Trance-inducing music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

levicc00123

Trance-inducing music

Postby levicc00123 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

Does anyone know of any good songs or albums that can induce a trance-like state on the listener?

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Re: Trance-inducing music

Postby Dasboard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

Pfff....

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, is a classic one. Amazing.
Pink Floyd - High Hopes, is more floaty ( ? ) and hypnotizing. Go search it on youtube, watch it on full screen, turn on your lava lamps, turn off the lights and empty your mind....

Also, what music brings you into a "trance" differs for everyone.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Psychedelic folk music seems quite good at this. Check out Six Organs of Admittance's School of the Flower, or Natural Snow Building's Dance of the Moon and Sun.

Also, drone music, especially SunnO)))'s Monoliths and Dimensions and Earth's Earth 2.

You might also want to check out Silver Apples' first two albums, I find their music to be pretty hypnotic.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

Pink Floyd:

On the run
Set the controls for the heart of the sun (You must, MUST listen to this. Just saying. No pressure. But you MUST :P )
Careful with that axe Eugene
Alan's psychedelic breakfast
Interstellar Overdrive

Skazi : Outer Space (Especially good after 7 raw shots of vodka)

(I don't listen much to trance music as such but Skazi was good, in my amateur opinion).
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

I recommend just listening to the entire Dark Side of the Moon album by Pink Floyd. If that doesn't work, I doubt anything will...

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 am UTC

CHR1110 wrote:I recommend just listening to the entire Dark Side of the Moon album by Pink Floyd. If that doesn't work, I doubt anything will...
There is plenty of music out there that is far more hypnotic than Pink Floyd.

I'm a bit of a psychedelic music junkie. Love, love, love it. And I like Dark Side of the Moon, but there's an entire field of music devoted to trancelike states, and Pink Floyd is really only the tip of the iceberg.

Another band, which I'm surprised I forgot in the last post, is Les Rallizes Dénudés, their '77 Live album specifically. And if you're looking for a catchier, more accessible sort of music, you can't go wrong with Animal Collective, Feels and Merriweather Post Pavilion especially.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 am UTC

What exactly do you mean by trance?
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

levicc00123

Postby levicc00123 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:59 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:What exactly do you mean by trance?

I'm specifically wanting something that will help me get into the zone, which is something I don't think I've experienced before on my own.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 am UTC

The zone? As in hyperfocused on what you're doing, or as in tripping out in your head? If the former, it would depend on the activity (physical exercise, homework, driving...). For the latter, it would depend on your taste in music and what sort of trip you're looking for (intellectual, emotional, kinda-both...).
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 am UTC

levicc00123 wrote:
ChocloManx wrote:What exactly do you mean by trance?

I'm specifically wanting something that will help me get into the zone, which is something I don't think I've experienced before on my own.

Start with NEU!, the album NEU! It's the finest motorik Krautrock you'll find anywhere, and is as trance inducing as anything I've ever heard. There's tons more I and others could recommend of course, but start there.

Let us know how that goes. Definitely don't start with Pink Floyd, which will demand attention with it's catch melodies and hooks. It's trippy as hell, but it's not trance inducing.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

levicc00123

Postby levicc00123 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:14 am UTC

poxic wrote:The zone? As in hyperfocused on what you're doing, or as in tripping out in your head? If the former, it would depend on the activity (physical exercise, homework, driving...). For the latter, it would depend on your taste in music and what sort of trip you're looking for (intellectual, emotional, kinda-both...).

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I enjoy programming, so anything that will help me get hyperfocused will be helpful, although tripping out intellectually might be a good thing too.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 am UTC

I don't think that's what trance means. If fact, I think that's the opposite of what trance means.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Well, Bach is highly recommended.

I personally really like the Raster Noton label, and suggest you try any of the Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto collabs, or Ryoji Ikeda's Dataplex album. Very simple, mathematical, sometimes rhythmic. Give it a go.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Everything about Raster-Noton is wonderful. Add SND to Ikeda and Noto, or Byetone if you want a bit more dance-oriented stuff. Incredible.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:55 am UTC

If you want something to focus by, I also suggest Bach, on piano. You will regret it if you buy a harpsichord or organ recording.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:You will regret it if you buy a harpsichord or organ recording.

