New John Mayer album?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tzvibish

New John Mayer album?

Postby tzvibish » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Anyone listen to the new John Mayer album? From someone who loves him for being one of the best blues guitarists alive, is it worth a listen? I've heard that he's reverting back to the pop stuff of his Wonderland days :(
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

bbq

Re: New John Mayer album?

Postby bbq » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

I love it. I like his poppy stuff as well.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

sam.rem

Postby sam.rem » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:50 am UTC

If you really like his approach to song writing, you'll love the album. It's one of my favorites so far.

He does some sweet solos in it too, though they're much more sparse than in Try!.

iakiss

Postby iakiss » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:22 am UTC

im a huge john mayer fan, but Battle Studies is just as a whole not as good as his other albums. Frankly im tired of his whole heartbreak motif, he has all but killed it and i just wish he would get over it. That being said there are some good songs such as Who says and Perfectly lonely but many songs are just too poppy too repetitive and dont have the same...heart or meaning that most of Continuum had. I would have loved to see more fancy guitar work in the solos and in verses rather than the generic chords. I personally give it a 6/10 not bad but could be much better. NEEDS MORE BLUES!!!!!(anyone questioning his skill as a guitarist needs to watch "Where the light is" his dvd start to finish)

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Try! and Continuum this is not...

He's got very few guitar solos in the album and has very much reverted back to the Wonderland thing.

I agree that his "heartbreak" songs are getting a bit tired. I think he hit his love-theme peak with Continuum and frankly needs to find a new muse.

I will however say that his version of Crossroads impressed me.

Most die-hard blues fans will probably call the song blasphemy since it's VERY modern sounding. But I really do appreciate his ability to bring a delta blues classic to a modern audience. It's almost like a dance mix of Clapton's version, which would normally infuriate me, but it's quite catchy.
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

iakiss

Postby iakiss » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

i totally agree about crossroads, like you said i should hate it but i cant stop my self from liking it

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Right!!??

The first time I listened to it I was like...Oh god what the FUCK IS HE DO-...and then I looked down, and against all reason (and apparently without conscious input from my brain) my foot was tapping...

It's a catchy, catchy version.

I still haven't gotten over Madonna's rape of "American Pie" so I am almost always immediately averse to covers of classic songs...but he pulled it off.
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 am UTC

iakiss wrote:im a huge john mayer fan, but Battle Studies is just as a whole not as good as his other albums. Frankly im tired of his whole heartbreak motif, he has all but killed it and i just wish he would get over it. That being said there are some good songs such as Who says and Perfectly lonely but many songs are just too poppy too repetitive and dont have the same...heart or meaning that most of Continuum had. I would have loved to see more fancy guitar work in the solos and in verses rather than the generic chords. I personally give it a 6/10 not bad but could be much better. NEEDS MORE BLUES!!!!!(anyone questioning his skill as a guitarist needs to watch "Where the light is" his dvd start to finish)

This is what I was afraid of. I can watch where the light is over and over and over, and some of his pop stuff just makes me wince. Maybe he'll transform some of the new album into brilliance when he performs it live. Continuum was so-so for me until I heard the songs played live. It gave me a whole new interpretation of the album.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

I found it to be similar to a mix of Heavier Things and Continuum without being as good as either album. I concur with the sentiments that it doesn't match Continuum in musical showcasing, and the "heartbreak" theme is getting pretty old. IMHO the only great song on the album was "Who Says". Probably not worth buying.

Return to “Music”