Music Things You Are Ticked About

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Midnight

Music Things You Are Ticked About

Postby Midnight » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 am UTC

SO, today, I found this band called Maserati that's like, the best thing ever. And I was super psyched. Cause I was like "oh shit I wanna see this shit live holy hot damnnity"

And then I found out their drummer died but a month ago.

THIS IRRITATES ME GREATLY.

I thought about making a topic called, say, "Musicians that stopped doing their thing right around when you learned about it" but then I realized this topic would just be a random poster going "maserati" or "piglet" or "mac dre" or something.

THEREFORE, I am expanding this topic to the all-encompassing "things you are ticked about".

So, to further this conversation, I shall say this:

In the Opeth song, Porcelain Heart--which I enjoy quite a bit--I don't like the 6/8 acoustic guitar (and clarinets/oboes) breakdown with the lugubrious "rest your head now/don't you cry/don't ever ask the reason why" lyrics. The song (and many opeth songs) are all ABOUT goddamn sorrow. Porcelain heart is definitely about goddamn sorrow. But that specific line is irritating. And the acoustic guitar breakdown doesn't fit the song at all. The lyrical content is like, different. If this was a separate song I'd be like "eh, it's alright" but I wouldn't COMPLAIN.
NOW, is it "classic opeth"?--yes. I suppose. But they've put BETTER things in there. Like, I think something should BE there that isn't in accordance with the normal verse, but not an almost-cheesily-depressed, in-a-different-time-signature, with-different-instrumentation breakdown. Look at DELIVERANCE. That song flows like some kind of delicious and uncommonly fast flowing honey. On the same album as Porcelain Heart, the transitions in Heir Apparent are pretty goddamn schweet.
Yet Porcelain Heart's 6/8 acoustic breakdown kills it for me.

SO: MY QUESTION TO YOU, DEAR FORA-ITES:
What things happen in music that irritate you? This could be the music scene (ie Maserati's drummer dying right before I decide that "Show Me The Season" is one of the best songs ever) or bits-in-songs that are weird (ie Porcelain Heart). Or maybe you think Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song" is plain stupid. Or maybe you think the White Album is actually pretty lame, and that all the eastern-influenced george harrison shit in the later beatles albums are a silly crock. I DONT KNOW. WE DONT JUDGE.

And may I say... Once more unto the breach, my friends. Let loose a salvo of your greatest gripes! I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips, straining upon the start. The game's afoot: follow your spirit, and upon this charge--Complain, complain to your desire's wish!*

*and the original lines were also iambic. Why do I write better when I'm balls-ass-tired.
uhhhh fuck.

Kow

Re: Music Things You Are Ticked About

Postby Kow » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

There was a local DC band called The Low Life that had a really nice jazzy ska kind of music, but sadly they broke up long ago and it makes me sad.

Also, inb4kurtcobain

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Hendrix's death is the first that comes to mind. Followed by the fact that Neutral Milk Hotel disbanded after In the Aeroplane was released and Jeff Magnum has practically been in self-imposed musical exile since.
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:33 am UTC

Hendrix was one of those folks, though, like Keith Moon, where (when he died) everyone said "Welllllll nobody quite EXPECTED him to live to be 80".

And yes, Kow, you are inb4KurtCobain.

It sucks that Kurt Cobain killed himself. Also that his songs are on rockband and guitar hero now. Cause that's kinda why he killed himself (on a nonmusical note that's in the same vein: calvin (of 'and hobbes' fame) car decals make me want to punch people)
uhhhh fuck.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

Bands and their 'haitus'. Boooooo~. Make more music and go on more tours so I can give you more of my money. I was at the last show for the Foo Fighters last studio album (the name slips my mind) and Grohl said "We're gonna finish this up, get back in the studio, make a new album, and do this whole damn thing again!" LIAR! RHCP also took a haitus after a concert tour that never came near me, so I couldn't go. This was highly annoying.

