Lady Gaga, anyone?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

1337geek

Re: Lady Gaga, anyone?

Postby 1337geek » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:She's a thief. She stole Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, Fugue No. 24 in B minor, BWV 869. Not only that, she's playing it way too fast and in the wrong key!!(She is playing A minor, which would still be the wrong key even with a HIP performance.)

I take it you also hate "Let It Be" by the Beatles.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:I take it you also hate "Let It Be" by the Beatles.
I can't tell where they ripped out of a classical piece. So if they did at all, they hid it well.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

Oh, and "All you need is love".
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Oh, and "All you need is love".

At least that one has a point, and it blends much, much better.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Back on topic mk? Lady Gaga has the best outfits, and her music videos are a source of nightly entertainment to many.

I am particularly fond of the chastity-belt-style metal panties she wears with chainmail in the Bad Romance video.

I'm also inordinately attracted to her body. She's not stick thin, but she's not fat. She's juuuust right.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Maple_fish

Postby Maple_fish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Can't really say its for me, but it grates less on my nerves than most pop music. I'm surprised something as unpredictable as her is selling so well to such a large audience though. Good luck to her

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:21 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:I disagree that it is poorly done. Seriously, which does it take more effort to do, copy it exactly or do what she has done to it? And which would work better with the rest of the track?
She is copying it exactly. Not only that, it is (in my opinion) out of character from the rest of the piece. In particular, I was expecting the song to be darker given the intro.

Could you be more specific? I listened to something called Fugue No. 24 in B minor, but which might be something completely different because napster is full of lies, and I don't hear the resemblance. I don't know much about music theory, so I'm just curious really. And actually, I need to rethink the whole thing, because I don't actually remember what a clavier is...
yeah, didn't have the version of Bad Romance with the intro on it.
Pez Dispens3r wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:Does her style qualify as cyber-punk?

I wouldn't have thought so: more retro-future, modernism, and glam. It is nice to have her about, and eclipsing smelly Perry.
I like Retro Future. I was thinking about putting together a cyber-punk outfit next time I make it to a thrift store, but retro-future sounds better.
Does anyone else in music qualify as retro-future? I would maybe say Muse, at least music-video wise (the Uprising video has what looks suspiciously like homage to Brazil, which easily defines the term). Not very glamorous tho'. Klaxons have kind of a similar surreal glam look, less classy in the retro-future department. None of them sound much alike.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Does anyone else in music qualify as retro-future?

Flight of the Conchords.

meatyochre wrote:Back on topic mk? Lady Gaga has the best outfits, and her music videos are a source of nightly entertainment to many.

I think I'm on the side that appropriating classical music, or indeed anything, into new songs is hit and miss but should never be denigrated. I think the "hands-off" approach encouraged by copyright leaves art dead. Like, I think "Mad World" is a very dynamic song because of all the ways it has been covered. The original I find too dated--an artefact of a different time--and if I only knew that version then I wouldn't like the song. But because other artists have found it, and blatantly stolen it, I can say I love the song. I think an attitude that Gaga's use of classical music is wrong is an attitude that believes classical music should be locked in an ivory tower and inaccessible to modern audiences, which doesn't to me seem like the attitude of a music lover.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:I think an attitude that Gaga's use of classical music is wrong is an attitude that believes classical music should be locked in an ivory tower and inaccessible to modern audiences, which doesn't to me seem like the attitude of a music lover.
I only said it should have been put together better. I am not against people using it in pop, but just against being done poorly. After an intro like that, I expect everything to sound much darker and gothic. Heck, I doubt I would spare her if she rips out a Harry Potter soundtrack of a Bach Fugue.

This is what I mean by done well (yes, it's comedy and not pop, but you get the idea)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlCu1_noTc
I think this one also has a wayyyyyy better blend, or maybe it's just I don't like Gaga in general. Even after the intro, you can hear Mozart's 40th symphony being played in the background, remixed, and fits harmonically.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oS9zC0CXiM

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote: maybe it's just I don't like Gaga in general.

Gee, ya think? You've changed your argument for why using a bit of Bach is bad about half a dozen times, each time once you've been shown why you're not holding any of those "principled" views consistently.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

He doesn't need a rational reason to dislike her or the classical covers she implements.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Right, but then he should stop pretending he has one.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

Why does it matter? You logical types and your logic confound me.

