lead to productivity. Are we still leaning toward "My Generation"? If so, I (or anyone else who wants to) could poke it along to get some momentum going. Suggest an outline, instrumentation, form, piece length, or starting points, etc.

There seems to be a pretty unanimous agreement that we need a solid rhythm track to begin with, and that sounds good to me. Practically speaking, the actual song is very "call and response", with most of the band dropping out for the first two bars, then everyone joining back in again for the next two bars. (Until the longer jam sections). For ease of recording, maybe we should get a bass track going that plays constantly, and ignore the call-and-response structure until the first few individual calls and responses gets recorded.

Or we could just have someone who's confident and a strong player go at it. (Or use sampled/synthesized rhythms to begin.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that the first fundamental track does not at all need to be the final version of that track. As long as the rhythm and pitches are solid, you can go back and redo it to fancy it up and make it more expressive later. Or whatever.

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

I'm in agreement with Midnight's idea. Getting everyone on a song would be very difficult, and trying to do so will only end with people's noses being put out of joint, so a musical-collective-for-hire may be the best idea.

If you like I can lay down the (verse and chorus) bassline for "My Generation" in a few days' time to begin with and see if we can work around that. I could learn a bass solo as well, but that would take me a bit longer.
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

If I could I would be somewhat interested in this, but the instruments I am highly proficient in are already represented. I could also sing, I have a fairly good bass/baritone range.
~steve

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Midnight's idea is the best so far.

If we can't get an xkcd sub-forum or access to Google Wave, there's still plenty of free sites that support forums, such as Forumer.
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

As I said before, I have 8 Wave invites, but I feel they should be given to those who are helping organize this over those who are merely interested in participating (all the invites should get around eventually, but I think organizers should get 'first dibs'). I really don't feel like going back through the thread and seeing who's contributing most to organizing this thing, so I'll go on the honor system. If you are making organizational contributions (managing, writing, composing, etc.), send me a pm with your email and I'll send you an invite.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:18 am UTC

Well I have some wave invites available. Want me to make a wave?

I feel like I'm bad at organizational stuff so I don't really wanna like, step in the lead. but, if need be, i'll do it.

Also, sillybear, i dunno if writing/composing should necessarily be considered an organizational thing. Cause I mean, making/managing the wave is organizational and stuff--but if you're a writer/composer, you're floating dead in the water until you can get some contributing musicians in there anyways. so what if we just hammer out the details.. and i'll give my invites to whoever wants them on this thread*

*and using the honor system in a different way: only if you use at least some of your wave invites to get in other xkcd-internet-band-peeps into the system too.
uhhhh fuck.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:30 am UTC

I'm not by nature an organiser. I'm more of a bloodhound: give me task, one that's right up my alley, and I'll shove my nose so far into it I'll come out the other side. (Or something. I have a tendency to abuse analogies.)

I'll be working with a gearfreak friend of mine, an old-school sort of band geek who hunts down new-old-stock tubes online for fun. He'll have a buttload of advice for me around recording and sound quality, some of which I'll use and some of which will sound like post-graduate math to me. Heck, I might even convince him to join us, but that might be one of those "careful what you wish for" things. >.>

That said, I'll ask him in the next few days what I can use to record some samples, or if we can do it chez his place where all the recording gear lives. I'd rather figure out something here, though, since future recording endeavours will likely happen here too.

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:06 am UTC

I'm not usually much of an organizer either, but I seem to be inclining toward that role for this project. So I'd like to help with that, and I could potentially lead. (Unless Midnight's comment about "i dunno if writing/composing should necessarily be considered an organizational thing" was supposed to be specifically directed at me, and I just missed the hint...?)

Anyway, one of my friends invited me to Wave already, so I don't need an invite myself. And now I have 8 of my own invites to offer to anyone else who'd like.

I took the liberty of creating a wave for the group (I think the only real privilege of being the creator is that you add the other people to your wave? I'm not going to make a fuss if someone else wants to make it instead), and I started messing around with it a bit. You can upload files of up to 20 megabytes, which might do to begin with; we can use it in conjunction with MediaFire as need be, of course.

PM me with your Wave email address and I'll add you to the group. Or post it here if you aren't concerned about spam-spiders. (Or just post the first part, and I'll infer that the domain is @gmail.com).

OR, if you don't have a Google Wave invite yet, PM me with an email address and tell me that. (Or post it here, blah blah blah).