As a side note, artists that refuse to let anything with their name on it get into Rock Band or Guitar Hero, and the 'learn to play a real instrument' crew. A lot of kids have actually picked up an interest in playing guitars because of these games, and the artists with music in the games usually see a boost in their popularity by introducing their songs to a new generation.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

This band broke up last summer, luckily I did see them play once:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9I8ijsBAE

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

The fact that the music I listen to is older than me so all my favorite musicians are either old or dead.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 am UTC

I'm ticked that the clubs near me are overrun with cover bands. There used to be a couple clubs that would book orignal bands, but one closed and the other does karaoke now. Now, live music is just various combinations of 3 to 5 people doing songs from the Clear Channel modern rock playlist. There'll be a Sublime song, a Blink 182 song and some rap song from the '90's that they're doing ironically. "Hey," they imply, "isn't it hilarious that we're doing 'Mr. Boombastic'?". No. No, it is not.

The only way for me to hear original music around here is to go to the local improv show, wait for them to ask for a genre, and yell out, "Musical". I've only done this twice, several months apart, since giving the same suggestion over and over defeats the purpose of improv. They cycle through members fast enough that I think there was only one performer in common at both shows, and he wasn't in the game where they asked for genres either time.

Sometimes there are tribute bands, which can be a little better since they typically care about the original act enough to play things besides the radio hits I've heard a thousand times. Still, it's not as fun as seeing some great band I've never heard of for the first time. I miss going to a club with no idea what to expect and coming home with new CDs.

It gets worse as time goes on. Though the local clubs aren't that great, I don't mind driving 45 minutes to Providence, or even an hour and a half to Boston to see bands I like. Sometimes the other bands are pretty good, so I still get to see something new. Unfortunately, the rate of bands I like breaking up is greater than the rate of finding new bands I like, so the number of interesting shows for me to go to is approaching zero.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:41 am UTC

This is less one band and more a whole genre...

When it comes to industrial/electric/noise/whatever-the fuck-you-want-to-call-it there's a definite similarity between a shitload of bands.
Almost every song will feature a very repetitive bassline, aggressive synths and then vocals that sound like a demon put through a synthesiser.
I've grown to call this 'That Song'.

I do not mind the music of 'That Song' and they all have different lyrics, however, that damn voice stops me being able to hear the lyrics! It makes the songs very difficult to tell apart...

Specifically, a band called Psyclon Nine that are musically different from a lot of the other bands but... the vocals just ruin it for me completely.
It makes me sad.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Jurassic 5 split up just as I was getting into them. It was fine, though, because I just got in my TIME MACHINE and went to see them live at Reading.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:23 am UTC

ProZac wrote:Bands and their 'haitus'. Boooooo~. Make more music and go on more tours so I can give you more of my money. I was at the last show for the Foo Fighters last studio album (the name slips my mind) and Grohl said "We're gonna finish this up, get back in the studio, make a new album, and do this whole damn thing again!" LIAR! RHCP also took a haitus after a concert tour that never came near me, so I couldn't go. This was highly annoying.

DANCE FOR ME LITTLE MONKEYS!!! DANCE!

I may not particularly like when bands go on hiatus, but I understand why they do. Releasing music and touring are work. It's not like you have much time to rest or make your own schedule. Sometimes bands just need a bit of a break so that the members can have time to breathe (read: write songs, spend time with the family, live a real life, etc.). Think about it, if you spend ALL your time with the same 3 or 4 other guys, you'd start to get on each others' nerves after a while, right? And I've seen some bands release great albums after coming back from a long hiatus (Zeromancer's "Sinners International", for example, is probably their best since their debut album "Clone Your Lover").

ANYWAY, my big musical annoyance is that I only ever found out about Elliott Smith the year after he died. Can't see him in concert if he's dead now, can I?

TaintedDeity wrote:This is less one band and more a whole genre...

When it comes to industrial/electric/noise/whatever-the fuck-you-want-to-call-it there's a definite similarity between a shitload of bands.
Almost every song will feature a very repetitive bassline, aggressive synths and then vocals that sound like a demon put through a synthesiser.
I've grown to call this 'That Song'.

I do not mind the music of 'That Song' and they all have different lyrics, however, that damn voice stops me being able to hear the lyrics! It makes the songs very difficult to tell apart...

