Jimi Hendrix

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

xmrsmoothx

Jimi Hendrix

Postby xmrsmoothx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:31 am UTC

Best guitarist ever. If you don't agree don't post.
I LOVE having a signature. It makes my post that much bigger.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Jimi Hendrix

Postby poxic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:36 am UTC

Heh. Methinks you're going to learn a bit about the xkcd culture.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 am UTC

I don't think you can objectively rank guitarists beyond a certain skill level, especially considering that there are a number of different styles that don't really overlap much, but I'd say he's the definitive guitarist of the style of music he was making (psychedelic blues rock), and I'd take his emotional guitar licks over Steve Vai and his ilk's bland (IMO) technical wankery any day.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:27 am UTC

subjectively I think he does everything right. Astounding virtuosity while being brilliantly creative is beyond difficult. Only a few dozen musicians, let alone guitarists, have achieved such a feat (in my mind). Adding in such soul and heart to your music and your solos makes it nigh-impossible, and Hendrix is really the standout that has accomplished that task.

imo, best all-around guitarist. i mean, if we're going into flamenco or something, sure, but as far as rock/blues/psychedelia/jazz/popular music it's Hendrix.
uhhhh fuck.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

I like what midnight says. Best all-around guitarist. You can find guitarists that are better in specific aspects of guitar-ing, but Jimi was the best, as far as the whole package goes.

As far as speed goes, he wasn't a crazy shredder at all.
As far as ear goes, I've heard better technical soloists. I like John Mayer solos better than Jimi solos for the most part, but that's just because Mayer has basically tapped into that aspect of the Jimi package and nigh-perfected it. He isn't nearly as innovative as Jimi was, or creative.
As far as song-writing goes, that purely subjective, and Jimi was definitely a good one. Doesn't mean he's the best, and there are many many songs I dislike from him.
As far as innovation goes, you caould say that Les paul, or even further back, Django Reinhardt were the real innovators. I mean, his style is a mix of many previous musicians. But He probably made the singe biggest jump forward in guitar use innovation of any other musician.
I didn't care much for his voice either, but it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

In the end, he was the best package the music world could ask for. And all on an upside down guitar.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

magriayan

Postby magriayan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

I looove Jimi... His music reminds me of nice times in my life. Hendrix is a legend indeed. My fav song is voodoo chile :)

TheMaestro

Postby TheMaestro » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

While I do love Jimi, I don't think it's fair to call him the best guitarist ever, I don't think you can compare guitarists of different genres.

I must say that one thing I love about Jimi is that he didn't name the band "The Jimi Hendrix Band" or something common like that, he called it the "Jimi Hendrix Experience", you don't just listen to it, you experience it.
The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.
~Eric Schmidt

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Tue May 18, 2010 4:07 am UTC

I respectfully disagree with the (EDIT: not-so) overall stance... See, if we're gonna talk about, say, musical importance, innovation, music per se, technique, training, solos... whatever the hell you can picture... then sure, you gotta take the corresponding factors into account like the cultural impact or the acceptance in a genre or whatever, I totally agree with that. But... if we go ceteris paribus on the subject, here's the question: is he (or was he) the greatest guitarist ever? While there's no objective way to evaluate something like that, I say yes. And I'll tell you why. Take any great guitarist that comes to your mind, literally any:

Take, for instance, Eric Clapton. He's schooled himself throughout his life and completely mastered guitar. He plays and makes it look so easy, his technique is flawless and that makes him one of the greatest guitarists out there. Now take, say, Jimmy Page. Great natural talents, loads of creativity and speed, and a violin bow to top it all. You mentioned John Mayer, pretty great guitarist but carefully schooled and perfected. Now, I could keep making a pointless and subjective list, but here's my point... you take any of those guys, and you can see them focused at their deed, pulling out brilliant performances and such, definitely masters...