Gaga's a love-it-or-hate-it type of artist. I just happen to love it :)

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
achan1058 wrote: maybe it's just I don't like Gaga in general.

Gee, ya think? You've changed your argument for why using a bit of Bach is bad about half a dozen times, each time once you've been shown why you're not holding any of those "principled" views consistently.

gmalivuk wrote:Right, but then he should stop pretending he has one.
I though I was pretty consistent, on it being poorly done, maybe I am just bad at explaining myself. (the thief call is a joke)

pheonixduprese

Postby pheonixduprese » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:33 am UTC

I think we should now commence discussion about the Telephone music video, IN DEPTH. Points to consider-

How it's basically a sequal to Paparazzi music vid

Prison for Bitches

Comments yelled by inmates when she's hanging on the cell door

Pussy Wagon

Kill a cow, you gotta make a burger

The food scene

Anything else? It's kinda a wierd music vid... but I LOVE IT! Anyway. Comments and douchebaggery, recomence.
Candace wrote: She's like CATNIP for BOYS! She's BOYNIP!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

"I told you she didn't have a penis" or dick or *beep* I forget the exact wording... I like the self/fan awareness there.

The Gaga Beyonce relationship is just kind of fascinating.

I like the great danes that she has in her videos.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

I already said this, but the prison scene of the "Telephone" video reminds me a lot of the video for "Good Girls Go to Heaven" by Pandora's Box. Even if you disagree with me, it's a freakin' awesome song, so check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZ2ufuKob0
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Vigilant Citizen had an AWESOME blog post about how Telephone was all about mind control.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3423

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 pm UTC

I disagree with the idea the Paparazzi video was about her being mind controlled to kill he man. I think she killed him because he pushed her off the fucking balcony when she was making it so he could not get his face famous for making out with her.
Just me.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:04 am UTC

Sophy, it can be both, that is the cool thing about symbolism. :D

judenihal

Postby judenihal » Sat May 01, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

Can I please replace Lady Gaga! I also make music! I used to be honoured in my school for the songs I make, they were amateur though.

pheonixduprese

Postby pheonixduprese » Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 am UTC

Actually, Paparazzi is (edit: probably!) about fame. Her boyfriend is fame/fans/paparazzo/stalkers/dangerous people, and she's showing how she can conquer those things- in a rough way. If any of you saw her live performance at the MTV awards, in the beginning she sings, "I hope the fame doesn't take my life," but it does. So her music vid. and performance are rather contradictory, but carry the same message.

BTW, her performance is on youtube. Just search "Paparazzi Lady Gaga MTV" and that should be sufficient.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon May 17, 2010 4:16 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Vigilant Citizen had an AWESOME blog post about how Telephone was all about mind control.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3423

Monarch Programming.

Can't find anything reputable on monarch programming. Conspiracy theory stuff mostly. But other than that, the post was pretty entertaining.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:48 am UTC

She's a musician? I thought she was a fashion model. *goes to watch one of her videos on youtube*
Yep. Fashion model.
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:54 am UTC

HermanBlount wrote:She's a musician? I thought she was a fashion model. *goes to watch one of her videos on youtube*
Yep. Fashion model.

Since when does she have to choose one or the other? I'm pretty sure most famous singers wear clothing.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 am UTC

HermanBlount wrote:She's a musician? I thought she was a fashion model. *goes to watch one of her videos on youtube*
Yep. Fashion model.

No. She's a serious musician who decided to go the weird-sexy-fluffy-pop route to instant fame, rather than continuing to slug it out as just another singer-songwriter that no one's heard of (Stephanie Germanotta, anyone? Anyone?).
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:07 am UTC

poxic wrote:No. She's a serious musician who decided to go the weird-sexy-fluffy-pop route to instant fame, rather than continuing to slug it out as just another singer-songwriter that no one's heard of (Stephanie Germanotta, anyone? Anyone?).
You mean "was". I am impressed though, she can actually sing (it didn't felt autotuned), and can write jazz.

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

I don't want to be too antagonistic here, so I'll preface this with "In my opinion".

Pop music has been the least innovative genre of music since the Beatles codified the method for turning it into an international money-maker. What has occurred in pop music is a sort of replaceable parts approach. Mass production is great, in many cases. I like getting a Big Mac. It's always the same delicious flavor with no surprises. But in the case of pop music, every possible configuration of the formula has been done hundreds, if not thousands of times. I'm quite certain that I could easily find dozens of songs that I could layer over any of Gaga's music and the song structure (even many of the melodies) would match perfectly.