Specifically, a band called Psyclon Nine that are musically different from a lot of the other bands but... the vocals just ruin it for me completely.
It makes me sad.

I think you need more experience in the genre of electronica (which encompasses everything from industrial to happy hardcore to house to nintendocore/micro). How about trying some KMFDM, MDFMK, Lords of Acid (NSFW video), Angelspit, oldschool Prodigy, Zeromancer, and Kidneythieves. The videos I linked are all Industrial or house/acid house. Maybe you don't like one small subgenre of industrial, but there is a large variety of sounds within industrial music.

Also, just a note: they may not have been the first industrial band out there, but KMFDM is THE quintessential industrial band. They released their first album in 1984 and have been releasing them fairly steadily since. Their most recent one was released this year and I got the priviledge of seeing them in concert for one of their 25th anniversary shows. If you don't like one of their albums, you might like one of the other 15 they've released or something on one of their fucktons of singles. Their sound has evolved a lot since that first release. All I can say is: Fuck yeah! 25 years of the Ultra-Heavy Beat!
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:40 am UTC

Thanks for the recommendations, I'd heard of most of those but not actually put much effort into hearing them.
Anglespit are awesome and Zeromancer are pretty good. I haven't given KMFDM much time but I will now :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:59 am UTC

In the same vein as the demon-through-a-synthesizer vocals, I really hate it when there's a song with a really good riff, but then some nasal/whiny/blubbering voice starts singing.
I also dislike how rap has now taken decided to take classics such as Africa by Toto, You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive, Every Breath You Take by the Police, or classicAL songs like Mozart's Turkish March and make it a rap. Remember kids, when you mix classics and rap, you get crap in my opinion.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:54 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:I also dislike how rap has now taken decided to take classics such as Africa by Toto, You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive, Every Breath You Take by the Police, or classicAL songs like Mozart's Turkish March and make it a rap. Remember kids, when you mix classics and rap, you get crap in my opinion.

Agreed. And Soft Cell's "Tainted Love"....

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

H2SO4 wrote:In the same vein as the demon-through-a-synthesizer vocals, I really hate it when there's a song with a really good riff, but then some nasal/whiny/blubbering voice starts singing.
I also dislike how rap has now taken decided to take classics such as Africa by Toto, You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive, Every Breath You Take by the Police, or classicAL songs like Mozart's Turkish March and make it a rap. Remember kids, when you mix classics and rap, you get crap in my opinion.

Smashing Pumpkins is one of the most popular bands whose vocalist drives me nuts. How do people like that get to be the lead "singer" of a band? A lot of my friends are baffled by this, but Ben Folds' voice is also painful for me to listen to. His falsetto makes me want to smash his otherwise decent albums to pieces.

And the stealing classics thing? that's what happens when a rapper can't think of a catchy hook. They just steal one from someone else. My favorite one is when they did this to a nursery rhyme. My brother listened to it on the local pop radio station for weeks.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:44 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:How do people like that get to be the lead "singer" of a band?

Probably because all the other folks are even worse singers. That's the case, I guess, with folks like Wayne Coyne, but at least the guy's brilliant enough to take his bad singing and turn it into a style of his own.

Something I'm ticked about right now? Stereolab on hiatus. I adore Chemical Chords, and I wished to see where they were going from there. But now, we ain't seeing it too soon; and knowing those guys, I haven't many hopes that such hiatus will ever end.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:56 am UTC

I hate bands that follow up great first albums with "artistic" departures... when they fail. When they succeed, I respect them more as a band and consider the follow up a classic.

Likewise it disappointed me that Subtle's followup to For Hero: For Fool and Man Man's followup to Six Demon Bag were so dull. When a band with obvious talent only puts out one fantastic album that's trouble.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:00 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:KMFDM is THE quintessential industrial band. They released their first album in 1984 and have been releasing them fairly steadily since.

I'd say that, arguably, Ministry's had more influence on the modern industrial scene for better or worse. The Mind is a Terrible Thing To Taste, Psalm 69 and Rio Grande Blood are all classics in my mind.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
KallistiEngel wrote:KMFDM is THE quintessential industrial band. They released their first album in 1984 and have been releasing them fairly steadily since.