But have you seen Hendrix? Guy went up on stage an did his thing, he'd just slide his hand on the guitar neck and notes magically played. He'd turn around and talk to the crew to adjust whatever was needed on his guitar in the middle of a song (heck, in the middle of a solo), he smoked, he laughed, and he even sang. Guy barely broke a sweat (and it's arguable that most that sweat came from all that hair), he'd just play his complex and fast music. Look at this, for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g0jU39Y-cE

Jimi Hendrix was raw talent. He played with such ease at such a high level... now imagine if Hendrix had the training and experience Clapton's had through the years, he'd be a monster! So you can argue someone is good or bad, but it's simply not possible to say Jimi Hendrix wasn't awesome even if you think someone is better. So: guitar skill? Hell yeah, Jimi's the king.

</opinion>
Last edited by bonzoWhale on Tue May 18, 2010 5:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue May 18, 2010 4:25 am UTC

bonzoWhale wrote:I respectfully disagree with the overall stance

Hell yeah, Jimi's the king.

You do realize that the overall stance (from me, the op, tzvibish, magriayan, at least) agrees with that statement.
uhhhh fuck.

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Tue May 18, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Fine. Then I disagree with the not so overall stance. :D

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 am UTC

Agreed. Hendrix sang with his guitar. Technically there are better players, but Jimi had a natural affinity with his instrument that just isn't matched by the likes of Page or Clapton. He treated it like a voice, just playing what he felt, knowing exactly where to go to get what he wanted out of the guitar. I genuinely think the only modern guitarist who can compare with him is Jack White.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed May 19, 2010 3:28 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Agreed. Hendrix sang with his guitar. Technically there are better players, but Jimi had a natural affinity with his instrument that just isn't matched by the likes of Page or Clapton. He treated it like a voice, just playing what he felt, knowing exactly where to go to get what he wanted out of the guitar. I genuinely think the only modern guitarist who can compare with him is Jack White.

I kinda disagree about the jack white thing. I will agree that yes, he treats it like a voice, and he knows exactly where to go to get what he wants out of the guitar. I think Jack White is a pretty good player.
BUT
Jack White's solos are, as far as I know, prepared in the studio and stuff, pre-written, and he sits down with a guitar, a pencil, and a paper (or whatever) to say "okay, I want to evoke this emotion so I am going to do this on the guitar and use these effects" (*this is how it seems to me. i'm not a huge white stripes expert) wheras Hendrix was a master--nay, a legend--at improvisation.

that ball & biscuit song is pretty impressively inspired by hendrix, though.
uhhhh fuck.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:Jack White's solos are, as far as I know, prepared in the studio and stuff, pre-written, and he sits down with a guitar, a pencil, and a paper (or whatever) to say "okay, I want to evoke this emotion so I am going to do this on the guitar and use these effects" (*this is how it seems to me. i'm not a huge white stripes expert) wheras Hendrix was a master--nay, a legend--at improvisation.

that ball & biscuit song is pretty impressively inspired by hendrix, though.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong and he does do what you say. But having seen the White Stripes and the Raconteurs live, as well as happening to catch him coming on stage to do a solo with the Last Shadow Puppets, I have a reasonable belief that he is a hell of an improviser.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

JamesB707

Postby JamesB707 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:17 am UTC

I agree, Jimmy was the best guitarist ever. I sometimes wonder what he would be playng if he was still with us today.

icanflywaitno

Postby icanflywaitno » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:19 am UTC

Not even going to bother posting a long post about why he is, and why he's not.

It really just depends on what music you play.

Don't get me wrong, Hendrix IS in my long list of amazing guitarists. He's up there with Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, etc.

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:13 am UTC

JamesB707 wrote:I agree, Jimmy was the best guitarist ever. I sometimes wonder what he would be playng if he was still with us today.

My uncle says his death was only fair to the rest of the guitarists of the world xD

demian

Postby demian » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:34 am UTC

Arguably,the worlds best guitarrist. Without him,music wouldn't be the same.
In fact,purpple haze is my cel phone's ringtone :P.

Return to “Music”