So what sets this music apart from the thousands of other pop songs? Her outfits and her videos. If she's designing her own outfits, then she's a fashion designer. She performs on stage and in videos? She's an actress. Though, I'd credit the writer/director more than I'd credit Gaga. Why do you think all the big pop acts are lead by a super attractive performer? Are unattractive people incapable of creating this type of simplistic music? Of course not. What they're selling is an image and you shouldn't delude yourself into thinking your buying it for the music because, as a pop fan, you already own this music many times over.

That said, if you like Gaga's music, it doesn't matter what I think. So, please, Gaga fans don't take it personally. Enjoy!

poxic wrote:She's a serious musician who decided to go the weird-sexy-fluffy-pop route to instant fame

"Is the Dark Side stronger?"
"No! Quicker, easier, more seductive."

So, she gave up being a serious musician for fame and riches. Not very admirable.
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

But I'm not a consumer of pop music at all, I'm just a fan of hers because she seems to me to be fun and innovative. So to me, her music is maybe something fresher than it seems it is to you.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:11 pm UTC

She's also 24, she's got time to get back to more "serious" pursuits. What sets any pop-artist apart from the rest? Creativity and character, as much as the "clothes" she wears are attention grabbers, it's stage presence as well. To be fair, she seems to owe some propsshe hasn't owned up to yet.
In other news, she identified as feminist! seen here coordinating outfits with Larry King.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

She reminded me of Hedwig there in the beginning.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
Yep. Fashion model.

No. She's a serious musician who decided to go the weird-sexy-fluffy-pop route to instant fame, rather than continuing to slug it out as just another singer-songwriter that no one's heard of (Stephanie Germanotta, anyone? Anyone?).

I can honestly say that in that video I have no interest in Lady GaGa at all. She's indistinguishable from half the people on my Youtube Subscription feed.

Omerprime

Postby Omerprime » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Lady Gaga = Icky yucky sucky.
ImageImage

pheonixduprese

Postby pheonixduprese » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:23 am UTC

Anybody see the new Alejandro music vid? Woot. Woot. Epic. Ness. In. Video. Format.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:27 am UTC

Jesse wrote:I can honestly say that in that video I have no interest in Lady GaGa at all. She's indistinguishable from half the people on my Youtube Subscription feed.

Really, guy? I'm not aware of the contents of your youtube subscriptions list... obviously... but I'd be interested to know who you find similar to her other than Christina Aguilera and other Gaga-copycats.

Most of the reason I enjoy Gaga is her complete originality. How many music videos like Bad Romance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I) exist nowadays? None that I am aware of.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 am UTC

Eh, I agree with Jesse that she, in that video, is about as good as the some of the people I've seen uploading stuff to youtube... but all those people I love on youtube are also really good too and should absolutely be famous and rich for what they do (well, as long as they want it).

Ex; marasy8 does a bunch of Touhou Piano Arrangements, though I guess most of you aren't familiar with Touhou, so I'll go with one of his BeatmaniaIIDX arrangements instead (which at least some of you should be able to recognise). Scorpion Fire by marasy8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwBhMeipkQ - But still, I think Stefani is pretty good given the crap there is out there (and making heaps of money and being all in the spotlight), especially in complacent pop.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

AwTin

Postby AwTin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

I like a lot of Lady Gaga's music. However, "Bad Romance" is an effing terrible song. The intro is so stupid. Someone want to explain why it's the all-time most-watched video on YouTube?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

meatyochre: I was specifically responding to the video posted in this thread where she just sings a blandly normal song in a bland and normal way.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:05 am UTC

AwTin wrote:I like a lot of Lady Gaga's music. However, "Bad Romance" is an effing terrible song. The intro is so stupid. Someone want to explain why it's the all-time most-watched video on YouTube?

There's no accounting for taste.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:15 am UTC

Jesse wrote:meatyochre: I was specifically responding to the video posted in this thread where she just sings a blandly normal song in a bland and normal way.

oh, that's fair.

I have a lot of fun looking up Stefani(sp?) Germanotta on youtube and seeing what she looks like when she isn't all dolled-up and trying to be outrageous. She's a very good singer and pretty underneath the fame shield she's spray-painted onto herself.

Return to “Music”