I'd say that, arguably, Ministry's had more influence on the modern industrial scene for better or worse. The Mind is a Terrible Thing To Taste, Psalm 69 and Rio Grande Blood are all classics in my mind.

Can't say I've heard a lot of Ministry. I thought they were classified as more metal though? I feel like even though they're similar in some regard, industrial and industrial metal are not the same thing.

Okay, after looking up those songs, I think I was right on that count. It's kind of like the difference between Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, and The Pogues. All are considered Irish punk, but there are major differences. Here's the breakdown as I see it:
-KMFDM --> Industrial, emphasis on the electronica-based aspects
-Ministry --> Industrial metal, more emphasis on the metal

just as:
-The Pogues --> Irish punk, emphasis on the Irish
-Dropkick Murphy's --> Irish punk, emphasis on the punk
-Flogging Molly--> Irish punk, a good balance of Irish and punk

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

That is a road that does not need going down, the nuances of genre could be argued about for ever. We could be here for days.
Edit: For ever.
Ⓞⓞ◯

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Agreed. That's another thing that kind makes me mad about music: genres are such a gray area. I mean, yeah, polka and punk are obviously different, but how exactly do you separate stuff like rock, punk-rock, and pop-punk? That might not be the greatest example, but it's the best I can think of right now.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

I hate it when fans are the reason people hate a band, or even a genre. Similarly, I hate it when people dis a band just because a lot of people listen to them.

examples:

Phish-heads - They completely closed off the jam band scene from the rest of the regular world. Not every jamband is weed-fueled repetitive chromatic blues guitar solos. They have very efficiently convinced the world that "Silly rabbit, jambands are for weed!" Phish is partly to blame for this, but only because they do what the fans want them to do.

Dave Matthews Band - Dave matthews is an amazingly innovative guitar-player and versatile song-writer. Carter Beauford is one of the best funk drummers of all time. Stephan Lessard is one of the most under-rated bassists (you try following Carter's bass drum, and then tell me he's an amateur), and Leroi Moore is (was) a great horn arranger (not so fond of his playing, but the guy can arrange with the best of them). There isn't a lot not to like about this band. But they get some of the most vicious treatment by the "in" crowd I've ever heard. Why? Because they have a buttload of mainstream exposure and fanbase. This is dumb. I hate it. They're a good band. Why can't people just like a band because they play good music?
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:12 am UTC

tzvibish wrote:I hate it when fans are the reason people hate a band, or even a genre. Similarly, I hate it when people dis a band just because a lot of people listen to them.

Do you dislike the people not liking the band due to the fans or genre, or do you dislike the fans? Because with this (relatively) new Twilight obsession, your average Paramore fan is one of those "OMGG I WILL MARRY EDWARD!!!!" girls, and I think we can pretty much all agree that gets quite obnoxious. Now, I will point out that even though I don't like those fans, I still like Paramore.

On a related note, I hate when people say they like a band and can only name one or two songs by that band. If you like that band, then you can name more than one or two songs by them.

Yeah, I've been labeled a music snob.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:04 am UTC

tzvibish wrote:Dave Matthews Band - Dave matthews is an amazingly innovative guitar-player and versatile song-writer. Carter Beauford is one of the best funk drummers of all time. Stephan Lessard is one of the most under-rated bassists (you try following Carter's bass drum, and then tell me he's an amateur), and Leroi Moore is (was) a great horn arranger (not so fond of his playing, but the guy can arrange with the best of them). There isn't a lot not to like about this band. But they get some of the most vicious treatment by the "in" crowd I've ever heard. Why? Because they have a buttload of mainstream exposure and fanbase. This is dumb. I hate it. They're a good band. Why can't people just like a band because they play good music?

actually the reason the "in" (see: artsy/geek) crowd hates dave matthews is because bro-dudes (see: dumb-jock) are their mortal enemy and bro-dudes LOVE dave. they love dave so much that they drink too much and flip over cars in the parking lots of his concerts. (see: HARTFORD CONNECTICUT).

also:

i am ticked that ticketmaster and livenation, two of the biggest ripoff artists in the world, are trying to combine to make concert-goers MORE miserable and broke. ticketmaster already charges ridiculous amounts of money for tickets to shows that aren't even that expensive, livenation has a similar demeanor. combine them and you'll never be able to afford to go to a concert again! unless of course your rich parents pay for your dave matthews tickets. (see above link).
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:16 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:That is a road that does not need going down, the nuances of genre could be argued about for ever. We could be here for days.
Edit: For ever.

