Recommend me some Swing!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

General_Norris

Recommend me some Swing!

Postby General_Norris » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

Because I think I like it and have no idea about the genre.

So, any recommendations?

Sasha

Re: Recommend me some Swing!

Postby Sasha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

Hmm, if you want swing revival, try Squirrel Nut Zippers. For classic, I'd go with Count Basie.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

Benny Goodman's Carniege Hall concert is incredible.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

icelizarrd

Postby icelizarrd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:26 am UTC

I'm not precisely clear on what makes something Swing as opposed to, say, jazz; but I think it's something like being catchy, more appealing to the average listener, dance-y, more often featuring vocalists and big-band qualities, and having a certain sort of 1930s-50s pop aesthetic. Anyway, now that I've established I (don't) know what I'm talking about, I'll recommend a bunch of songs/groups!

The Andrews Sisters are great, The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy is very representative of the genre, as is Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen,

Benny Goodman (mentioned above) is good too, popular choices might be Sing Sing Sing and In The Mood.

Beyond Benny Goodman, a lot of other early jazz musicians made capital-S Swing (arguably that's pretty much just what Swing is--early jazz), although you may have to search it out from amid rather different music. There's Count Basie, as mentioned above, also Duke Ellington, Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong (although I think his music was typically more down-tempo, less dance-energetic), Glenn Miller, and Nat King Cole. Others would include Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane, and Charlie Parker... I think it'll be a little harder to find the same aesthetic there, though. Same deal with Nina Simone and Frank Sinatra, though coming from a different direction.

For more mordern-ish Swing, Cherry Poppin' Daddies (e.g. Zoot Suit Riot).

Hmm, can't actually think of that much more. But, the intro/theme/credits music from Les Triplettes De Belleville is actually really awesome. There are several different versions, here's the one that plays in the intro: Belleville Rendez-Vous (WARNING: Shows a topless cartoon woman about halfway through. Also, the volume is really low on that clip. ...And the clip is just plain weird, it's from the movie which itself is quite weird). Here's the version that plays in, I think, the credits: M - Les triplettes de Belleville.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:25 am UTC

Personally, I'd recommend Jimmy Dorsey, but that's because I'm a sax player. I'd also recommend putting some of the suggestions in this thread into last.fm, you'll get a lot of the other suggestions, and some not mentioned.

And, since Sing, sing, sing was mentioned, this version with Gene Krupa on the drums is excellent. Unfortunately, it is not the full song.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Duke Ellington.
uhhhh fuck.

sircrayons

Postby sircrayons » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:40 am UTC

As a clarinet player myself, I'd second (third? fourth?) Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw. For something more modern, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is fantastic. Not the best vocals, but the musicianship is top-notch and they are a ton of fun to listen to.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

If you want a more concert-oriented Swing album, the Boston Pops' "Runnin' Wild" is an entertaining (if not entirely academic) album to listen to.

Return to “Music”