Led Zeppelin

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

kaimason1
WINNING

Led Zeppelin

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 am UTC

I was searching the forum and was very surprised to find Led Zeppelin had no real thread (there were those about them touring in this or that place, but none for discussion of them as a band). In my own opinion, they are one of, if not the, greatest rock bands of all time. What are your thoughts on them? Favorite songs? Least favorite songs? Interesting trivia? To start, some of my favorite songs from them are Kashmir, When the Levee Breaks, Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog, and Whole Lotta Love.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

Smiling Hobo

Re: Led Zeppelin

Postby Smiling Hobo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 am UTC

Led Zeppelin is awesome! It annoys me that "Stairway to Heaven" and "Immigrant Song" are two of their most famous songs, though, since neither of them really showcases what the band is capable of. "Trampled Underfoot" (actually, the entirity of Physical Graffiti, basically) is great, as are "When The Levee Breaks" and "Tangerine".
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Physical Graffiti is the best album ever made. Just my personal opinion. And it also contains my favorite Led Zeppelin song, In My Time of Dying.

I love love love love love Led Zeppelin. It's really hard for me to rank my favorite bands, since I have such an eclectic taste in music, but if not #1, Led Zeppelin is definitely way up there.

I never really understand why Stairway to Heaven was their most famous song. It's a great song, but it's not even close to being the greatest Zeppelin song (again, just my personal opinion).
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Krong

Postby Krong » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:58 am UTC

I don't know about it being the greatest of their songs, but it has a lot of good things going for it that a lot of the songs mentioned so far (Immigrant Song, Kashmir, When the Levee Breaks) don't. It's got very memorable, meaningful lyrics; the first line alone gives it a lot of this. It's much more varied than those songs, with a few distinct sections amid a gradual crescendo to the end. You probably get people who like it especially for the slow, Renaissancey section at the start, and people who like it especially because of the climactic guitar solo. It also has a bit of mystery that reinforces its fame: were the guitars in tune? are there hidden Satanic messages when you play it backwards?

It has a Lord of the Rings allusion, too, like a few other songs of theirs, but I doubt that accounts for that many fans :wink:
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:59 am UTC

Achilles Last Stand
Babe I'm gonna leave you
Bron y aur stomp
Communication Breakdown
Dazed and confused
NO QUARTER.

I love every song this band has made. I mean, EVERY single song. If you ask me, Stairway to heaven and Kashmir are certainly not overrated, they're underrated. Each time I listen to Stairway, I hear something different. It's beautiful, it stirs something inside your heart. Every song.

I <3 Led Zep.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

Enormous fan of led zeppelin no.3. 'Tangerine' is one of my all time favourite songs, and I love 'immigrant song'. I've never been as keen on led zep nos. 1, 2 and 4, for some reason. I still like them, but not as much.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Hurt

Postby Hurt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

The beginning of Ten Years Gone is amazing, unfortunately it seems to be overseen..

One of the things i like the most about Led Zeppelin, is that if I hear ten second from any part of any song, I can tell what song it is. I think it is awesome that they were able to create such different sounds.

mclaughlin129

Postby mclaughlin129 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:04 am UTC

Well, no ones posted my favorite Led Zeppelin song, so I'm going to: The Battle of Evermore. However i can see why Stairway to Heaven is made such a big deal of since it gives such a broad spectrum of the groups talents and if an easily recognizable and catchy song.
I do have a question: the only recordings i have of Led Zeppelin is a copy of my father's LP of Led Zeppelin III. So, if I want to start my own collection, which album should I get and why?

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:12 am UTC

I too love the band. Aside from Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven, and Battle of Evermore and others mentioned that I love, What is and What should never be is one that I'm a big fan of.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:20 am UTC

Another big fan here. I discovered the Zep after trading a Pearl Jam CD I bought and didn't like (at the time) for Led Zeppelin IV, to which I listened over and over and over, drifting into Tolkien-ish fantasies of magic and nature. Well, I was 13. I still think that "Battle of Evermore" is the essential Zep song - so magically ambient and powerful.