Oh, I know. That's why I didn't go any farther with it. Just the person I originally responded to I had construed as talking about stuff in the more electronica-based classification that I know as "industrial", there was a response about a different classification that that respondant called "industrial", and I figured I should explain the reasoning behind why I said what I said. KMFDM was pretty influential in their subset of industrial, while Ministry may be in theirs as well.

tzvibish wrote:I hate it when fans are the reason people hate a band, or even a genre. Similarly, I hate it when people dis a band just because a lot of people listen to them.

examples:

Phish-heads - They completely closed off the jam band scene from the rest of the regular world. Not every jamband is weed-fueled repetitive chromatic blues guitar solos. They have very efficiently convinced the world that "Silly rabbit, jambands are for weed!" Phish is partly to blame for this, but only because they do what the fans want them to do.

Uh, I think The Grateful Dead (and their fans) beat Phish (and THEIR fans) to that particular (acid-spiked) punch.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:22 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:On a related note, I hate when people say they like a band and can only name one or two songs by that band. If you like that band, then you can name more than one or two songs by them.
So if I hear a few songs by a band and I like them, and someone asks me if I like them, I'm not allowed to say so? I can see this as a problem maybe if someone is listing the band as some sort of attempt to get genre/indie/versatility cred, like if they're wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt because it's cool to be into classic rock but don't know any songs other than the singles off Dark Side of the Moon, but I tend to assume that people are honest when it comes to what music they like and aren't just trying to drop names (which is stupid anyway, even if you do like them). There are plenty of pop artists I would say I like, even if I'm only familiar with their singles.

Anyway, I don't like hidden tracks. Messes with playing music digitally. It's pretty disappointing to get to a final track that says it's 12 minute, anticipate a long, climactic ending, and get a 4 minute track plus 6 minutes of silence, then a 2 minute song that probably should have just been left off.

I also (usually) don't like it when non-ambient bands put ambient tracks on their albums, because they usually aren't very inspired and just feel like filler. There are exceptions (September Song by Pygmy Lush is an unexpected 25 minutes of ambient awesome), but usually it feels completely unnecessary. I'm talking to you, random black metal band who things filling a track with static and crackling fire, or rain, or wind will go well. A lot of thought goes into good ambient music, and these tracks usually seem to lack that.

Extended endings of songs can get annoying, too. I love Okkervil River, old and new, and I think Lost Coastlines is a great song, but it seems like the song ends long before it's actually over. It's cool when a band is playing live, not so cool when it's on a CD and I need to hear it every time I hear the song.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:46 am UTC

I'm bothered by bands that are too 'dark' and 'introspective' and pretentious to release their albums at a fucking decent rate. That is, Tool, if you're listening, if I don't get another Lateralus before 2011 we're through. Ffs.

Also, I'm bothered when that-one-band-that's-totally-the-best-thing-to-ever-happen-in-music-and-is-somehow-still-recording finally plays two shows in places that aren't Portland, Oregon or Holland but are still an ungodly amount of hours away. Really, Agalloch? You can spare two shows in the Mid-West, and the closest to me is in Chicago?
Not cool.

Also, badly made segues? If you drop those six 90-second songs that no one ever bothers to listen to because they're obviously derivative cop-outs, you'd have room for something with actual substance.

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Anyway, I don't like hidden tracks. Messes with playing music digitally. It's pretty disappointing to get to a final track that says it's 12 minute, anticipate a long, climactic ending, and get a 4 minute track plus 6 minutes of silence, then a 2 minute song that probably should have just been left off.

What he said.
On a similar note, the album "A Grand Declaration of War" of Mayhem has an empty track in the middle of the CD. (If I'm not mistaken. It has been a while since I've listened to that CD.)