Explain.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

The sound of harpsichord/organ itself is distracting. In particular the harpsichord.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:36 am UTC

Some albums by Autechre seem to be helpful for thing; stuff like Amber, Tri Repetae and even their latest Oversteps is pretty focused and not very distracting.

Music for 18 Musicians by Steve Reich, maybe, but the jury's still out on that one.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

what about.. trance music? like the crystal method?
uhhhh fuck.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Qawwali music. Specifically Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T3qVYVV__U

I highly recommend it.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

There's an electronic ambient album named "dreamfish" by pete namlook and mixmaster morris (both of very high regard in the ambient scene). Contains a 28-minute track called "hymn" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgQvDn4cgsM) that's the most hypnotic thing I've ever heard, and I'm big on psychedelic music.. May be a bit hard to obtain, though, but very highly recommended.

What will be easier to get is anything by Shpongle or OTT. Less on the hypnotic side, but enchanting. As far as trance music is concerned, go for the older stuff as the newer is much more dance-oriented. Hallucinogen, Astral Projection and Cosma are good artist to start with.

And yes, what dream said. Being in trance is emptying your mind, allowing yourself to be controlled. Not a state of mind for churning out algorithms. Believe me, I'm a software engineer :)
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:31 am UTC

You guys are freaking me out. I just listened to Neu! for the first time today, and Pink Floyd and Silver Apples all in the past hour.

Anyways, you guys are going too poppy, probably. I think he's probably looking for something like the last half of I Want You (She's So HEavy), which, according to one redditor "The end used to disturb me as a kid; I felt like my body was being taken over by the sound, like it was seeping into my ears and filling up my soul with nothingness. I had to turn it off. But now I love it."

Besides that, I recommend OP try this page out, specifically the Trance tab: "http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/music.swf"

It has plenty of samples.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

psyEDk

Postby psyEDk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:58 am UTC

As much as i appreciate the classics like Floyd, i AM surprised little mention of modern electronic trance music has been made.
A majority of my music collection is made up of tracks with hypnotic trance-inducing melodies, tight percussion, and driving basslines.

Some favourite producers include Hallucinogen, John O'Callaghan, Space Cat, Ovnimoon, Ticon, Mike Koglin, D-Nox & Beckers, and Richie Chris Liebing.
Check them out!
Extremely varied styles there - ranging from minimal to prog to trance to psychedelic - but all are bound to put you into some kind of trance.

@OP - It does depend on your music tastes but when i'm coding i alternate between wanting to have downtempo techno or very fast trance playing to help me focus and get in the zone :)
psy/OPs :.
Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter
¯ Project 2501

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

Didgeridoo by aphex twin should do it (especially if you just swallowed a handful of E)
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:(especially if you just swallowed a handful of E)

If by "trance" you mean "coma that heralds a quick death", then yes.
uhhhh fuck.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

I mean, if you're considering a trance to be a state where you don't really have to pay attention to the song and are capable of not listening to it because nothing much new is happening in the song and/or the new elements are introduced at such a slow rate that if you aren't paying attention you won't notice and be unable to point out the time of transfer... uh.. Lucy's Fucking Sky by Lords of Acid, maybe? Or.. really, a fair amount of their discography?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirHoundalot

Postby SirHoundalot » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

Check out Tim Hecker. His album Radio Amor is a good place to start.

Also:

Vladislav Delay
Sunn o)))
James Blackshaw

I listen to 6-8 hours of music on headphones 5 days a week whilst coding at work. I doubt I'd get half as much done without this kind of music. If I've got a lot to get on with and need uber-focus I turn to the heavilyy minimal stuff like Donato Dozzy's mixes or even Sandwell District

Enjoy!

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

Excellent suggestions!

neoteric

Postby neoteric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:13 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6yk2M-K4-0

Mantra chant. I have a full hour and ten minute recording of it.

Return to “Music”