I watched "The song remains the same" not long ago, and let me tell you, it's one of the most awful live shows I've ever seen. Page is so (rightfully) proud of his guitar mastery that he gives too long and winding solos that constitute most of the songs and take them over. Plant is so happy with himself as well that he garbles all the lyrics and melodies and slurs gibberish or yells 'do it! do it!' most of the time, while almost literally wagging his ding-dong at the audience. I dunno, maybe it was filmed at a time when they were too smitten with success/exhausted from touring/high on coke/all of the above, but it sure made me less regretful for not being alive at the time and place to see them live.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Jins

Postby Jins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

I have all their albums. Love them to bits.
Physical Graffiti is one of the best albums ever made. 'In My Time Of Dying' and 'Since I've Been Loving You' are simply amazing songs.
Stairway to Heaven is amazing but overrated compared to some their other stuff.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

une see wrote:Physical Graffiti is the best album ever made. Just my personal opinion. And it also contains my favorite Led Zeppelin song, In My Time of Dying.

Also my favourite! Just amazing, amazing song. That slide guitar... that drum beat... that riff... unbelievable, especially the moment where the drums kick into double time.

I also love their version of The Lemon Song, The Ocean and Rock And Roll. But one I'm surprised that's not mentioned more is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

TheMaestro

Postby TheMaestro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

I don't know if this is just a revelation to me or not, but I recently learned that "When The Levee Breaks" is actually a cover of a 1920's song by Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie.
The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.
~Eric Schmidt

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Led Zeppelin is a band that showed me the line between awesome and awful can be so absurdly thin that you can be both at the same time. For starters, I could never figure out what makes John Bonham stand out as a drummer other than the fact that he didn't know the concept of quiet/loud dynamics (basically he only knew loud/loud dynamics) and that he has made the SINGLE WORST DRUM SOLO in my whole music collection (actually the two worst: I have the live version from The Song Remains the Same as well). I think the only musician I can absolutely respect in that band is John Paul Jones, and even then his supposed "masterpiece" (No Quarter) does absolutely nothing to me. They could range from truly invigorating and beautiful (say, What Is and What Should Never Be and The Rain Song) to absolutely bland and dull (The Battle of Evermore -- which singlehandedly started the movement of "bad Tolkien fanfiction" -- and Rock and Roll). Also, Page and Plant had serious problems with their ego -- so serious that it spoiled even the studio recordings.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

TheMaestro wrote:I don't know if this is just a revelation to me or not, but I recently learned that "When The Levee Breaks" is actually a cover of a 1920's song by Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie.

A hell of a lot of their songs are either covers of classic blues songs or adaptations of them. Most of their songs are just blues anyway. But I love blues, which is yet another reason why I love the Zep.

Funny story: I put them on today to go to work, and immediately found myself more productive. I put a message to this effect on my Facebook status: "Amazing how much more productive you can be when you've got Led Zeppelin on." Many people clicked Like.

I then happened to be going through my Twitter history for unrelated reasons later on. I found the tweet "Amazing what you can do when you're listening to Zeppelin." from six months ago.

I am now resolved to only listen to them when trying to do work. It clearly makes me more productive.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Prospekt

Postby Prospekt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:13 am UTC

I've actually just gotten into them recently, after watching it might get loud. They're just one of those bands I've always heard about but never really listened to. I just got Led Zeppelin II, and holy shiz is whole lotta love awesome... I just started laughing after the trippy midsection when jimmy comes back in shredding with a vengeance, it was so amazing.

jycegrcia

Postby jycegrcia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:22 am UTC

I am big fan of Led Zeppelin and kashmir , heartbreaker and stairway to heaven are my favourite songs. Led Zeppelin is a finaminal rock band.They have really got some great music and deserve to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

jycegrcia wrote:.They have really got some great music and deserve to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They are already inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Happened back in 95.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

After some time listening to more recent music I finally popped the Led CDs back on, and all I could think was "GOD! Forgot how good these guys are!"... Simply put, this is the band that got me into music :P

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun May 09, 2010 5:18 pm UTC

TheMaestro wrote:I don't know if this is just a revelation to me or not, but I recently learned that "When The Levee Breaks" is actually a cover of a 1920's song by Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie.

There's a whole series of articles discussing their influences/sources they ripped-off here:

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/index.ph ... &Itemid=28

(The links to specific songs within the main page don't work; use the ones in the left sidebar.)

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Mon May 10, 2010 2:33 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:

There's a whole series of articles discussing their influences/sources they ripped-off here:

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/index.ph ... &Itemid=28

(The links to specific songs within the main page don't work; use the ones in the left sidebar.)

Lucky no one ever stated that the only way for music to be great is for it to be entirely original :P

Return to “Music”