Clumpy wrote:Ministry's had more influence on the modern industrial scene for better or worse. The Mind is a Terrible Thing To Taste, Psalm 69 and Rio Grande Blood are all classics in my mind.

I think you ment to say Skinny Puppy... :mrgreen:

I hate it that some people think you share the same political views as the bands you listen to. (I'm allowed to listen to Atari Teenage Riot, but not to Deutsch Nepal?)

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Chavroux wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:Anyway, I don't like hidden tracks. Messes with playing music digitally. It's pretty disappointing to get to a final track that says it's 12 minute, anticipate a long, climactic ending, and get a 4 minute track plus 6 minutes of silence, then a 2 minute song that probably should have just been left off.

What he said.
On a similar note, the album "A Grand Declaration of War" of Mayhem has an empty track in the middle of the CD. (If I'm not mistaken. It has been a while since I've listened to that CD.)

On a similarly similar note, when I was into Korn and their ilk, the fact that "Follow the Leader" had 12 tracks of just silence at the beginning of the CD bugged the hell out of me. It was like a whole hidden freakin' CD!

luvnotwar

Postby luvnotwar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:14 am UTC

I'm really miffed at how completely and utterly mediocre Muse's latest album is.

Blackholes and Revelations had a lot of depth and redeeming value despite it's pop bent. The Resistance has nothing. It's not like Muse has never repeated itself before, they seem to have a hard on for broken octaves, wailing falsetto, 1984/nostradamus inspired lyrics and arpeggiated synth. It's a combination that has worked really really really well for four amazing albums, each a natural and mature progression from the next. What's wrong with The Resistance is that they pushed no envelopes for the second album in a row. Not one song has any artistic depth beyond 'the system is broke' which is tired at this point. Both Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry pointed to flaws in society, people, relationships, hinting at larger problems with government and civilization that were explored in Absolution and BH&R. I think one problem is that Muse ran out of room to expand or was not creative enough to find room to grow with The Resistance. It's the same damn song.

There aren't any song on The Resistance that I care to listen to more than once. There is no complexity that I want to revisit and explore. This is a problem with pop music in general and why you don't hear most of it again after ten years, but previously Muse was not plagued by this issue. I really don't know what happen, but the technicality/musicality just fell right the hell off. The song I personally believe to be the best (Undisclosed Desires) is more of a hiphop tune than anything else. It's distinctly Muse, but it would be a b-side on any other album of theirs. Come on! What ya got?

/gah

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:On a similarly similar note, when I was into Korn and their ilk, the fact that "Follow the Leader" had 12 tracks of just silence at the beginning of the CD bugged the hell out of me. It was like a whole hidden freakin' CD!

Speaking of annoying CD-concepts: Twin CD's. It's like a double CD, but you have to play the two discs at the same time. How am I supposed to listen to the Locust album "Wrong" in my car, or on the computer, or as backgroundmusic during RPG's, ...?
At least "Adaptation and Survival: The Insect Project" from Tribes of Neurot has a mixed CD with how it could sound if I ripped the first CD and remixed it.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Chavroux wrote:
KallistiEngel wrote:On a similarly similar note, when I was into Korn and their ilk, the fact that "Follow the Leader" had 12 tracks of just silence at the beginning of the CD bugged the hell out of me. It was like a whole hidden freakin' CD!

Speaking of annoying CD-concepts: Twin CD's. It's like a double CD, but you have to play the two discs at the same time. How am I supposed to listen to the Locust album "Wrong" in my car, or on the computer, or as backgroundmusic during RPG's, ...?
At least "Adaptation and Survival: The Insect Project" from Tribes of Neurot has a mixed CD with how it could sound if I ripped the first CD and remixed it.
And sometimes it just gets ridiculous/awesome.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:01 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
Chavroux wrote:

And sometimes it just gets ridiculous/awesome.
I was about to post that. If you think 2 discs is annoying, how about 4? :P
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
H2SO4 wrote:On a related note, I hate when people say they like a band and can only name one or two songs by that band. If you like that band, then you can name more than one or two songs by them.
So if I hear a few songs by a band and I like them, and someone asks me if I like them, I'm not allowed to say so? I can see this as a problem maybe if someone is listing the band as some sort of attempt to get genre/indie/versatility cred, like if they're wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt because it's cool to be into classic rock but don't know any songs other than the singles off Dark Side of the Moon, but I tend to assume that people are honest when it comes to what music they like and aren't just trying to drop names (which is stupid anyway, even if you do like them). There are plenty of pop artists I would say I like, even if I'm only familiar with their singles.

