Metal Christmas Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Crazyjosh

Metal Christmas Music

Postby Crazyjosh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Can anyone recommend some christmassy music that won't make me feel awkward, i tend to listen to music like Metallica, and i can't listen to conventional christmassy music without feeling a bit soppy, i've found "We Wish You a Metal Christmas and a Headbanging New Year" but that's it :(

Chfan

Re: Metal Christmas Music

Postby Chfan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

"Carol of the Bells" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Fuck yeah.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

Excelsis: A Dark Noel: Not really Metal, but Darkwave bands playing traditional Christmas songs. Has a nice, creepy atmosphere to it.

The Christmas Song by London After Midnight: A Goth Rock Christmas song. Personally I think it's one of their worst songs, but that's what you get when you ask for Christmas songs ;-P

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:55 am UTC

You'd think Trans-Siberian Orchestra would be good, but...don't buy an album, at least half of every TSO album I've ever heard is unbearably, embarrassingly cheesy. I'm really angry and disappointed at them.

The sad part is, the guys behind TSO used to be in Savatage, a legitimate metal band. If I was at a TSO show against my will I would spend the whole time heckling them with requests for old Savatage songs like "Hall of the Mountain King".
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas trilogy is really good if you're into symphonic rock/metal updates of Christmas songs. It's the same people from the power/progressive metal band Savatage, but the style is so different that if they didn't throw a few Savatage songs in there every once in a while, you'd think there was no relation.

Also take a look at Twisted Sister's album A Twisted Christmas. Like the rest of Twisted Sister's music, it's cheesy but still enjoyable.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Uhh, some people like cheesy. I mean, consider the entire power metal genre. Also, considering that the OP listens to Metallica and is looking for christmas music in a metal subgenre, It's no stretch to assume that he doesn't mind cheese. It's not my cup of tea, however.

Crazyjosh

Postby Crazyjosh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 am UTC

i don't particularlly mind cheese, just not something soppy, whilst i've been getting by on Slade and The Pogues' christmas songs, two songs can only stretch so far before you're sick of them :(

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:Uhh, some people like cheesy. I mean, consider the entire power metal genre. Also, considering that the OP listens to Metallica and is looking for christmas music in a metal subgenre, It's no stretch to assume that he doesn't mind cheese. It's not my cup of tea, however.

I love Metallica and power metal. Trust me on this one.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:56 am UTC

I didn't say cheesy was a bad thing, I was just giving a heads-up. I love cheesy stuff as long as it's awesomely cheesy. I loves me some power metal. Not to mention I'd listen to Jim Steinman all day if I could.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Spinal Tap - Christmas With The Devil?
Quack!

Return to “Music”