Slightly less relevant info about using an embedded streaming player:
Spoiler:
I thought it would be cool if Google Wave would give us a built-in player to preview uploaded audio. Regrettably it doesn't. Buuuuut, it turns out SoundCloud lets you stream your uploaded audio from anywhere using a free embedded player. There's a Wave gadget for embedded HTML, so you can add conveniently streaming audio to a wave. Less conveniently, SoundCloud does not allow you to download the original file unless you're a premium member or some garbage like that, even if you're the one who uploaded it.

Still, in case anyone wants to use it, I made a SoundCloud account with the same details as the MediaFire account (address: angular_momentum@live.se, password: hedgeclipper).

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

I'll just say that I signed up for gmail and for this forum in the time before I thought it would be wise to have different login information for things, and I used the same gmail to sign up for wave. That should be enough information to add me to the wave without giving out info to spam spiders, without the hassle of sending out multiple pms to people.

And considering we don't really have that much anyway organizationally, I like Midnight's honor system. So I'll invite the first 8 to pm me, but please make your invites available to other band members.

tes

Postby tes » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

I already thought the attention to this has suddenly dropped (fortunately it hasn't)!

Although I'm surely not better in organizing things than poxic, midnight and icelizarrd, I'd like to get involved a bit. From Christmas on, I might be able to contribute by playing keyboard.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

I have Google Wave already. While I can compose music and everything (should we all decide on a standard format? I have Sibelius for composition, but can get Finale through my school), I'm honestly just interested in playing with people I don't know.

So, is there a way to connect to people who weren't invited by each other in Wave? Because then I could connect with everyone who already has it and invite more people.
~steve

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:55 am UTC

In order to be added to the wave, someone already in the wave needs your google account name. Currently, the only two added to the wave are icelizzard and myself, so if you already have Wave, pm one of us to add you.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Oh that's quite simple then. I'm in an intense bidwar right now, I'll get back to you all later.
~steve

Zorlin

Re: xkcd Internet Band?

Postby Zorlin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:Anyone have any better ideas?

Subversion/SVN repository and a semi-private forum.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:00 am UTC

Argh, lost it. Bid on a Mark VI Bari. Would have been beautiful.
~steve

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:24 am UTC

a... real one? selmer mark vi's are expensive as fuck aren't they?
uhhhh fuck.

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

*collective poke*

So, is it just that everyone's busy these last few days, or is it no one else is keen on the Google Wave plan?

edit: Spoke too hastily, we do have two more members in the wave now.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:30 am UTC

It seems my invites have multiplied. I now have 24 invites, which should cover a good part of the (woefully out-of-date) list, so if anyone would like an invite but was worried about there not being enough to go around, send me a pm with your email and I'll send you an invite. Once again, first-come, first-served; promise to invite other participants, since I don't have enough invites; etc.

Also, once again, if you already have wave, send one of us a pm to add you to the wave. Wow, it's really confusing because of the way Google named things. To clarify, if you are already a Google Wave (online application) member, pm one of us to add you to the wave (conversation-type-thing within the application).

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:22 am UTC

Mine went up too (to 25) and I just joined. Google must have decided not enough people were testing Wave out yet.

On an unrelated note, there's a downside to doing this in something as private as Google Wave, since it means newcomers of the future (and possibly-interested bystanders) won't have access to current project discussion. Maybe not a real major concern, but hrmm.

sillybear25 wrote:Wow, it's really confusing because of the way Google named things. To clarify, if you are already a Google Wave (online application) member, pm one of us to add you to the wave (conversation-type-thing within the application).
Maybe we should refer to the latter as "project wave" or "the project"? Or maybe "wavelet", although I think that's supposed to refer to specific parts of a wave, not the whole thing. o.O

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:a... real one? selmer mark vi's are expensive as fuck aren't they?

Yeah, this was the first one I'd seen in a while that wasn't astronomical. It had about 5% of its lacquer still on the horn, and appeared to need some pads/felts/keys/cork.

EDIT: I'm up to 24 invites as well.
~steve

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Heh, I was already forgetting this :| Hook me up with a google wave invite if you can. Should I pm someone my email?

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Man, I had subscribed to this thread but haven't recieved any notifications in ages, sorry for the absence :(

Google Wave does sound like a good idea, if anyone needs invites I've got plenty to share.

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Ledah wrote:Heh, I was already forgetting this :| Hook me up with a google wave invite if you can. Should I pm someone my email?
sillybear25, Blinke, or myself, evidently.

wellingtonsteve

Postby wellingtonsteve » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

icelizarrd wrote:
Ledah wrote:Heh, I was already forgetting this :| Hook me up with a google wave invite if you can. Should I pm someone my email?
sillybear25, Blinke, or myself, evidently.

I have 8 invites going, so if anyone wants one feel free to PM me!

Return to “Music”