I think that's what H2SO4 was referring to. Here are the two situations where it is totally not okay to not know about the artist you're talking about: when you're listing that band to describe your tastes ("so what kind of music do you like?"), and when you have just said something similar to "Oh me yarm I love that band!".

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:06 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:also:

i am ticked that ticketmaster and livenation, two of the biggest ripoff artists in the world, are trying to combine to make concert-goers MORE miserable and broke. ticketmaster already charges ridiculous amounts of money for tickets to shows that aren't even that expensive, livenation has a similar demeanor. combine them and you'll never be able to afford to go to a concert again.

Well said, and agreed.

I think mostly I'm just ticked at myself for not liking enough American bands/artists. Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to see an awesome concert again because half the artists I love are English or German.

On the other hand, America should randomly generate some more awesome industrial, electronic, darkwave etc. bands. BECAUSE I SAY SO.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:And sometimes it just gets ridiculous/awesome.
I was about to post that. If you think 2 discs is annoying, how about 4? :P

The worst part is that if I ever see that album in a music store, I'll think "Oh, cool, 4 discs to play together, awesome!", and buy it anyway :|

Other thing I'm ticked about:

"Whoaa, Summertime, one of my favorite songs! ... Whoaaah, and it's sang by Ella Fitzgerald! X-treme awesomeness!!! ... Oh bummer, nevermind. Louis Armstrong sings along."

or similar:

"Whoaa, an album with John Coletrane and Thelonious Monk!! ... Oh bummer, nevermind. It's from before Coltrane became clean."

... and that John Coletrane is dead. I'm thicked about that too.

guyy

Postby guyy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

When someone decides to remake a classic album for no good reason.

I mean, I'm not ultra-sentimental. If they could actually do a good job of it, it wouldn't be so bad. But the itunes samples sound like DSOTM after being puked on by a disco-rave. There's absolutely no point in remaking something unless you can improve on it; if you make it worse, it seems far more horrible than it would if you made your own album of similar quality. (And even if it was good, it'd be better if they, you know, made their own album. Whatever happened to originality?)

Of course, the most annoying part is that anyone actually likes it. Do they have no sense of quality, or are they just diehard Flaming Lips fans, or what?

Also, [404: Rest Of Post Not Found]

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:57 am UTC

guyy wrote:And even if it was good, it'd be better if they, you know, made their own album. Whatever happened to originality?

They just released a double album this year, which is also one of their best. They've got plenty of originality in them. This seems like an un-hyped little extra they decided to slide in, and I'm all for more material over less.

I'd say a good cover pretty much requires originality. Because if you're just doing the same thing as the band that did it before, it's going to suck. I haven't heard their cover album yet, but from what I've read it sounds pretty intriguing. Then again, I think Dark Side of the Moon is good but a bit on the boring side, and not nearly as psychedelic and experimental as it could have (and should have) been. If it was an album of bland covers, that would be unnecessary. But filling it with Coyne's wacky, fun psychedelic spirit sounds like a pretty good reason to me. Also, iTunes samples aren't a very good way to assess the quality of an album, especially when you're talking psychedelic music, which is built on repetition and hypnotic beats, which do not translate well to 30-second snippets.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:Hendrix's death is the first that comes to mind.

Fuck yes. Especially since Hendrix was supposed to be a member of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. It was supposed to be HELP--Hendrix, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

ELP plus Hendrix would have been insane.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Chavroux wrote:
"Whoaa, Summertime, one of my favorite songs! ... Whoaaah, and it's sang by Ella Fitzgerald! X-treme awesomeness!!! ... Oh bummer, nevermind. Louis Armstrong sings along."

You don't like LOUIS?!
uhhhh fuck.

Return to “Music”